Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 27: Open Thread

number 27 Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 27: Open Thread

Six Premier League matches are on deck today beginning with Fulham against Stoke City (7:45am ET on ESPN2 for viewers in the United States).

There’s no late kick-off today, so we have five matches at 10am ET/3pm UK time. Take your pick from QPR against Manchester United, Arsenal versus Aston Villa, West Brom against Sunderland, Reading versus Wigan or Norwich v Everton. Which match(es) will you be watching?

Before, during or after today’s matches, join the conversation with soccer fans from around the world.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

61 Responses to Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 27: Open Thread

1. IanCransonsKnees says:

Cmon! You lot should be up early for this, drag yourselves out of bed – even the lazy ones on the west coast.

Guy, you should be chuffed today – Fulham vs Stoke then Engalnd vs France. 2 rugby matches to watch on a Saturday, get in.

As ever our away record is poor, though we should take quite a following today, £5 to get in the nuetral stand (the Tarquins and Henrys are very inviting even if you aren’t sporting their preppy look) and £15 return on the train down there. £20 plus your beer money cracking price for an away day.

A boring draw will do me. I’ll be interested to see if Shea makes the bench, he’s been playing a lot of behind closed doors matches with the other fringe players over the past few weeks.

2. Larry says:

Predictions:

Fulham 2 – Stoke 1
    QPR 0 – Man U 2
    Arsenal 4 – A. Villa 1
    West Brom 1 – Sunderland 1
    Reading 2 – Wigan 2
    Norwich 1 – Everton 1

3. Guy says:

Stoke in the spotlight match! Locked and loaded. I’m sure the west coast contingent, as well as the rest of the football world, is zeroed in on this one.

It would be nice to see Stoke go out and actually try to take three points in an away match.

Unfortunately, TP’s idea of a good away win is a 0-0 draw. Still, strange things happen, so we’ll just sit and watch and hope for the best.

Stoke haters, prepare your slings and arrows. My tin hat is on and I am ready! ;-)

4. IanCransonsKnees says:

Shea makes the bench.

5. Guy says:

Who slipped the Stoke formation past Tony? :-D

6. IanCransonsKnees says:

What, we’re not playing 1-9-1?

7. De Selby says:

Ruiz off to a poor start. First blasted one into orbit then an embarrassing intentional handball.

• De Selby says:

And now he has been punched in the face by Nzonzi. That was as clear a red card as Luiz against Brentford last week but he only got a yellow.

Shea on 25th minute…

• IanCransonsKnees says:

s’okay, felliani proved it 3 times. (Nzonzi is a very dirty player though IMHO, plenty of bookings for Blackburn nevermind Stoke).

8. jtm371 says:

Shea might be a little overwhelmed seems to good for the first fake.not sure about Cameron that far forward.go Stoke beat the Londoners.

9. jtm371 says:

should have been red for Nzonzi bush league play.killer goal from Berba might make for a good 2nd half.

10. Marc L says:

Oh man, just when I was going to give Stoke some props for keeping BerbaGollum from doing much of anything……

11. The Gaffer says:

Brilliant strike by Berbatov!

12. The Gaffer says:

Is Stoke City now America’s Premier League team? With Shea playing today, there are more first team Americans on Stoke City than any other Premier League side.

• De Selby says:

This game is the ESPN game of the week in the U.S. I figured it was either because of the Americans on Stoke or because ESPN thinks Dempsey (or maybe McBride) still plays for Fulham.

13. Guy says:

Ian and Macca don’t know Tony very well. He has no Plan B.

14. The Gaffer says:

Brek Shea should have done better on the defending leading towards Fulham’s goal. Should have been closer to the Fulham player, and should have made a better attempt to close him down and block the cross.

• Guy says:

Still, it was Huth’s poor clearance that directly led to the goal.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

I take it, it’s a bit of a stunner? I was hoping he’d be as anonymous as he was at the Britannia.

I’m not watching as I’m finishing off my last assignment for this year of my studies, I’ve got a week and a half with no extension time. Being a Stoke away game it’s no great sacrifice. It was eiher miss this or the Rugby and I know which will be more entertaining. Is it on BBC America Guy?

Just signed up for a Youview Box over here to replace my BT Vison box in time for the new season. There’s a story this morning saying that BT are in talks to take over the ESPN UK operation from Disney, giving them a ready made platform to work from. Rumour is Rebecca Lowe may be coming across to you lot though, her fella was Luton Town manager but he quit for personal reasons this week.

