SUN, 8:30AM ET
TRI
THFC
SAT, 7:45AM ET
AST
NEW

Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe Expected to Join NBC’s EPL Coverage

robbie earle robbie mustoe 600x300 Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe Expected to Join NBCs EPL Coverage

Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe are expected to be announced in the next few weeks as the latest additions to the NBC Sports team that will bring the English Premier League into millions of homes beginning this summer.

Rebecca Lowe has already been revealed as the host/presenter of NBC’s EPL coverage. Mustoe and Earle, who both are accomplished soccer pundits, are expected to join the equally respected Lowe.

The pieces are starting to come together for how NBC Sports will present the Premier League to US audiences beginning this August. Both Earle and Mustoe are accomplished footballers who are English, proven experts in the game as well as well versed in tactically analyzing games and sharing their keen observations with the viewer.

The trio of Lowe, Earle and Mustoe have all worked for ESPN in different stages of their career. Lowe has worked at ESPN since 2009, mostly at ESPN UK where she has been a presenter and pitch-side reporter. Former Middlesbrough footballer Mustoe has been an analyst and commentator at ESPN since 2008, while former Wimbledon and Jamaica World Cup star Earle has worked with ESPN on many occasions for ESPN International as well as appearing on its Press Pass program.

If and when Mustoe and Earle are announced as the latest addition to NBC Sports, the two will form a formidable team of experts alongside Lowe. Mustoe, for a long time, has been one of ESPN’s most consistent and informative commentators. His style is more reserved, but what he says is often very intelligent and informative. Similarly, Earle has several years of experience covering matches. Many of us first heard him as a regular TWI co-commentator on Premier League matches. More recently, Earle has commentated MLS games for both NBC Sports and Portland Timbers.

What are your thoughts on the expectations that Mustoe and Earle will join NBC Sports as two of their experts on the English Premier League? Share your opinions in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, NBC. Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Robbie Earle and Robbie Mustoe Expected to Join NBC’s EPL Coverage

1. Simon Burke says:

I like Robbie Mustoe, doesnt tear up any trees with personality but you need someone to have a considered and sensible view.

Earle, I dont care either way. After his WC 2010 shenanigans I lost a little bit of respect for him.

A lot of peopel get worked up over who the half time/pre game pundits are. I dont care that much as often I go make a cup of tea or something else then. The real question is who will commentate? Like a lot of people I hope they get in Darke/Mcmanaman as poor old IAn Darke is going to get marooned with that moron Taylor Twellman for US games otherwise and that cant be pleasant.

• Andrew Beck says:

I don’t know if NBC will be hiring commentators for the games. If they’re doing as many as Fox Soccer (and I would guess they would do as many or more), they’d need at least 3 or 4 sets . I think it’s more likely they do what Fox does and just take the English commentators. If they do hire any, they’d probably be just for their feature game of the week.

• Simon Burke says:

Actually thats a good point. I can imagine them changing it up for the odd United v Chelsea event with their own but for the vast majority I don’t think they can cover it either.

ESPN like to have Ian Darke plug other shows on ESPN and NBC may want to have some way of doing that and cant with the international feed.

• Wongo1 says:

As long as i never and I mean EVER have to hear “in the 6″ again during a United game I would be happy!!!

2. Mufc77 says:

Im confused a little gaffer is Rebecca Lowe, Robbie Earle & Mustoe replacing Stone,Barton and Wynalda in the pre/post game analysis shows or is Earle and Mustoe going to be actually commentating on games alongside a more seasoned football commentator?

• The Gaffer says:

It’s unclear right now. I believe it’ll be Mustoe and Earle accompanying Lowe in the studio, but we’ll have to wait to see if that’s their plan.

3. Bergkamp_10 says:

Great additions. Both will bring great experience and vast knowledge of the game to the viewing audience. Particularly in today’s ‘loud mouth’ analysis a subdued well reasoned voices are long overdue.

4. Tayo says:

Anyone but the boring guys in the fsc studio!

• Tony Butterworth says:

Not anyone, not Efan Ekoku. Worst color commentator ever. He just talks BS like he thinks the listeners wouldn’t know.

5. Terry says:

Earle and Mustoe are OK but not great. An improvement over what’s on display at Fox. The bar hasn’t been set high by Fox.

What I’m really interested in is who will be doing the commentary of the games. That’s much more important than the pre-match, halftime or post-match analysts. Let’s hope NBC has been paying atention to how people feel about what Fox has done recently with the replacement of their regular British commentators with Gus Johnson and Barton for some of the more high profile games.

6. Robert says:

By the way, who hired Taylor Twellman? I mean he’s just the most biased and uninformed commentator I’ve ever seen. Don’t they check the performance of their employees at ESPN?

7. Cpt_K says:

Lowe, Mustoe, and Earle are all solid choices. That said Earle & Mustoe don’t have much in term of personality. I hope they add one more person to the group to add a bit more color to the broadcast.

BTW what has become of Mario Rosenstock the guy that was doing Special 1 TV? This is the 2nd season there has been no puppet shows. Did he move onto a different project? I’d be okay with the return of the puppets in some form to NBC when the games begin in August.

• Robert says:

What’s all this talk about personality? What good is it if a commentator has personality but has no idea what he’s talking about. Mustoe and Earle have great knowledge about the game and know what they’re talking about. They demonstrate that day after day at ESPN.

These two guys along with Derek Rae, Adrian Healey, and Ian Darke are the best ESPN has to offer.

• The Gaffer says:

No one has picked up S1TV unfortunately. At this rate, it looks like the show is never coming back. Not sure what Rosenstock is doing these days. From time to time, I think he still appears on radio for comedy gags in Ireland.

8. Marc L says:

Lowe, Earle, and Mustoe – all good solid pros. Good to hear.

