Any apparent racial remark or gesture is under the microscope in the Premier League nowadays particularly after the events of the past 12 months involving numerous different incidents. And now, a new scandal has emerged after a Chelsea fan apparently made a monkey gesture at Manchester United’s Danny Welbeck in last night’s League Cup game.
Chelsea has launched an investigation, which will most probably result in a lifetime ban for the supporter, as well as a call by the club for fans to behave themselves (and for fellow fans to report similar incidents to the club).
Here are the Premier League news headlines today:
- Chelsea launch probe after picture appears to show Chelsea fan making a ‘monkey’ gesture — The Mail
- Arsenal winger Gervinho ruled out for three weeks with injury — The Independent
- Theo Walcott contract talks must conclude soon, admits Arsène Wenger — The Guardian
- How the League Cup is now England’s best knockout competition — The Independent
- Alex Ferguson blames Nani for gifting Chelsea dramatic equaliser — The Mirror
- Liverpool’s Joe Cole fails his trial but time is on Samed Yesil’s side — The Guardian
- Red-faced Brendan Rodgers left livid by ‘slow’ Joe Cole as Liverpool lose to Swansea — The Independent
- Arsène Wenger backs Theo Walcott’s striking ambitions after hat-trick — The Guardian
- Pablo Zabaleta provides welcome boost for injury hit Manchester City — The Independent
- Chelsea launch complaint to FA over Mark Clattenburg comments — The Guardian
- MLS vs. EPL vs. NBC vs. the USA — Futfanatico
- Mick McCarthy confirmed as Ipswich boss — The Guardian
- Joe Cole’s Liverpool comeback leaves Brendan Rodgers questioning player’s value — The Telegraph
- Swansea City boss Laudrup hails historic Cup win over Liverpool FC — Wales Online
- Michael Laudrup wants ‘great’ first cup final for Swansea City — BBC Sport
The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.