SUN, 8:30AM ET
SUN, 5PM ET
LAG1
SEA0
MON, 3PM ET
AST
SOU

europa league Maribor vs Spurs, Liverpool vs Anzhi, Newcastle vs Bruges: Europa League Open Thread

It’s another day of European football, and hopefully this time the English clubs can do better than their counterparts who play in the Premier League (Manchester United excepted, despite their shaky performance on Tuesday).

We have three matches in store today. Maribor vs Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool against Anzhi and Newcastle United against Bruges. Expect a lot of open attacking football matches here. And quite a few goals.

Tottenham starting XI: Lloris, Walker, Caulker, Vertonghen, Naughton, Huddlestone, Sigurdsson, Sando, Lennon, Townsend, Defoe.

In the United States, the Tottenham match kicks off at 1pm ET followed by the two other matches at 3pm ET. Here’s the latest TV/Internet schedule.

Before, during or after today’s Europa League matches, post your rants, raves, questions or observations in the comments section below.

14 Responses to Maribor vs Spurs, Liverpool vs Anzhi, Newcastle vs Bruges: Europa League Open Thread

1. The Gaffer says:

I love Brian McBride as a footballer, but he absolutely has no clue as a color commentator and as a pundit.

He’s hopeless. Sorry Brian!

2. The Gaffer says:

John Strong and Brian McBride completely zap the energy out of the Europa League games that they broadcast. Very little excitement or energy in their voices.

I was less critical of them in previous weeks because I thought they needed the experience, but they’re not improving (hence my criticism today).

Their commentary is so bad today that I’m listening to the much better commentary on FOX Soccer 2Go (from the world feed broadcaster), while watching the game in the background on FOX Soccer.

• swiftaw says:

I think the problem is that they are not at the stadium. They are just sitting in a studio watching it on TV. This always leads to weak commentary.

• The Gaffer says:

True, but the same can be said for the one commentator who is doing the match that can be heard on FOX Soccer 2Go (and who is also in a studio and not at the ground). There’s more energy and excitement in the voice of that one commentator than there is in the combination of Strong and McBride. That’s a terrible sign especially since solo commentaries can often become quite boring since it’s just the one voice.

3. Mufc77 says:

I just turned the game on and my first was what horrible commentary, looks like everyone else agrees

4. Sacto Blues says:

No Dust yet ? I just found out score and wanted his take hopefully without the Spurs tinted glasses !

• Andrei says:

Well I will quote Dust for you: “What a waste of Europa League spot”

• dust says:

HAHA!

I was in a meeting form 10 – 12 so I ended up not watching the game, a draw against a team I have never heard of should make me very mad, but I haven’t seen it, I just watched my twitter feed after the meeting ended, not the best way to experience it, but judging from Gaffer’s comments, it may have been more exciting than the broadcast.

I’ll watch and either explode with madness or shrug and look forward to the weekend, I noticed Falque came on, I look forward to watching the game and seeing how he played.

Eastern european/ greek travels always a bugger, so I am not so concerned initially as the home legs will be different

Ill watch it in a bit!

very funny Andrei, very funny ;)

5. gbewing says:

Townsend was poor-that’s why Falque played although he was decent, injuries are piling up. The gola let up yeesh another horrible give away and Hud looks in slow motion in the box on defense, he does offer a nice ball but he seems at least a step slow on defense

6. Elia says:

McBride has earned the right to do or say whatever the hell he wants however the hell he wants

• The Gaffer says:

He deserves a ton of praise for being a brilliant player, but that doesn’t give him carte blanche to be an awful co-commentator.

7. sassafrass says:

mcbride is a tool. so is wynalda. say hi to harkes for me sweethart

8. ac says:

McBride’s eyes freak me out…is he from twilight? Nevermind his wooden commentary.