SAT, 7AM ET
NEW
CRY
SAT, 10AM ET
QPR
SUN

Helpful Advice For New Soccer Fans Searching For an EPL Team to Support

man united fans1 Helpful Advice For New Soccer Fans Searching For an EPL Team to Support

Right now, I am a dyed in the wool football supporter’s worst nightmare. I am new fan. Yes, I like Manchester United. And you know who has a problem with that? Some of the longtime supporters of MUFC and the fans of all of the other teams who want fans to come support them.

Some are wondering if I know that it’s an insult to say Man U, if I know anything about the Busby Babes, if I know when Man United won the Treble and against whom, and who coached the team before Sir Alex Ferguson.

Why is that? Because regardless of what sport you follow, you hate to have it ruined by potential bandwagoners, fair weather fans and posers. And to all of you out there who fall into one of those above categories, believe it or not, I totally understand!

I can safely say that I know some answers but I’m still learning others. Given time, I will know.

Let me give you a bit of history. I am from Baltimore, Maryland. I am one of those who remember the night the Baltimore Colts left for Indiana. A lot of us were angry and hurt that it had come under such bad circumstances. Some of the fans here were left with choices: follow the team to a new city, follow other local teams (Steelers, Redskins and Eagles being those choices), find a completely new team to follow or follow none at all. Less than two decades later, we got a new team (some still say it was under similarly questionable circumstances) in the Baltimore Ravens. Our new team has proven to be one of the most resilient teams in their short tenure, even winning the Super Bowl once and as time passes and our team gets better year in and year out, along with us now having one of the hugest rivalries in the NFL, our fanbase continues to grow.

So, what does that have to do with me being a Man United fan? Read my last sentence. It has everything to do with new fans coming into any sport. Everyone loves a winner. But it’s difficult to distinguish new fans from those clambering aboard the bandwagon and justifiably, as some MUFC supporters would probably look at me with a side eye, I do the same with new Ravens fans. It bothers me if you don’t know who Tony Siragusa and Jonathan Ogden are. It bothers me if you don’t know why we have a big rivalry with the Cleveland Browns along with that team in Indianapolis. And if you are just a passing through fan who doesn’t know what schools Joe Flacco and Ray Rice were drafted from, we may not have much of a conversation.

But why are long time fans like that with new fans?

It simply has to do with the idea that there are some fans that were around when the teams were young and struggling, at a time when very few outside of that region even knew of that team’s existence. As time wore on, these teams got better and as they did they attracted followers and as some chose to stay on, others got off. It’s just how fandom is.

But it’s nothing worse than being a part of a sporting culture. Your team is winning and the moment they win big, you see people who never before were fans start sporting a teams colors. A good example of this was when the New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl a few years back. All of a sudden everybody was a Saints fan! How many remember Archie Manning or Rickey Jackson? Thus MUFC supporters will ask new fans: are you willing to learn who George Best is? Or why the name Eric Cantona still stirs supporters to song? For the Saints, while it was a well deserved win for the team from a city that has been through so much hell, the bandwagon fans that cropped up afterwards were ridiculous. And even worse was how many who hopped on so quickly got right back off when their team lost that next season!

There is no respect in that and I can understand why some who are long time supporters may get a bit rankled when a new fan appears in their midst. Some say, “well why couldn’t you choose my team or any team but THAT team?” One thing we all must consider that regardless of what sport we follow is that very few voluntarily get behind the losing side. Also it’s about the marketing, plain and simple. In 2010, a poll was conducted to find out who the most popular sports teams were (not to be confused with most valuable or richest although I am sure there may be some correlation with this). Is it not surprising that a majority of association teams on this list are EPL teams? I am curious to see what the 2011 list looks like and there isn’t probably all that much of a change, but it simply goes to show that teams that do well, regardless if they are winning or in the running, will pull new fans in with their exposure.

When people are potentially new fans of a sport, it’s always natural to ask “who is the popular team?” and “Who is winning?” And why not? Even in a sport such as soccer, it means so much as new fans come in. They want a team they can be able to watch on TV, to have an easy time getting gear and memorabilia but most of all being able to find and commune with a fanbase that is as large and is as deep. And there is nothing ever wrong with rooting for the underdogs! But let’s be brutally honest. If you were new to American football and chose to cheer for the Cleveland Browns and lived in this region (Washington DC), I would have a million questions based on your choice. Likewise, I am sure that fans of Fulham, while welcoming a newcomer, would be full of suspicion of a newcomer, living in the shadow of Stamford Bridge.

