SUN, 8:30AM ET
SEA0
MON, 3PM ET
AST
SOU

Why I’m Enjoying the Euros More than the World Cup

poland fan Why Im Enjoying the Euros More than the World Cup

Did you ever have one of those nights where you wake up with a thought in your head that just won’t go away? Welcome to 4:00 AM: “Why am I enjoying the Euros more than the World Cup?” I think it comes down to two words. Size and geography.

With only 16 teams I can get my head around the whole tournament without suffering from graphical overload. I know the positions and possibilities of all the teams, which is truly amazing. It is unfortunate that the European Championships will be expanding to 24 teams next time around. For me, that is a prime example of more not necessarily being better.

The limited number of matches is a good thing. I do not have to give up an eternity to follow the Euros. Two matches a day in a good time period means I can easily watch both (yeah, I’m retired) and still get other stuff done during the day. There are no scheduling conflicts until the last match of the opening round. Three weeks and we’re done.

The competition has been very good. I certainly feel I know who the strongest and weakest teams are, but I don’t see any walkovers in the field. Each match has had an urgency for both teams that I certainly don’t remember in the World Cup. Having 24 teams in the Euros next time may destroy that. Are there actually 8 more teams we would want to see in this year’s tournament?

It also helps that I am a Premier League fan and many of the teams and players are already familiar to me. Even a small country like Croatia has multiple players I already know. Beyond that I am familiar with many players in the other European leagues simply from proximity. Here on EPL Talk, those leagues and players are frequently mentioned in articles and commentary about transfer possibilities and general chatter about league quality. I miss that familiarity during a World Cup, although I do enjoy discovering new players/teams.

The fact that the Euros are limited to the contiguous continental teams also adds a degree of interest that is missing from the WC. Many of these countries have a history of collaboration or rivalry that goes back centuries. Regardless of how those feelings stand today, you know that after every each and every match there will be fans somewhere saying, “Take that!” (among other things) with just a bit more relish than usual.

So, there you have it. That’s why I’m enjoying the Euros more than the World Cup and now that I have that off my chest I’m sure to have a better night’s sleep tonight. That is, as long as Ireland beat or tie Spain.

I know, I know. Could be another long night.

This entry was posted in Euro 2012, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Why I’m Enjoying the Euros More than the World Cup

1. Andyb says:

I completely disagree, but I can see why you like euros better and why you don’t want 24 teams.

For me, the more football the better, I’m only enjoying these euros more than I did the last World cup because the World cup wasn’t very exciting, I think there’s only been 2 matches so far where both teams haven’t scored, compare that to the last World cup which was the complete opposite!

I look forward to seeing smaller nations qualify in 2016 and seeing them provide more shocks than ever!

2. Coachie ballgames says:

I agree, this tournament has been fantastic. And yes, 24 teams will be too much, really saps any drama from qualifying.

• Guy says:

That was a thought that went through my mind. Who wouldn’t qualify with 8 more teams added? At least England would never miss out again……I think. ;-)

3. Paul says:

while this tournament is great, a tournament without Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay is just not the same.

4. Noel Gallagher says:

in the back of my mind, I thought 16 was the perfect size for this tournament.

A quick glance at the FIFA world rankings have the following 8 non-particpants highest ranked: Switerland (21), Norway (26), Bosnia (29), Slovenia (30, Hungary (31), Turkey (33), Serbia (34) and Wales (38). Slovakia is also in top 40 and Scotland just outside at 41.

Maybe there is room for more?

• Guy says:

Thanks for the info. I had checked the top 20 and found 12 tournament teams listed. I think that is what has made the competition so good. I think adding more, even weaker, teams would only prolong the tournament and weaken the competition, but that’s just me. Not arguing a point.

5. Andre says:

The reason I am enjoying the Euros more than the World Cup is they are happening right now. I love this tournament but the World Cup is better. You can say what you want about the football being better but I would opt for a tournament with Argentina, Brazil, and Uruguay anytime. 7 of the last 10 world player of the year/fifa golden ball winners have come from outside the continent and I would prefer to see them at national team level.

Living in the US I also like the added interest in day to day life that comes with the US national team in the mix.

6. dan says:

i have found the euros very enjoyable and the actual football more exciting than the world cup, but the world cup has a magical feeling about it and the coverage was better on espn, so i’d slightly favor the world cup

7. Matt says:

It’s been a good tournament, but as long as the US is in the World Cup, I’ll always favor that over the Euros.

8. Ivan says:

The quality of football so far has been very good! Fast paced games, open football (not one goalless draw so far).

We are not tortured by the “sound” that was vuvuzela (NEVER AGAIN, please!).

We don’t have Saudi Arabia and North Korea to lose by 7:0. The closest this Euro has to an outsider is Ireland.

Tango12 seems to behave normally. It is a fast ball, but it is nowhere as attrocious as the monstrocity that was Jabulani (another NEVER AGAIN, please!).

The big and obvious drawback is no Brazil and Argentina (that 4:3 friendly last week was a “wow”).

All in all, enjoying every second of the Euro. But, then, the World Cup is a special event and I for one can’t wait for Brazil, 2014.

9. Frill Artist says:

Yeah…..no. Give me the World Cup any day.

10. daS says:

while the quality of the euros is always better, the world cup is always a better party. living in a large multicultural city, the euro misses the atmosphere provided by mexican, brazilian, and other non-european fans. plus the world cup is a whole month, while this is only 2 weeks…