SUN, 8:30AM ET
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 37: Open Thread

super sunday sky Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 37: Open Thread

I don’t have to tell you that this is a massive day in the Premier League. Dreams may be realized or dashed today. Seasons could be destroyed. Or, we could edge closer to status quo leading up to next Sunday’s final day of the season.

The first match to kick things off is the biggest of the weekend with Newcastle United hosting Manchester City (8:30am ET/1:30pm BST, live on FOX Soccer in the United States). This will be a massive test for both sides. And with so much riding on this game, anything could happen. A win for Newcastle will put them into third place, above Arsenal. A win for Manchester City, and they’ll be one step away from lifting the Premier League trophy, as well as putting added pressure on Manchester United who play later that day.

Thirty minutes after Newcastle vs Man City kicks off, QPR entertain Stoke City. A win for QPR will move them one step closer to avoiding relegation, but a loss could condemn them to the drop next week.

At the same time that QPR plays Stoke, there are four other matches in the Premier League kicking off at the same time. Aston Villa versus Spurs is another match that will have big consequences on the third place and relegation battles. Bolton, meanwhile, is at home against West Brom in a match that they will desperately want to win. Fulham plays Sunderland in a mid-table battle, while Wolves play Everton in a match where the Toffees have a good chance to widen the gap above Liverpool.

And then, last but not least, Manchester United plays Swansea City at 11am ET/4pm BST (live on FOX Soccer in the United States). Depending what happens in the Newcastle versus Man City match earlier in the day, the pressure may be even hotter on Man United to win this match in convincing fashion. Manchester City currently has a +8 goal difference over United, so Sir Alex Ferguson’s side will want to score a hatful to narrow the gap.

So much of the focus this past week has been on how Newcastle United could be the team that has a massive impact on the Premier League title race, but most people have overlooked or dismissed Swansea’s chances because “they have nothing to play for.” As a Swansea supporter, I vehemently disagree. If the Swans could beat Manchester United at Old Trafford, no matter how gigantic that task is, it would put the Swans even more on the map as an incredible team this season. Swansea wants to continue to show the world that they can play football, even against the best and even in one of the cauldrons of world football. Swansea has everything to play for, with pride being at the top of the list.

Before, during and after today’s Premier League matches, post your rants, raves, questions and observations in the comments section below. This promises to be an incredible roller-coaster ride of a day. Hold on tight.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Premier League Sunday, Gameweek 37: Open Thread

1. Jon says:

Cabaye doesn’t even draw a yellow for that high boot?

Howard Webb is on form.

2. The Gaffer says:

It’s going to be a busy day for Tim Krul. Will he have what it takes to shut City out? Same thing for Joe Hart. Today could be the battle between the two best goalkeepers in the league this season.

3. The Gaffer says:

The other thing about this game so far is that it’s a little reminiscent of last Monday between Man City and Man United. Newcastle is defending deep with a wall of eight “defenders” when City attacks, and the Toon is trying to break on the counter attack — much like Manchester United did last week.

4. The Gaffer says:

Brilliant goal by Yaya Toure, and excellent pass by Silva.

Knowing City’s history, don’t be surprised if Newcastle pulls one back against City in this game. City needs a second to make three points a certainty.

5. The Gaffer says:

Congratulations to Manchester City on a well-deserved victory today!

6. CTBlues says:

Chelsea can still finish in 4th, but they will need to win out and they will need help on Sunday.

7. dust says:

shocked harry went for the draw when we were dominating the game even with 10 men (which was a joke by the way), Scott parker for VanDerVaart, really Harry? the defense was fine, Villa were terrible. Villas goal was a joke on so many fronts. I would expect changes at GK, LB, CB CAM and Striker. the amount of chances we had was a joke. we should have won that game, but football is a not so funny old game.

Roy draws or beats the arse and we win at home against fulham then we can still get third but this is un-necessary stress.

City looked great from what I saw during halftime. If by some miracle we end up third, I will root for chelsea, if we finish fourth then I’ll be all about the Munich. I also hope liverpool win on wednesday.

8. dust says:

This comment has no scientific basis but I hope ESPN stop covering Spurs games, every time we are on the network we never get a result regardless of play. The Connecticut curse!

9. Dust says:

Swansea should be level now.

