Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Seattle Sounders Win 2011 US Open Cup Final

httpv://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJaCi4FOOXE

On Tuesday night at Century Link Field in front of a record crowd of 35,615, history was made when Seattle Sounders won their third US Open Cup in a row and showed why they have dominated this tournament since their promotion to MLS from their days down in the USL 1st Division (formerly Division 2 of US Club Soccer).

It was a scoreless first half as both sides gave their opposing keepers tons of problems in the penalty areas, but somehow both Sean Johnson and Kasey Keller were able to shine. The real scare for the Fire came in the second minute of first half stoppage time as Fredy Montero ripped a hard shot that nailed the post and sailed away.

Second half got off to a flying start and both sides looking hungry to get that elusive first goal of the match. In the 53rd minute Michael Fucito had an excellent chance to be cheeky, as he chipped Johnson who came off his line, but the ball hit the near post and away.

But finally the goal came for the Sounders as they continued to pepper Sean Johnson every single time they had possession. In the 77th minute the Fire’s defense helped out their keeper after all the saves he made and finally cleared the ball away.

But in the back end of that minute the goal came from a rebound off a set piece. Seattle sent a corner from the far side into the Chicago area and a great header from Fucito forced a save by Johnson, but lurking for the rebound was Montero and he put the Sounders ahead.

The Fire never gave up after allowing that goal. They continued to put on pressure trying to find a way to get that equalizer and somehow get into extra time. Sadly for Chicago the final nail in their coffin would be in sixth minute of second half stoppage time.

The man who has scored clutch goals time after time for the Sounders is Osvaldo (Ozzie) Alonso and when he faked out his defender along with the keeper, he was able to convert his tally into an open net and that was the end of the 2011 US Open Cup season.

Give a lot of credit to Frank Klopas and the Chicago Fire for having a fantastic run that started in US Open Cup Qualifying and got them into their sixth final, but sadly not equaling the five cup championship level with Bethlehem Steel or Los Angeles Maccabi SC.

For the Seattle Sounders they have won their third consecutive US Open Cup championship that matches the same feat made by Stix, Baer and Fuller/St. Louis Central Breweries (same club, different name) from 1933 thru 1935 and the New York Greek American Atlas from 1967 thru 1969.

This being Kasey Keller’s last season in MLS, it looks like his swan song has started very well for him and let’s see what this side can do in the MLS Cup Playoffs. But for the US Open Cup that has played in its 98th tournament, this was a historical one as two great sides played their hearts out and made it proud.

This entry was posted in Chicago Fire, Leagues: Major League Soccer, Seattle Sounders. Bookmark the permalink.

52 Responses to Seattle Sounders Win 2011 US Open Cup Final

1. Charles says:

First of all, the Sounders did fine while they were in USL too.
    Making the semis of the US Open Cup the two years before they
    played in MLS. This was Alonso’s 4th straight final, so if the
    Sounders had him instead of Charleston we would be talking about 4
    in a row. Second, how great is it that I made the front page of
    MLSTalk ! Thanks for getting my better side. The rest of the
    Brougham End looks great too. Lastly, This really shows just how
    deep the Sounders are. To be able to win the US Open Cup with two
    starters missing during the whole season, playing in CCL and still
    playing well in MLS at the same time. They are the only team that
    CAN do it, and they are the only team that did do it. MLS Playoffs,
    and two different CCL seasons to look forward to. Good times.

• Robert says:

Congrats to the Sounders and Seattle.

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

Charles , How deep are the Sounders? How many players are signed
      with the Sounders?

• Mark says:

Ssfc have a 30 man roster. About 24 have significant minutes this
        year and about 18 have gotten significant starts. The trick has
        been getting good minutes from lower wage guys like Scott Wahl
        Carrasco Neagle And Rosales.

• Roger says:

all of those on the 30 man roster are signed with MLS. NOT THE
          SOUNDERS! it is all a lie guys . Open up your eyes! it is Make
          Believe Soccer! It is all fake!

• Tim says:

Then why does Seattle have a GM?

