THURS, 1PM ET
THURS, 3PM ET
VIL4
ZUR1
THURS, 3PM ET
MON5
APO0

FIFA 12 or PES 2012: Which To Get?

FIfa 12 vs Pes 2012 FIFA 12 or PES 2012: Which To Get?

Initially, I didn’t plan on getting PES 2012 but after playing around with FIFA 12 and noting the upgrade from last year to this year and also wanting to find out why there are so many mixed feelings on the two, I broke down and bought PES anyway.

I will preface by saying that I have not gotten a chance to completely go through both games to see all of the differences. While I did play FIFA 11, I did not play PES 2011 so I have no way to compare last year’s game to this one at this time. I have not finished a season nor have I really had a chance to play online and quite frankly I am not an online player. Now if I can get more of my friends into these games I would play online more. I did however play mostly with the modes and options that mattered to me and for anyone else; I will say that your miles may vary with your own personal experience.

For starters, let’s just come out and talk about licensing, since that is what matters to some. FIFA has it. PES 2012 doesn’t. However, one thing I do like about PES (let me add that I am playing both on the 360) is that as long as your team is not licensed, if you have that kind of time on your hands, you can go in and tinker all you want until you have your team. For example, only Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur are licensed in the English League therefore you can’t edit them. You can go to town with any other team especially if there are some kits that you think are just hideous. You can make to your liking and that’s something I may do if time is available. PES of course has rights over the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League and UEFA Super Cup competitions as well as Copa Santander Libertadores. People who really want these competitions may lean towards this title.

Next up, since we are talking about visuals, I have to say that PES does lean a little more towards authenticity in terms of static graphics as far as dynamic lighting and even the crowd. I noticed that game crowds happen to wear the home team kits and while the animations for them are a little too uniform (when will people start taking notes from 2K Sports about crowd animations?) it’s surely a lot better looking than the cardboard cutouts in FIFA. Another small thing I did note is that stadiums tend to be empty or full depending on the type of match or popularity of your team in PES. If you’re playing a friendly and your starters aren’t in, your stadium may just have enough people in the lower levels. Play your rival and it’s packed. Small touches like that can sell me on a game. As far as in-game animation, I would say that FIFA has PES beaten in some areas as there are more animations when players collide on each other or play on the ball and this is in part due to the new physics engine. For player likenesses, I lean more towards PES as some of the faces and skin tones look closer to actual players than FIFA does. Also, some players in PES tend to be more animated in PES than FIFA in terms of missed shots, fouls or even just warming up on the field.

As far as the game play itself, which a lot of people put a lot of emphasis on, I can see why people say that FIFA feels more ‘arcadey’. In PES, I felt that you really had to have more skill to maneuver the ball down the pitch and build up the play before you can just let one fly. The controls in both games seem to be very precise and even though you have a sprint button in both (as well as a speed burst in PES), it doesn’t guarantee that you are going to beat defenders downfield as sometimes will occur in FIFA 12. And actually giving credit where it’s due with the tactical defending, push/pull system and the ability to call in a 2nd team mate, FIFA has almost eliminated sprinting abuse. PES also has some of these elements built into the game already and although I didn’t play last year’s iteration, it makes me wonder if this is something that PES has done for awhile and EA Sports just caught up to this, added it in and is selling FIFA 12 based on this feature. I wouldn’t be surprised. Both games also have the ability to allow you to tinker around with your on-the-field playing style and tactics so you can manage the game how you want. I do feel however, that the games are neck and neck as far as game play especially as far as defense is concerned.

Well, so far it may seem like PES has an advantage, but where does it fall down? By the end of the week this may change, but the rosters are not 100% up to date out of the box and I think that there are a few players whose stats are overblown. But I did read yesterday afternoon that a patch is due out to address some of these issues. One glaring thing I saw was that Cesc Fabregas was still playing for Arsenal (North London) and Tom Cleverley was still out on loan. Again when this patch drops, hopefully this will be cleaned up.

There also is no substitution animation in PES. When you make changes you simply get an alert as to who is in and who is out. It may not mean much to some (refer back to my stadium crowd issue) but that was a touch I like in FIFA. The biggest issue I have with this game is the commentary. I am sorry but Jim Beglin and Jon Champion are in need of No Doz. There are many stretches of the game where they may barely say the players’ name or nothing at all and build no excitement to watching the play unfold until a shot is attempted. This is one area that FIFA shines in that no matter which English commentary team you get, you will feel immersed in the game.

This year’s soundtracks on both games are pretty hit or miss to me and really if I had it my way, I would find a way to put in my EA trax from last year on both.

Time sinks

Both of these games have something outside of the normal modes that may keep you busy for a long while running. FIFA 12 did add on a somewhat deeper, managerial mode this year but PES’ Football Life feels like it has more meat on the bone (I heard that last year’s was deep also) because there is so much more to do than on FIFA. You get to run more of the team aspects such as sponsoring, training, transfers and so forth. You can hire staff for various parts of your operation and there are animated scenes that guide you along the way. While all of this feels nice and good, my only complaint is that this late into the life cycle of the 360. It may have been cool to have some voiceover work to go along with it instead of all the reading that comes along with it.

This is something that I wish FIFA had and if anything keeps me from playing FIFA 12 for a stretch, this would be it. It’s a crime that most sports games nowadays don’t have, as a standard, a deep franchise/GM mode to allow you to hype up or mess up your team any way you please! It seems like if companies want you to go behind the scenes, then you will get (insert sport here) Manager (yes you, EA Sports!). If FIFA 12 had as deep a Player Manager mode as PES, then the war between these two would be won, but it’s not. EA, take a hint, take FIFA Manager, chuck it and put it into the FIFA franchise and people would kill to get the next iteration.

