WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL
MAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV
ZEN

Moldova vs England, 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifier: Open Thread

moldova england 600x336 Moldova vs England, 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifier: Open Thread

England’s path via the qualification rounds for the 2014 FIFA World Cup takes off today with an away match against Eastern European country Moldova (2:45pm ET on ESPN3.com for readers in the United States). That’s a qualification path of 1 year, 9 months and 5 days – a brutally long and boring route that needlessly breaks up the club seasons at several inopportune times over the next 15 months.

But complain as I do about the awful international breaks, they’re not going to change anytime soon, so we may as well grin and bear it. England kicks off their match today missing several key players due to injury, but England still gets to field a strong side nevertheless.

England starting line-up: Hart; Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Baines; Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, Oxlade-Chamberlain; Cleverley; Defoe.

It’ll be important for England to get an early goal and a comfortable win today to set themselves up well for their match against Ukraine early next week.

Before, during and after today’s England match, post your rants, raves, questions and observations in the comments section below. Feel free to chat about all of the other World Cup qualifying matches that are going on today, too.

This entry was posted in England, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Moldova vs England, 2014 FIFA World Cup Qualifier: Open Thread

1. The Gaffer says:

Wow, that was fast!

2. Dust says:

Gerrard and Johnson look sloppy. How on earth did Johnson get picked in front of walker, especially against Moldova. Hodgson has no clue.

Should not have been a penalty really, very unlucky, smashed at him from a yard away.

3. Guy says:

England looking like Liverpool in front of net.

4. Dust says:

Just as I post that Gerrard makes a great fun and pass that Defoe should have put away….typical. Let’s hope he continues

5. dust says:

i wonder why the Wales v Belgium game isn’t available on espn3

6. BD says:

I am really upset with you Alex. You couldn’t post the Moldova starting lineup? How dare you…….

7. dust says:

I don’t think we should get carried away as it is only Moldovia. Ox has been full of energy, as surprisingly has old man Lampard, defoe finally on the sheet after missing a few.

This should be the scoreline against a team as bad as Moldovia, saying that tho, in the past england haven’t been convincing against lesser opposition. Baines also looks good comfortable.

…just as I write this, again on 39 mins exactly Gerrard looses the ball….ugghh

• dust says:

moldovia ….no idea why I added an i…. I guess because its in eastern Europe i subconsciously added an i…sorry Moldova

8. dust says:

lookinf at the replays…oohhh…Moldova are pretty bad…sunday league goalkeeping

9. Guy says:

Happy for LB, but I can’t watch any more of that.

10. dust says:

I see a 10 man wales tried all they could but Belgium were just too good, Vertonghens free kick was great. he played left back which as I have said before, I feel he would be great for us at spurs. I think the Ideal Back four would be (when kaboul is back) Walker, Caulker, Kaboul, Vertonghen.

I hope that is the way AVB sets up when he has all available.

11. Matt says:

for those of you who “hate” international breaks, when do you want these games to be played? Come on, its not the end of the world, they have to play these qualifiers. One break a month isn’t the end of the world

• The Gaffer says:

Hi Matt, here’s my suggestion (although it’ll never happen):

Instead of a long, drawn-out qualification process that takes almost two years, I’d prefer to see a mini-tournament 6-9 months before a World Cup that allows the nations from the different confederations to play against each other. The mini-tournament would be seeded so that the minnows have to fight it out among themselves to qualify for the latter rounds of the tournament. From the mini-tournaments, each confederation would then have their winners who would be qualified to play in the World Cup.