Football Manager 2012 3D Match Views: Sneak Video Preview

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA3hd3xGbDs

The release of Football Manager 2012 is just weeks away, but we have a sneak preview of what the enhanced 3D Match Views will look like.

As you can see from the above video, the level of detail that has been added to the 3D Match Views is quite substantial. That includes everything from improved stadiums, player injuries, animated player responses, better lighting and much more.

The level of detail is so impressive that it almost looks like a video game within a game. I find it interesting that Football Manager is improving their 3D Match Views because the lines are beginning to get blurred between football management and arcade-like video games. However, there is still a gap between the two, but even the video games are incorporating Football Manager-like features and functionality.

Based on the video sneak preview above, what do you think of the work that Football Manager has done? And are you a Football Manager or FIFA person? Share your insight in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Football Manager, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Football Manager 2012 3D Match Views: Sneak Video Preview

1. trickybrkn says:

I have been playing since the 2002/03 game. and it just gets better without losing its core addictive properties. I can’t wait.

2. FC Asheville says:

I bought FIFA11 (my first football game) and enjoyed it, but lost interest after one full season. I am thinking Football Mananger might be a better fit for me. I have never seen it in person or even played a demo. It looks like more or a strategy/roll playing game. Does one actually play the games or is it acted our based on your decisions? I can’t watch the video above as we have Youtube blocked at work.

• Earl Reed says:

It’s a pure simulation. There’s no gamepad or joystick to use. You become the manager of a club (they have so many leagues you’ll never even think to play!), and take over the day-to-day operations as the manager. Training, signings and transfers, tactics, press…and that’s all outside of matchday. On matchday you select your team and tactics, give them the team talk, and watch as much or as little of the match as you want. If you watch the full 90, you can give shouts from the coaches box to, for instance, “Get stuck in” or “clear ball to the flanks.” You can also adjust in-game, from tactics to subs to marking assignments. (You can give shouts even if you only watch key plays, but I’m not sure if that’s as effective if you don’t see the way the play is going).

You also deal with the Board. Basically they set your transfer budget, salary allowance, and expectations for the season. You can interact with them to try and get things done, such as improvements to the ground or extra transfer money. You typically also have a reserve and youth squad to manage as well.

There aren’t many games that this compares to…baseball has a couple of pure simulators (Diamond Mind being one). If you like the more intellectual side of the game, this would be for you.

3. Daniel says:

I usually just play PES/FIFA but have really enjoyed the Manager games from time to time. By far my favorite was (Total Club Manger ’05, I think) one where you could play the full manager game but then play the actual matches using the FIFA disc. It was amazingly engaging but was a feature that was completely dropped (I think it was dropped when it became FIFA Manager, but I’m not 100% sure).

The manager games are great but I always want to play the team I’ve been developing and without that I always lose interest after a season or so. I’d love the games to merge (or at least include most of the core manager game play into FIFA) but failing that the TCM option was more than enough.

4. Fairchild says:

sickest game ever for iphone, can’t put it down on the train

5. JC says:

I’ve been playing FM for a long, long time (late 90′s I believe, when it was still CM), though I’ve learned over the years that it helps to skip a version or two. My last version was 08/09, and I think this year it’s time for me to get it again. Enough has changed that I’ll enjoy it again (besides, my 19 year career as Forest manager has run its course, I think).

There really is no sports sim like it – OOTP and Diamond Mind (both baseball) are nice tries, but don’t have anywhere near the depth of FM.

As for the match engine, it definitely looks good, but for me it still comes down to how representative of the events the engine actually is. Meaning, does watching the 3D engine really allow you to analyze your club, or are the animations still so limited that you’re not well served (in your career) by basing your analysis on what took place in the engine? Know what I mean? If they’ve reached that point, then they really have reached another level with the franchise.

6. Happygreenfrog says:

EA sports, FIFA Manager still does it for me and i just cannot get into Football Manager, no matter how many people tell me it has more realistic player statistics and training. It simply comes down to the 3D engine and the ea version wins hands down over the sega one every time.

7. dadang says: