Peculiar words from Tottenham Hotspur Andre Villas-Boas today after the Portuguese manager has said that Clint Dempsey can be the new Gareth Bale.
It’s peculiar because I don’t see Dempsey and Bale in the same role. At his best, Dempsey is an attacking midfielder. Bale is a left winger who, earlier this season, was playing more of a central striker role during some matches for Tottenham. Both men are incredibly gifted athletes but to draw comparisons between the two seems strange.
Perhaps Villas-Boas is setting the stage for Gareth Bale to leave Tottenham for Spain, with Dempsey being a worthy “replacement”? Stranger things have happened.
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Clint Dempsey can be the new Bale, insists Villas-Boas — The Independent
- Roberto Mancini prepares to spend in Manchester City transfer u-turn — The Guardian
- ‘Ridiculous’ television scheduling could cost us the title, fears Ferguson — The Independent
- Kevin Kilbane announces his retirement from professional football — ToffeeWeb
- Swansea fan arrested for alleged racial abuse of Sebastien Bassong — The Telegraph
- Fernando Torres’s return to form at Chelsea delights Rafael Benítez — The Guardian
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.