MON, 3PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SHA0
ATH1
TUES, 2:45PM ET
PSG3
AJA1

chelsea manchester city USA Bound: Chelsea & Manchester City to Play 2 Friendlies Against Each Other in May: The Daily EPL

Although not officially confirmed, it looks very likely that Chelsea and Manchester City will be heading to the United States in May to play two high-profile friendlies against each other. One will be in New York City, while the other one will be played in either St. Louis or Florida.

The two friendlies look set to happen after the Premier League season ends on May 19, and before England plays a friendly against the Republic Of Ireland on May 29 at Wembley.

According to the FA, there’s no conflict or concern about having the friendlies staged since there’s no major international soccer tournament for England this summer.

Tickets are still available for the friendly between Manchester City and Chelsea at Yankee Stadium in New York City. Visit the Yankees website for all your ticket options.

Both Chelsea and Manchester City are no strangers to playing in the United States. Chelsea played several matches in the US of A last summer, while Manchester City last visited the States in 2011.

Here are today’s Premier League news headlines:

The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Leagues: EPL, Manchester City. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to USA Bound: Chelsea & Manchester City to Play 2 Friendlies Against Each Other in May: The Daily EPL

1. Mufc77 says:

Looks like all that spending is finally catching up to Chelsea and city. Clearly both teams need to bring in extra income to meet the new FFP requirements.

Between the long season and international matches I’m sure the last thing the players want are two meaningless games at the end of the season.

• The Gaffer says:

I disagree. I’m sure many of the players would love to travel to the States for some RNR and a couple of games. It’ll be a great way to wind down the season.

2. MrTuktoyaktuk says:

Clearly a commercially dictated cash grab but I’m going to be completely selfish regarding this. An opportunity to see these teams at in-season form, here, is something I doubt I can pass up.

3. Matt says:

City was in the US in 2011, not 2012. Unfortunately, I remember this too well because I had a wedding I was in, and unable to go.

Being from StL, I’m more than excited to head to Busch Stadium for a City/Chelsea match.

4. ed of course says:

Yes. Two clubs in need to expand their brand names. Chelsea needs to recoup from a bad PR and performance year. Manchester City is in need of recognition. With FFP both need the money.

Don’t expect “in form” performances. Nobody goes back to work for a few days into a vacation to “wind down.”

5. JASON says:

So I guess this means Rafa will be our manager for two more matches. Ugh.

• ed of course says:

I’m guessing he won’t want to make the trip. Contract or not, it still would benefit him and Chelsea if he vacations elsewhere.

6. Sacto Blues says:

Chelsea is exhausted. The players for Chelsea and I suppose Citeh as well would be better off going on Holiday and getting ready for International duty and or next season.

7. Marc L says:

Might have to try to check that out. But these US friendlies are much more appealing to me if they are in late July and I have been detoxing for 2 months without any real football to watch.

Still, I bet this matchup would give you a good chance to see some young guys who will probably be pretty good players some day.

• Mufc77 says:

Maybe they will find the next Daniel Sturridge during these matches.

Seriously though I agree these games are much better as a pre season fixture than a post season wind down. The money they charge for watching under strength teams would be ridiculous.

8. Frill Artist says:

Should have been in the midwest instead of New York.

9. Eplnfl says:

Somehow this makes no sense to me. The players clearly will be thinking about their golf games and will want to get out of town ASAP. A two city tour hardly brings enough revenue. No separate tv contract for it. Ok FSC will pick it up but it’s not a big number.

The USA touring has gotten old. Time to demand the 39th game. We give England two real NFL games we are owed the same.

10. Squid says:

Bayern used to do this a decade ago. They would send the reserves to play the Metrostars or DC United in May on odd numbered years.

11. christian says:

OOOOOOH YEAH!!!!!!!!!! CAN’T WAIT!!!!!