But like any new fan should, I caution new fans to my sport and also I am taking my own advice. Don’t let your education of a new team that you follow end with what they did last year. I am still learning a lot not just about the sport but the team and its history. Take the time that you have to learn about where the team was before they came into prominence. Conversely, when you find that new fan to your sport, take them in and teach them because you will learn soon enough if they will be around. We all love it when our teams win. We love it when we can share that moment of victory with other fans who have been through all the ups and downs of long seasons waiting for that big victory.

We all just worry a bit when that new ‘rah-rah’ supporters who can’t ever know what it was like when we struggled through a bad season where we were predicted to win, suffer through an embarrassing loss or even have controversy heaped upon us. We don’t know if they plan on being around for the long haul or if they are just here for the moment, gone when the fair-weather turns foul, when the trophies stop rolling in.

Ask any Dolphins, Cowboys or Redskins fan in my area and they can define what it is to be a long suffering fan.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester United. Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Helpful Advice For New Soccer Fans Searching For an EPL Team to Support

1. Bruce Gottesman says:

Don’t let the long-time supporter snobs get to you. Pick a team for whatever reason you like. I’m in South Florida, and I’m old enough to remember when there were no long-suffering Dolphins fans because we won a lot. When the Miami Fusion MLS team was contracted, I searched for an EPL team to follow. I decided on Newcastle, and a big part was Fusion Manager Ray Hudson played there before coming to Florida and the old NASL Strikers. I must admit that it helped that they were pretty good in the turn of the century, but of course I had to deal with the horror of delegation not too long ago. My advice to you is to go visit a fan site or two of the clubs in the running before you decide. The guys who run NUFC.com cracked me up, and 10 years later they still often do.

• Rich says:

I agree you have to look at things besides who is on the up and up. I chose City back before the Sheik bought them because i liked what they stood for back then. I’m A loyal supporter but at the same time What City are doing is jst sickening to me…I wish i could go back and choose someone like Tottenham someone who isnt changing football for the worse. Think carefully before choosing always

• Why? says:

Word of advise though never be a fake plastic fan like oh so clearly bxll shxting Rich here, and remember Spurs are one of the biggest spending teams of all time, it’s a shame clear as day ‘I’ll pretend to be a city fan but clearly follow spurs’ Rich here didn’t start watching Spurs before they had spent a fortune! And without them spending like they did to get into Champions league Rich wouldn’t be pretending to be a City fan or following Spurs LOL. As most new fans in America will not have been born into a football EPL team so I suggest new fans watch the football as it’s about entertainment at the end of the day , add that to the likelihood of winning the odd pot here and there and Bobs your uncle as once again I do stress it‘s a game and it‘s all about entertainment not to those born into it but to new fans. not being born into if for fans from an other Country also how the will do in the future. Unfortunate the premier league at the top is a close shop because of unfair payment that are totally lopsided in favour of the top teams and will remain this way for decades Arsenal, Utd, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and even Spurs to a lesser extent are only better than the rest because of the money the have spent if you gave Stoke or say Bolton similar amounts they would also be up there. Don’t let Arsenal fans, who seem to think they haven’t spent big for some reason tell you any different.

2. Cameron Saless says:

I started by obsessively watching the eurocup in 2008 and quickly latched on to a few players who just happened to play for Liverpool. The more I learned about Liverpool, the more I knew I had found my team. I loved the history, the playing philosophy and of course the fans. I went to my first match at Anfield this year against Manu and it was like a trek to mecca. YNWA!

3. Nick says:

As others said, don’t let the snobs get you down. As a long-time Man United supporter myself, all I have to say is Welcome to the Club and it’s great to have another Red.

4. evan says:

Another plastic glory hunter. Just what the world needs.

5. Bob Ruediger says:

3 things:

1. Anyone who isn’t from England or doesn’t have any ties to a team that is trying to find a team is bound to root for who’s winning, that’s just how it happens. But to quote the book Bloody Confused: “It’s not a choice mate!” I would suggest really looking into the history of clubs if you’re new to the sport, it will make you love everything that their crest stands for.

