Gary Neville has hailed Stoke City defender Ryan Shawcross as an example to youngsters after Stoke’s captain has been called up to Englabd’s squad.
“Any kid who has a dream should look at Ryan Shawcross maybe more than people at the highest elements of the game,” said Neville. “He is a great story and the fact he is in the England squad this week is something I am proud of.
“I remember playing with him when he was 16. He was a raw talent but someone who really wanted to make it. He wanted to use the last ounce of his energy to become a professional footballer.
“He had to leave Manchester United to get his chance. Not giving in and continuing to fight is a huge strength and he has been absolutely fantastic for Stoke.
“He deserves his opportunity this week and I am looking forward to seeing him because he represents the best of attitude, of working hard to get where you want. I am sure he will improve and get better.”
Here are tonight’s Premier League news headlines:
- Ryan Shawcross is an example to youngsters, says Gary Neville — The Daily Mail
- FA to give Roy Hodgson the freedom to pick Ashley Cole for qualifiers — The Guardian
- Arsène Wenger steps up interest in Crystal Palace winger Wilfried Zaha — The Telegraph
- Beating San Marino may be easy, solving the Ashley Cole problem is not — The Guardian
- Liverpool FC star Joe Allen crowned Welsh Player of the Year — Wales Online
- Aston Villa’s Ciaran Clark named in Republic of Ireland squad — The Guardian
- How a production assistant made “Being: Liverpool” a reality — 06880
- André Villas-Boas’s no-favours policy wins plaudits at Tottenham — The Guardian
- England call up Jonjo Shelvey and Ryan Bertrand — The Guardian
- Poland captain Jakub Blaszczykowski ruled out of England World Cup tie — The Guardian
The Nightly EPL is tomorrow’s news today. It’s often tomorrow morning’s British newspaper headlines that are published the night before. We do all the work for you, combing the Internet and aggregating the news for you. Read The Nightly EPL on EPL Talk every night before bed, so you can stay on top of all the news that matters.