Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Suarez and Terry: When What Happens Off The Pitch Trumps What Happens On It

suarez terry Suarez and Terry: When What Happens Off The Pitch Trumps What Happens On It

It’s a sad reflection on the state of football and humanity when racism charges trump football. I do not condone racism, but the media frenzy regarding the charges The FA has made against Luis Suarez, followed by the news that John Terry will be charged for the alleged racist comments made in a recent match, is out of control. In a mid-week when we saw two of the most entertaining Premier League matches of the season (Wolves against Norwich, and Newcastle against West Bromwich Albion), it’s a shame that they were largely ignored by the football public.

In my opinion, we need to pause for a minute and realize where these cases stand. John Terry is innocent until proven guilty, and his court case isn’t until February. The way that some football fans have been reacting to the news regarding Terry’s upcoming court case is one that harbors on a personal satisfaction in seeing this man’s name dragged through the mud. I know part of it is football banter (supporters wanting players of opposing teams to fail), but let’s wait until he receives his sentence before pontificating on whether he’s “scum” (or not), shall we?

The same applies to the Suarez case. None of the evidence or reasoning for the findings has been made public, so I think it would be appropriate for us to wait until the evidence is shared before deconstructing whether the punishment matches the crime. Plus, we will need to wait to hear how the appeals process goes to see if the charge is reduced by The FA.

While I appreciate that racism should not be swept under the carpet and should be dealt with severely, these two stories show that what happens off the pitch is now at a point where it’s more important than what happens on it. Premier League football has become secondary unless it’s a match involving the “Sky Six.”

I realize that this article, in itself, is part of the problem, talking about the Suarez and Terry stories instead of rambling on about how wonderful some of the midweek matches were, but I want to express my feelings regarding these controversial stories. Even the EPL Talk Podcast went into length regarding the topic, but based on the nature of the show (i.e. analyzing and discussing the week’s news), it would have been extremely peculiar (and disrespectful) if the podcast hosts had ignored the topic entirely.

This entry was posted in Chelsea, Leagues: EPL, Liverpool. Bookmark the permalink.

68 Responses to Suarez and Terry: When What Happens Off The Pitch Trumps What Happens On It

1. FCAsheville says:

Blatant video evidence of Terry saying offensive remarks in reference to color and I’d wager he walks and still holds the arm band for England.

Misunderstanding with Evra, who has made other ridiculous claims in the past, and Suarez will eventually be run out of England.

FFS it’s a joke!!

• Fernando says:

Blatant video evidence? The Sky footage is totally inconclusive. If the press is to be believed a new development was made before the CPS charged Terry. Let’s also remember Anton Ferdinand or anyone else saw/heard Terry say the comment on the pitch.

With Suarez it seems he said something to Evra which in Uruguay is socially acceptable since they have a miniscule black population. The excuse that it’s a cultural misunderstanding is ridiculous, Suarez is a grown man who should know better.

Neither Suarez and Terry are racist if they are both gulity. Until then they are innocent and whether you think they’re good people or not has nothing to do with these specific cases but everything to do with anyone’s rush to judgement.

• Fernando says:

*Let’s also remember Anton Ferdinand or anyone else did not see/hear Terry say the comments on the pitch.

• FCAsheville says:

I guess that ManU’s players use the same term is not worth considering? I guess that Patrice Evra speaks Spanish and knows this is not offensive is not an issue? Evra knows he blew this out of proportion with the help of ol’ Whiskey Nose at that’s the root of the problem!

Terry – “Black c***”
        Suarez – “Porque Negrito?”

Keep telling yourself Suarez, who is part African, is the racist one

• Dave C says:

He claims it is socially acceptable in Uruguay because it just is*, NOT because Uruguay has a “miniscule black population” – the black population of Uruguay is about the same percentage as in England. The relative size of the population has nothing to do with it.

