In the build-up to this weekend’s match between Liverpool and Manchester United, The Telegraph‘s Henry Winter reports of a near tragedy that happened at Hillsborough 32 years before the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster. In 1957, Manchester United supporters were at Hillsborough for a FA Cup semi-final. With a crowd of 65,107 at the match, this time the police made the correct decision and sent supporters — even those with tickets — away from the Lepping’s Lane End to other parts of the ground.
If only the police had been better prepared in 1989.
Here are today’s Premier League news headlines:
- Hillsborough deathtrap threatened Manchester United fans 32 years before 1989 tragedy — The Telegraph
- Brendan Rodgers set to hand striker Samed Yesil Liverpool debut in Europa League — The Independent
- Alan Parry equates ‘justice’ of Everton goal with that of Hillsborough report — The Telegraph
- Arsene Wenger says no to Rugby World Cup at Emirates Stadium — The Daily Mail
- Manchester United are expected to today report a drop in revenue and profits — The Independent
- Patrice Evra to return for Manchester United against Galatasaray — The Guardian