WED, 12PM ET
WED, 2:45PM ET
MAL0
JUV2
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV0
MON1

Is This The Future Of Advertising We Can Expect to See in the Premier League?

stoke city signboards Is This The Future Of Advertising We Can Expect to See in the Premier League?

It’s not often that Stoke City is considered as a pioneer in the Premier League, but in this particular case, they are.

Beginning in the 2012-13 Premier League season, Stoke City will be the first club in the league to feature two rows of advertising signboards around the perimeter of the pitch. In recent years, we’ve seen advances such as electronic signboards that can flash, change and rotate advertising messages during a game, but this is a first in the EPL — after a successful test during Euro 2012.

Stoke City’s LED advertising will allow the club to generate more money from advertising by having the two rows on top of each other visible by TV viewers worldwide.

“This innovative move will give us a competitive edge in the marketplace and enable us to maximise the exposure that we enjoy worldwide as a Premier League club,” commented City’s Head of Commercial Andrew Billingham. “We are proud of the fact that we are the first Premier League club to offer this opportunity to our partners and it’s an important step forward at a time when the level of television coverage continues to rise at a remarkable rate.

According to Football Marketing, “The second row of LED will be used similarly to the recent Euro 2012 Finals out in Poland and Ukraine, artwork will remain static so as not to conflict with the messages which are being broadcast on the front row system.”

But I’m sure it’s only a matter of time until other Premier League clubs adopt the second row of LED advertising signboards. And eventually the second row will include motion instead of static advertisements.

What do you think of the development? Are you not bothered by it? Or is it something you think is a poor decision? Share your opinions in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Stoke City. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Is This The Future Of Advertising We Can Expect to See in the Premier League?

1. Jon says:

With Financial Fair Play, expect this to become the norm. Clubs are going to be exploiting every opportunity to raise more sponsorship funds.

2. NC says:

How about advertising on the pitch. The NFL puts logos on the 50 yard line, why not sell the midfield circle space to the highest bidder and throw their logo in the middle of the field.

• Guy says:

Rugby already does this with “virtual” ads, which eliminates the need for constant placement and erasure if another team/league is also using the stadium.

• Nonsense says:

Are you sure about that. The NFL just said no to advertising on shirts..when do they paint the 50 yard line with a company logo?

• David says:

NFL teams put the team logo at midfield, not a sponsor logo

• Nonsense says:

Thank you David, that’s what I thought.

NC – revenue producing advertising and the home teams logo at the 50 yard line are to very different things. The NFL isn’t selling space on the 50 yard line and the EPL shouldn’t either. I’m not sure I want to even see a virtual logo if it takes up any viewing space when I’m watching TV.

• Nonsense says:

GAFFER – CAN WE GET AN EDIT BUTTON!?

The above should read “… at the 50 yard line are two very different things.”

• NC says:

Sorry guys, that comment was tongue in cheek. I understand the difference between the two. On a serious note though, the Arena Football League sells ads on their field (not midfield), NHL has ads on the ice too. So there is some of that going on in leagues with less exposure. The NBA puts stuff on the top of the backboard so that it is visible on free throw replays. Maybe soccer will look at something like this re: goalposts. I know it all seems really awful, but in return we get two 45 minute halves of uninterrupted sport.

• Guy says:

They take up no space. Action runs over them just like it does with NFL first down and red zone arrows.

3. Cody says:

Not that it will ever affect me, but what about the fans in the first 2 rows. Will they be trying to look over a fence? It looks tall.

4. Thomas says:

It’s funny, Americans think it’s stupid that Soccer Clubs (I’ll say soccer to avoid confusion) have sponsors on their kits. Yet they are OK with a 4 hour Sunday Night broadcast that breaks for commercials EVERY possession. Hell, the NFL added the 2 minute warning just to show more ads.

As long as the advertising doesn’t become TOO intrusive, I don’t mind clubs selling ad space in the stadium.

Much rather see a logo on a shirt and on the touchline than have to wait for the game to continue because of TV commercial breaks.

• Nonsense says:

So you speak/know all Americans? I hate commericial breaks and I don’t mind sponsors on shirts – that’s the NFL not Americans as a whole.

I too don’t mind advertising unless it is too intrusive and I think on field logos or virtual logos on the field are.

Don’t make yourself sound stupid by claiming Americans think it’s stupid to have sponsor logos on shirts. When you generalize you sound ignorant.

• Nonsense says:

So you now go back and give all my posts a thumbs down. I’m very hurt by that however the fact remains the post was ignorant. One man doesn’t speak for an entire country – who wants to sit through commercials and see less non-stop play – you sure have us Americans figured out.

• Thomas says:

First of all, I said Americans, not ALL Americans. Next time I’ll make sure I’m semantically correct in all statements.