*thisis true of a lot of S.America – there’s generally not really a taboo about calling people negrito or moreno, as no one considers it offensive on its own. Although like any word, it can be used spitefully depending on tone/context.

2. Gary says:

Suarez is accused of saying something that apperently is offensive in England but not in South America. Many in the media have accused Liverpool of not educating him about what’s acceptable and what isn’t in England. Anyway, he got a 8 match ban.

Terry who is English and knows what is and isn’t acceptable is being charged for an offense that will most probably get him a fine at best. The FA won’t do anything as it is in the hands of the police. Will the FA act once the police case ends? Who knows.

The FA has little credibility given that they appealed Rooney’s ban even though they know his reputation as a serial offender.

I agree with the earlier post that Suarez will most likely be run out of England not just by what the FA did but also the abuse he will now face from opposition fans.

Terry will pay his fine and end up with the captain’s armband at the Euros.

3. Jose H. says:

If Ferdinand didn’t hear the comments, then why is he willing to testify against terry in court?

If Terry walks away without at least what Suarez got, then that would show the fa’s bias against non-english players.

4. Bishopville Red says:

Gaffer, you are right.

This article is, in itself the problem if for no other reason than it allows a bunch of blow-hard know-nots to chime in and make illogical, painfully biased statements that do nothing to help move any cause forward. A bunch of blow hards blowing hard.

Gaffer, time to do us a favour and just sit on this stuff for a while.

• The Gaffer says:

Good point. It’s a tricky one because I wanted to get my thoughts off my chest and share them with the readers, but it also publicizes the cases at the same time.

I’ve purposefully stayed away from the topics, for the most part, and will continue to do so until the findings are revealed and the court makes its decision.

• Phenoum says:

“but let’s wait until he receives his sentence before pontificating on whether he’s “scum” (or not), shall we? ”

hrm – nope – already knew that was true a loooong time ago :D

• Clampdown says:

and there you are, chiming in!

5. Lee says:

All things considered, i do believe that the FA is dealing with this much better than the Italian league has. All they do is slap them on the wrist. It’s a step in the right direction at least. In the heat of the moment people make mistakes and say things they really don’t mean to get into each others head. But as professionals, they need to remember they are being watched the world over. It’s something they have to keep in mind now. I do not think either of them are racist. I just think both Ferdinand and Evra were upset that they were called out due to their skin color.

When i lived in Brazil I earned a lot of terms for white boy. It was offensive to me because they were calling me out because i looked different, but to them it was completely acceptable. I got over it and did not care after a bit.

I just can’t wait until this is all over with and we can start focusing on the game again.

6. Peter says:

England is a peculiar country. All countries are peculiar, of course, but each in their own way.

I have been truly astounded by the demagoguery of so many English journalists who claim a) that racism can somehow be eradicated once and for all and b) that soccer will accomplish this. Consider this snippet from David Maddock’s recent column in the Mirror:

“Racism is one of the great evils in our society, and it can not be allowed to continue into the 21st century. Football has a major part to play in eradicating vile, ignorant prejudice; should in fact be taking a leading role in the fight against it.”

The fact that racism is vile and ignorant doesn’t mean that soccer will play any great role in our efforts to manage it, and of course nothing soccer does will ever contribute to its eradication because it cannot be eradicated. Is the irony completely lost of these journalists when they seek to position England as the most righteous country in the world and paint others as racist – is this not a form of prejudice? Here’s Oliver Holt from the Mirror:

“And there is no denying that it will be uncomfortable having an England captain facing these kind of charges, possibly even at a major tournament in countries like Poland and Ukraine which have their own troubled history of struggling with racial extremists.”

What makes England peculiar, in this case, is its grandiosity. England is not the least racism nation on the planet, however much it might wish to be. If you choose to send someone to trial for name calling, that’s your business – but don’t kid yourself that you’re leading the world in the fight against racism, much less saving the world from racism. If anything, your words simply underscore your own national anxieties. And by ratcheting up the righteousness, I can only imagine that things will get harder for everyone – John Terry and Anton Ferdinand alike, who’s bound to become an object of even more intense scorn among certain troubled individuals as the stakes are raised.

