Who would have expected that last night’s draw between LA Galaxy and Tottenham Hotspur would have created so much controversy? Gareth Bale, the man who was such a centerpiece of the Team GB football Olympic squad, ruled himself out of the team about a month ago with a back and hip injury. But he shoved his loyalty for his country in the faces of the Team GB Olympic organizing committee last night by playing in a friendly in Los Angeles and scoring.
So much for that injury.
Now Sepp Blatter has come out this morning and has said that if the FA wants to make a complaint to FIFA, then Gareth Bale will be banned from playing for Tottenham Hotspur while the Olympics are being played. Whether that’s the FA of Wales and of England, we’ll have to wait and see. But Gareth Bale could be made an example of.
What do you think? Should he be banned from playing for Tottenham while the Olympic football tournament goes on? Or should the FA just ignore the story.
Meanwhile, here are the top Premier League stories of the day. And there’s a lot of them:
- Sepp Blatter warns Gareth Bale could be banned — The Guardian
- André Villas-Boas defends Gareth Bale’s Team GB withdrawal — The Guardian
- Luka Modric apologises for going AWOL but is unlikely to join Tottenham’s tour, says Andre Villas-Boas — The Telegraph
- Liverpool make offer for Swansea City star Joe Allen — Wales Online
- Lucas Moura continues transfer negotiations with Manchester United — The Guardian
- Harry Redknapp will attempt to save Portsmouth from closure — The Independent
- QPR is considering loaning out Joey Barton to a Football League club to speed up the serving of his 12-match ban — BBC Sport
- John Terry braced for FA decision on Anton Ferdinand abuse charge — The Guardian
- Stephen Kelly has signed a two-year contract extension with Fulham — Sky Sports
- Arsenal’s ‘good workout’ earns victory over Malaysia XI — The Guardian
- Grant Holt’s late strike gave Norwich a narrow victory over Celtic — Sky Sports
- Swansea City keen to add goalscoring threat to squad — South Wales Evening Post
- LA Galaxy 1-1 Tottenham Hotspur (Video Highlights) — 101 Great Goals
- Robbie Keane intentionally sticks his hand up Jake Livermore’s butt (LA Galaxy v Tottenham) — 101 Great Goals
- Colorado Rapids and Swansea City players and fans honor victims of Aurora tragedy — Colorado Rapids
- Rio Ferdinand has confirmed he will not formally retire from international football — Sky Sports
- Swansea 1 Colorado Rapids 2: Michael Laudrup upbeat — The Daily Mail
- Stoke slump to a 2-1 loss in Columbus (Video Highlights) — 101 Great Goals
- Columbus Crew 2-1 Stoke City (Match Report) — Columbus Crew
- Tom Hanks watches Aston Villa beat Portland Timbers on penalties — The Daily Mail
- Leeds United winger Robert Snodgrass is on his way to Norwich to hold talks regarding a move — Sky Sports
- Johnny Heitinga set for Everton exit as Fenerbahce make £5m bid — The Daily Mail
- Mauro Boselli is determined to show Wigan boss Roberto Martinez what he has been missing — Sky Sports
- Fabio Borini and the rest of the Liverpool squad trained at Fenway Park on Tuesday — Liverpool FC
- Tottenham expected to name Michael Dawson as new captain — The Daily Express
- Portland Timbers & Aston Villa spend time with Kids at the Children’s Cancer Association — The Original Winger