So far, so good NBC! Just don’t bugger things up and sign Wynalda or Stone or Lalas for anything!

9. Cantona says:

Hmmm I’m still concerned about commentary. Great pundits… If that’s all they do, but the two have been working as co commentators for ESPN for a while. I’m wondering if they will be partnering with Arlo? God I hope they keep the TWI feed!

Cantona—

10. gillyrosh says:

I like them both so this is good news for me.

11. He's Livid says:

Here’s what I know of the Fox talent situation. Both Rob Stone and Warren Barton are in the middle of multi year contracts, but both have “Out” clauses in the even that Fox ever looses the BPL programing rights. That has happened of course, so it will be interesting to see what developes with their careers. Stone commands a fairly hefty salary, so he may just stay put and do what ever Fox asks of him with their post BPL soccer broadcasting plans. Barton is said to love the LA lifestyle he and his family currently enjoy and would want to stay, but is gutted that Fox lost BPL rights. However, if NBC came calling, Barton would very much be interested in joining them in some capacity. Not sure about Wynalda’s situation, but I know he has strong asperations to get into coaching. Keith Costigan will play out his contract at Fox.

12. Tony Butterworth says:

My favorite commentary from the USA v Mexico highlights was the presenters insistence that a penalty had been called when the US goalie collided with the Mexico forward. What he actually meant was a foul had been called on the Mexican forward but it certainly had me confused.

13. Scrumper says:

I take it they’ll be in the studio? Rebecca Lowe can be a bit laddish which I like, Mustoe is hardly going to set the show on fire but he reads the game well and Robbie Earl should bring a bit of acid.
    Looks like NBC are covering all the bases.

There will have to be someone home grown. Please NBC don’t ruin it with that giraffe Lalas or idiot Twaddleman. I’d even take Wynalda over them.

• Mufc77 says:

Why does there have to been someone homegrown?

Pick the BEST available talent for the job regardless of nationality because if they start using people just because they are American then they are making the same mistakes FSC made.

Personally though I’d rather have a empty chair with a sack of potatoes sitting on it than have to listen to Rob stone and Eric Wynalda for the next 3 years.

I wouldn’t mind If NBC brought John strong in from FSC as he was solid when he filled in for Stone.

14. Smokey Bacon says:

Go NBC! All 3 are top draw in my book. Very impressed. See you later FSC.

15. JACK says:

both Earle and Mustoe are good. Anything better than Fox Soccer is a plus in my book.

I hope NBC knows that it is not a pre-requesite to hire American analysts. We don’t care about nationality as long as the people doing the analysis are knowledgeable.

• Eplnfl says:

Jack:

Let me say first I like everyone signed so far by NBC. We all eagerly await their first broadcast. I was hoping from some of the first comments NBC made about their productions that there would be a English studio side to the broadcasts. Akin to the productions given to US viewers of the last Olympics.

The other thing I was hoping was the NBC would find a role for increasing number of American veterans of the EPL in their broadcast. Now some of the obvious choices like Kasey Kellar or Brian McBride may be committed elsewhere but I think a American flavor may very well help.

16. Dust says:

Mustoe & Earle will be better as Lowe will ask the right questions and steer the conversation far far far FAR better than Stone ever could.

I’m not a huge fan of Mustoe, but I respect him for his knowledge and ability to articulate. I can’t remember hearing early recently, but I think he will be good too.

It’s all positive for me, they start with s fresh slate. I’m looking forward to it!

I hope the analysis is turned around quickly.

One of the big issues for me with fox is how rubbish the editing was on highlights, they seemed to miss key mints in the game.

The on air talent is definately an upgrade, perhaps Mustoe and earle will ask the technical director to put together certain highlights for review, if not I really hope the people they do get are better than what fox had.

Those background members of the show are crucial IMO.

Lets see some great highlights that tell story’s well in the short 45 – 90 seconds available at HT or longer at FT.

Looking forward to seeing it all!

17. john marzan says:

I hope NBC hires the Men In Blazers. Or is it already in the bag?

• dust says:

no no no no… sorry that would be poor, dave-o.

that show is unpalatable… it’s worse than Durham’s drive time show, which is saying something.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, NBC SPORTS DO NOT DO THAT UUUGGGHHHH

• Tim says:

Dust, you are in the minority on this one. Plus, with their Bravo connection, you’d think it was a done deal.

18. KTBFFH says:

I think Mustoe is absolutely fantastic. I appreciate his soft-spoken, yet articulate and intelligent footie analysis. Seems like a really nice guy. All the bluster and over the top nonsense on FSC was really wearing on me.

Now I thought I heard Arlo White say he was going to be involved somehow in the EPL coverage. Not sure how that would balance with his MLS duties.

19. KTBFFH says:

Another thought, I think this could be really good for MLS as well. Having the EPL and MLS on the same network will allow them to cross-pollinate in a way that doesn’t make the leagues seem like they’re competing against each other for viewers, but rather complementing one another. Having EPL coverage in the morning, followed by some legit MLS analysis/previews of the games later in the afternoon. I think that kind of arrangement can only improve the outlook and presence of the sport in this country.

20. Rob says:

Should be interesting when Robbie Earle sells his seat in the studio to a load of Dutch hookers.

21. Ahmed Yussuf says:

US soccer fans are spoilt for choice. Arlo White, Rebecca Lowe & now Robbie Mustoe & Earle on NBC.Oh, let’s not forget the arrival of Kay Murray on BEINsport. Throw us a bone down under. I’m living off scraps with pundits like Andy Harper, Robbie Slater and Gary Phillips.

22. La-A says:

Fantastic news. Earle and Mustoe are both top drawer. Mustoe might not be flashy but he’s an excellent pundit.