2. As a City fan I went through most of HS laughing at all the soccer players who wore United shirts and then asked me if City and United would be playing in the Premier League Playoffs. People like that are the ones you need to avoid. There is absolutely nothing wrong with supporting United, as long as you actually support them and don’t just wear their kit because they’re the only team you’ve ever heard of.

3. I was a victim of your Saints bandwagon, but for a different reason than the one you mentioned. As a long time Stiller supporter from greater PGH I can’t bring myself to really support anyone other than the original Black and Gold, but GOD do I love Reggie Bush! My man is a beast and even without that Heisman my man was the best running back in college football for sure. Just don’t see myself ever rooting for the dolphins though lol.

6. Aaron Hoop says:

Funny enough I was big into Aussie Rules Football in ’02 and wanted something to watch after the season was over. My best friend watched football (soccer) and followed Liverpool so I decided to follow them as well. Now I follow EPL (Liverpool), La Liga (Barcelona), and MLS (Columbus “Home town team” and DC United “Where I live now”).

7. Harry Cee says:

^^^^^ HEEEEY AARON!!!!!!

8. Zipperclub says:

New American LFC fan here. My son is a Chelsea fan and has been for some time, I always loved the world cup and decided last year after purchasing my first HD TV to get the sports package which included Fox Soccer HD.
    The only teams I really knew were Man U and LFC. I had heard of LFC back in the early 2000s and knew Michael Owen was good. This was my basis for picking LFC.

At the time I didn’t know about the Texans ruining the club, or that LFC wasn’t doing very well with Roy at the helm, or any of the other problems going on.
    I did however see a video of the KOP singing YNWA, and was smitten. I had never seen or heard anything like it, and as I learned about the teams history and faithful fans, I knew it was the team for me.

People always call LFC one of the big 4 and a bandwagon choice, I really don’t see it being true at this time other than they are a well known team that once was a powerhouse. They’ve never won the Premiership, and the last 4-5 years haven’t been real great.

I myself feel I kind of got in supporting them at a low time in team history, and got to see the rehiring of King Kenny and the team being rebuilt by FSG. Things are looking good now, but a return to the Champions league is in no way a done deal for us.

Hope this may add a little to the conversation on why people decide to support one EPL team over another.

9. The Gaffer says:

Welcome aboard Zipperclub. It’s always good to hear from new fans of Premier League clubs!

10. Brad in SoCal says:

Yes, welcome. The one thing that Rupert Murdoch has done that could be considered a plus for humanity is FSC and FSC+. I won’t put forward my method of picking a team, as that has led only to heartbreak. Since I started watching the EPL, I have shunned the big clubs in favor of the plucky underdogs. Unfortunately, Reading, then Hull City, and finally Blackpool have all gone down, in Blackpool’s case in heartbreaking fashion last season.

This year I have yet to choose a champion, since none of the new sides really appealed. I do like Wolves (the Reading connection of Doyle and Hunt strikes a chord), but I have no faith in them. I also like Liverpool’s style of play this year, with Charlie Adam’s contributions a definite plus. And Arsenal, abandoned by Fabregas and Nasri, but fighting back with a brilliant van Persie et al, has continued fascination. Tottenham also is easy on the eye.

I guess the game in its entirety is the attraction. Enjoy!

11. NS says:

I’ve always distinguished between fans and supporters. I tend to call most bandwagoners “fans”, and people who have loved the team and understand their history and will stick it out through the thick and thin with a team “supporters”. Unlike fans, supporters will never yell obscenities at their players because they respect that sometimes it just doesn’t come together as a team, that their players make mistakes. As supporters, we view our identity as one with the team’s, with each individual player, and when one player makes a mistake, we empathise with them. We are the ones who watch our team put on a terrible performance and think “it’s okay, next time, we’ll do it better”. And even when we get disappointed time after time, we still stick it out and look forward to the next game with the hope (and the knowledge) that we will rebuild. For better or for worse, till death do us part…we are married to that identity.

It doesn’t matter if you’re a new or old supporter, as long as you have that passion and that love for your team, you will always be welcomed. So welcome, Harry, to the MUFC family!