It will, of course, be hilarious – at least from these shores – to watch what happens when England is bounced out of the Euros after Terry has been (inevitably?) banished from the national team. Then England will resort to its other peculiar habit of self-loathing. They’re connected, after all, aren’t they? Deep pride and deep embarrassment seem to go together.

If only you could settle down, get things in perspective, and move on.

7. Norman says:

Looks like the England kit sponsors have already dropped Terry as captain from their ads which now show Gerard with the armband. Interesting.

As for the Suarez case, this is what the FA has said about the findings:

1.Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1);
    2.the insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2);
    3.Mr Suarez shall be warned as to his future conduct, be suspended for eight matches covering all first team competitive matches and fined the sum of £40,000;
    4.the [penalty] is suspended pending the outcome of any appeal lodged by Mr Suarez against this decision.

Unfortunately there is nothing specific about what was actually said by Suarez to form an informed opinion on the case. We will have to wait till we get the specifics from the FA. Why the FA still hasn’t published the specifics is baffling. One would think that they would be able to provide their evidence and decision at the same time.

In light of what has happened in the Suarez case it will be interesting to see how the Terry case unfolds. Since it is a police matter this will not be done quickly and could take many months before it is finally settled.

Perhaps the most interesting thing about these two cases is that people who know both men say they are anything but racists. Suarez himself has a black grandfather and everyone that has played with him in England, Holland and Uruguay have backed him from being called a racist. Terry also has his backers. Chris Kamara , who is Black and who writes for Sky Sports has said he is a good friend of Terry’s and says Terry is not a racist.

Unfortunately both players are going to find it very difficult to shake off these charges as the fans are going to be relentless in their verbal abuse towards them. We saw yesterday at Wigan how bad things got for Suarez and it did affect him. His manager has called for the FA to monitor such fan abuse. I don’t think it will make a difference.

8. CTBlues says:

If JT is found innocent of these charges I hope he goes after these “news” writers for slander.

9. Chris says:

As a Liverpool fan, I’m obviously going to try harder to see things from Suarez’s side of things than I will for Terry, who I happen to think is a first class a__hole. I can completely understand that one of Suarez’s tactics is to get under the skin of the defenders that he’s battling — it’s extremely evident, and honestly, if I were a fan of another team, I’d probably have a few harsh words for his style of play. If the Liverpool statement is to be believed, Evra has admitted to responding with comments — in Spanish — that were equally abusive and offensive. I also have read that Evra has a history of making false accusations. I don’t think you completely say it is just my personal bias leading me to conclude that it is probably a case of Evra being frustrated by a player that was giving him fits and decided to lash out. Once he had done so, he couldn’t very well retract the accusation given the serious nature of what he claimed. I do think Suarez’s defense has some merit, but ultimately isn’t an excuse for using offensive language towards Evra. But I don’t know that I think he racially abused Evra, and I think the 8 match ban is far too heavy of a punishment.

I completely agree with your comment that we really need to see the FA’s evidence before we really cry foul. That the FA presented their delayed ruling without providing any evidence to support it puts their credibility on the matter squarely in question, but until the evidence is made public, we can’t be sure.

• Fernando says:

This is Evra’s first complaint to the FA. So if he has a history of lying then it’s never been on an official complaint.

• Duck says:

Evra has twice complained to the FA of racism and served a 4 match ban himself for falsely accusing someone before. He also tried to play the race card with Marriner telling him “you’re only booking me because I’m black”

• Mufc77 says:

Please feel free to post links to when Evra was banned 4 games for falsely accusing someone of being racist because that is the first time I’ve heard of this.

