Manchester City Begins to Feel The Pressure at the Top of the Premier League

man city crest Manchester City Begins to Feel The Pressure at the Top of the Premier League

Photo by ivan03

Over the last month or so a noticeable change has become patently obvious when watching Manchester City play. Ever since their unfortunate defeat to Chelsea, where by all accounts they were terrific in the first half of that game, City to my mind have begun to play with fear, which in turn has culminated in their worst run of the season thus far. Their results have not been the form of champions, losing away to a Sunderland side still finding its feet under O’Neill was bad enough, but to only manage a scoreless draw with WBA, who have been leaking goals all season, must be a major concern to City supporters. While the other challengers have also slipped up during this period, for the squad available to City for these games, these slipups should simply not have happened.

Who’s to blame? For my money Mancini must take a large portion of culpability for their poor run of form. His changes to personnel for the Sunderland game defied logic, and some of his actions on the side-lines over recent games have left a sour taste. His attempts to get opposition players sent off have certainly painted a disturbing picture of the man’s understanding of British football. Confronting Steven Gerrard in the tunnel after their defeat to Liverpool, only serves to reemphasise the point that Mancini appears rattled. His demeanour over the last month, cries out of a man beginning to feel the heat. For any manager hoping to inspire and control his players this is certainly not the approach one would envision being the key ingredient to a forthcoming title success. While unquestionably still in the driving seat, City need to reassert the dominance they displayed with ease earlier on in the campaign, if they are to realise their aim of lifting the premier league trophy in May.

However, Mancini alone isn’t responsible for their dip in form, what of the players? Nasri a player touted as ‘’world class’’ prior to the campaign, has proved to be the flop of the season and has failed to illustrate his prowess he was bought to display. In my opinion his only motivation is money; he should take a leave out of Silva’s book and begin to work for the team. Their midfield has been an obvious disappointment since the departure of Toure to the African Cup of Nations. Barry has failed to show the leadership he should be brandishing for a player of his experience, while De Jong has been an embarrassment who incidentally was fortunate to stay on the pitch against Wigan. City need more players to show the desire and fight that only five or six of the current team seem to be displaying. What has happened to Dzeko? While he may have scored against Wigan, his overall play was atrocious and how he still warrants a place in the side still baffles me today.

To be champions you have to possess the belief and conviction, to play your football in the right manner. For so long this season City appeared to be the team that was ticking these boxes. To an extent they still do, however if they continue to perform as they have done recently, than United (even with a 37 and 38 year old), or Spurs will catch and overtake them. City need to show the qualities of a champion they profess so boldly to have, until then the theory that they are feeling the pressure will continue to grow and grow.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester City. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Manchester City Begins to Feel The Pressure at the Top of the Premier League

1. Ronan Lee says:

I’ve only begun reading but I’ve already noticed an error. It was Gerrard interrupted Mancini during an interview to confront him about something he had said in a prior interview, ok that’s cleared up l, I’ll go back to reading now.

2. x says:

I am afraid this smells of someone who does not know what they are talking about. Go back to watching the Man U flops… oh I forgot you dont mention them do you!

3. Ronan Lee says:

Ok, finished reading now and I’m sorry but the bulk of this piece is frankly nonsense. You are aware that City are top of the form table in the PL, are you? Nasri created a number of chances in that game against Wigan, his passing and possession stats are up there with the best, he is lightweight in the tackle but this was always a problem with him at Arsenal too, he is currently 2nd only to Silva in the PL assists table. You obviously don’t watch City all that often and I’d also question whether you watched that game against Wigan given your opinion on Dzeko. You are baffled that he warrants a place in the side? If you’d been watching you’d have noticed that he has been playing second fiddle to Aguero and Balotelli lately. The majority also gave Dzeko man of the match against Wigan so it baffles me how you could be of that opinion.

4. Why? says:

Hmmm slightly bias to say the least LOL! I couldn’t possibly address all you have said as there is so much clearly wrong which has given me the opinion of you being totally bias and not having a clue.

1, ‘City to my mind have begun to play with fear, which in turn has culminated in their worst run of the season thus far. Their results have not been the form of champions,’

The team that takes more points than the others have the form of champions Utd and Spurs have taken less!!! City are the premier leagues top team and form team ahead of both Utd and Spurs and all this without key players and including games against both Arsenal and Liverpool in the last six both won, add this to the fact that Utd in the last 6 they played 4 against the relegation favourites, a much struggling Fulham add the fact the only decent side they played was Newcastle who embarrassed them and they still couldn’t get more points than City is that the form of Champions? LOL. So I’m sure you can see how stupid this statement was!

