SUN, 8:30AM ET
SUN, 11AM ET
EVE
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

union jack Premier Leagues Impact Overseas   900,000 Fans Traveled to Britain Last Year: The Daily EPL

Premier League’s impact on tourism has been written about today in The Guardian, who explain that almost one million soccer supporters traveled to Britain last year. According to the report, more than 60,000 alone came from the United States. It makes for interesting reading as do many of the Premier League-related stories today:

The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Premier League. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Premier League’s Impact Overseas – 900,000 Fans Traveled to Britain Last Year: The Daily EPL

1. IanCransonsKnees says:

I can’t say it’s unsurprising. OT and Anfield are marketed as much as tourist attractions as they are football grounds. To a degree they’re artificial experience’s taking on a theme park type role.

There’s always been plenty of North European visitors to my neck of the woods as we’ve got strong supporters clubs over there. However we’ve had groups from Japan, Canada, Australia and the US to name a few.

From a European perspective I think it’s about experiencing something you are used to an environment you’re not. Therefore the place rather than what you’re going to see becomes the dominant factor.

Outside of Europe, and in particular from nations where football is a minority sport, I would guess the attraction is the experience rather than the place. You’d have to be particularly deranged to spend your holiday in Stoke or West Bromwich for example.

I’m hoping to get to Benfica some time next year, I know there’s plenty of fans in England who travel regularly to watch German and Italian clubs. I even know of one lad who held an Inter Milan season ticket at one point!

I’d strongly recommend looking outside the Premier League if any of you come over too. The Championship offers some cracking football, generally in premier league quality stadia and is a notoriously competitive league.

There are plenty of ways to get tickets. Just ask the odd English fan on here to help you out ;-)

• Paul says:

Great bit of writing that Ian. Spot on.

One thing I would say to any fan looking to travel over here for a match is when you get there let go of any inhibitions and soak every last bit of it up. When I first got my members card and had to take whatever seat I could get while I built up my attendance record, I quite often found myself in the section right next to the away fans… where they also sit the Thomas Cook package deal tickets etc. It was almost as if the people sat there didn’t really know how best to act so they kept quiet and occasionally applauded when something happened on the pitch.

Sing and chant as loud as you want.. Have a rant if the ref makes a bad call or your player is fouled! Doesn’t matter if you’re from another country or speak another language – for that 90 minutes we’re all the same… there to support the same team so have a blast because you don’t want to feel like you’ve just spent 90 minutes in a library.

As Ian says above, the Championship (and even lower leagues if it’s just live English football in the flesh that you’re after) can provide some excellent quality and at far more reasonable prices than the top flight.

Getting tickets depends on what team you’re looking at but generally speaking they’re not as hard to get your hands on as some people over here make out… I find a lot of those people use the old ‘they’re like gold dust!’ line to justify them not being bothered to get off the couch and turn Sky Sports off ;)

• jtm371 says:

Ian
      I have City Ground on my bucket list hope to check it off.good post well written.

2. Marc L says:

For the past five years I’ve traveled to England once a year to take in matches. It is just a fantastic experience every time and I have made a lot of great friends along the way.
    If you want to do this, see if you can make a two-weekend jaunt of it and catch your club at an away match. There’s always tickets to be gotten; you might have to pay through the eyeballs for them but it is always doable.
    If you want to take in the sights of London on your trip, try to get a match at Craven Cottage in. It is right close to all the tourist sites and you can live up to half the stereotype of the Fulham attendance; half tourists and half City traders.

3. Sammy says:

I would love to travel to the UK to watch an EPL match – one day maybe.

Many people still making a fuss about the Kick It Out shirts matter. It’s the players’ choice whether they want to wear it or not, I don’t see the big deal here. These players have their free will here, we can’t force them to do something they don’t believe in.

4. Marc says:

I am planning my first trip to the UK. Even though its still a few years away. Should of done this pre kids. Fist stop will be Old Trafford, then take in a mid week match to see FC United. Hopefully they will have their own ground by then. From there up North I will go by train, to Pittodrie, to see the Dons.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

That trip to Aberdeen will be a fair old trek! I’m guessing it’s a homage to Fergie this trip?

If you base yourself in Manchester make sure you check this out:

And this (which is housed in the same building)

I ought to set up my own business and sort out tailored football holidays for people over here. I could organise after dinner speech tickets and trips to training too! It’d beat working for a living!

• Marc says:

Let me know if you want a partner in your new business. I would move over in a heart beat if I had a career lined up.

• The Gaffer says:

IanCransonsKnees, I think you mentioned the business idea in jest, but you should seriously consider it — at least doing it part time to start.

There are a few companies in the States such as http://xltravel.com/ who charge punters a lot of money, but you’d be able to provide a more personalized trip to see the real football experience. Could be worth looking into!

• Guy says:

Well, now you’ve let the cat out of the bag! ;-)

Better get busy!!