US TV Schedule Revealed For Opening Weekend of 2012-13 Premier League Season

espn fox soccer logos1 US TV Schedule Revealed For Opening Weekend of 2012 13 Premier League Season

The opening weekend of the Premier League season is less than 3 weeks away, and we now know what the TV and Internet schedule will be for that weekend, where every match will be shown live for viewers in the United States.

The schedule is as follows (all times eastern):

Saturday, August 18:

Arsenal vs Sunderland, 10am, ESPN or ESPN2/ESPN3.com
West Brom vs Liverpool, 10am, FOX Soccer
Fulham vs Norwich City, 10am, FOX Soccer Plus and FOX Soccer 2Go
QPR vs Swansea, 10am, FOX Soccer 2Go
Reading vs Stoke, 10am, FOX Soccer 2Go
West Ham United vs Aston Villa, 10am, FOX Soccer 2Go
Newcastle United vs Tottenham Hotspur, 12:30 pm, FOX Soccer

Sunday, August 19:

Wigan vs Chelsea, 8:30am, FOX Soccer
Manchester City vs Southampton, 11am, FOX Soccer

Monday, August 20:

Everton vs Manchester United, 3pm, ESPN2

ESPN hasn’t decided yet whether to show the Arsenal-Sunderland match on ESPN or ESPN2, so stay tuned to EPL Talk’s Premier League TV schedule for that one.

In addition to news about the TV schedule for the opening weekend of the Premier League, FOX Soccer has announced that they’ll be showing Liverpool’s two Europa League games in the next couple of weeks. Those games are:

Thursday, August 2:

Gomel vs Liverpool, Europa League, 2pm, FOX Soccer

Thursday, August 9:

Liverpool vs Gomel, Europa League, Noon, FOX Soccer

Thanks to EPL Talk readers Jason Gatties and Mohsin Mehtar for the news tips.

38 Responses to US TV Schedule Revealed For Opening Weekend of 2012-13 Premier League Season

1. M Owen says:

Gaffer dude, do you know if Monica will be doing interviews for espn?

• The Gaffer says:

I don’t believe so. ESPN doesn’t do in-game interviews during Premier League matches.

2. Tayo says:

Any news regarding bein sports?

• The Gaffer says:

FOX Soccer has the TV and Internet rights to the Premier League through the end of the 2012-13 season. For the 2012-13 season, FOX will continue to sublicense some of their rights so that ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3.com and ESPN Deportes can show some of the games.

If beIN Sport enters into the bidding of the Premier League for seasons 2013-2016 in the US, we’ll know more in September (or maybe October).

• Patrick says:

Gaffer, I know that this is off the subject, but what are your impressions about Scotland, Wales, & Republic of Ireland bidding to host the 2020 European Championships. I know its early, but seeing that your are originally from Wales I was curious to see what your take is. I know that Turkey is the presumed front runner, but with Istanbul bidding to host the 2020 Summer Olympics that could throw a wrench into Turkey’s plan to host the Euros. Although, didn’t Michel Platini say that the 2020 Euros could be held throughout multiple cities in Europe.

• The Gaffer says:

It appears that Platini’s idea of having Euro 2020 games played across Europe is the frontrunner right now, which I like. But I’d love it if Wales-Scotland and Ireland could co-host the tournament, although I don’t see it happening.

Thanks for asking Patrick!

• NC says:

Gaffer –

I know this is probably misplaced but what have you heard about carriers for beIN Sport? The only serious discussion i’ve located on the internet is some pissing competition on a thread on bigsoccer.com

• The Gaffer says:

No distributors have been signed as of yet, but I know that beIN Sport is busy trying to sign deals with them.

• Yespage says:

• Yespage says:

Just to clarify, I’m not doubting you, just wondering the strength of the statement. You are going to know more about that stuff than I would.

3. Jacob says:

So pumped!!! Can’t wait to finally have something to do at 4am here on the west coast!!! DRINKS ARE ON ME!!!

4. The Gaffer says:

In reply to Yespage’s question above (“Is that a fact or a hunch or likely? I remember way back when that maybe two deals had already been pen’d.It seems a little late in the game to still have no deals signed yet. Their website indicates nothing about streaming. It’d be silly if they end up with that much coverage… and no service to show it at all.”)

Yespage, it’s a fact. Contract negotiations can often drag out, but there’s still time before beIN Sport officially launches their channel on August 15 to sign a deal or two. However, streaming of the games will not be ready for their launch date.

5. Matt says:

Hey Gaffer,

Sort of off topic, but seeing as you’re the source of knowledge on all things televised, do you have any idea when the UEFA mix channels on DIRECTV will activate? I am craving competitive matches that don’t involve the MLS.