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

a franchise is a “simulated” club. Remember when Garber mentioned
            “simulated” Pro/Rel? The whole thing is a simulation! Do you know
            what argument they used in order not to be charged with antitrust
            law?! …………………..”- it should not apply to us, we DO
            NOT compete against each other!”……….and you are soccer fans
            exited about this league?!?!?!………………If they do not
            compete against each other, wich is the essence of sports, does it
            really matter if Seattle or Chicago won the USOC?

• Tim says:

Actually Roger, they are using the same exemption the NFL, NHL,
            NBA, MLB, use, which is perfectly legal.

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

Legal for now, but totally in tune with the philosophy that those
            sports practice, not ours! That is the point that I have been
            trying to make. International soccer is guided by principles that
            are VERY DIFFERENT than american sports are. Therefore, I repeat my
            fundamental statement: “Single entity ignores the fundamental
            values of our game” ……..there is a disconnection!………our
            soccer system reflects the mentality of leaders that have more
            links to american sports than they have to soccer.

• mark says:

SSFC has a 30 man roster plus a couple on the disabled list
        (Zakuani, Seamon and Boss). The difference has been the number of
        guys that have contributed. At least 23 guys have made at least 4
        starts in all competitions and 8 have at least 3 goals. I’d say
        there are at about 20 MLS starting quality players on the team.
        Some of those contributors are on pretty low salaries, Neagle,
        Wahl, Scott, and Rosales all come to mind.

• Roger says:

the answer is ZERO, NONE. NONE of the players are signed with the
        Sounders! Very deep , yes very deep roster !? Are you very exited
        Charles about making the play-offs 50% of the time, just by a team
        been mediocre? The real soccer fans will never ever go for this
        “soccer NFL style” that MLS is! If I wanted to watch the NFL, I
        will watch the NFL!

• Tim says:

World leagues are heading against your precious model. Bundesliga
          has had talks about a Championship Play-off, EPL is starting to
          ponder getting rid of pro/rel.

2. The original Tom says:

Good game and good win for the Sounders. It will be the only trophy
    for the season for them, I hope.

3. Seybold says:

Just wanted to give a shout out to the Fire supporters who were in
    town. They were awesome. They made a ton of noise and greatly added
    to the atmosphere at the match, the way it should be for a cup
    final, beside raising a ruckus downtown. I heard them marching
    downtown by the building I work at, and several people came over to
    see what was going on, and there they were all in red, chanting,
    drums pounding, three hours before the match. Very impressive.

• Charles says:

Ditto….on a Tuesday night too. You really get the feeling that
      America is starting to understand how good US/(Canadian) soccer is.
      I just read that Montreal has sold over 5k season tickets with 5
      months to go before their first game……………………….
      Assuming Montreal’s stadium is big enough, There should be 6 teams
      over 20k next year….although I worry about Toronto fans. That is
      1/3 the league. The league has done an INCREDIBLE job of putting
      out a great product while keeping costs
      low…………………………. Most of the credit probably has
      to go to US soccer player development, more specifically the
      college system which has cranked out many, many great players. The
      casual Euro watching fans will catch a clue…………………..
      eventually…………………Go
      Washington…………………..Go Sounders.

4. CoconutMonkey says:

Well, that one hurt.

5. Roger says:

Respect for the fans and the show they are putting on places like
    Seattle, Portland and others. I just hate the fact that all this is
    happening with a system (single entity ) that is a total
    misrepresentation of the universal philosophy that our game have
    implemented for more than a century.

• KL says:

Roger, everyone hates you. Go take your crazy and go somewhere
      else. MLS is doing great and is only getting bigger.

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

KL you call me crazy but last time I cheked the definition of
        insanity was to do the same things but to expect a diferent result.
        Right?! I say that if we implement pro/rel it will work HERE just
        like it has for more than a century , EVERYWHERE. the anti pro/rel
        ones argument that it will not work here, even though it has worked
        ALLWAYS, EVERYWHERE! can you tell me please who better fit the
        definition of insanity?