• Fernando says:

@Duck

Not only are you not correct on complaining to the FA you are outright lying about Evra serving a 4 game ban. You’re an idiot.

• Fernando says:

He served a four game ban for improper conduct not for lying about a racism charge.
          Get your facts straight Ducky. Quack off now.

• Gaz says:

Improper conduct = lying about racist remarks.

“A Blues statement read: “Chelsea would like to thank the Football Association for their decision that there was no racist element involved in the incident between Patrice Evra and Sam Bethell, a member of the Chelsea ground staff.

“Chelsea always strenuously denied the racist allegation and that position has been totally vindicated by the FA.”

Evra was fined £15,000 in addition to his suspension, and it is the ban which will disturb Ferguson more.”

10. old33 says:

One thing that I’m sick of is reading stuff like this about Terry and Suarez. As a diehard Reds fan, I don’t know what makes me angrier, reading about Suarez’s behavior, comments, etc., or him not finishing as much as we need at this point. Even though he has been a great buy, we still need more and he, in my opinion, has not risen to that point yet to carry us like I had hoped. Is it possible that he can ever make it through a season without biting anyone, saying anything offensive, or making offensive gestures. I feel like I’m asking my 5 year old, “Can you just play nice with others?”

As for Terry, he has never been a saint. What stings me the most is that I was talking to a person at the Heathrow hotel in the link below who was there and what he did was one of the most insensitive things a person can do to anyone. It seemed to pave the way for his behavior. Ultimately this new incident doesn’t surprise me and as much as I hope that he is innocent, I doubt he is due to his past.

• Paul says:

He was never bought to ‘carry us’! He was bought to create chances and set the ball up… something he does to perfection already! We’re in serious need of a proven striker if we’ve got any chance of making the top 4 this season so I bloody hope Kenny goes shopping in the January transfer window!!

11. Pete says:

England has probably gone further than any other country in Europe to stop racism in football. I’d like to see what Evra and Ferdinand would make of England if they played in the times of John Barnes and Cyrille Regis.

John Barnes used to get hit with bananas on a weekly basis. To his credit though, he let his football do the talking and became a huge hit with the English people.

Racism is a problem in England but far less than anywhere else in Europe which is actually why cases like this are given so much attention.

My problem is that we seem to be very quick to judge people nowadays, the concept of ‘innocent until proven guilty’ is drifting out of the window and that is dangerous for everyone in my eyes.

• Mufc77 says:

I agree the abuse John Barnes and Mark Walters used to get in the 80s from fans was absoulely shocking. What makes these two cases so bad is the abuse came from fellow players.

12. jason says:

This is totally off topic, but with Arsenal v Wolves being cancelled and moved to Tuesday, will the game still be televised on FSC? I can’t seem to find that information anywhere around the world wide web.

13. MNUfan1991 says:

This Suarez not knowing the English culture excuse is utter bollocks. FA didn’t convict him of being racist. He was convicted of using racist phrases, which is beyond debate. This is not Uruguay or Spain where this sort of behavior is apparently acceptable (Google Lewis Hamilton + banana for the latter)… try bringing in an ounce of coke into Singapore and see if the “it’s only a minor offence where I came from” argument works with the executioner. Accept the charge, do your time, and move on.
    I could not care less whether Suarez is racist. He is one of the dirtiest players in the EPL. I will root for whichever team he plays against… OK except FC Abu Dhabi.
    I used to have huge respect for LFC–it’s a proper footballing institution that deserves to be a rival of United and I actually pitied them last year when they were in the relegation zone. Now? Forget it. I hope you lot end up in Blue Square Premier.

• Mufc77 says:

It’s ok they won’t miss Suarez they still have that 35 million pound cabbage as back up.

• Reba says:

“He was convicted of using racist phrases, which is beyond debate.”

Wow. So…you’ve read the FA’s report and seen the evidence, have you? No actually I don’t think you have, because it hasn’t been released. NONE OF US HAVE SEEN THE EVIDENCE. NONE US KNOW WHAT WAS ACTUALLY SAID.

