SUN, 8:30AM ET
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

Tottenham Hotspur Confirm Dates for 2012 US Summer Tour

white hart lane Tottenham Hotspur Confirm Dates for 2012 US Summer Tour

Tottenham Hotspur today officially announced their plans for the club’s summer 2012 tour of the United States.

As we reported in January, Tottenham Hotspur will play New York Red Bulls on July 31, 2012 at the Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey. The match will be part of a New York Invitational Cup.

One week earlier, on Tuesday, July 24, 2012, Tottenham will play its opening match of their US summer tour of the United States with a friendly against LA Galaxy at the Home Depot Center in southern California.

Hopefully Tottenham Hotspur will announce additional dates. After all, flying to the United States and back is an awful long way to go just to play two friendlies.

On announcing the tour, Tottenham Hotspur Chairman Daniel Levy said: “We are delighted to be heading back to the USA ahead of the 2012-13 season. We enjoyed a successful tour in 2010 and are looking forward to the opportunity to play against the LA Galaxy and New York Red Bulls, two of the leading franchises in MLS.

“The Club is proud of its reputation for playing entertaining football and we believe this attacking style is responsible for the significant rise in the number of fans across the USA in recent years. This tour presents us with a great opportunity to give something back to those fans and also introduce new supporters to the Spurs way of playing football.”

Commenting on the announcement, Tottenham Hotspur Manager Harry Redknapp said: “The facilities will be first class and the opposition will provide a great test for the squad. We know how good the MLS sides are from two summers ago when we faced San Jose Earthquakes and New York Red Bulls. We can expect another tough encounter when we face the Red Bulls again this time.

“Playing the winners of the MLS Cup in LA Galaxy will provide a real challenge too – any team that includes proven international performers like Robbie Keane, Landon Donovan and David Beckham are sure to be top drawer.

“I have fantastic memories of America from my days playing at Seattle Sounders and, more recently, our last visit there two years ago.”

Tottenham Hotspur is not the only Premier League side touring the States this summer. Chelsea and Liverpool have made plans to tour the USA. However, Liverpool’s tour is in doubt especially if they have to play Europa League qualifiers in late July which would conflict with a US tour.

If Tottenham Hotspur does play additional friendlies on this tour, which cities should they plan in? And how many of you are planning to go see Spurs play when they play in New Jersey and California? Share your opinions in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Tottenham Hotspur. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to Tottenham Hotspur Confirm Dates for 2012 US Summer Tour

1. Andrew Puopolo says:

The ESPN article implies that Spurs will play 2 matches in New York, as part of a “New York Invitational Challenge.” Gaffer, do you have any more information on this? Thanks

• The Gaffer says:

Good point Andrew. I updated the article to mention the New York Invitational Cup. Thanks for that. I have no additional information at this time, though. It’s conceivable that the Invitational Cup could be a one match affair between both clubs, though. Or perhaps a four team tournament. We’ll have to wait and see.

2. Neil says:

Hoping Newcastle will do a summer tour, Toronto bound ideally!

• Adam says:

I think Newcastle have nixed the idea of a North American tour this Summer. Last I heard they are likely doing a preseason tour in Asia. Boo

3. Mahlon Christensen says:

Had to miss Man City last year in SF, and I think Tottenham came to San Jose 3-4 years ago? As long as an EPL team comes to Northern CA. I’ll be happy.

–Mahlon–

4. JD says:

I’d love to see Spurs in Kansas City at the fantastic Livestrong Sporting Park. Newcastle played Sporting at LSP last year and spoke very highly of the experience – outside of the mid-summer heat.

• gbewing says:

West Coast east Coast – yep why not stop right in the middle at the best soccer stadium in America Livestrong Park. I have spoken with some Sporting ticket people and they would not confirm Tottenham is possible but he told me that all EPL teams are looking at Sporting as a priority destination on tours

5. coachie ballgames says:

I used to get pumped for these summer tours but the prices have become insane. $45 is too much to peep a friendly.

• If I lived in a city with a top level local soccer team I’d have a hard time justifying the price to see a friendly with spotty top level player representation (like what Barcelona did in Miami last year) versus some of the other options for seeing soccer this year like the current Olympic qualifiers or MLS.

I’m just not sure the quality of match that these friendlies bring is worth the price charged for them – especially looking at some of what last year’s matches produced: blowouts, and games played on bad surfaces (temporary grass or baseball stadiums with bad field layouts and dirt infields).

I’m sure many of the teams won’t bring top players again given Euro 2012 and Olympics this summer.

6. Murfmensch says:

Right now, the Red Bulls are requiring I buy tickets to two other matches in order to see Tottenham. (At least it seems like that on their web site.) I really don’t want to spend $135 for one match.

I’ve never bought a ticket and then sold it. Any advice?

7. Brandon says:

Anyone looking to buy tickets should hold off until New York Spurs announces the deal they’re working out with Tottenham. Save yourself the cash. Keep your eyes on http://www.nyspurs.com

8. CTBlues says:

Looks like they are also playing Liverpool. I wonder what will happen if Liverpool can’t go on tour this summer?

• The Gaffer says:

CTBlues, can you send me a link of the info about Liverpool playing Spurs? I haven’t heard that one.

9. Jason says:

hey on espn they just hinted they would be playing liverpool in a friendly in the states. I hope that’s true

10. Geovanni says:

I’m a huge Spurs fan and it would be a dream come true to watch them play. I live about 15 minutes away from the Home Depot Center in Carson, CA. So if everything goes as planned I’ll be enjoying a great game in live view.

• miguel says:

where will hotspurs practice at???.
      names miguel. im 22
      I am a real madrid fan. n I always go see them
      when they come. I wanna see tottenham
      but idk where they will have their trainning
      sessions. I am guessing they willthanks
      train in Carson, in the small fields.
      if you can message me and hear
      from u the faster the sooner.

11. andrew rodger says:

New England Revolution is a must! andrew

12. yido says:

Spurs will play Liverpool in Baltimore seeing as how they’re going to be sponsored by Under Amour and they are based in Baltimore. Should be announced later in the week…

13. koptime23 says:

Unless they win the FA Cup, which in that case they would automatically qualify for the group stages of the Europa League if I’m not mistaken!

14. todd says:

Since Spurs’ kits will be made by Under Armour starting next season you can bet they will play a friendly here in Baltimore. The question is against who?

15. mike says:

its cool clubs do these tours but its a bunch of bullsh*t to be honest,stars don’t really play and i’m not paying to see a bunch of B players

16. Darren says:

There is a Spurs/Whitecaps connection so I would not be surprised to see them in Vancouver.

17. chelsefan says:

Will be glad if there will be a match-up of the blue blue Chelsea VS KC Sporting in Kansas City.

18. Casey bradow says:

Being from denver colorado and a huge tottenham hotspurs fan I would be willing to go as far as money and time will allow. So excited to see my boys live a once in a lifetime chance.

19. David 'Coach' Rinearson says:

I personally would love to see the Spurs at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Tx. Or even at the Cowboys Stadium (we refer to it as the ‘Death Star’). Just had Brazil and Mexico here, Come on You Spurs!