WED, 3PM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
STO
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

uefa logo Chelsea Faces Basel in Europa League Semi Final; Barcelona to Play Munich in Champions League

The draws for the Europa League and UEFA Champions League semi-finals have been made.

In the Europa League, Chelsea will face FC Basel — the team that knocked Tottenham Hotspur out of the tournament. In the other semi-final, Fenerbahce will play Benfica. The matches will be played on April 25 and May 2, with the winners playing in the Europa League Final in Amsterdam on May 15.

Meanwhile, in the UEFA Champions League, Barcelona will play Bayern Munich in the semi-final, while the other semi features Real Madrid against Borussia Dortmund. At this stage in the tournament, either semi-final would have made a wonderful final. But the way the draw has unfolded, we could see an all-German final. Or perhaps an all-Spanish final.

The Champions League semi-finals will take place on April 23-24 and April 30-May 1. The final will be played at Wembley on May 25.

What do you think Chelsea’s chances are of beating FC Basel in the semi-final? And if they win, which team would you like to see them face in the final — Fenerbahce or Benfica?

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Europa League, Leagues: EPL, UEFA Champions League. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Chelsea Faces Basel in Europa League Semi-Final; Barcelona to Play Munich in Champions League

1. soba says:

Best of luck for the blues

2. christian says:

Absolute must see matches for UCL. I wonder how much longer I’m going to be able to get away with taking a late lunch every Tuesday and Wednesday.

3. Thea says:

I am a graduate student at George Washington University and have put together a quick survey of why people support the teams they do and how committed they are to their favorite team .

Here is the link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XX75JGF – thanks for helping out!

4. Matt says:

I hope for an all German final but I unfortunately see an El Classico final, a game we see usually 4-6 times a year depending on the super cup. Bayern though has a realistic shot at beating Barcelona though, I don’t give Dortmund too many chances, only because I’m sure Real Madrid will have learned their lesson in the group stage.

In the Europa League I don’t want to see Chelsea in the final, this trophy means very little to them probably. While Benfica-Chelsea would probably be the more competitive of the finals, I’m cheering for Basel :D

5. Dave says:

The two Spanish sides have an advantage with the second leg in Spain. That’s why I thnk an all_Spanish final is more likely.

Personally I would like to see Dortmund in the final. Their supporters and colorful manager would be great at Wembley. They did well against Real Madrid in the group stage but I think Real might get past them here.

Bayern are playing beter than Barcelona at the moment but you can never count Barcelona out especially when the second leg is at home. If a Spanish team loses it would be Barcelona.

6. Dave says:

Chelsea will be heavy favorites to beat Basel and reach the final. Second leg at Stamford Bridge as well.

This could be a repeat of 2004 when Mourinho’s Porto won the Chmapions League and Rafa’s Valencia won the European Cup. Could history repeat itself?

7. CTBlues says:

I’m pulling for an all German Final.

8. dust says:

Dortmund beat Madrid, perhaps with a another swipe mourinho will fix it, but Klopp is no muppet, he will make adjustment too, an all german final is more likely in my opinion than an el Classico.

my Money is on Dortmund to win it all.

i want Basle to beat CFC but I don’t think they will, we had 10 men and lost on Penalties without 6 of our starters, so i think CFC will win, not too comfortably but comfortable non the less.

Brad Freezals mistakes in both legs cost us… its time for Brad to hang up his boots and focus on coaching… he’s a lovely person Im sure, but now is the time to switch focus.