If it is true that the term he used was “negrito” then whether or not it is racist is TOTALLY up for debate. It has absolutely no negative connotations in South America, but unfortunately, it begins with an “n” and we English speakers (on both sides of The Pond) don’t like to concern our with nuances or cultural understanding.

Racism is a terrible thing, but so is condemning an innocent man.

• MNUfan1991 says:

Ahem… from the FA ruling:
        “Mr Suarez used insulting words towards Mr Evra during the match contrary to FA Rule E3(1); “The insulting words used by Mr Suarez included a reference to Mr Evra’s colour within the meaning of Rule E3(2)”

Until the verdict is overturned, Suarez is guilty until proven innocent.
        Any questions?

• Reba says:

No, honey. That’s the RULING. That’s not their REPORT. That’s not where they layout the reasoning behind their ruling and the evidence against Suarez. That’s still to come.

• MNUfan1991 says:

You cannot be serious. If calling your opponent “little black man” (negro = black, “ito” = little man/boy. Simples) is not racist in the UK/US, I don’t know what is.
            Words cannot describe how little I care about its connotation in Uruguay or South America. Being a Holocaust denier is not illegal in the US. Try doing that in Germany!

• Pete says:

Well ‘black’ is the accepted term in England, we don’t have any of that African American rubbish. So I suppose it would be accepted.
            You could certainly call someone little pri*ck, little cun*, little fu*k and so on, that would happen in every football match at pretty much every age group throughout the country. Therefore if little black man was used I fail to see how that would be racist.

Maybe the two together is the difference, probably should just called him a little cu*t if he had a problem with him and left the ‘black’ out

• Clampdown says:

Too many prawn sandwiches. He can’t think straight.

• MNUfan1991 says:

Re: Clamps:
            Captain Keane served some superb sandwiches indeed. Thank you very much.

• Paul says:

I would LOVE to read a post from somebody on a site like this and find it unbiased. I’d love for a Man U fan (or somebody from any club!) to show that they’re not a small minded fool but unfortunately it’s not happened this time!

The simple fact is that Suarez did use that word and that’s been acknowledged. He claims it wasn’t used in a racist way – and to a certain degree you’ve got no choice but to back that after Evra and the FA both say Suarez is NOT racist. The only thing that should have happened here is for him to have been handed a couple of match bans as a way of saying using ANY word like that is not acceptable. That would have set a precedent but as we all know, the FA are a joke so they’ll always do whatever they feel like at the time.
      The report on this case should have been ready for release the moment the ruling was announced. The fact it’s still not ready shows that it’s not as clear cut as what you’d think… Dodgy to say the least!

14. Harry says:

The FA has taken a lot of heat in the way they have handled the Suarez case. Some have suggested that they are waiting to see how people raect to their ruling before writing their report, which if true is absolutely shocking. It’s been reported that the FA has a habit of doing this. As bad as the charges are against Suarez and he has come off as a villain, the FA hasn’t helped their cause by their delay in providing their full report.

15. Pete says:

I suppose the irony of this case is the fact that England is far more of a racist country outside of football now than is was 15 yrs ago. That could be blamed on the last government who had an open door attitude to immigration for 13 yrs. The numbers of people that have come to the country in the last 20 yrs has gone through the roof and that creates resentment with the indigenous population.
    House prices have shot up
    Benefit payouts have shot up
    crime has shot up.
    Wages have pretty much stayed the same
    People also get angry because they perceive that the only racism that is swept under the carpet these days is the non-white racism against the white population. People feel that the law relating to racism only works one way. The left wing BBC and Guardian do not help with this attitude as a white attack on a black person would be reported as a racist attack whether it was or wasn’t but a black on white attack would never be reported as racist, it would just be reported as an attack. These double standards do not help the problem of racism, if anything they make it worse.
    Racism in Football has certainly gone down despite these two cases but in contrast, racism outside of football has gone through the roof and it would not surprise me if the next riot we see in the country is some kind of race war