• Tim says:

Do you have a detailed analysis of how its always worked
          everywhere, or are you just saying that to spin your statement to
          sound true?

• Roger says:

Do not really need a detailed analysis, I have on my side something
            stronger, is is call reality. You should try to take it into
            account some time. Do you know what principle is acting when our
            franchises go to play the CCL in orther to earn on the field the
            right to play the Fifa Clubs World Cup? How about when our USMNT
            play the Concacaf qualifiers in order to go to the WC? Do we get to
            go to the WC because we are a big country and therefore a good
            market? NO, Right? Does Fifa exclude Haiti and Vanuatu from playing
            the WC qualifiers because they are very little nations? No, Right?
            That principle is call MERITHOCRACY, the right to play is given to
            ALL, and the results on the field determine how far teams go. – It
            gives teams a substantial insentive – it makes the games
            meaningfull – It respects the pureness of the sport – It makes ALL
            the clubs and nations feel part of the football family Can you give
            one good reason why we should not try it?

• Roger (SJ Quakes fan) says:

Just to clarify, you’re the one who had the name “Roger (pro/rel)”
      and hate for the MLS in general, not the opposite, which is me. I
      guess I’ll be the one with the extra name.

6. Charles says:

Roger, no one cares. Quit trolling and go hand out pamphlets at
    your local grocery store about it. To busy looking forward to the
    end of the season starting Saturday. Plus the Monterrey game on the
    18th. That game should be a blast. I really am hoping that they get
    in the same group as Monterrey next CCL. Yes, I realize that the
    Sounders are only playing reserves, but Monterrey can only play the
    team that the Sounders field….and the Sounders are a deeper team.
    (Sorry for the anti-troll comment which was a troll in
    itself……I couldn’t help it.) In all seriousness, the US-Mexico
    rivalry is one of the best in all of sports. First the national
    team and now the professional teams. Great stuff. The end of this
    year is going to be pure fun.

• Alan says:

Man, am I glad I ditched MLS Talk. Some things never change, and
      trolls never seem to go away.

• The Gaffer says:

Alan, I don’t think it’s a troll. It’s just someone who has a different opinion than most of the readers here.

Give me a name of any soccer website and I’ll show you the “trolls” who live there. It’s not a MLS Talk thing. It’s across the Internet.

• Charles says:

Gaffer, You HAVE to be kidding me…………a guy goes on a MLS
          talk site and pretends to hate everything about MLS, he doesn’t
          watch the league BUT he is NOT a troll?

• Charles says:

Actually I am not done. I just had to get up for a
          second………..How about SBI ? There will be a marginal Troll
          comment every once in while, guys will shoot him down and Ives will
          ban him………Are you seriously thinking that Roger, Alex and
          Robert are JUST whiny b1tches, who actually really are hoping MLS
          succeeds, because they love watching US soccer
          ?…………………Is that why you have not banned them ? IF so
          you are a moron……….Guys like Roger the SJQ fan and I can have
          beefs with MLS and post them because we actually for MLS
          succeeding. Guys like Roger the NON SJQ fans are just a waste of a
          life.

• Alan says:

You can’t be serious. This is why I don’t come on this site, but
          have no problem going on other sites. NONE of these people with
          “differing opinions” even like MLS. They admit to it all the time.
          They don’t even want it to succeed. They don’t like anything about
          it. They come on here to run down those actually interested in the
          league and bash it in anyway that they can. I have no issue with
          those that disagree with me on anything, but you don’t see me over
          on EPL Talk bashing EPL when I could care less about the league. If
          I did that, I would be a troll and just piss off everyone on the
          thread. A troll is just someone trying to rile people up, not
          debate ideas. Differing opinions is one thing, trolling and bashing
          on a forum on a subject that they don’t care anything about is
          another. I’m really not sure why you don’t see this, but that’s
          fine. We just have differing opinions. Its just unfortunate that a
          few “people with differing opinions” can drive people off of your
          site. I follow many soccer blogs and this one has WAYYYYYY more
          trolls than the others. Charles is right . Roger(Pro/Rel), Alex,
          and Robert are all trolls. None of the other people that I have had
          differing opinions with on this site would I say the same thing
          about. They are just hear to stir things up and make people mad.