15. The Gaffer says:

Love that Fulham are playing “London Calling” by The Clash right before the second half kick-off.

Those are the things we usually miss when watching a game on FOX Soccer where the talking heads drop us in to the match commentary one second before kick-off.

• dust says:

Farcenal came out to House of Pain “jump around”, I didn’t know you could play music in a library let alone “jump around”, House of Pain indeed if your a farcenal fan. HA!

16. jtm371 says:

Guy
    i don’t think it is in the cards today for your Potters today.poor penalty from Walters.

17. IanCransonsKnees says:

Doesn’t sound like we deserve anything. Pulis is an utter bellend not starting Jones and Jerome.

• Guy says:

Would like to see that. How could it possibly be worse?

• IanCransonsKnees says:

The most threatening we’ve looked this season was when he had Crouch, Jones, Walters and Jerome all on the pitch against Southampton. That was a freak lineup forced on him by the fact that the crowd would have torn him a new arsehole for losing that match. Coming back from 3-1 down with 10 men playing those 4 too. Surely something like that couldn’t be any worse than the dross he serves up at a typical away match. To be honest I’ve stopped travelling to away matches because of my studies, however when I finish them in a couple of weeks I will not be looking at the away fixtures. I’ve better things to spend my money on than having the piss taken out of me by Tony Pulis.

18. Guy says:

Unfortunately, today’s result won’t convince Tony that anything needs to be changed. He’ll see it as just one poor header away from an away “win”.

19. The Gaffer says:

Why would Tony Pulis stop Begovic from coming up for the corner with just 30 seconds to go in the match? What’s there to lose at that point in the match? Silly decision by Pulis.

20. IanCransonsKnees says:

Next manager to leave post odds:

AVB 66-1
    Fergie 66-1
    Pulis 66-1

Nothing will change soon. I hope we’re after Stuart Lancaster if we do look to move Pulis on.

21. Dust says:

Sorry to see the stoke result today… Perhaps it ‘s time for pull is to move on… Stoke have established themselves in prem, which is a difficult thing to do.

I’m not sure who you would want? An established prem manager or someone that has potential that hasn’t been given the chance? Like Atkins?

Unlucky with the penalty too!

22. jtm371 says:

what a goal from Rafael turn stunner.

23. dust says:

Come on Villa you dogs!

24. De Selby says:

Samba looks like he’s playing while wearing cement overshoes. Nice signing, QPR. I’m sure he’ll keep you up.

25. Guy says:

My pet peeve again. QPR defender turns his back on Giggs and starts waving at the asst. ref. I don’t know if he could have affected Giggs’s shot, but he didn’t even try.

• De Selby says:

I’m pretty sure it was Hill. He was the one playing Giggs on. He was looking right at him and could see Giggs wasn’t off yet he put up his hand and appealed to the assistant for offside. Terrible.

26. Guy says:

Off to rugby on BBC America. Ta.

27. dust says:

useless villa… they went for the win instead of defending the draw, Farcenal lucky again… one man team Corzola 2 Brummies 1

28. Jack Tomczuk says:

Oooh Santi Cazorla!

29. JasonB says:

What a comeback by Norwich to beat Everton. Everton maybe thinking about the FA Cup which they should get to the semi-final stage. I’m sure they fancy their chances against Oldham at home in the replay and Wigan at home should they beat Oldham. They should be worried that their form has taken a dip recently. Still it’s theirs for the taking.

Arsenal had to battle to get 3 points against Aston Villa. You’ve got to feel for Villa as they might just be relegated if they don’t start picking up points soon.

Reading lost badly to fellow relegation battlers Wigan and this will give Wigan hope of surviving once again.

• gbewing says:

Canaries are going to enjoy Mr Kamara -what a performance for the former SKC player- great energy -all over the ball from the moment he enerted-marvelous header-

30. Charles Boyer says:

Looks like even Roberto Mancini will have to declare the race at the top of the table over if Chelsea and City draw tomorrow.

That should be a very interesting game, but I think the Londoners will pull out the win. City just doesn’t seem to be showing the same heart this year as they did last.

31. Frill Artist says:

Surprised the daily Gus Johnson WHINE article isn’t up yet.

• De Selby says:

I’m not surprised at all. He hasn’t announced any matches this weekend. I am, however, looking forward to the next Gus Johnson WHINE article which I expect to be posted just after he butchers his next match.

• The Gaffer says:

Frill Artist, sounds like the WHINE comments have already started.