Thanks

• Yespage says:

I believe Fox has the rights to the Europa Cup this year, not Directv.

• The Gaffer says:

Matt, if you mean the UEFA Champions League, the mix channels for those probably won’t begin until September. But I don’t have DirecTV. And DirecTV is very poor with communicating what their schedules are going to be, until just days before games.

You’re welcome, Matt!

6. Matt says:

Thanks for the update on Liverpool’s Europa League match being on Fox Soccer this week. Your site is a life-saver.

7. Jon says:

Did GolTV lose the Europa League too?

• The Gaffer says:

Yes. They don’t have much left other than Argentine and Brazilian leagues. How they’re staying in business, I don’t know.

• Jon says:

I guess they still have the Bundesliga, right? I’ve noticed they’re had a few Mexican league games recently, too.

But yeah, that can’t be a viable model. Still can’t understand why/how Al Jazeera hasn’t bought them out on the cheap to get their distribution.

• The Gaffer says:

True, they have the Bundesliga through 2015, but it’s not as if they show a lot of those games. Many of them end up on ESPN3.com

8. Marco says:

Great job with the tv info Gaffer. This news gets me excited and ready to cheer on Arsenal. It’s quite sad that we don’t have a conclusion to watching the other leagues though. I looked forward to seeing PSG, Real Madrid, Barca, & Juventus among others compete this season.

9. Gaz says:

Is that Fox Soccer network treating their online streaming (2 Go) in a similar fashion to last year? Will all Fox Soccer Plus matches be on simultaneously, while Fox Soccer Channel matches are available at midnight?

From the schedule that you’ve posted, it doesn’t look that way. Especially considering Liverpool’s Europa match isn’t online this Thursday.

Are they giving each part of the network (Fox Soccer Channel, Fox Soccer Plus, and Fox Soccer 2 Go) exclusives?

• The Gaffer says:

I don’t expect FOX Soccer 2Go to change from last season, so any games shown live on FOX Soccer will be available on demand several hours after the game ends (usually at midnight).

FOX Soccer 2Go will have live EPL games that aren’t shown live on FOX Soccer or FOX Soccer Plus.

• Gaz says:

Sorry, just want to clarify your take on this, Gaffer.

So Fox Soccer 2 Go will have all the matches on Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus, and, obviously, Fox Soccer 2 Go either live or midnight delay?

• Gaz says:

I guess I’m asking if there are any matches that will be exclusive to Fox Soccer or Fox Soccer Plus and not be shown at ALL on Fox Soccer 2 Go.

• The Gaffer says:

Ah, okay. The answer would be no. Any EPL games shown on FOX Soccer or FOX Soccer Plus would be shown on FOX Soccer 2Go. The ones on FOX Soccer would be shown on delay on FOX Soccer 2Go.

• Gaz says:

Cheers.

Since Fox Soccer 2 Go is my only source of the Premier League, I was worried when I saw that schedule at first. :)

10. Denis says:

So foxsoccer2go does not get archived games on demand like espn3. What’s the point of paying money for their service?
    Also are beinsport stupid?they cannot get their streaming starting on the 15th? They have the exclusive right of many leagues. Any chance of sublicencing?

• The Gaffer says:

Denis, FOX Soccer 2GO has archived games, too. On demand, and live. Many of the ESPN3 EPL games are only available live, so if you miss them live, there’s no archive or on demand to watch.

Stay tuned today for more info about beIN Sport.

11. Cody says:

So happy that ESPN grabbed the arsenal game!
    Trying to hold out on paying for Fox Soccer one more week.
    Will probably go to a bar at lunch to watch Newcastle v Spurs.

12. Mark P. says:

Hey Gaffer….Great work all through Euro 2012.

I know I sound like a broken record, but any word on Fox Soccer 2 Go having an Android app?? Or will I spend another season being bitter and bad mouthing Fox every chance I get??

• KE says:

If you want an app to track all the EPL on Android – we are launching PTSoccer. Available 10th August!

• The Gaffer says:

I haven’t heard a word from FOX Soccer about the Android app in close to a year. Hopefully they’re continuing to work on it. But as soon as I hear something, I’ll post it on EPL Talk.

13. Joe says:

Not going to lie I love my MLS, mainly because I can see my team live….With that said I love waking up early on the weekends for some EPL. This led me to think about having my MLS direct kick package and how nice it would be to have something comparable for EPL that you can buy and get all the games not shown on national TV. Im sure it is not that simple with TV rights but one can dream i suppose.