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

“they are trolls”…………trolls …….trolls…..thats easy to
            do, to face reality is a little harder………..so…let me try
            one more time. Since you like a real debate. Do you have any
            coments on my basic point, wich is: -Single entity ignores the
            fundamental values of our game, and that is a big
            deal!……………..still waiting!

• Tim says:

Gaffer, You need to start banning some of these idiots. If the
          article was on Pro/Rel or the financial system of MLS, allowing
          them to make the statements they make all the time would be
          warranted. But the fact that they go into any article and change
          the subject is trolling on a high level. This article was about the
          Sounder defeating the Fire in the US Open Cup final. The stupid
          Roger decided to bring up is gripes with MLS, rather than talking
          about the exciting match from last night. I’m with Alan, my
          readership has slowed on this site because idiots like these are
          let loose.

7. Roger (SJ Quakes fan) says:

For the record, I’m not the “Roger” that has posted here, I’m
    actually an MLS fan. Anyways, congrats to the Sounders for winning
    their third consecutive US Open Cup title.

8. Charles says:

The Sounders have sold 55k tickets for next weeks game against San
    Jose.

9. Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

Gaffer , thank you for defending our right to express opinions no
    matter how controversial they may seem to some! I ecourage you guys
    that use terms like ‘trolls’ to tell me wich of my opinios are
    irrational! Out of all the different arguments that I have brough
    up, the fundamental one have ALLWAYS being ignored. So let me
    mention it one more time and tell me if it is wrong: -Single entity
    totally ignores the fundamental values of our game! Which are:
    *Inclusion *Universality *Merithocracy ( 208 nations taking part of
    the last World Cup, more than the 192 members that the United
    Nations count with, is a good proof of those values ) you guys keep
    looking the other way EVERY time that I bring this issue, like it
    is not a big deal! I desagree! Being out of touch with the essence
    of the game is a BIG DEAL. We will never achieve our true potential
    until we address it! If you want to keep looking the other way and
    enjoy your MLS A vs MLS B one legged finals on neutral sites after
    10 team play-offs…have a blast; but I will tell you MLS fan boys
    this much, as long as there are fans that understand what our game
    is all about, it will be TOUGH to sell us this joke as a legit
    league.

• Charles says:

Controversial ? Yeah, that is what I am against,
      controversy……….Give me a break. You guys hate MLS, you want
      it to fail, you are on a MLS Talk site and you say you are not
      Trolls. You are Trolls. End of story……………………If I
      went on a hand sewing site and started saying the rest of the world
      does it with machines and everyone should hate hand sewing I would
      be a Troll………..Lastly I don’t think your opinions are
      irrational, I just don’t think you have the right to tell someone
      how their league should be run, when you have NO money in the game
      and you don’t support in any way, shape or form the people that do.
      In fact, you want them to fail………………….Guys like Hunt
      saved soccer for those that do care. You should be ki55ing his
      behind, not cursing his face………………..annoying, entitled,
      ungrateful, whiny, yes, controversial, give me a break.

• Roger (Pro/Rel) says:

You keep forever and ever ignoring my fundamental point ……….
        Wich is: -Single entity totally ignores the fundamental values of
        our game!……….and that is a BIG DEAL!….the irony is that you
        say that I want MLS to fail, but by looking the other way EVERY
        time this issue is brough up, you are making sure that MLS will
        fail because you can not build any high structure if your
        foundation is not solid…………..by ignoring how important it
        is to capture the essence and the values of the game, they are
        building on sand……………..I do care about the owners , ALL
        THE OWNERS , not only the ones on MLS but also in Rochester,
        Orlando, Tampa , Charleston, Harrisburg, Miami….they should also
        be linked to the international club soccer pyramid just like Haiti,
        Ivory Coast, San Marino are allowed to play the Fifa World
        Cup…………..INCLUDE ALL. That is our game spirit! That is the
        main reason it is the biggest sport on the planet!

