SUN, 8:30AM ET
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

USA Men’s National Team Home Jersey Officially Revealed [PHOTO]

USA Mens National Team Home Jersey Officially Revealed [PHOTO]

Nike and US Soccer today officially revealed a photo of the new home jersey for the US men’s national soccer team for 2012-13.

Unfortunately, as we first revealed in November 2011, the leaked photo is the same design that looks like a cross between the Where’s Waldo? character and a rugby shirt. To make it even worse, the sash returns to the design of the front of the shirt.

Traditionally soccer shirts are either plain or feature stripes, while rugby shirts have either plain colors or hoops. Nike can be forgiven for incorporating the red and white hoop design because it’s part of the red and white stripes of the US national flag. However, the shirt still looks unimpressive. And, in my opinion, the away jersey — while not fantastic — looks much better than the home one.

Luckily for US soccer fans, the new USA men’s home shirt is only for this year and next, which means the national team will have a different jersey design for the 2014 World Cup. Nevertheless, I’m really disappointed in Nike’s design and US Soccer approving it. To me, the United States is suffering an identity crisis. What should the color of the US men’s national team home jersey be? When I think of the US men’s national team playing in their home colors, I picture them playing in white with red and blue trim. As you can see from this pictorial history, the USMNT has played predominantly in white home shirts since 1984. The exception is the US home shirt for the 1994 World Cup, which was designed by Adidas, and featured the red and white wavy lines.

Some critics will argue that it matters what the US does on the field and not what they wear. I completely agree. But if US Soccer wants to generate increased streams of revenue so it can pump more money into the game, it’s important that the designs that US Soccer and Nike agree on look professional and attractive. Right now, it feels as if Nike and US Soccer is either trying too hard, or they’ve lost sight of what the US is all about.

Perhaps for future designs of the US men’s national team shirt, US Soccer and Nike will allow the fans to vote on their favorite. Somehow I imagine that if they had a choice this time around, the Where’s Waldo? design wouldn’t have been the top pick.

34 Responses to USA Men’s National Team Home Jersey Officially Revealed [PHOTO]

1. Harry Cee says:

2 thumbs down…no.

2. Adam says:

It’s not the World Cup shirt, so no harm done. Plenty of
    traditional soccer nations have experimented lately.

• The original Tom says:

Yes, but I hate it when those countries do experiment. I like it
      when countries keep to tradition. Having said that, if this shirt
      was a training shirt or a t-shirt, I’d buy it. I like the look.

3. Robert says:

UGLY. Horizontal with a diagonal line, #FAIL

4. Ryan says:

I like the stripes. The sash sneaking in there doesn’t make any
    dang sense.

5. Gabe says:

I FOUND WALDO!!!!

6. Billyv says:

Like it, but lose the sash, forever.

7. SkippY says:

Just pick a general design for the home kit and STICK TO IT. Of
    course the USMNT has no identity. Of course the US Soccer fans lack
    any visible recognition. If you make radical changes to the home
    kit every two years…we will never develope a distinctive
    trademark look. If we’re candy strippers now….then stick to candy
    stripes forever.

8. Carl says:

The sash is silly, I agree, but I rather like the stripes. The kit
    could have been far worse considering stripes can be horrid if not
    implemented properly. I think it’s a nice change from the plain
    white kits we’ve had for decades now. I don’t mind white kits (they
    can be classy as hell), but the red/white sets us apart and pays
    homage to the flag, whereas the white one doesn’t (so many national
    teams have white kits now and some, such as England, make sense due
    to the flag). The away is fine, but the white sleeves really do
    mess up the kit IMO. I much prefer this one. It’s polarizing, for
    sure, but I think it will look much better on the pitch so to all
    the doubters please hold off on judgments till it’s been played in.

9. CTBlues says:

Woof. I agree they should do like a poll similar to what EA has
    been doing for Madden and NCAA Football covers to pick the next
    kit. And why not have fans design and submit a new US crest to be
    on the kit and have a poll for that too and the winner gets to go
    to a major USMNT game or something like that.

10. Clampdown says:

Second only to the ’94 jersey in being the worst US kit I can
    recall. Just awful.

11. Alex says:

While I am in favor for a all white consistent look I do quite like
    this kit. Honestly I don’t see why this short is so ugly its
    beautiful and if any body had some pride in the flag then this kit
    would make sense. Plus I’d so much rather have Nike design our kits
    than those stupid idiots at Adidas. But brands aside this kit is
    nice and while I can’t change minds here I honestly don’t
    understand why this kit is revolting. Its not its a extension of
    our flag

• Clampdown says:

Some of us don’t want the jersey to look like our flag. Sorry, but
      it reminds me of the rednecks who wear button up shirts with stars
      and stripes on them. You can see such sartorial splendor at certain
      political rallies. It looks ridiculous and it makes me sad for them
      that their patriotism is expressed in such superficial ways.

• Alex says:

There is a difference between appropriate and out right ridiculous.
        The 1994 Jersey was ridiculous . Now that is the type of appeal
        rednecks would wear. This on the other hand is simple and classy.
        I’m pretty sure if where’s Waldo never existed the opinions on this
        kit would change. The previous 2006 wc qualifier kit were hoops too
        and no one cried injustice on that. Plus I find it funny that
        people demand consistency in kit looks yet demand a change to our
        crest. I honestly don’t understand the mentality of some. In the
        same way most fanboys tell nd about mls I’ll tell everyone else,
        shut up and support the usmnt

• CTBlues says:

I want a crest that has class not one that looks like a kids logo
          with 3 stars on it when our national team has won nothing. Put the
          bald eagle on a field of navy blue with vertical red and white
          stripes coming down from that simple and classy.

