SUN, 8:30AM ET
ALM
SUN, 8:30PM ET
LAG
SEA

What FOX Soccer 2Go Could Have Been: Looking at MLB.TV

fox soccer 2go logo What FOX Soccer 2Go Could Have Been: Looking at MLB.TV

A topic that seems to crop up a few times every season is the technical issues that FOX Soccer 2Go subscribers experience. I am a former subscriber, and one of the many problems I have had with the site is their conduct and accessibility when these issues occurred. The lack of any sort of response from FOX Soccer 2Go concerned me. Couple this with the price hike that occurred last fall with the new app, I made the decision to walk away from my monthly subscription last October. When I attempted to take part in the free trial week in February, they made me pay $20 up front, and I never saw my money returned after I ended my trial after only 4 days.

I decided to subscribe to mlb.tv last July to follow my Milwaukee Brewers in their pennant race, when I returned to college in Minnesota. If you’re unfamiliar with the service, subscribers buy packages that bring every out-of-market game (that isn’t nationally televised) to apps on computers, tablets, smartphones, as well as the PS3 and XBOX360. Additionally, subscribers receive local radio broadcasts for both home and away teams to every game (regardless of location) via smartphone, tablet and computer apps. Subscriptions are bought for the remainder of the season that vary depending on amount of content and features you desire. Additionally, returning customers get renewal price discounts. I payed a renewal rate for the Premium service back in January for the 2012 season, which averages to just shy of $14 per month during the season. I use the app on my phone daily, and I watch many games on my PS3 or my laptop despite the fact that I am back in Milwaukee and the Brewers are blacked out.

Before one baseball game last season, I never experienced any technical issues with the service in more than a year as a subscriber. I was at Miller Park watching the Brewers play the Pirates, and I tried to stream the Cincinnati Reds game between innings, but I received an error screen. I chalked it up to relatively poor 3G signal inside the ballpark. It wasn’t until later that day that I learned that a hardware malfunction occurred at the mlb.tv headquarters that knocked out the video streaming services for every game that night. That afternoon I received an email from their customer service department. Long story short, they apologized multiple times, explained their efforts to rectify the problem, and offered me a code for a significant discount off an entire order on MLB.com’s store.

FOX Soccer has come a long way from where they were, even as recent as two years ago. I love the content that they provide to their television channel. But if FOX Soccer was to continue as a network, which it isn’t, they would need to step up their efforts if they ever wanted me to come back to their product despite my feverish love for the Premier League, FA Cup and the Champions League. It’s sad to see the lengths that similar platforms go to when an isolated technical incident arises compared to disinterested outlook FOX Soccer 2Go portrayed. Mlb.tv is far from perfect, but they seem to genuinely care about me as a consumer of a product that they are proud to provide. I have access to live video for 12 games today, which is more than I can say for a normal week at FOX Soccer 2Go. Obviously that is due, in large part, to the nature of soccer as a weekly or biweekly sport due to the increased wear and tear on the body. Even still, a price per game comparison would be laughable. Or depressing. I guess that depends on your point of view.

Editor’s note: FOX Soccer 2Go recently added a live chat functionality to its product, to allow subscribers to contact FOX Soccer 2Go‘s customer support from within the app itself.

While the future of FOX Soccer 2Go looks like it’ll change into FOX Sports GO, the new app from FOX Sports 1 scheduled to be released this summer, there are still enough Premier League and Champions League matches on FOX Soccer 2Go to make it worthwhile to consider for the remaining of this season.

This entry was posted in FOX Soccer, FOXSoccer.tv, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to What FOX Soccer 2Go Could Have Been: Looking at MLB.TV

1. Justin says:

Let’s hope NBC has a decent online offering for EPL games.

I won’t be renewing my yearly subscription to foxsoccer2go because i cannot justify the expense for just Champions League, Europa League and FA Cup. If my cable company keeps Fox Soccer then I’ll be able to watch whatever they show. But I won’t watch anything on foxsoccer2go.

• CTBlues says:

Currently NBC only streams Notre Dame football, Sunday Night Football, NHL on NBC, and Golf basically anything on NBC proper. They do not stream anything that airs on NBC Sports like NHL games, IndyCar, F1, or MLS.

• Funkhowser says:

The NBC streaming app is just like WatchESPN app. You have to hope that your TV service provider has a contract with them. Currently the NBC streaming service has contracts with about 4 providers.

Hopefully they add more, which I am sure they will before the Prem starts up again in August.

ESPN does not have an agreement with Directv, so I am unable to access any of the WatchESPN content.

I hope NBC uses the same platform as the MLB.tv application so you have the ability to watch 2 games and sometimes 4 games at a time on one screen. The quality of the stream is much better than foxsoccer2go app as well.

2. CTBlues says:

Some of the MLB teams offer services to stream games in their own markets. I know the Yankees have packages if you have a certain cable providers.

3. Marc L says:

The mlbtv system is actually at the cutting edge as far as content distribution for any major sports leagues that I know of.

Great technical support the one time I found it to not be working. Extremely broad access to pretty much all league games. (A few restrictions on Saturday afternoon games and if you want to watch you local team’s games aside.)

Good thing to throw on in the evenings in the US during that interregnum that lasts between mid-May and Mid August.

I am wondering if NBC will be utilizing their HULU system for the LEague next year. Seems logical. And, needless to say, sign me right up if that’s the case.

4. Todd says:

I also have a subscription for the MLB.TV package. What’s great about it is that I can stream games even over my wireless provider.
    I did my own review of FOXSoccer2GO. I was extremely disappointed with it. I attempted to stream the Manchester United v Real Madrid champions league match and it was an awful experience. Not only was it not available for about the first 20 minutes of the match, but after that it wasn’t even possible to watch. This was on 4gLTE as well.

What I love about MLB is that it is a very affordable service and you can choose the audio or the video. I have not had problems with either in a long time (I did have some issues with my old phone not being compatible). I can always stream either and even the video works pretty well on 3g.

5. Frank says:

For NBC it’s going to be about access and affordability. Let’s hope they follow the MLB model.

6. Freddy says:

Had MLB.tv. It really is the best sevice of all the leagues. Just had to cancel because of constant lagging (because of my internet speeds). Switched to Extra Innings instead on Directv which I really enjoy watching 8 games at once. I wished NBC would do something like that.