Secondly, I am American, and a general consensus I’ve found from non-football fans (NFL fans, for instance) is that they hate the logos on shirts. Obviously there are those that are into European football and by the replicas in droves, so it’s not all Americans. I’m sure most Americans don’t enjoy seeing the same Silverado commercial 15 times in an NFL broadcast – but by and large, we’ve come to accept that advertising breaks are part of sport.

Go back to the WC 2006, and you’ll see it was American advertisers who were asking for 15-30 second commercial breaks during stoppage of play (free kicks, etc.).

I’m sorry I’ve offended you so deeply by making a generalization of our countrymen on a blog comment forum.

And for the record, I did not give a single one of your comments a thumbs down.

• Nonsense says:

You probably didn’t give me a thumbs down however the comment was sarcasm that didn’t register with you. I have a few that like to lurk but not comment. As far as everything else you just typed, wait for it….B-A-C-K-P-E-D-A-L-I-N-G. I’d also love to see the research you’ve done on how American football fans feel about sponsorship logos on NFL uniforms. You must since you speak as fact?

• Thomas says:

In fact, I’ve gone back and given you thumbs up on a select few posts. I hope you feel better now.

• Thomas says:

How am I backpedaling? I’m merely adding clarity for you, since you seem to take everything that is written in an entirely literal sense.

You are correct, I’ve done minimal research on the subject.

But I can wager a hefty bet that a poll on the subject would raise a high percentage of negative responses from fans.

Unless of course you frame this as a way to lower ticket prices/# of TV ads. But even you aren’t daft enough to think that would actually happen.

I suggest you start here: http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/story/_/id/7801888/uniform-ads-nba-nfl-mlb-nhl-count-anytime-soon

Then read the comments section on this post: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1266148-nba-approves-advertising-on-jerseys-for-2013-14-season

I know you’ve set it specifically to NFL uniforms, but overall, I highly doubt there would be much deviation in fan response if you swapped the NBA to NFL.

Feel free to poke holes in this, since it’s not LITERALLY what you asked for, dolt.

• Nonsense says:

Blah, blah, blah. Your first link has absolutely no statistics on how ‘Americans’ feel about sponsorship logos in the NFL or how ‘Americans’ are in favor or indifferent to commercials. Your second link is even more ridiculous like the comments section of a bleacher report article is equivalent to hard numbers or a legitimate source to make your blanket statement, moron.

• Thomas says:

You want me to call Gallup and request they poll mainstream America on the sentiment towards advertisements on jerseys.

Go back to your cage.

• Nonsense says:

Ahhh I love it. No, that’s why you shouldn’t make the type of statements you do because you don’t have the correct information. You’re wrong, you made a blanket statement about ‘Americans’ then posted some links as if that proved what your point. When you have to resort to posting links to bleacher report comment sections you’ve already lost. I can’t stop laughing that you actually thought that meant something.

‘Dolt’ ‘Go back to my cage’ – seriously? How old are you?

• Nonsense says:

I know a guy on this site his avatar is a troll and sometimes a guy in a wheel chair – FOG is the name. The two of you would hit it off great!

5. CTBlues says:

Doesn’t the Bundesliga have two rows of ads in their stadiums? Also La Liga has the flat angled ads next to the goals that look 3D to the viewers on TV.

• NC says:

Those Serie A ads ruin the game for me. I become obsessed with the visual 3D trick they play with it and I end up staring at it more than the game.

6. Frill Artist says:

Why would anyone want ads on the half line in the middle of the pitch?? Must be off your rocker.

7. IanCransonsKnees says:

I take umbrage at the fact that we’re not considered pioneers. What about effective use of the long throw, or crowds that actually make a noise?

From my point of view as a spectator in the ground I couldn’t care less, I sit one row from the back of the stadium so it’s not like my view will be blocked. I’m all for it iff it helps pay some over the hill donkey’s wage (Michael Owen) whilst they bleed us dry sitting on the bench for a season. Pulis seems to have a fetish for at least one of these signings per season.

Any of you out there know anything about Geoff Cameron? He’s due to sign for us this week. I’m guessing it’ll take someone with interest in the MLS to answer me so I’m not going to hold my breath.

• Clampdown says:

He’s a good, solid centerback. Nothing flashy. Stronger defender than Ream, who moved to Bolton last year, and pretty good with the ball at his feet. He doesn’t panic. I think he’ll do fine. It took him a while to get on Klinsmann’s radar, but he’s now considered among the top picks for the position for the USMNT (take that for what it’s worth considering the lack of depth there for the US). Big guy, too.

• IanCransonsKnees says:

Cheers Clampdown. He passed his work permit hearing today so it’s just paperwork with Huston now. He’ll at least make the bench after Huth has been rumoured to be suffering meningitis.

• John R says:

houston dynamo president tweeted today that both the work permit and paper work were completed today. So, he is officially (and finally) a stoke player. Enjoy him. he could put in some good minutes for stoke.