12. Lee Allen says:

I became an Liverpool fan because I saw how much the club means to the city and the clubs ability to bounce back from the tragedies on and off the pitch.

13. Pete says:

I don’t know why fans in the U.S need to support a team. I don’t even support a team and I live in England. Why not just watch the game and appreciate it for what it is.
    You may over time find that you like watching a particular team more than others but I don’t see the need to jump into the sport and try and pick a team just for the sake of it. Just enjoy watching the game.

• Harry Cee says:

Pete, that is just plain ignorance there which means you really didn’t read my article. Just because you live in England (and don’t support a team) doesn’t give you a one up on those of us who don’t who like the sport. It would be the same way of me saying that I live in the US but I like baseball, I don’t follow any teams and can’t understand why people the world over follow the Yankees. Look at the link I posted. There are teams that are popular worldwide followed by people who aren’t from the countries they are based in. If you are a sports fan, how do you really enjoy a sport without being a fan of at least ONE team? What you are asking in your post is why can’t people just be casual fans of association football? That statement is disingenuous in and of itself. Anybody that likes any sport is not going to follow a sport for too long without finding a team to cheer for. It just doesn’t even make sense! And it’s not just for the sake of it, it’s not as easy as flipping a coin or eenie meenie miney moe. Many people even as expressed on this thread have given different reasons as to why they picked their team and if they are happy with their choice, who are you to question it considering you don’t even follow a team?

• Pete says:

Ignorant? Check yourself because liking a sport has nothing to do with liking a team and if that is what you think then you are ignorant. Me going out and buying a yankees cap means nothing if I don’t watch baseball or even know the rules of baseball, it just means I have a cap that says Yankees on it.
        Secondly, If people want to go out and buy a Liverpool top 5 minutes after watching one game then that is up to them, it’s their money. My point was that they shouldn’t feel that they have to support a team or go out and spend $80 on a Man Utd top to watch football.
        Some of my friends and I have managed to do it for over 25 years so it is possible despite what a 5 minute fan of Man Utd thinks.

• harry cee says:

But why would you buy a teams merch if you arent supporting them? That in and of itself is dumb. Its what I callbeing a walking advertisement ! Conversely you should never run out and make an impulse buy after just one game. Trust me it took a bit of time before I even got my first peice of mufc gear. Even still if you want to be a passing fan of a sport that is your business but there is no fun in it IMO until you are rooting for a team. At that point you are just watching because nothing else is on!

Sorry, but I dont think I have heard (much more from a man) anyone ever say that they have followed a sport for 25 years and not eventually follow a team.

• Todd says:

I see both sides to the “argument,” but this really is splitting hairs here. Things are being way over-analyzed here.

• Joe says:

Why do you need to make rules over how someone enjoys a pastime like watching sports? Why does someone NEED to support a team? I watched the NFL for a decade before I decided I liked one team in particular, and even now most of the games I watch don’t involve that team. Your limited view of what it means to follow a sport should not be applied to everyone.

• Ben says:

I totally agree with you Pete, I find it childish just to pick a team just for the sake of choosing a team, just enjoy the game, I mean what is the point anyway in any sport, they are more important thing in life than choosing a team.

• Paul says:

The Premier League and my club Liverpool is a way of life. There is nothing to rival that feeling when I’m at Anfield on a Saturday afternoon… or a Sunday afternoon as will be the case tomorrow! There might be more important things in life but nothing will give you the same feeling your team gives you with the highs and lows of a season!

14. Liverpool captured my interest a few years back when they pulled out so many results in the late moments. Though I’m often bothered by fan reaction to Americans (makes me want to follow Fulham at times – but only slightly) they seem to have learned their lesson because of the obvious professionalism/commitment FSG bring to the game and club. Very much looking forward to watching their approach play out on the pitch. The business savvy shown by FSG in the sporting world is unparalleled. This chapter has added a new layer of love for LFC

15. Casey G. says:

as a Liverpool supporter, i’d much rather hear an American new to the EPL saying they’re a fan of Man City because of the money, players, success somewhat and being honest about it because they just started following week to week over the past few years, RATHER than a bunch of a casual fans who don’t watch week to week saying they been Man United fans “for a while” now and whatever reason they follow it up with.

