Roy Hodgson Attacks Clubs for Treating International Breaks as Holiday: The Nightly EPL
Roy Hodgson came out Thursday on the attack, saying that too many Premier League clubs treat internationals as a vacation. Hmm, maybe everyone should stop calling it the international break, for starters?!
“These breaks are being seen as the 10-day break that you don’t always get during the season. It concerns me that we are guilty of accepting it’s the international break so we can give the player 10 days off to go to Dubai. I would still like to see the international break being a time when players go to play for their international teams, and it is seen as an important time.
“If you’re a club manager now you’ve got no excuse. Uefa are putting an end to the friendly debate by putting them in clearly defined international dates so you can quite easily plan your time around these blocks. If your players need a rest it’s not obligatory that it has to be during the international break. It can be done during the other 40-odd weeks of the year when they are with their clubs.”
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Roy Hodgson attacks clubs for treating international breaks as holiday — The Guardian
- Emmanuel Adebayor’s terrible penalty miss: GIF and the best tweets — 101 Great Goals
- Brian McDermott to be in charge of Leeds for Sheffield Wednesday derby — The Guardian
- Fulham midfielder Ashkan Dejagah will miss the rest of the Premier League season — The Independent
- Fulham winger Buomesca Tue Na Bangna has signed a new 3-year contract with the club — Sky Sports
- La Liga seeks collective TV rights deal to close gap on Premier League — The Guardian
- England drop to seventh in Fifa world rankings following Montenegro World Cup draw — Telegraph
- André Villas-Boas hails Tottenham ‘heroes’ after defeat on penalties — The Guardian
- David Silva losing battle to play in Manchester City v Chelsea FA Cup semi-final — The Mail
- Liverpool believe they can pip Arsenal to Swansea’s £12m-rated Ashley Williams — Telegraph
- Newcastle United’s depleted side fall tantalisingly shy of their goal | Louise Taylor — Guardian
- Gary Neville reveals he has turned town two or three management offers — The Mail
- David Beckham hints at ambassadorial role with FA when he retires — The Guardian
- West Ham £10m offer for Andy Carroll below Liverpool valuation — The Mail
- Rafael Benitez: Fernando Torres not guaranteed FA Cup start — BBC Sport
- Paolo Di Canio puzzled by police warning to Newcastle fans — The Guardian
- Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana signs a new five-year contract with the club — BBC Sport
- Frank Lampard spat with David Luiz was nothing, claims Chelsea manager — The Guardian
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.