2, ‘Who’s to blame? For my money Mancini’

Well I’ve done what the press do here (taking word and putting then in another context) but above is right Mancini is the reason City are not only top of the league but the top scorers and best defenders in it to boot so if we go off my quote from you then you are right but in reality you’re wrong again as this isn’t what you said is it.

3, ‘Nasri a player touted as ‘’world class’’ prior to the campaign, has proved to be the flop of the season and has failed to illustrate his prowess he was bought to display.’

Wow I thought this kind of rubbish was the domain of a certain North London clubs fans. As somebody has already pointed out he is second only to Silva and no he is nowhere near as good as Silva but then again who in the EPL is? So you might think of looking who you are getting your info from cos it certainly isn’t city fans and they are the ones who would know. He’s done OK he could do better but so could anybody after he has fully bedded I think he’ll score a few more which is all he’s lacking at the min assist wise he’s doing well and he works well. So I have to say wrong again

4, ‘De Jong has been an embarrassment who incidentally was fortunate to stay on the pitch against Wigan.’

He has made something like 5 starts all season and 3 or so subs appearances to run a game or two down and from this you deduce he’s an embarrassment? Hmmm I think a good look in the mirror is required here as it may be what you say that’s an embarrassment!! ‘Fortunate to stay on the pitch’ what in the way that City players who slide tackle should be sent off and other shouldn‘t or don‘t? This is the new City rule as since Kompany there have been 12 or 15 mostly worse (according to pundits and ex refs not me) most didn’t even warrant a yellow! Are you Chris Foy in disguise????

4, ‘What has happened to Dzeko? While he may have scored against Wigan, his overall play was atrocious and how he still warrants a place in the side still baffles me today.’

How you can think you know about football and write this guff baffles me! Sky gave the MOTM to Hart for 1 save that could have made all the difference according to Mr Neville otherwise he’d have given it to Dzeko as would I! You should really watch a game you’re going to write about or learn about football as most of the British media also gave Dzeko the MOTM. Wow what are you like, BITTER not much LMFAO!!

I could go on and on but I think this is enough to show how totally bias and wide of the mark you are you are!
    It’s just an attack with zero substance.

5. PaulfromMiami says:

i cannot believe Mancini is complaining about not having enough players. United has more injuries than City and they dont complain.

• The Gaffer says:

I agree Paul. It’d be nice to see Mancini give some of the youngsters a chance in Premier League matches, to give them the experience they need.

6. Christian says:

Sorry, I had to stop with the ‘City are playing with fear’ line. I watch every City match and don’t believe they play with any fear whatsoever. Their play is going to close down to a large degree because our midfield is in shambles right now. Losing Yaya Toure is a huge loss. He’s my favorite City player and his pace is what drives the club. Silva and Toure have formed a deadly force for City but one without the other leads to the team slowing down.

I really wonder why we must constantly have these City can’t stand the pressure stories. It’s January. They’ve had a brilliant season so far and have had to because United are playing outstanding. Tevez walks out on the team, Nasri is a flop to this point, Dzeko is hot or cold (mostly cold) and still we sit at the top of the table. I think a lot credit should be given for what’s been accomplished to this point. The future is bright at City regardless of what happens this season. I thought Chelsea would win the table this year and City would continue to reinforce and learn what it takes to be champions this year so I’m delighted at the results to this point. Let’s all learn to relax.

7. Wiser_than_Wise says:

Have they started to feel the heat? Yes. Has the ship started rocking? Yes. Are they sunk? Hell no. To suggest that City won’t be able to maintain their title charge is sheer lunacy; they’ve been the best team this season bar none.

“To be champions you have to possess the belief and conviction”
    Then surely you’re not suggesting that United or Sp*rs are? I echo the sentiment above in that what’s been achieved so far is impressive, even considering what cash buys you (I’m a CFC fan btw).

This weekend’s fixtures will have a huge say in the direction of the top teams and even then this season has been so ridiculous, that it may mean absolutely nothing short-term.

8. evan says:

City are top of the league and top of the form table.

Playing with fear? Not a chance.

9. Thomas says:

It’s a long season..Has any team ever run though the season chalking up 5-0 wins the whole way though? Some days luck just isn’t on your side.

I’m not a City supporter, but their top of the table, absolutely thrashed United earlier this season, thrashed Tottenham. Even their last run out against United in the FA Cup, they played a great game and were down to 10 men for almost 80 minutes.

I wouldn’t write them off just for a bad patch of games in the most congested period of the season. To come out still leading the table is pretty solid.

A lot of corners of the media seem to paint any City success with a brush of cynicism, where no matter what they were doing, it would not be deemed good enough. We get it, they are easy to hate, but come on.