WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

England vs Belgium, Euro 2012 Warm Up: Open Thread

england belgium tiff 600x482 England vs Belgium, Euro 2012 Warm Up: Open Thread

England plays their final friendly today before Euro 2012 when they take on Belgium at Wembley. Coverage in the United States begins at Noon ET on FOX Soccer.

The most important thing for England today is to ensure that no more players get injured. Besides that, they need to put in a strong performance like they did against Norway, but it’ll also be interesting to see how Oxlade-Chamberlain and Welbeck do up front for England to see if those players can make a case for a starting position in Euro 2012.

Before, during or after the game today, post your observations, questions and rants and raves in the comments section below. Let’s hope England puts on a good performance against a very talented Belgium side.

This entry was posted in England, Euro 2012, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to England vs Belgium, Euro 2012 Warm Up: Open Thread

1. PaulfromMiami says:

England won’t get past the group stages with a midfield of Gerrard and Parker. Now i understand why Hodgson chose to play Carroll instead of Welbeck(who’s a better player than Carroll). With Carroll, you don’t need a midfield, all you need to do is long it to Carroll so he can knock it down for Young.

Why did Hodgson chose to play Gerrard as a CM? didnt he watch liverpool this season?

2. Tommy says:

Are England the away team? If they play like this I don’t see how they will get out of the group stage. England are going to try and play on the break and hope their defense keeps out the opposition.

I’m impressed with Belgium as they keep the ball and pass it well. They are very comfortable on the ball too.

• dust says:

If they get out of the group, it all may start to click and they put some results together, they will have been together for 4 weeks at that point. If Roy can’t get across his ideas in that amount of time, he has to wait another 3 months or so before he sees them again–not sure how much impact he is gonna have, I hope its not the Turnip all over again–brazils a lot easier to get to from over here than back in the uk, I was looking forward to it!

As for the Belgian’s I has watching for Jan Vertonghen, in-spite of playing out of position at left back, he looked impressive today, has pace, great anticipation, and didn’t have any trouble with anyone from England today, he looked like he was strolling. I hope ‘arry seals his services in the next few days.

3. Guy says:

Yeah, boys! :-)

4. CH says:

All the teams in the Euros have been outplayed by teams that didnt make it. I wonder if there is a motivation factor involved. Because France,England, Germany,Czech & Holland havent looked good in friendlies. I guess the teams that didnt qualify care more about the friendlies while the teams that did qualify care more about not getting injured.

5. CH says:

As i type Welbeck scores.

6. jtm371 says:

England’s ace in the hole is Joe Hart he is one of the top 5 goal keepers in the world.midfield now that is another story. i think they will get out of their group.

• The Gaffer says:

I agree JTM. In fact, I would say that a major reason Manchester City won the title this season was because of Joe Hart. I lost count of the number of times when Hart kept City in the match all season long.

• Lyle says:

I think Hart is a first rate GK and is a huge plus for England, because there is a dearth of talent at GK for England. That said I don’t think he’s top five in the world, maybe not even top 10. He does some foolish things every couple of games.

• jtm371 says:

name 5 GK you would take over Joe Hart can’t wait to see your list.

• Lyle says:

Petr Cech
          Iker Casillas
          Gianluigi Buffon
          Brad Friedal
          Tim Howard
          Victor Valdes
          Pepe Reina (had substandard year, but way more experienced)
          Wojciech Szczesny (better mentality, I think)

I think Hart is comparable to Neuer at Bayern. They both do somethings exceptionally well, but have some gaps in their games. I still feel he’s a little shaky sometimes. Maybe with more and more experience he’ll become even better. That would be great for England.

Lets put it this way, I feel like Hart isn’t the next Oliver Kahn.

I also can’t tell who had a better season between Joe Hart and Tim Krul or Joe Hart and Michael Vorm.

• jtm371 says:

Friedal,Howard,Szczesny are you serious nobody would take those 3 GK over Joe Hart.Cech,Buffon would pass on because of age.I guess we will have to agree to disagree.just wondering if you might be a MUFC fan.

• Lyle says:

No, not a MUFC. Fulham fan.

Maybe in a couple of seasons I’ll be willing to have Joe Hart in a top five. I just don’t think he’s quite there yet. He is too easily esteemed simply for being the top English guy.

7. jtm371 says:

I guess we will see who is right when the matches begin.what is Fulham’s plan when you lose Dempsey?