SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 12PM ET
REAL3
BARCA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA2
LEI0

FOX Soccer premiered the trailer yesterday for their upcoming behind-the-scenes documentary. Originally entitled “Our Liverpool: Never Walk Alone,” the new title is “Being Liverpool.”

The documentary will premiere on the free-to-air FOX network in the United States on September 16, 2012. Future episodes of Being Liverpool debut in prime time on FOX Soccer and MundoFOX beginning Sunday, September 23 (9:00 PM EST), with repeats on National Geographic Channel, FSN and FUEL TV.

The six hour-long episodes are being made available worldwide, with multiple Emmy Award-winning producer Scott Boggins (formerly of HBO’s renowned “24/7” series) leading the project.

While the trailer for the documentary looks interesting, and I’ll certainly watch it, my initial pessimism about the documentary — when it was first announced in April — remains. It looks like a puff piece for Liverpool Football Club.

I would like the documentary to be as objective as possible, to shine light on topics and conversations at Liverpool that will make the club feel uneasy. My expectation for the documentary is that it’ll be like any good documentary — that dives into a topic, pulls it apart and shares what is seen.

Perhaps my expectations are misguided. After all, the documentary is being made by FOX Soccer in close cooperation with Liverpool FC, so it’s in the best interests of both parties to make an entertaining film that is not going to make Liverpool FC look embarrassed. What I’d like to see, instead, is reality. I’d be more interested, right now, in seeing what gets left on the cutting room floor.

FOX’s decision to select Liverpool FC as their first subject of the “Being” documentary series is a wise one. The club has a proud history and they’re going through a lot of change at the moment. At the end of the day, I hope I’m proven wrong. I hope that the final documentary is more open and honest that I expect.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Liverpool. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Being Liverpool: Trailer for the Behind-The-Scenes Liverpool FC Documentary [VIDEO]

1. Matt says:

Couldn’t agree more with your opinion Gaffer. I wish they would really ask the tough questions and shine a light on a club that must feel that they are underachieving, perhaps even on the precipice of slipping further and further away from the glory they once enjoyed consistently. That said, I’ll have my DVR set, that’s for sure.

2. jtm371 says:

I would have to agree it will be a puff piece for LFC why would you agree to do it and air your dirty laundry. I will watch hope i am proven wrong. would love to see hbo do a hard knocks for a EPL team i don’t care if it is a top 4 or bottom 4 would like to see day to day 4 6 or 8 week period.

3. Jeremy says:

“so it’s in the best interests of both parties to make an entertaining film that is not going to make Liverpool FC look embarrassed.”

What has Liverpool Football Club got to be embarrassed about? yes no club is perfect, but really in 120 years Liverpool Football Club has achieved some pretty amazing feats. then we have the quality of players and gaffers that have passed under that “this is Anfield” sign and last but defiantly not least we have the supporters – the true Reds, the heart and sole of the football club. among the bes,t if not the best football supporters in the world.

• The Gaffer says:

Liverpool has a lot to be proud of, but filming for the Liverpool documentary began before the end of the 2011-12 season, so there were the embarrassing incidents regarding the way that the Luis Suarez incidents were dealt with (including Liverpool players wearing shirts to support Suarez), as well as Kenny Dalglish getting sacked.

There was also a lot of controversy about the way that Fenway Sports Group handled the sacking of Dalglish — which could be embarrassing to FSG. The documentary was supposed to be a fly-on-the-wall documentary providing access where cameras had never gone before.

4. brn442 says:

Come on Gaffer – of course it’s a puff piece. What club in their right mind would sanction a hard-hitting BBC style doc on their dirty laundry? It’s called “Being Liverpool”, not “10 reasons why we haven’t won the league in over 20 years.”

• The Gaffer says:

But it doesn’t have to be a puff piece. I’m not expecting Liverpool to air all of their dirty laundry, but there’s a way to do the documentary where the content will be more transparent. When I heard that there was a HBO hotshot directing the documentary, my expectations were raised that this would be a more honest documentary than a puff piece.