• Paul says:

Are you being serious?! That’s the biggest load of rubbish I’ve read in a long time! I’m deeply offended by the fact you’ve just said “England is far more of a racist country outside of football now than is was 15 yrs ago”. You base that absurd comment on what?! I think you’ll find the BNP has a minor following and over the past 15 years this country has come on dramatically. House prices have shot up, benefits have shot up… take a look around the world mate everybody is up sh*t creek, it’s not just ‘racist England’ as seems to be your mentality!

Any people reading from outside England (Ireland, Scotland or Wales for that matter!) please note that we are not racist and racism has not got worse in the past 15 years as this fool states!

• Pete says:

I base it on the fact that immigration was the number 1 issue on politicians minds in the last election. There were a number of programmes on the subject. Now to say ‘Racism’ might be going a bit too far but there was and is clearly an anti immigration feeling in this country and if you are not aware of that then you’ve got your head in the sand.
        Why do you think Cameron has slashed the immigration numbers? Why has is made it so spouses who marry a British citizen must speak English before even setting foot in the country? Why has he come down hard on sham marriages and bogus colleges?
        He’s not done the above for the fun of it he’s done because the public including myself were sick of the open border attitude of Labour, people coming to the country when they can’t speak a word of English, how do they expect to get a job or even fill in a job application?

So whether it’s racist or just common sense, I’ll let the left decide. Why mention the BNP and their minority following when a whole new group called the EDL has popped up in the last 15 yrs? And as for you being ‘deeply offended’ get a fu*king grip and stop being such a maggot

• Paul says:

The only anti immigration feeling in this country comes from small minded idiots like you. ‘The public… and yourself’ who were sick of people coming into this country when they can’t speak a word of English… don’t speak garbage mate. I’m sick of hearing people go on about ‘immigrants’ ‘stealing our jobs’ and all the usual rubbish! Go take a look in your town centre or somewhere like that and you’ll find enough of ‘your own’ people sitting with a bottle of white lighting in their hand not giving a toss and waiting for their next handout from the government or worse still bugging passers by for spare change for ‘a cup of tea’. People might have come into this country but some of them (admittedly not all!) are a damn sight more hard working than the British scum already here clogging up the benefits system. British people don’t learn a word of another language when they go off on their holidays, yet they expect the local population to understand every word of THEIR language. Selfish!

I have every right to be ‘deeply offended’ when I live in a country with narrow minded people you who are no better than the Conservative government! The fact you end your statement by telling me to ‘get a f**king grip and stop being such a maggot’ shows exactly what your mentality is. It ain’t big and it certainly doesn’t show you in a decent light mate. We can all chuck swear words and insults around but I’d rather have an intelligent debate.

• Pete says:

So your argument is ‘British people don’t learn a word of another language when they go off on their holidays’. That pretty much sums up the stupidity of the left
            I fail to see what going to Spain, Italy or France for two weeks has to do with moving to England to set up home. Immigrants who come to England aren’t here for a holiday they are here live permanently.
            How are they suppose to get a job when they don’t speak English? You haven’t answered the question? They are always going to end up on benefits if they can’t speak the language and therefore are nothing more than a drain on the tax payer. Yes, some immigration is good, the skilled immigration, the people who can speak the language and can do high skilled jobs but most of the immigration is worthless, unskilled people who don’t speak English coming to a country where we already have 3 million unemployed.

Now you may think stamping out the latter type of immigration ‘small minded’ or ‘narrow minded’. I call it common sense, something people like you and the Labour/liberal party seem to have a lack of. It also seems that the country is in agreement with me because the party who were happy with the situation has been kicked out, your party.

