WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 12: Open Thread

5799744701 d3af09b821 Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 12: Open Thread

It’s time to rejoice for two reasons. First, there will be no more international breaks for the rest of the season. And two, the Premier League is back. It’s been an agonizing long two weeks without Premier League football, but this weekend the British variety of football is back with a vengeance.

Norwich against Arsenal kicks things off. Call me crazy, but I fancy Norwich getting an upset win here. That’s followed by a game which could be argued that it’s the biggest of the weekend — Manchester City against Newcastle United (first against third). In that same 10am ET/3pm GMT kickoff time, we can also choose between Everton versus Wolves, Wigan against Blackburn, Sunderland against Fulham, Stoke battles QPR and West Brom against Bolton. The Wigan match will be like watching a car crash to see who pulls themselves from the wreckage.

Last but not least, we have Swansea’s biggest home match of their 99-year history against Manchester United as the late kick-off.

I don’t know about you, but I can’t wait for all of the games today.

Before, during and after today’s matches, be sure to add your questions, observations, opinions, rants and raves in the comments section below. Hope you have a wonderful Saturday!

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Premier League Saturday, Gameweek 12: Open Thread

1. The Gaffer says:

Great interview with Paul Lambert by Rebecca Lowe on ESPN2.

2. Serpico127 says:

Where is Ian D on ESPN?

• The Gaffer says:

Getting ready for Sunday’s MLS Cup game on ESPN.

Adrian Healey is good, but no one can compare to Ian Darke.

• Serpico127 says:

Thanks for the info. At least Philly Dowd is refing the game. Nothing like watching a man with the body of an american truck driver run about the field. RVP is looking good so far.

3. The Gaffer says:

Kartik warned us a few months ago on the EPL Talk Podcast that Per Mertesacker is slow on the turn, and today was a perfect example of that. Poor defending. But Norwich’s defense looks pretty porous, so I can see Arsenal definitely scoring soon.

4. The Gaffer says:

Congratulations to Arsenal on the win. I thought Norwich definitely made it a two-sided game. The big difference for me was Theo Walcott who continues to improve on the right wing as we saw for Arsenal today and for England during the past two weeks.

Great way to start Saturday off.

• RVPFan says:

Very impressed with Theo today and in the past couple of weeks. His runs are immaculate, his pace is amazing, for importantly, his crosses seems to be finding team-mates, something we haven’t seen so much from him. This is good news, specially when Robin Van Persie is in such top form at the moment. Good on you Theo.

• Todd says:

I love how he’s starting to utilize the ‘ole knock on and just blow by everyone out on the wing. It’s a really tricky little move a lot of players seem to forget to incorporate into their game, especially if they’re pacey like Theo. Great result, march on Arsenal!

5. Simon Burke says:

Hard work that win. As ever we made it difficult for ourselves and I feel that had Norwich gone for it more they’d have got something. I saw them at united and Norwich played without fear but today they poor by comparison.
    I like Norwich though and certainly hope they stay up.

6. Andrei says:

Newcastle unbeaten run is over?

7. The Gaffer says:

Tense first half so far in Swansea. They’re holding their own and making United work hard for it, but they just did a bit more composure around the penalty area to try to get an equalizer.

• The Gaffer says:

Tough blow for Swansea after all of their hard work, but they played brilliantly and have nothing to be ashamed of. Still opportunities to improve, but heads are held high.

8. Harry Cee says:

True….the game esi;y could have been 3 -0 but MUFC missed lots of shots at the end.

• The Gaffer says:

A fair score, in my opinion, would have been 1-1. Scott Sinclair had the shot that was palmed around the post by De Gea. And he had that glaring miss in the first half.

Swansea controlled the game in the second half (thanks to the addition of Joe Allen). In the first half, it was 50/50 but Routledge didn’t do a good job of being creating chances for Danny Graham.

• The Gaffer says:

And let me add that I’m proud of the way Swansea played against one of the best teams in the world. Nathan Dyer, Joe Allen and Ashley Williams put in great performances today. They ended up with no points but their performance should help boost their confidence for their upcoming games against Aston Villa, Blackburn and Fulham.

• dlink04 says:

“Swansea played against one of the best teams in the world”.. Gaffer that’s silly.. Manu is no way one of the best teams in world..

• The Gaffer says:

I respectfully disagree. While Manchester United are not playing at the top of their form right now, there’s no doubt that they’re the number two or number three best team in the world. I know it may be hard for you to admit that as an Arsenal fan, but for you to argue that Manchester United is not one of the best teams in the world is ridiculous.

9. Matthew Shea says:

So I watched the QPR – Stoke game on DVR today, and WOW. That was one of the most entertaining games I’ve watched this year. Some dodgy refereeing, I felt, but overall very exciting, very passionate- the type of game that could make anyone a soccer fan.

• The Gaffer says:

I caught the highlights but didn’t get a chance to watch the whole game, but the one game I did watch today which was the game of the weekend so far for me was Wigan against Blackburn. What an incredible ending to the game, and what bravery.

Stoke are falling apart defensively, which sounds so strange to say about such a defensively minded team.

10. QPR_Fan says:

YYYEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!

11. Beto says:

11 AM game- same time as church, wearing my LFC scarf with my coat…glad bells is starting…