10. andy says:

Alright Gaffer, I hate to do this but I’m calling you out. Rooney was just booked for a “foul” on Leon Britton. There was no contact what so ever, and Britton certainly made no effort to stay on his feet making it a dive. So, being a man of your word as you stated that you were, I believe that you now are forced into condemning your whole team as frauds as you said you would. Like I said, I hate to do this but you put yourself our there when you claimed that your team of Swansea was different from all the other teams in the world by never diving.

11. andy says:

Well done Swansea supporters, the few thousand on hand made more noise and supported their club till the full 90 mins than did the rest of the 70,000 Man U supporters. Even when their team was loosing 2-0 with very few signs of scoring. And this is on top of Man U moving the away section from field level to the nose bleed seats. I applaud their faith and commitment in their team.

• The Gaffer says:

Andy, give me a break. That wasn’t a dive. Rooney went in hard, and Britton jumped over him so he wouldn’t get hit hard, and then fell to the ground.

Rooney should have been yellow carded earlier for his foul on Leon Britton in the 56th minute where he purposely kicked Britton to the ground.

12. Tom says:

Premier league newb here. So man city could win the title just on goal differential? Is there any chance they change it so if 2 teams are tied to have a one or two game playoff to decide the champion?

• Evan says:

If a team has scored more and conceded less throughout an entire season why should there be a playoff?

• Mike says:

A playoff, in this instance, would also diminish the head-to-head double that City had over United in the league this year, on an aggregate of 7-1 (which is MUCH of the differential right now).

13. andy says:

Highly doubt it. They were saying that since the Premier League started in 1992, the title has never been decided on goal difference. This would be the first time, so there really wouldn’t be a need to have a play off game. If it happened more frequently, they might consider it, but I still doubt they would implement that for the title decider. I imagine that the FA would contest that the league title is decided because of the culmination of all 38 games, goals included, not a one game playoff.

14. andy says:

Alright, I know that this doesn’t have anything to do with the EPL, but it is really sad that I feel as though I have to mute my TV to save myself from the idiotic commentary that comes from the minds of Christian Miles and Christian Sullivan. It took a FULL 30 SECONDS for both of them to realize the Lucio’s goal was off sides. I swear that they must see the ball hit the back of the net and immediately turn their backs on the game! This kind of stupidity is frankly embarrassing for soccer fans such as myself.

15. The Gaffer says:

I didn’t get a chance to watch the Man United against Swansea City match live since I was at a holy communion service for my nephew, so I just finished watching it now. I must admit that I’m dismayed by FOX Soccer’s lack of respect during the half-time analysis with Rob Stone, Warren Barton, Eric Wynalda and Keith Costigan. With the scoreline at 2-0 to United at the half, all four of them were joking about what the final score would be… whether it would be 4-0, 5-0 or 6 or 7 or 8.

Full credit to Swansea, they held Man United to just two goals. But after the match was over, none of the pundits gave the Swans any credit. Costigan said that United not scoring more goals was more of a belief by United’s footballers that they didn’t think they would win this title on goal difference.

That pisses me off. Big time.

• The talking heads on Fox Soccer know nothing. You should be accustomed to it by now. Those guys would be a lot better off talking about the MLS, because then nobody would watch or care what awful analysis they have on the EPL.

16. tim says:

this isn’t related to the EPL, but to Serie A, but I think I speak for most people when I say: MILES AND SULLIVAN OUT. I can’t those two clowns commentating on matches. They’re just awful. They ruined such a gr8 match with their piss-poor commentary. Why, FSC, Why??? What is wrong with the commentators you had. and I also have issues with the new scorecard. What happened to the scorecard with THE BARCLAYS EAGLE? REMEMBER THE BARCALYS EAGLE on the left of the scorecard? Just like Champions League has it’s own unique scorecard, FSC shouldn’t tamper with the EPL scorecard. Keep it the damn way it is, ok? Like Sky Sports does it in the UK. You don’t have to cater to Americans specifically and dumb down the game for us. We don’t need you to tell us who scored the goal, how much possession is shared, how got booked, etc. I think Sky Sports does that in the UK, doesn’t it? And why can’t u get the Sky team to do the half-time analysis? Why not acquire the Sky Feed? We’ll get to listen to Jamie Redknapp, Graeme Souness, Gary Neville and the other analysts who’re better than the FSC guys. Just don’t make it different for American viewers, FFS! We want to have the same overall experience as people watching in the UK! DON’T PATRONIZE US!