FRI, 2:30PM ET
FRI, 8PM ET
CHI
HOU
FRI, 8:30PM ET
USA
MEX

espn logo1 600x450 ESPNs Euro 2012 Lead Commentators Will Be Ian Darke, Derek Rae and Adrian Healey

ESPN has announced the lead commentators for its coverage of Euro 2012. For the English-language broadcasts, the commentators will be Ian Darke, Derek Rae and Adrian Healey. Meanwhile, the lead commentators for ESPN Deportes’s Spanish-language telecasts will be Fernando Palomo, Jorge Ramos and Ricardo Ortiz.

Ian Darke and a co-commentator to be announced (presumably Steve McManaman) will commentate on all of their Euro 2012 matches live on-site in Ukraine and Poland, beginning with the opening match all the way through to the final. A second English-language commentator team will travel to Poland-Ukraine for matches beginning in the quarter-final round.

Due to the sheer volume of matches during the one-month tournament, what this means is that some of the Euro 2012 games will be called off the monitor from ESPN’s headquarters in Bristol, CT.

The return of Derek Rae to US television will be a welcome one. Rae was particularly superb during the Euro 2008 tournament, as well as World Cup 2010. Rae currently commentates on the Scottish Premier League for ESPN UK, so it’ll be great news to hear him again for a whole month. As for Ian Darke and Adrian Healey, you’re know what you’re getting with both, which is an exceptional commentary peppered with stats and plenty of emotion.

Euro 2012 runs Friday, June 8 through Sunday, July 1, in Poland-Ukraine.

What’s your opinion about Darke, Rae and Healey being announced as lead commentators? Were you expecting more variety, or can those three do an adequate job throughout the tournament? Which co-commentators would you like to see them teamed with (which ESPN will announce soon)?

This entry was posted in ESPN, Euro 2012, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

27 Responses to ESPN’s Euro 2012 Lead Commentators Will Be Ian Darke, Derek Rae and Adrian Healey

1. dani says:

the best, no competition.

im wondering if ESPN3 will be showing all matches (replay and live)???? any news?

2. Brian says:

Love it!!!! Sorry, but I am just thrilled that ESPN learned its lesson and got rid of JP Dellecamara…Nice guy but he is terrible!

3. Fog says:

I like the lineup of commentators. All first rate. I do have a personal bias against games being called off the monitor. I feel that they lose a lot of the atmosphere than when the commentators are on-site. With no more than two games a day, I would like to see all the commentators on-site.

4. patrick starr says:

No Gus Johnson?! a little early i guess. would love to hear him commentate more

• Casey G. says:

sorry this isnt the NCAA tournament, in-fairness tho it commentating during the tourney was quite drab without him there.. “RISE and FIRE!!”

5. CTBlues says:

I agree that it is going to be awesome to hear Derek Rae again. Miss him doing the Champions League matches.

6. Sacto Blues says:

No Martin Tyler ?

• The Gaffer says:

Nope.

• CTBlues says:

My guess is since ESPN signed Ian Drake as there main soccer announcer it. would be kind of a slap in the face to Drake to bring in Martin Tyler because you most definitely have to make him the lead announcer if hired.

7. Fernando says:

I love the announcers mentioned in the piece.

I do not love the possibility of announcers calling games from a studio in Bristol, CT for a game taking place in Eastern Europe. That’s quite simply unacceptable and is mailing it in quite frankly.

At least use the international feed rather than having two announcers who can’t detail anything better than the viewer at home.

• Josh says:

I think some of the world feed commentaries are off-monitor as well. The world feed has one commentator, usually someone like John Helm or Dave Woods who isn’t good enough for BBC, ITV, ESPN etc., and it can be dreadfully boring to watch.

I’m not too concerned. All of the knockout matches are on-site. I’d think Darke will do most of the big games, probably based in the Ukraine so he can do all of England’s matches.

8. Casey G. says:

While I know some people are knocking on not having commentators on site, If I remember correctly on the broadcast of the Czech Republic vs Turkey final group game match (and IMO the most dramatic and entertaining match of EURO 2008), I think Derek Rae and Andy Gray both called it from ESPN Headquarters and did a SENSATIONAL JOB in making me believe they were on site at the stadium in Geneva. Amazing commentary.

9. CH says:

F*** Yeah! Derek Rae is back! bar none the BEST in the world! His commentary from the last Euro was magical hopefully there will be more magic moments this time around. Thanks Gaffer, you made my day sir.

10. Brett says:

I hope they get Roberto Martinez for in studio analysis like the 2010 World Cup. He was excellent.

11. dust says:

There is a reason he only does the SPL, man alive, NO MT? I thought they had wrapped MT up or was that for the WC only?

Ian Darke and Steve McManaperm, ugghh man Adrian Healy is the only saving grace.

• Josh says:

He does SPL because he’s Scottish. And because ESPN also has Jon Champion. If ESPN had 2 Premiership matches per week, instead of 1, Rae would probably get some. He does FA Cup and Europa League matches featuring English teams. He’s done big Serie A games.

Tyler was only signed to do the World Cups. I think he is doing EURO for SBS in Australia.

12. Kobashi says:

Derek Rae can be heard calling SPL games on FS+ every weekend. Fox picked up SPL games a couple of months ago and use the ESPN UK feed of which Rae is the lead pxp guy.

13. JW says:

Darke and McManaman are the new Martin and Lewis.

14. Jean says:

Should’ve brought in one of the SKY PBP men to do the game. I absolutely hate Derek Rae with a passion. That man bring nothing to a game. This man can put me too sleep and then when a goal comes, I’ll be deep asleep. Dumb, just dumb by ESPN. Rob Hawthorne wasn’t available??

15. Derek Rae has the best voice on ESPN. Can’t wait for this tournament!!

16. Will h says:

Is espn covering the euros live for the English fans in Australia??

17. Pieiro says:

Hello. Sorry about changing the topic, and I don’t know if sounding off here will help, but hopefully it will. What has irked me over the years is the total ignorance of ALL commentators as how to properly pronounce Portuguese (and Brasilian) names that end with ão ! They ALWAYS say it as OW, is in COW or BOW WOW. Fortunately for my ears, it looks like only one of Portugal’s team (this year) has such a surname, Fabio Coentrão. Does anybody know how to pass this on to the commentators ?

18. southturner says:

I can’t stand Healy, Darke and that bloke who does the Barcelona and Madrid feeds on Espn and TSN. they’re all insufferable blabbermouths who don’t have any idea when to shut up.

They smother the game with mindless self promoting chatter and junk trivia, and like those idiots talking in the cinema, they ruin the game by actually thinking their observations are somehow more interesting than the game at hand and ruin the moment.

I think the game actually bores them, and they’re not actually interested in what is happening, but just in talking, talking, talking and congratulating each other.

Bring back the class, by getting rid of these self promoting wankers. They’re missing the self awareness gene.