Chelsea to Play AC Milan and Seattle This Summer; More US Dates to Follow

chelsea Chelsea to Play AC Milan and Seattle This Summer; More US Dates to Follow

Chelsea today officially announced the first two dates of their 2012 US summer tour, more than 3 weeks after we leaked the news courtesy of the Chelsea In America supporters group.

The 2012 US summer tour kicks off with Chelsea playing Seattle Sounders on Wednesday, July 18 at CenturyLink Field. This will be Chelsea’s third visit to Seattle in seven years.

“We’re delighted to be returning to Seattle to kick off our summer in the US,” said Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay. “The right pre-season preparation is vital to us and there’s no better place to start. Seattle’s facilities are second to none and the Sounders are quality opponents who enjoy great support. We were here in 2004 and 2009 and both turned out to be winning seasons for us, so we’re really looking forward to bringing the team back.”

The second match of Chelsea’s tour was also announced today. On Saturday, July 28, Chelsea will play AC Milan at Fedex Field in Landover, Maryland, near Washington DC. The Blues will be returning to the DC area for the first time in six years, where they’ll play at the 82,000 capacity stadium.

“It was the summer of 2005 when the then newly crowned English champions were last in the US capital, winning 2-1 against the local American champions DC United,” said a statement on the Chelsea club website. “Goals that day came from Damien Duff and Hernan Crespo, members of a side that also included Geremi, Jiri Jarosik and Carlton Cole.”

In addition to the above two officially announced friendly matches, the club is expected to announce this week that Chelsea will play Celtic at Yankee Stadium in New York. Plus, there are strong rumors that Chelsea may play in the 2012 MLS All-Star Game in Philadelphia this July.

With Chelsea confirmed to play AC Milan and Seattle Sounders on their US summer tour, as well as expected games against Celtic and the MLS All-Star team, which matches are you excited about, and which ones are you planning on going to? Share your opinions in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Chelsea to Play AC Milan and Seattle This Summer; More US Dates to Follow

1. Ivan says:

Get rid of the MLS “All-Star” game already! Don’t zombify football in America in the mold of NFL, NBA, etc. What a waste this game is.

2. CTBlues says:

The Blues vs The Bhoys!

3. Steve says:

Mixed reaction in Seattle. While a lot love it, many hate friendlies, let alone seeing Chelsea again. Will have been here 3 times in a decade (2012, 2009, 2004). Plus with the Olympics, there isn’t a whole hell of a lot of enthusiasm from a vocal group online.

• The Gaffer says:

I’ve heard this from a few Seattle fans, but I’m sure there are plenty of passionate Chelsea supporters — as well as neutral fans of the Premier League — who would love to see the Blues in action again. Sounders fans may have wished for a different team, but Chelsea and the Premier League are a big appeal to ticket buyers.

• Andrew Beck says:

I hope there’s a lot of Chelsea supporters and neutral Premier League fans. If I can sell my Chelsea tickets, for a good price; I probably will.

• Kearnkoff says:

I’m from Seattle but go to college in Ohio. I’ll be back home for the summer and I’ll certainly be going. Sure, Chelsea aren’t the force they used to be, and they certainly aren’t my favorite team (understatement) but the chance to see a top PL club live is not one that should be passed up so easily. Nothing will beat the Barca game in SEA from two years ago and even the United trip last year was incredible (finally got to see my Red Devils live!) but I’ll be trying to get tickets to this one for sure. Hopefully Chelsea rebuild over the summer and bring along some younger players as well (Josh McCeachran is a great talent). Mata is a hell of a player and I’ll enjoy watching him operate in person (as long as he’s not given an extended break after the Euros)

4. Cody says:

Is there a decently comprehensive listing of all the friendlies that will be played in the US this summer?

• The Gaffer says:

Not yet, but I do one every summer — including friendlies involving Premier League clubs, playing in other countries too. I just haven’t had time to work on it, but hope to do it soon.

5. Paul says:

Liverpool are on their way over to Boston in July. They’re playing AS Roma at Fenway Park on July 25 with another match likely to be announced too. They’ll be training at Harvard.

6. Tayo says:

I am so excited! Landover is less than 20 minutes away from me. I will be there!

7. Trisha says:

My future son in law is a Londoner who is also Chelsea fan and he now has me addicted to the blues! Do you know when tickets will be on sale for the east coast events? We would love to go to one of these but would need a heads up to make arrangements. The game at fed ex is about 4 hours away .How can we get on a list to be notified when tickets go on sale?
    I agree

8. Trisha says:

I agree with Kearnkoff though. A chance to see any PL game should not be missed by a serious fan.

Thanks for keeping us posted on schedules!

• The Gaffer says:

No ticket news has been announced yet. Best bet is to keep checking here, the Chelsea website and the ChelseaInAmerica website.