16. Matt says:

I picked Aston Villa a couple years back for a few reasons: I like the uniforms, I like that they donated their jersey sponsorship to charity, I liked that they’re a big club, and most importantly, they were the champions of the English baseball league Al Spalding himself helped organize in 1890. I cannot be a baseball addict (as I am) and not root for this team!

Sadly, I don’t know any AVFC supporters in the area and don’t spend much time on message boards, so I can’t speak to being welcomed into the fanbase or not. I am working hard to learn the answers to those questions you refer to though, Harry. My wife picked me up a big fat single-volume history of the club going back to the beginning, which has helped enormously.

17. Todd says:

Interesting article, and even better comments. Guess I’ll throw my story out there. I started following Arsenal religiously during the summer of 1999. Being across the pond from all the action, it was tough watching games or getting any coverage, but when I did see highlights and scores, it was always the Gunners that caught my eye. Having played the game my entire life, I used to love their jerseys from catalogs even in my youth. As I got older, I was attracted to Bergkamp and Vieria for obvious reasons, and just sort of fell in love with Wenger and the club. The history is quite amazing, and Highbury was a thing of beauty. And once Henry really emerged as a star, I was not looking back. It’s been quite the journey so far, but it’s been so much fun. Now that I get to see every match thanks to increased coverage, there’s nothing like that feeling on game day. It evokes a childlike excitement in me, and the feeling I get while watching, winning or losing, is second to none.

18. gunner says:

Same story as me, mate. Those were the good old days when the few dedicated footie fans used to watch the sport at a time when there wasn’t as much coverage of it in the US as there is now. you also didn’t come across people who would just sport a jersey of a team that became BIG all of a sudden. I’ll give you an example. On college, I’ve at least a dozen people wearing Manchester City kits and memorabilia in the last year. Where were all these fans when City were living in the shadow of United. Since they’re college kids, I’ll spare them the task of researching the history of the club, with players like Paul Lake and what happened to him. Do these people know who Paul Lake was and what happened with his career?? Who Elano was??? Have these people ever walked the streets of Manchester around the Eastlands area and seen the streets around the football ground?? That’s being a little harsh as I myself have never visited North London and been to either Highbury Stadium or the Emirates although I’ve been to London once…

19. John says:

I started watching soccer during the 2006 World Cup. I became a fanatic (to the point that its jumped all forms of basketball and baseball) to about even with American football in terms of sports I follow last year before the 2010 world cup. I joined the American Outlaws, I support the USMNT like they were my family.

However, I completely understand where Pete is coming from, because besides the NY Yankees in baseball, I don’t have a team in the NFL. I’m a fan of players, not teams. I’ll root for the Jets, but currently the Ravens trump all, and its solely because of Ray Rice. I used to cover him when he was in high school (I’m a sportswriter) and we became friendly.

Anyway, sticking with my “I’m a fan of the team that my favorite player plays for” I became a fan of Chelsea because of Michael Ballack, but then he left before I really got into it, and frankly… I don’t like anything else about that team.

Ever since, I’ve been trying to find a team, and researching how others do it, etc. The #1 rule always seems to be “You can’t follow a Big-4 team,” but I think that’s ridiculous, especially from America. If we want to watch an EPL team every single match, it almost has to be a Big-4 team (soon to be Big-6?).

To make my long story still very long. I’ve settled on Arsenal. I love their kits, their crest, their name, etc. They’re a London-based team which I appreciate because its my best shot to catch a game live one day. As an American, I appreciate awesome goalkeeping, so I love the young and brash Szczesny. The style of play is what every American should want because we supposedly don’t like soccer because its “boring.”

Arsenal is on the Yankees network every single week along with Arsenal World and Arsenal 360. Arsenal will travel to the US regularly, and Brek Shea is training there now, and Tim Ream is on the radar…

The one and only downside to Arsenal is their penchant for French players. :-)

• Taimur says:

penchant for French players? Well, for one, they have a French manager. Secondly, if it weren’t for all the French players that they’d have bought, like Henry, Vieira, Pires, Wiltord, Lauren, they wouldn’t have scrubbed the same floor with Manchester United for so many years…

20. Reece Kirk says:

As a Goalkeeper Coach, I thought you or your readers would also like to consider the option of supporting a team based on your favourite players or the type of player you would like to emulate especially if you are just beginning to play Football/Soccer and you want to learn from some of the best Keepers in the EPL. So lets say you want to be a great keeper and your goalkeeping favorite is Brad Friedal you could follow Spurs or Tim Howard you could follow Everton.

