Manchester City striker Sergio Aguero says that British players are given preferential treatment by Premier League referees.
“There is a little bit of privilege with players who come from [Britain], but that is normal. We just play our game, and the referee’s job is to know who is tricking him and who is not.”
Aguero’s comments come hot on the heels of City’s win against Fulham where Pablo Zabaleta and Carlos Tevez had penalty appeals turned down. This happened on the same day where fellow South American striker Luis Suarez had a blatant penalty decision ruled against him when he was fouled in the area against Norwich City.
What do you think? Are British footballers given preferential treatment by referees or not? Post your opinion in the comments section below.
Here are today’s news headlines:
- British players given preferential treatment by referees says Sergio Aguero — The Independent
- ‘Pretty football’ is history at Sam Allardyce’s West Ham academy — The Guardian
- Hillsborough: Families’ fury at spin operation — The Independent
- Jonny Evans fit for Manchester United’s European tie with CFR Cluj — The Guardian
- Arsenal must take collective blame for defensive frailties says Mikel Arteta — The Independent
- Former Wigan footballer Jimmy Bullard retires at the age of 33 — BBC Sport
- Jermain Defoe’s deft movement provides Tottenham with fresh threat — The Guardian
- Matthew Etherington says Peter Crouch should be picked again by England — The Telegraph
- Roy Hodgson receives Finnish ‘knighthood’ for services to football — The Guardian
- FIFA 13 breaks 1 million sales in one week — FIFA Soccer Blog
- ‘Being: Liverpool’ must not whitewash the Reds if it is to be meaningful TV — The Independent
- Russia names host cities for 2018 World Cup — Sport Business
- Latest scores come a cropper as Sky and BBC suffer technical breakdown — The Guardian
The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.