• Alan says:

I would say that taking someone’s comments and twisting them into a
          pro/rel discussion is trolling, which you often do to me and
          others. You are just here to piss people off. How about discussing
          the article, which is about Seattle winning the US Open Cup, or
          can’t you do that. That’s right, you can’t because you don’t care
          about Seattle, MLS, the US Open Cup, etc. It is just an excuse for
          you to ramble on about promotion and relegation. My favorite post
          of yours goes back to “were we wrong to doubt the playoff
          structure”. If this is not a troll, then I don’t know what is. Here
          you are, in all of your trolling glory, trying to twist my words
          around:

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

Alan. even though you did not mention pro/rel specifically, you
            where using one of the recurrent anti pro/rel arguments, wich is
            ……..”non parity , specially on the Premier League, therefore
            using a league that is very unique, to make a point against a
            system that works EVERYWHERE”…………….Do you have any
            comments on my main argument wich is:……..”-single entity
            ignores the fundamental values of our game”…….that is more
            important than me been obsesed about pro/rel………………any
            coments? ……….let me repeat my main point one more time:
            -Single entity ignores the essence, the spirit of our
            game……..looking the other way still?

• Gazza says:

@Roger First, you obviously don’t know what Single Entity is or how
          the league works. (‘The Sounders have zero players on their roster’
          indeed). Second, to say MLS is built on sand shows everyone that
          you haven’t been paying attention or that you read an article about
          the league contracting Miami/Tampa Bay a decade ago and closed your
          mind. And you use the words fundamental and essence a lot. I’m
          convinced you have no idea what those words mean.

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

I use those words a lot intentionally in order to prove a point.
            Have you noticed how many responses adressing those issues are on
            this thread? NONE, CERO, NADA, …………”you hate MLS” “go away”
            “trol” “you have no idea” “take your crazy somewhere else” “why
            dont you ban him?”………..why do you allways attack the
            messenger, but leave the message untouch?…………….insults
            are easy! prove me with intelligent arguments that I am
            wrong!…………..I think that the essence, the spirit of the
            game is best exemplified by FIFA having more members (208) than the
            UN (192), ………….What is your version? What do you think is
            the essence, the spirit of world football?…………..school me!

• Tim says:

Roger, This topic is about Seattle winning the US Open cup. Unless
      you want to contribute to the subject, GTFO.

10. The original Tom says:

I’d rather have people make comments, it makes the articles more
    interesting. You don’t have to comment on the comments, or even
    read them.

• Roger (Pro/Rel) says:

wich translates to…………keep looking the other way!

• The original Tom says:

Roger (pro/rel)- I’d look the other way but I enjoy watching the
        sport. I like following a team. I like going to games and not just
        watching them on TV. So, yeah, the set-up could be better, but for
        my $20 and 2 hours the Colorado Rapids are worth it. I also enjoy
        watching the occasional MLS broadcast that doesn’t involve the
        Rapids. It is just entertainment, if I had to boycott every sport
        that wasn’t perfect, I wouldn’t watch any (think about it, no World
        Cup- FIFA sucks and made S. Africa spend too much money on stadiums
        and it too controlling about local businesses, no Olympics, same
        reason, no College Football, obvious, no European Leagues, too
        predictable, too much control by top clubs, no American major
        sports, the public money spent on stadiums is Sherrif of Nottingham
        type crime, etc …etc…etc…).

11. Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

@The original Tom. Thanks for not using unnecessary insults. We
    still disagree thought! You still look the other way on an issue
    that is essential!……..and then tell me that you are just happy
    to be entertained…”it is just entertaintment”…..you dont have
    any intention to try to make it better….so you just take it as it
    is…..so I get the idea that you are a “mild” fan……..a “mild”
    fan that takes time to read onlibe soccer blogs and make coments on
    them…..”mild” fans usually dont do that!?………..to me
    something just dont add up!?….even if you write using the name
    “original”. Are you original Tom?…………….original just like
    Charles that is suposed to be a pasionate soccer fan that
    pasionatelly defends the interest of a selected group of owners to
    take our game on a direcction totally oposed to its
    essence?……………by tha way Charles, kissing MLS owners
    behinds is your job and not mine!, and they did not saved our game
    but the oposit……..our game needs to be saved from
    them…………..I am an original soccer fan defending the
    pureness of game essence! …………..you guys can fool some
    people some times, but……………….

