arsenal forward 125 years1 Arsenal Poised to Announce Signing of Midfielders Santi Cazorla and Nuri Sahin; Plus More EPL News and Links

Beep, beep, beep. Don’t faint, but Arsenal is about to announce another new signing this summer — Santi Cazorla, a £16m attacking midfielder from Málaga. And believe it or not, but Arsenal is poised to announce a loan move for Real Madrid midfielder Nuri Sahin. Meanwhile, in a story we told you about 4 days ago, The Guardian has finally confirmed that Liverpool’s Alberto Aquilani has joined Fiorentina.

It’s been a good day for opinionated articles on EPL Talk, hence the delay in getting the morning news stories out today!

Lastly, I should have kept my mouth shut. Yesterday, I was complaining that there were no stories from The Guardian. And today, there’s an abundance of them!

Here are the latest Premier League news headlines from the past 24 hours:

And finally, in case you missed it, here’s Stewart Downing (yes, Stewart Downing) scoring not only a goal for Liverpool yesterday, but a spectacular one at that:

Video: Stewart Downing stunning goal

This entry was posted in Arsenal, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Arsenal Poised to Announce Signing of Midfielders Santi Cazorla and Nuri Sahin; Plus More EPL News and Links

1. NeilO says:

Its about time! Sahin + Carzola = at least 3rd place. No doubt in my mind.

2. bucky says:

I dont understand the need for Sahin. Dont see the need for Sahin. M’Vila is a better player than Sahin. Perhaps it is just a ploy so that Rennes will lower the price for M’Vila.

Gazidis said the Club didnt spend all of the money they had available last summer because they thought this year would be a better year for the club to buy. Very few teams have available cash to buy. Arsenal are one of the few non oil funded football clubs that has money to spend.

• Michael Jones says:

I think the feeling is that he has an attitude problem and nothing to do with his ability.

• Tony says:

Really? M’Villa better than Sahin? Did you ever watch Nuri play for Dortmund? He was incredible. Very much in the mold of Cesc Fabregas but plays deeper and is a much better tackler. He is exactly the type of player Arsenal currently need. Someone with some creative ability deep on the pitch. Too many times last year we let the other team drop deep on us and we were unable to come up with creativity to get in behind. Not to mention he would chip in with a decent goal tally. M’Villa to me is a bit overhyped. I watched a decent amount of him at rennes last year and caught all his euro performances. A quality player, but not the destroyer many arsenal fans make him out to be. He is a good passer of the ball, but honestly defensively he is not better than Song. Plus, we have Le Coq and Frimpong coming through the cdm spot. Sahin would be my choice if it was one or the other.

3. dano328 says:

We need him. Remember how bad we we were when Arteta was hurt. I’d still like a bruiser like M’Vila but pretty excited about this lineup, with or without RVP

4. Stewart udoh says:

Honestly for the first time in 7years,wenger can finally see beyond his nose,i’m so elated for my darling arsenal,santi cazorla and nuhi sahin capture coupled with a world-class defender addition capture will see arsenal transforming into Epl and European powerhouse next summer,thumbs up wenger

• Todd says:

That’s what I’m anticipating the most: a world-class defender. They need depth and quality players to rotate, something not possible now. Kos & Verm make a solid middle, but I’m not sold on a lot of the other options sans Sagna. Can’t wait to see how the new lineup plays out!

5. a new improvement 4 arsenal to shine. the trophy aimer

6. jonathan says:

super excited for the new guys coming in BEFORE the season starts. let’s not forget the most important signing this summer Steve Bould. arsenal’s back line will hopefully become a unit this season instead of just 5 defenders.

7. Dust says:

WoW arsenal buying more players from the continent. Whinger has been at the arse for 16 years, the second most tenured manager in the league, with all that time you would expect a manager to build a world class youth acadamy in his vision that produces great english talent that progress to the first team. But no, its either young cheaper players from the continent into the youth squad or just buying from abroad. Don’t use jack injured as an example. Where is the great youth academy putting out English talent that grows into the first team, it’s not because of lack of talent, SAF seems to do a great job…. Such a waste,even Moyes at Everton, even Spurs do and they have had no where near the consistency of manager to even have that long term vision.

As much as I despise the arse, the huge resources and management consistency would lead you to believe they wouldn’t need to bust the bank or even buy that many players from the continent…incredible waste, especially as mange,net tenure and the need for instant success are continually growing.

Having a diverse league of talent from all over the world is what makes the EPL the greatest league, but for a club of the arses size and firtunate situation to not at least have 3 english academy players in its first team is an embarrassment.

8. dano328 says:

Dust. Your grasping at straws to find a way to criticize us. You can’t stand it that we are having a decent summer despite probably losing our best player.

• dust says:

LOL no no no, that has nothing to do with it. Just be objective for a moment. Do you think that whinger has done a good job after 16 years of nurturing players through the academy to he first team? name players in the last 5 years that have come though your academy and are in the first team, or even how many first team appearances there have been by arsenal academy graduates and then see how many are english.

The reason I ask is because of all the clubs in europe, whinger has been there the one of the longest period of time and has had success turning the arse into a club with huge resources and infrastructure, enough to develop players from a young age, from england. Especially when he bangs on about the state of footballs finances and how they do it the right way, Hardly.

I see a headline of another contonental player being brought into the epl by arsenal, he has had the tenure and the resources, so whats his excuse? Southampton have produced more english talent recently than the arse have (ox and walcot) (Bale is welsh so that doesn’t count I guess).

I think its a disgrace given the unique situation the whinger has had that he has not been able to recruit and transform anyone from the academy at the arse have been in. Caulker, Kane, Carrol, Rose, have all come through the academy and reserves and will be in the first team this year. Thats why I made the comment after seeing another continental player going to a big club. An observation was all it was.

Trust me there are plenty of other things I could choose to mock you lot over…lol..

Do you really think my observation is wrong or were you just being defensive?

• Todd says:

You really are clutching at straws here. Not that I blame you; you do support Spurs after all – what else do you have left?

No English youth coming through Arsenal? Clearly you are in denial. What about the likes of Afobe, Lansbury, & Bartley having all broken through to the 1st team this year? That’s not even including Jack OR Gibbs, who are proven top-talents.

Then on the reserves, we have Aneke, Watt, Eastmond, Yennaris..all very promising young stars, English, nad raised in the Academy. Having said all that, how can you honestly defend you “point”?

• dust says:

LOL sure, those players are regular first teamer’s haha! way to be objective! I didn’t ask about who is in your reserves I asked what english players have you developed into regular first team players for the arse over the last 5 years. Your reaction tells me you are embarrassed by it too but don’t have the sack to say it.

9. dano328 says:

I’d like to see more youngsters come through, but not losing sleep over it. His model has been to buy young players from the continent. Wilshire = 3 normal squad players in quality so its not a total fail. This year he is buying mature players and its a welcome change. I thought it was an odd thing to pick at but will take your point at face value.

• Ayoade Ayomide says:

Dust….If Wenger has not done a great Job,he wouldnt have been chosen as the Coach of the Century last 2 seasons.Arsenal plays a dominating football and guess what,a Trophyless drought has ended.
      Last season,they moved from 17th position to 3rd,its a great club,dont deny it.

Gunners 4 Life

10. Brown says:

I think santi and sahin capture very important and will help to win more trophies this season.Don’t forget we have a trophy last month without them

11. Mufc77 says:

A little surprised Utd didn’t show some interest in Sahin especially since hes available on loan and he has already played with Kagawa.

Even with the new signings I still see Arsenal and Chelsea fighting it out for 3rd and 4th.