As for having an intelligent debate, how can I have an intelligent debate with someone who supports mass, uncontrolled immigration to a small island that’s already over populated and already has 3 million unemployed? The two don’t go together

16. Big G says:

As an American citizen and relatively new to the wonderful game played in the Premier league it was with surprise when I learned of the rather large campaign against racist remarks at sporting events. It was also a surprise how differently we treat speech, free speech. Racism is of course still alive and well in the U.S. but less so in sports mainly because the players are teammates and therefore spend time with each other. The dehumanization tends to become irrelevant when sport allows for striving together for a common goal. This is especially true in American football and basketball between teammates. As for fans… my experience (not personal) tells me that one is likely to get beat up by surrounding fans if racist remarks are blurted out loud.

In the US a player would be shunned and lose all the respect of teammates and the endorsements would end. But there are no government rules banning racist speech in most cases. Many announcers have been fired for off air comments and one player I can remember in baseball (John Rocker} found it very difficult to play after a racist rant that basically ended his career. But the government and sports leagues basically stayed out of it. I was also very surprised when visiting England that they HAD a problem with fans yelling racist comments at players.

Which brings to a question: If Terry and Suarez did indeed make racist remarks it astounds me that their teammates (of color and otherwise) would not take care of business? (beat the daylights out of them?) One can insult an opponent’s mother, but not color, its an unwritten rule. And one can only insult color if one is of the same color. Yet another unwritten rule.

• Pete says:

As far as fans go, they are mostly white and therefore would not beat each other for saying something racist, they might be told to STFU or be reported to a steward who would throw them out.
      On the whole though I would say that fans don’t tend to say anything racist towards black players while in the stadium, despite being 99.5% white. Well I have never heard anyone ever say anything and have attended quite a few games in my time.

I would presume that fellow players would not always hear the racism being said and even if they did, they would still refrain from violence on the pitch and in front of cameras for fear of being locked up for grievous bodily harm or actual bodily harm, two English laws relating to violence.

As far as free speech goes, we don’t really have a constitution like you guys in America and therefore do not have an automatic right to free speech, our laws are made up as we go with some being added and others taken away over time. On the whole though you do have free speech but not when it comes to racial or religious hatred, (Racial and Religious Hatred Act 2006)

Under the above Act you could be fined or even imprisoned if found guilty, I would presume it would have to pretty bad and be a 2nd or 3rd offence to end you up in prison. If Terry is found guilty I would expect no more than a fine for what he said and the fact it is the first time. Plus he will no doubt have the best lawyer money can buy.

• FCAsheville says:

John Rocker’s career ended because he sucked AND everyone hated him. His idiotic remarks just gave everyone and excuse to jump on him.

Everyone (including Evra) know’s Suarez’s remarks were meant without malice and he’s very popular amongst his teammates and other players.

• Big G says:

Rocker clearly went down hill after his tirade. One does not make it to the major leagues by sucking. He was a pretty good pitcher. In fact he was good enough to get a second chance. When the head leaves the body as a pitcher its over though. It may have been that hitters caught on to Rocker and he was to weak-minded to cope.

And this brings up another point I think I heard in one of the podcasts. It was mentioned that the player that Terry allegedly berated has not been playing well since the incident. I took it to mean the incident has effected his play. This is an interesting assertion. Most professional sports require very tough minded individuals. I have noticed that Terry gets booed at various stadiums almost every time he touches the ball. It does not seem to bother him.

17. Big G says:

That act only comes into play if a crime is committed based on racism or religion. No one was murdered or beat up because of color or religion in these sports situations. No property was damaged based on racism or religion. I am not trying to declare the US racism free by any stretch. Its just not a big enough problem in sports that the leagues make concerted efforts to try and stop it. So my surprise about this. I have been to two PL games in England and heard nothing except “fooking”.
    I will say I very much enjoyed the games and felt really close to the action. Very different from American football where one needs a telescope to see play, even at High School games. The stadiums built to get the fans close to the pitch are fantastic in England.

