Congratulations to Bayern Munich for capturing the signature of one of the most sought after managers in world soccer. While some had thought that former Barcelona manager Pep Guardiola would be taking a long sabbatical from the game, The Guardian’s Rafa Honigstein reveals that Bayern Munich had been busy trying to capture Guardiola’s signature long before the Spaniard quit Barcelona last summer. In fact, the conversations started after Chelsea won the 2012 UEFA Champions League Final.
The signing of Guardiola has already rocked the Premier League, where discussion now has erupted about who will take over at Chelsea after Benitez leaves, and whether Guardiola is planning on managing Manchester United after his contract ends in Germany.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Bayern Munich’s Guardiola coup began after their defeat to Chelsea — The Guardian
- Pep Guardiola snubs Chelsea by opting for Bayern Munich — The Guardian
- Luis Suarez: Manchester United control English media — Liverpool Echo
- Chelsea and Roman Abramovich find money can’t buy Pep Guardiola’s love — The Guardian
- Allardyce slams penalty decisions as Manchester United progress — Manchester Evening News
- Wilfried Zaha closer to Manchester United than United are to Zaha — The Guardian
- £100k per week Florent Malouda has never met Rafael Benitez at Chelsea — The Mail
- Stoke City reject £3m bid for Kenwyne Jones from Swansea City — The Guardian
- VIDEO: Adkins happy with Southampton tactics — BBC Sport
- Bullish England try to arrange Argentina friendly for November — The Guardian
- QPR make a £6.2m bid to sign Yann M’Vila from Rennes — BBC Sport
- West Ham United have made an increased bid for Blackburn defender Martin Olsson — Sky Sports
- FA ‘crazy’ to force David Bernstein to step down at 70, says minister — The Guardian
- Leeds legend Norman Hunter to auction career memorabilia — The Mail
- Five talking points from Manchester United’s FA Cup win over West Ham — The Guardian
- Sandro injury news: Tottenham fear midfielder out for season — The Mail
- Tottenham look to bring forward Lewis Holtby transfer after Sandro injury — The Guardian
- VIDEO: Football Association celebrates 150 years — BBC Sport
- Stick With Soccer – Daily Mirror Sticker Album 1986-87 — The Football Attic
- Sergio Aguero in line for Manchester City return against Fulham — The Mail
- John Carew gives up football, gets an acting job in Canada where he holds a decapitated head — 101GG
- £12m Sturridge better value than £6m Dempsey says Liverpool MD — The Mirror
- Swansea City boss Laudrup not disappointed despite FA Cup exit — Wales Online
- Sam Allardyce accepts ‘substantial damages’ from Steve Kean — The Guardian
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.
If you are thinking of placing a bet on an upcoming football match, make sure you check out the latest free bets and bookmakers offers at bookmakers.co.uk.