Juventus legend Alessandro Del Piero says he declined a summer move to Liverpool and chose to move to Australia instead because of the Heysel Tragedy.
The Heysel Stadium Disaster occurred in May, 1985 when 39 Juventus fans tragically died after a wall in the stadium collapsed. The incident happened after Liverpool fans breached a fence separating the fans, which forced the Juventus fans to run back near a wall, which collapsed under the weight and pressure.
Here are the main Premier League news headlines today:
- Alessandro Del Piero: I declined Liverpool because of Heysel tragedy — The Daily Mail
- Brendan Rodgers backs Jose Reina despite indifferent start to season — The Independent
- Ricardo Vaz Tê opts for surgery on dislocated shoulder for long-term fix — The Guardian
- Frank Lampard absence for San Marino match confirmed as Ryan Bertrand also pulls out — The Independent
- The forgotten story of … England under Joe Mercer — The Guardian
- Details of FIFA 13 patch — FIFA Soccer Blog
- SingTel acquires Premier League rights in Singapore — Premier League
- Ryan Bertrand apologises for angry tweet after England withdrawal — The Guardian
- Swansea chairman plays down reports of player disaffection over Michael Laudrup — Wales Online
- Liverpool’s Suso close to agreeing new contract at Anfield — The Guardian
- I Am Playr lands on iOS devices as a flick-football game — The Next Web
- Coleen and Wayne Rooney expecting second child — The Guardian
The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.