12. Adam says:

What. The. Frick. I, for one, thought the sash was our only real
    identifying trait for our team uniforms, and I definitely felt some
    pride when I saw those uniforms out on the field. But this jersey
    is just amateur and unnecessarily outrageous. I mean, no one is
    going to forget these jerseys, but only because they were so
    garish. I’ll be sticking to my red and blue sash jersey when I root
    for the USMNT.

13. wingtips says:

Definitely should have made the right sleeve navy with stars and
    continued the hoops on the left sleeve. Just go full flag. And the
    sash is terrible.

14. David says:

I wish Nike would ditch the sash. I prefer a white home kit, but
    Nike should incorporate more red and blue into a white kit. I’m
    glad these won’t be the World Cup home jerseys. Hopefully by then,
    Nike will get rid of the sash.

15. S04th says:

I don’t really mind the hoops as an off-year design, but hoops are
    busy enough without the phantom sash just making a visual hash of
    it all. Don’t mix motifs Nike.

What’s odd to me is the sash recalls one of the USMNT’s
    greatest squads
    , but the red hoops and blue shorts harken
    back to the utter farce that was
    1983′s “Team America”

16. Stan says:

I’m all for US Soccer making money off jersey sales, but changing
    the design every couple years won’t help their cause (especially
    designs this bad). Pick a simple, strong, easily identifiable look
    for the yanks and STICK WITH IT. Then re-direct the constant
    redesign budget into player development. A consistent identity and
    a winning team will help Jersey sales more than this foolishness.
    Does Brazil revamp their jerseys every 5 minutes? Noooooo…. Do
    their jerseys sell? Yesssss…

• DCUDiplomat96 says:

US Soccer Traditional Uniforms has always Been White tops/ blue
      pants for home, and Navy tops for the road. Brazil always had
      Yellow. Both had slight different cuts and designs over the yrs.

17. Stan says:

This is not a slight difference. This is a jump off a cliff, from a
    dignified uniform to a laughable Cat in The Hat inspired rave
    outfit. (But hey, maybe I’ll just drop some acid before each game
    and watch the colorful wacky characters run around the field.)

18. BamaMan says:

Great simple design in my book. No need for the sash, though. I’d
    like it if we stuck with this as a home jersey for a while. Much,
    much better than the sweater vest away design.

19. Scotty says:

The top has got a bit of a retro vibe. I think it’s a very good
    design.

20. Pete says:

Well at least you can tell it’s the U.S. Better than you stealing
    designs from the traditional football teams. Stick with this, no
    more white kits for the U.S. Get rid of that badge too, you haven’t
    won anything and do not deserve to have 3 stars on your badge

21. aaron says:

I actually like the hoops design, I wouldn’t mind if it became our
    main design, one they recognize the US as wearing, but I don’t like
    the sash, it just looks out of place.

22. GeoDman says:

Well there is no sash if you are watching the Scotland US game and
    I like the number scheme. This is much better than trying to copy
    Europe countries. We are America and saying this is the worst is a
    joke. From 1980 to the 2000s they all were hideous kits. Finally we
    look different than every other country with blue in their colors.

23. Efrain says:

Yuck. I especially do not like the “light” number on back. Very
    difficult to see on television.

24. Carlos says:

I felt sorry gor the players having to wear these hideous iniforms.
    Makes them look like clowns. Why can’t they stick with the dark
    blue that rhe women had last year at the World cup? That was a
    classy and easily identifiable uniform. This kit is easily
    recognizable, but for all the wrong reasons. Whoever designed this
    short should be forced to wear it!

25. JoHn says:

Prisoner uniforms. These are harsh on the eyes (new 2012 home
    jerseys) At least the 1994 home jersey looked like a flag waving in
    the breeze. These look like the guys should be breaking rocks on a
    chain gang. These *are* less ugly than the Croatia home jerseys -
    but not by much. For those that like the ‘simplicity’ of the plain
    white – might as well be wearing t-shirts. Just plain “yawn’. Would
    think with sublimation you can come up with a tremendous design
    that can become a baseline to work with for years. However, all
    that said – win something and that jersey will be revered forever
    almost regardless of how pretty/ugly it might be.

26. John says:

Looks like our team and our jerseys have a lot in common, we’re
    still trying to develop a style. Why can we keep our uniforms
    simple? Look at the French in the European Championships! Why did
    Nike give them the stylish ones and us the ugly ones? Ours look
    like an old style barber shop pole. Those jerseys that our team
    wear are more fan wear than player wear.

27. fan says:

Horrid. Ditch the horizontal stripes-unless they are trying to be
    waldo or prison inmates. Ditch the US Soccer Emblem and adopt the
    elegant Great Seal of the United States. Make the jersey henley
    style like the new french jerseys. Make the jersey base white. Add
    white stars over a dark blue backdrop on a rectangle over the
    shoulders. The stars and bue run around the collar as well. Have
    the horizontal red stripes coming from edge of shoulder to end of
    sleeve. Add touch of red lining at sleeve and body openings. On the
    back of the collar it should say “Stars and Stripes” in old English
    Style. There-simple, less clustered, and way more elegant design
    with all the elements of the USA flag. If anything, please adopt
    the great seal of the United States. The current emblem is straight
    third grade club garbage. I already drew this design out, and it
    looks awesome. I’m going to petition to Nike to adopt this.

28. Conway Eastwood says:

Can’t stand the stripes, they look like a prison uniform. They
    should’ve kept it simple with a plain design with a sash.