• Pete says:

You don’t need to beat anyone up under the Act, it is enough to say stuff in public or stand around with a racist sign in public or post a racist video on the internet. We have other laws for violence.

It wasn’t really bought in for sports, it was more for people on the street with racist signs or religious hatred signs. That kind of thing causes a lot of hassle and the police and government wanted a law to be able to arrest people for it. I suppose it is just being applied to football in this case, If John Terry says that or worse with friends at home, the law does not apply, but once you’re in public and especially on TV then throwing N Bombs or screaming about how you hate this religion or that religion will be enough to land you in hot water.

There’s nothing wrong with standing on the field and calling a player a fu*king c*nt no matter what religion or colour that person is but the moment a person’s race or religion is mentioned then you may have to pay a price.

18. TaylorD. says:

one mans word against another???

no proof at all

19. Peter says:

Name calling is one thing. Racism is another, whether we’re talking about Suarez or Terry. If England wants to eat its own, that’s its choice. But did anyone happen to see the photos of Terry’s recent birthday celebration? Take a look online, see who was celebrating with him and tell me he’s a racist. Meanwhile, let’s all lighten up. Here’s something that ought to put all the piety in bit of perspective.

20. Peter says:

The actions of the FA are very disturbing. They have passed verdict on Suarez yet are not willing to provide any written evidence to support their verdict. It has been reported that their written report won’t be out till mid-January. That is absolutely shocking. How is Liverpool supposed to make a decision about an appeal if they are not told exactly what the evidence against Suarez is that led to the verdict.

Racism is bad and should be stomped out whenever necessary but the manner of the FA’s conduct is equally deplorable. I doubt very much if such an act by a sport’s governing body would be tolerated in this country. To tell someone “you’re guilty but we’ll tell you a month from now what the evidence against you is” is absolutely disgraceful.

21. jtm371 says:

why Saurez has not been disciplined for flipping the bird at Fulham is beyond me.do we have to wait for a report to tell us what we saw with our own eyes.i think the t-shirt deal will get him another match or two if the appeal is denied.

• jtm371 says:

Suarez not Saurez my mistake

• Paul says:

So the fans are able to taunt and take the p*ss out of a player and they’re not allowed to show emotion back? If however many thousand people were ganging up on me then I wouldn’t think twice about doing the slightest thing by flipping a finger at them! Take however much money he gets paid out of the equation… let’s remember that he’s just human like the rest of us. He goes out onto the pitch to do his job; play football. It’s not in his contract that he should put up with abuse from rival fans beyond the usual banter which you should expect. To be taunted to the level people are using against him at the moment is just wrong. I wouldn’t expect any player from any team to be subjected to abuse like that from fans. If it was a player from your team you’d soon think differently. Give him a break.

As for the t-shirts worn by the Liverpool players and manager… you’re no better than the FA in your thinking that it will get him even more matches added to his ban. They did nothing but show support and team moral for a player who they firmly believe not to be racist. Evra doesn’t think he’s a racist. The FA themselves don’t believe him to be a racist. This whole thing has been blown up beyond all proportion and all non Liverpool fans are taking the chance to jump on the bandwagon.

22. Ridgemore says:

Sir Alex says Dalglish and Liverpool should shut up and accept the ban. John Terry and Luis Suarez are really decent guys just ask Wayne Bridge and Otman Bakkal:

From Otman Bakkal to Ghana: How trouble followed Suarez, the Cannibal of Amsterdam

Wayne Bridge still isn’t shaking John Terry’s hand:

23. harry cee says:

Say it ain’t so Luis!!!!!

Suarez BANNED and FINED after hand gesture during game.

His credibility is shrinking!!!

24. blowfeld says:

Pathetic how the FA uses and fueles these “controversies” as propaganda for the league. It seems the quality on the pitch isn’t good enough and that they actually think any publicity is good publicity.