The Man Who Discovered David Beckham Dies, Age 76: The Daily EPL
The man who discovered David Beckham has died at the age of 76. Stuart Underwood was Beckham’s coach at his youth team Ridgeway Rovers in England.
According to the Bournemouth Echo, Underwood coached Beckham for nine years after putting an advertisement in the Walthamstow Guardian newspaper seeking players for an under-eight team.
Here’s what Beckham said about Underwood in a 2006 interview with Four Four Two Magazine:
“That was a massive part of my life, the first team I was involved in. It was an amazing time. I had Stuart Underwood, Steve Kirby and my dad as coaches. Stuart Underwood was like a sergeant major. He scared me. In fact, I’ve always had managers and coaches that have scared me.”
Underwood died after a long battle with cancer.
Here are today’s Premier League news headlines:
- Tributes paid to Stuart Underwood, the man who discovered David Beckham — Bournemouth Echo
- The incredible journey of Kei Kamara from Sierra Leone refugee to the Premier League — BBC Sport
- Brad Friedel insists he plans to play on for as long as he can — Sky Sports
- England’s Champions League demise: analysing the numbers — The Guardian
- Chris Coleman has blasted Chris Waddle for saying Gareth Bale should focus on Spurs not Wales — Daily Star
- England risk dropping behind Germany in Uefa coefficient rankings — The Guardian
- Swansea City’s Ashley Williams is good enough for big four, says Chris Coleman — This Is South Wales
- West Brom have announced they will be freezing season ticket prices for next season — Sky Sports
- Guus Hiddink wants to manage in the Premier League again — The Telegraph
- Swansea City star Michel Vorm taunts Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger — Wales Online
- Martin O’Neill will not discuss deals with his out-of-contract players until fate decided — Sky Sports
The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.