Following top teams like MUFC or Liverpool or MCFC or Chelsea etc will normally bring the joy of watching your team win most weeks and even see them reach various finals. Watching or following the mid table teams can be really frustrating but it can make it even more special when you win a game against a top EPL side or you win a trophy against the odds.

From the goalkeepers perspective following a great keeper in a mid to low level team can really help you develop your own game as your teams keeper is likely to be very busy and call into action a lot.

Whoever you decide to support, you should stick with them, through the good and bad seasons.

• Harry says:

Reece, that’s a good way to think about it. I never followed players too much because when a player goes, then I am torn with following the team or the player especially a player with <8 or 9 years under their belt.

• Reece Kirk says:

Harry, good point. There are not many players who put loyalty to club before money. Ryan Giggs is a great example of a loyal player or Paul Scholes or Garry Neville. However, when you consider they grew and played for one of the biggest clubs in the world, it would be crazy to leave MUFC and join another club unless the club no longer wanted you and put you on the transfer list. Reece

21. Gaz Hunt says:

The most helpful advice for American football fans is to support an American club.

Watch the Premier League, enjoy the Premier League quality, but support a local club.

I’m from the UK and still support an English side, but I’m not going to get into who is a “real” supporter. I just think that having a local that you actually go to the games for is vital to the football experience.

22. Ryan Curtis says:

First of all I’d like to mention how much it infuriates me to see Man City now being labelled ‘one of the big clubs’. They are not a big club, they are not in the same league as United, Liverpool, Arsenal etc and I only hope that this fortunate position they have found themselves in ends sooner rather than later as it is not only giving me grey hairs, but destroying football.

It is nothing new to see fans supporting the bigger, more successful and in form teams, its hard to imagine a person recently interested in football (soccer) living in the US to pick Blackburn or Wigan as their team of choice as they are non of the 3 above factors.
    Supporters abroad choosing a big club doesn’t half as much annoy me as Liverpool fans in Devon etc who have absolutely no reason for their choice other than ‘they’ve just always like them’ and try to instil their knowledge of football and the club on you, without ever having visited Anfield.

For American fans unsure of a club to choose, pick Everton. You’ll probably regret it, but that’s what football is all about, and hopefully Landon will be back in January.

23. Jjerg says:

‘One doesn’t choose a team to support, the team chooses you.’
    If you have to think about who to support, you are starting off on the wrong idea. Our most loved teams in any sport are the ones that have a bond that we had no choice but to make. You were born down the street from Barnet, or were friends with the little sister if the 3rd choice keeper of St Pats Athletic or were born into a family of Arsenal supporters who lived in South London.
    This is why it difficult for us Americans to quickly have a true team in Europe. Be patient, something will happen and that club will show itself. Then you will truly enjoy that win, cry after that loss, and loath that rival.
    Jj. Portsmouth supporter since 88, American since birth.

24. matt says:

you had to pick a team, so no one should blame you for that; but to pick the best team in the league, known for hypocrisy and a lack of ethics, with a dishonest coach, and a negative minded fan base that would rather insult their opponents than support their own club, is, well……..

….About the worst choice you could have made.

• The Gaffer says:

Matt, there is no bad choice. Any football team deserves the support of a fan. There are no good teams nor bad teams.

25. matt says:

On a side note, Liverpool’s loyal and passionate fan base, in the face of a 3-0 deficit to AC Milan at half time in Istanbul, willing the Reds to victory won my love back in 2005. 7 years later and I never miss a match.

26. John says:

A good way to go about choosing which team to support is to find out your city’s “sister city”. I live in NYC, therefore London is our sister city and vice versa (If your city doesnt have a sister city, then watch a year of the EPL before you decide and enjoy the matches that makes the EPL one of the best, if not, the best league in the world. Then, after its all said and done, choose a team). London has a lot of clubs in the area and choosing your team to support is totally up to who you. Once you find the team that you would sacrifice sleep for and wake up early morning to watch, thats your team. My selection went with Chelsea, and I figured, most teams I support here in NY wear blue, why not support the Blues.