Chelsea, Liverpool, Spurs and Newcastle Face Tricky Ties in Europa League Round of 32: The Daily EPL
The draw for the final round of 32 teams in the 2012-13 Europa League has been made. Tottenham Hotspur has a tricky tie against Lyon. Newcastle United will travel to Eastern Europe to play Metalist, while Chelsea plays Sparta Prague and Liverpool faces Zenit St. Petersburg.
Just as the UEFA Champions League draw earlier in the day wasn’t kind to English teams, today’s Europa League draw has been equally challenging to Premier League teams. If, and it’s a big if, the Premier League teams win their matches in the round of 32, here are the teams that the Premier League sides will face in the round of 16:
Tottenham Hotspur versus the winner of Inter Milan and Cluj,
Liverpool will face the winner of Dnipro and Basel,
Chelsea will face the winner of Ajax and Steaua Bucharest,
Newcastle United will face the winner of Anji and Hannover.
Here are today’s Premier League news headlines:
- Ronaldo’s Real will not relish Manchester United duel says Michael Cox — The Guardian
- Steward doesn’t recognize Brian McDermott, tries to stop him watching reserves — Off The Post
- Alisher Usmanov ‘dreams’ of taking total control at Arsenal — The Guardian
- Sir Alex Ferguson: Bundesliga is threatening Premier League’s status — The Independent
- Samir Nasri could miss festive period for Manchester City due to injury — The Guardian
- Manchester City to build giant Blue Moon fans tribute — The Mail
- West Brom could have Ben Foster back for clash against Norwich — Sky Sports
- Champions League fixtures exactly same as rehearsal, Odds were 1 in 2 million— Who Ate All the Pies
Before I go, here’s a so-awful-it’s-funny video from Arsenal showing several of their players trying to sing Christmas carols:
The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.