SUN, 11AM ET
GAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS
LFC

Everton vs Newcastle United, Gameweek 4: Open Thread

everton newcastle Everton vs Newcastle United, Gameweek 4: Open Thread

Everton plays Newcastle United today at Goodison Park in a match where the Toffees are planning on having a tribute to the 96 people who died in the 1989 Hillsborough Disaster. The plans include the mascots wearing both Everton and Liverpool kits. Plus the ball boys will have the number 96 on the back of their shirts.

As far as the match, the game will feature two clubs who are evenly matched in the skills department. Both clubs have had promising starts to the season, but a win tonight will certainly boost the morale leading into next weekend’s matches.

Everton will be without Darron Gibson, who is out for three weeks with an injury. Meanwhile, Newcastle will be without Tim Krul, Fabricio Coloccini, James Perch, Ryan Taylor and Danny Simpson. Despite the injury worries for the Toon, Newcastle has enough depth in their side to mount serious problems for Everton tonight.

For viewers in the United States, Everton against Newcastle kicks off at 3pm ET on ESPN2/ESPN Deportes/ESPN3.com.

Before, during and after today’s match, post your rants, raves, questions or observations in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Everton, Leagues: EPL, Newcastle United. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Everton vs Newcastle United, Gameweek 4: Open Thread

1. jtm371 says:

lets hope for a great match last EPL match for 3 weeks off to OZ for 3 week vacation no phone no computer wish me luck.

• Guy says:

How will you survive?? ;-)

• jtm371 says:

it is sad the only thing i am going to miss is the EPL and CL the phone and computer no big deal. checked around and not easy to catch the matches in Australia. don’t forget next year the EPLTALK preseason convention on the shores of the Atlantic in your little slice of paradise.

• Alex Wolcott says:

A lot of EPL matches down there are on the Fox cable sports network. You tend to get a lot of the big non-EPL games on SBS and I remember watching Champions League on that a few years back.

2. jtm371 says:

BRAVO nice gesture by Everton class act! RIP Liverpool 96

3. Alex Wolcott says:

Oh boy, the Newcastle defense is pretty much the opposite of a thing of beauty this evening.

4. IanCransonsKnees says:

One for the Everton fans out there who’ve missed it. The ‘new Wayne Rooney’ Jose Baxter has signed for Oldham, scored on his debut on Saturday against Notts County. Decided to leave as he wants to play first team football. I think there will be a few like him looking at the likes of Tom Ince and making similar moves.

5. jtm371 says:

Howard must have slipped did not have a good replay to tell weak shot should have stopped it.

6. jtm371 says:

Everton screwed need video replay.NOW!

7. jtm371 says:

Why did they not play the advantage?

8. Guy says:

Wow! Sure not boring.

9. jtm371 says:

Justice!

10. Guy says:

Unbelievable!

11. jtm371 says:

What a match i know now i have to go on vacation more often.

12. Alex Wolcott says:

Great stuff here. Ba is just absolutely amazing sometimes.

13. jason says:

I’ve tried reaching you guys via twitter, to no avail, so here goes. What exactly, and when exactly, did FOX Soccer Plus decide that they will no longer air all games in HD? I’ve paid 14.99 a month for two years and gotten all my games in HD, as it should be for 14.99 a month. This year, I’ve increasingly noticed how it no longer airs live games in HD, but until this weekend and the tape-delayed Arsenal match I never really got to concerned or looked into the “why” behind these occurrences . Fast forward to today when I check for Champions League on FSP — yep, both Tuesday and Wednesday in standard only. This is ridiculous and totally out of nowhere. I ask you EPL TALK to give me some answer on this or at least address it in a post, etc. If this issue hasn’t come to a head yet, I believe with Champions League coming tomorrow people will notice and be not to pleased.

Thanks for your time.

Jason

• Guy says:

Look to your provider. I have FS+ through TimeWarner (as part of the SportsPack) and the matches have been and continue to be in HD.

14. The Gaffer says:

Jason, unfortunately my cable provider doesn’t offer FOX Soccer Plus, so you’re one step ahead of me. Check with your local provider, like Guy says. If you don’t have any luck with that, let me know and I can check with FOX.

I don’t typically read the DM’s I get on Twitter. 99% of them are spam (apart from yours, of course).