• Charles says:

Which brings us to the truth……the moron trolls are here for one
      reason….to feel superior to everyone else……if soccer
      suceeds,they hope it won’t, they lose that. Calling our league
      Mickey Mouse etc shows just how much better than us they truly are.

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

How is soccer going to succed using a system that is in total
        oposition to its essence?

• Tim says:

So soccer’s essence is massive debts and eroding stadiums?

• Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

you guys are on an alternative reality! ……………”be scared!
            be very afraid of pro/rel!”………”clubs would be bankrrupted all
            around”………..”the league would fall down if we ever implement
            it”…….”remember the old NASL!”……………..Reality makes a
            serious argument against all of your manipulation. There has NOT
            been one soccer league that practiced pro/rel that has EVER folded.
            ANYWHERE, for more than a century.

• The original Tom says:

What is essential is 22 guys, a field, a ref, a place to watch. The
      English league’s 4th division was not always open to the rest of
      the non-league teams- yet they survived and now it is. The
      Champion’s league is not that open- what with the seeded draws (Man
      City was 3rd in the one of the best leagues- yet they were in pot 4
      because why? They are not one of the old boys). I have a choice
      this weekend, I can watch a games on TV on Sat. morning- OR I CAN
      LEAVE MY HOUSE and go to the Rapids game on Friday night- a team I
      have real connections with because I watch them a lot and they have
      players from Colorado. It is quite likely I’ll go to a game, and
      watch some EPL. The league is not perfect, and I enjoy going on
      sites like this one to discuss how to improve it; but, I grew up
      when this country had no league, so I’m not going to sit this one
      out.

12. Roger says:

Tom. You guys just don’t get it! I dont want to sound arrogant, but
    until you see the phenomenon that international football is in all
    its dimention, it is almost like we are talking two different
    languages. The magic of football is that it is very humble and very
    deep at the same time. Humbleness made posible easy access. To play
    it you dont need 22 guys, neither a ref, even shoes, and almost any
    surface can become a field. That humbleness made it posible for the
    game to spread all around the world, it became an universal link
    between people, cities, nations, continents. Simple became huge!
    Never understimate the value of simplicity! To realize what is the
    essence you have to look past the humbleness and understand the
    mesage that live with in it! ……….football have acomplished
    what the world powers have not, to unite mankind around a game(Last
    WC 208 nations, UN 192 members)…………to capture that essence,
    that spirit, should be one of our top
    priorities……………….just like the founder the modern
    Olympics, Pierre de Coubertin said.. “The most important thing…
    is not winning but taking part”.

13. The original Tom says:

I’ve played this game my whole life, with and against people from
    all over the world. I don’t travel a lot, but I have played in
    Guatemala, beaches in Mexico, England, Germany. And I’ve watched
    games with people from all over the world. My other team, the team
    from where my ancestors came from, has spent a total of 1 season in
    the top flight over their 120+ years’ history. I get how great the
    minor league system is in England- the FA cup dreams, the promotion
    dreams. I love going to US world cup qualifying games and knowing
    that other qualifiers are being played all over the world that day.
    I agree that our closed systems in US sports are mostly cultural
    and business restrictions, although our vast geography plays a
    part. BUT, it is the system we have, and I want to have a team and
    go to games. We can push for change, and maybe, over the years, it
    will, but in the meantime, I have a good game to go this weekend.

14. Roger(Pro/Rel) says:

I think that our closed systems are wrong, and mostly benefit a
    small group of owners; not the players, not the cities that are
    neglected, not the fans, not society in general. What should carry
    most weight?……………I think that we should push for change
    so that fans all around the nation can have a good game to go
    to!………….just like they suscesfully do all around planet
    earth!