Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Sir Alex Ferguson Calls for Improved Relationship With Liverpool: The Daily EPL

fergie1 Sir Alex Ferguson Calls for Improved Relationship With Liverpool: The Daily EPL

After the revelations this week about the truth behind the Hillsborough Disaster, Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has today come out and called for better relationships with Liverpool. The two clubs, both on and off the pitch, have had a very hostile relationship over the years. And with Liverpool scheduled to play Manchester United next weekend, now is a good a time as any for Ferguson and Rodgers to call for more respect between the two biggest clubs in English football history.

Here are today’s Premier League news headlines:

The Daily EPL is your morning guide to the latest Premier League news headlines, so you don’t have to spend an hour or more scanning the Internet. We do all the work for you. Read The Daily EPL on EPL Talk every morning to stay on top of all the news that matters.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Liverpool, Manchester United. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sir Alex Ferguson Calls for Improved Relationship With Liverpool: The Daily EPL

1. Charles Boyer says:

You can respect a rival and be civil to them while wanting your side to post a lopsided and embarrassing win.

If anything, we’ve learned once again that it’s all fun and games until someone get hurt or (unthinkably) killed, and my lifelong allegiance to the Red Devils side never once entered my head or my heart when I grieved again for the Liverpool 96 this past week. Their fans love their boys as much as we love ours but we both love the game with the same fervor, and no matter who we may individually pull for on match day we should care about each other and treat each other with respect the rest of the time.

• Todd says:

I completely agree. It’s in bad taste for fans to reference the loss of life, particularly by singing/chanting about horrific events that ended with human beings dying.

I think that too often rivalries between clubs becomes shaded in terms of warfare. In war the opposing side is dehumanized to make it an easier case to 1) go to war and 2) be able to kill another human being. Too often the human side of a person is forgotten. Too often fans forget that the person sitting in the away side section also has a family. They are looked down upon as being the opponent who follows your hated rival instead of someone who might only be a young child.

I myself am a United supporter, but I get sick of hearing the chants that promote hurting other people. I’d much rather hear songs that promote the club itself.

Respect for life should come first and foremost.

2. Sammy says:

The second article on Arsenal’s defensive start to the season is a good one. Enjoyed reading it. : )

• Jonathan says:

As a gooner, I’m giving you the benefit of the doubt. I choose to believe that you aren’t computer literate or that this gaff is due to some other regrettable error. Please try to place your posts appropriately in the future.

• Sammy says:

I’m sorry but I don’t understand what you mean. How Was my comment placed inappropriately? I was referring to the link to the article with the headline “Keeping it clean: Arsenal eye best defensive start to a season”, which I had read and found interesting. That was just my personal opinion and recconebdation. So what is wrong with my comment then? Could you explain it to me?

• Guy says:

Jonathan……there are thirteen articles posted under the opener. Sammy was commenting on one of them. If you have read The Daily EPL before then you should know that his post is placed entirely appropriately. There is no way to segregate the commentary on the articles, so it is always mixed unless someone is directly replying to a previous post, which Sammy was not. His avatar is correctly placed.

Perhaps, in the future, you might not be so quick to judge others.

3. dust says:

Unfortunately there will still be songs, Man utd fans will bring up the years of grief they took form LFC fans about the Munich disaster, its a sad circle.

Fergie coming out and asking for it to stop may have an influence for a little while until time has passed.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

Exacty. All you’ve had on radio phone ins over here all week is calls for people to stop singing about Hillsborough etc, then you know it’s never going to happen because you get callers ringing saying they’re Anfield regulars, home and away and have never heard Liverpool fans doing the Munich chant. Pull the other one.

As much as people want it to change it will not happen, it’s too ingrained and once that flashpoint sparks in a match, a disputed decision, a bad challenge, a pasting – whatever – it’ll always rear its ugly head.