THURS, 1PM ET
VIL
MON
THURS, 3PM ET
CEL
SAL

Aston Villa Announces US 2012 Summer Tour to Philadelphia, Chicago and Portland

aston villa mosaic1 Aston Villa Announces US 2012 Summer Tour to Philadelphia, Chicago and Portland

The summer of 2012 promises to be a very English summer in the United States. Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur have already officially announced friendlies in the US this summer. And now Aston Villa has joined the trio in announcing their summer Stateside tour. Plus, don’t forget about Liverpool who will be touring America this July as long as they don’t have to play Europa League qualifiers in late July.

Aston Villa will kick off their 2012 US summer tour with a friendly against Philadelphia Union at PPL Park on July 18, 2012. That friendly match will be followed with a game against Chicago Fire on July 21 at Toyota Park in the Windy City. The tour will then conclude with a friendly against Portland Timbers at JELD-WEN Field on July 24.

The Villains, owned by American Randy Lerner, were originally scheduled to tour the United States two summers ago, but they had to cancel plans after they were scheduled to begin qualification for the Europa League in late July, which clashed with their planned tour of the States. Now, luckily, Aston Villa will be back in the United States for the first time since they played here in 2007.

Villa CEO Paul Faulkner said, “There will be real value in the tour for Alex and the players on the pitch and also off the pitch for the club as a whole with the commercial and marketing side as well as the community aspect very much on our agenda, as they were last summer in Hong Kong.

“That was an exciting and hugely positive experience for the club and I’m sure we will work hard as a club to ensure we can see further development in a country in which the game has increasingly taken root.”

Okay soccer fans in the United States, how many of you are interested in going to see Aston Villa play in your neck of the woods? Let us know if you’re planning on going by posting a comment below.

This entry was posted in Aston Villa, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Aston Villa Announces US 2012 Summer Tour to Philadelphia, Chicago and Portland

1. PaulBrown says:

Like a dream come true! Just bought my tickets eight rows behind the visitors bench. Never thought I’d see Villa make it to Chicago.

2. Richard the Manc says:

Count me in. It looks like I’ll be going to the Chicago friendly. I’ve been to Old Trafford a couple of times to see my Reds take on my mate’s Villa side and each time it has ended in misery for him. This time I’ll be supporting his team.

3. jack says:

so thrilled Villa are going to be in Chicago! second best thing after going to Villa Park

4. Fernando says:

Always good to see teams come over.

Such a shame their 2011-2012 tour of England has not gone well.

5. SoccerLimey says:

It will be interesting to see if they sell out Toyota Park. Everton didn’t a few years ago.

• eplnfl says:

I was at the game and was disappointed in the crowd. Part of the issue was that it was a mid-week game. However, even in the couple of years since Everton visited soccer, MLS, the fire and Toyota Park have become more popular. A Saturday night in the summer is perfect at Toyota Park.

6. raok says:

The way they have been playing since they sacked MON they have been playing really awful, I don’t know why anybody would even bother watchin them in US.

7. eplnfl says:

I have a ticket for you Chris.

• The Gaffer says:

It’s very tempting Lou! I’m going to wait until the final dates are announced for all EPL teams in the US this summer in order to figure out which cities I can make it to. Chicago will be near the top of the list, if I can make it.

• eplnfl says:

A pleasure to have you with me at a Fire game anytime you can make it. For those readers who may want to come to the game, Chicago in July is great. So plan some extra time in the City of Chicago. No matter what the result of the game your Toyota Park experience will be a great one.

8. StellaWasAlwaysDown says:

I’m stoked!!! I have my tickets near the half line in the lower section. Bought them as soon as I saw the news go up. Money well spent as Villa are my team and I’ve been patiently waiting on them to come back to the U.S. Hopefully I will get to see the new players brought in by the new manager (*wink wink). I also support the Fire, but it’s a long second behind Villa. I will be proudly sporting my Villa shirt at Toyota Park. UTV

9. eplnfl says:

Are you from Chicago or coming special for the game?

• StellaWasAlwaysDown says:

I grew up around there, but I’ll be traveling up for it as I don’t live there anymore. I’m about 3 hours away.

10. eplnfl says:

See you at a fire game sometime then.

11. Rich says:

I wish that they would start scheduling the visiting Euro teams in places other than the same for or five. There are fans all over the country. We have 75000 seat Wilson Stadium in Buffalo or even 15000 Sahlens in Rochester. How ’bout a little love here?

12. David says:

Why not play the Crew or MLS All Stars in Cleveland? C’mon Randy you own the Browns and Aston Villa, how hard can it be to have one of your teams play in the other ones stadium!?

13. Keith says:

Coming over from Sutton Coldfield to the fire game spending four nights in chicago sampling your fine beers and cuisine taking in the sights and hoping to meet lots of you in the many sports bars and share some good villa stories so look out for the Sutton villa flag it’s got stars and stripes on it !