My time sink on FIFA 12 is the Ultimate Team. I didn’t get a chance to play with it in FIFA 11 because I got on so late in the gaming cycle. But gosh, this is fantasy football on steroids. It takes all of the elements of a CCG (collectible card game for those I lost there) and mixes it with the game playing elements and you get all kinds of crazy recipes! You can get rare players, equipment, cards that gives you stat boost and worst of all, it will cost you some coin. I won’t lie, I spent about 10 bucks last night buying some packs to get a better team that what was given. And hanging around the auction house? It’s bad news because you will drool over the player cards that you want but don’t have enough coin to buy. Also I like how the strength and chemistry of your team may be based on team mates, nationality or other factors. I think I spent about 2 or 3 hours on that before I remembered that I still had a career mode to play and never got to!

What I am looking forward to seeing is how PES handles transfer deadlines as I have reached that point so far on FIFA 12 and I like the way they handle the last day so far and I am also interested to see how aggressive the AI on PES is when trying to lure your players away. I am also looking forward to see how players grow on both and compare notes to see which ones last and which don’t.

So, to wrap this up, in so many ways, this year’s futbol war reminds me so much of 2004 when both Madden 2K5 and ESPN 2K5 games came out. Whereas Madden had all of the bells and whistles, 2K5 had more for it under the hood especially with the ESPN style presentation and became a benchmark game (that the Madden series still have yet to realize) that people still talk about today.

Right now as it’s only been a few days since I have played FIFA 12 and a day that I had with PES 2012, it’s too early to call either a clear winner. It’s easy to see why gamers take both sides because what one has, the other doesn’t and what one may do, the other does better and it’s a shame that we can’t magically merge both games together to have the perfect game. As a first Impression of both series, it’s a tie with PES having a slight edge over FIFA in the career mode as well as gameplay and FIFA 12 having the advantage in presentation, on field graphical animation and Ultimate Team time sink.

You can’t go wrong with either one.

This entry was posted in FIFA Video Game, Leagues: EPL, PES. Bookmark the permalink.

141 Responses to FIFA 12 or PES 2012: Which To Get?

1. Adam says:

If you’ve got a Wii there’s no contest. Fifa games are embarrassing on the Wii and PES games are excellent.

2. bill says:

i would recommend everyone to get fifa 12 because fifa rules and pes fail every year

3. Mike says:

FIFA IS the BEST soccer game now I advice Everybody to Get Fifa 12

• FOOTBALL lover says:

Dude , who ever calls the ‘the beautiful game ‘ , soccer ?!?! mann , I really HATE these non-Brits !!!

• The Gaffer says:

Which country do you live in? If you’re like me and you live in the United States, say football and people will think you’re talking about American football. Soccer is a word used universally, and the benefit of using it is that there’s no confusion. There’s only one soccer, but many types of football.

• Guy says:

To answer your question, most of the English speaking world.

Football, soccer
        Lorry, truck
        Who really gives a f**k

4. John says:

PES is utter crap. Fifa all the way

5. Harry says:

looks like we got a spam troller here.

6. lee says:

Get PES Of course..Fifa is a bit unrealistic to me..

• Bolo says:

Fifa unrealistic ??? pfff you need to go back to sleep. If you like arcade go PES, it’s way easier to play. When you look at all the upgrade on fifa, physical conatcts between players, dribble in small spaces, there’s no contest FIFA all the way!!!

• ZENO says:

Fifa is easier?! okay i like fifa now since its more entertaining to play, pes is a proper football challenge. Half of the people who play will lose on beginner mode on pes. PES DOMINATED PS2. No doubt about it, fifa was the same old same old but now i prefer fifa on ps3 as i didnt like the whole new make-over of pes i prefer the old ps2 styled pes where we had name bars on the bottom, the power above it. for me now its fifa but hey if pes change back to old style id be all over it but atm deffo fifa for me.

7. Fabio says:

my biggest problem with PES is the licensed teams. game breaker for me.

• dean says:

I’ve used an update option file on usb that’s made it all correct. I’ve now got best of both worlds, licensing and great addictive gameplay!

• shadrack says:

True dat but besides fifa still leads,and they have all the naming rights and the commentators are so good that they even make a borring match entertainin,and pes sucks that’s 4 sure,bcoz they make players sweat before the match starts

8. Vik Kalia says:

You sound like an amateur mate. FIFA is light years ahead and the fact that you are not recognizing that proves your beginner level comments. Having been ISS/PES for a decade throughout various incarnations on the ps/ps2/ps3 I can tell you first hand,Konami dropped the ball! They are still a couple years away from catching up, unfortunately for them,if EA keep Being innovative and proactive as they are …….they ain’t catching up …. Ever!

• Harry says:

“You sound like an amateur mate.”

You did read my disclaimer before where I stated that I haven’t played a PES game until this one right?

Again your experiences may vary. If you have played PES for years and year upon end (like how I played Madden) it’s understandable to see where Konami fell off (like Madden did after 2K5). So without me having a reference point and me being new to the PES games, then I ahve to reference off of two games whose only relation is the sport they are emulating.

Please feel free as an expert to play and drop a line on this board telling all of us how you experience the game and your love for it.

• Matt R says:

I’m an amateur also….can you let me know how you get paid for playing these games???

No, thought not.

9. Forza FIFA Series This game is very realistic ..

10. Neil O says:

Playing FIFA 12 online is the great. Defending is TONS harder but I read somewhere the game’s new changes are more enjoyable when playing another person, not so much the AI. If you get bored of having the AI score goals on you (even in professional mode or below), try the online league. It’ll boost your morale. Peace

11. Chris H says:

I have to say, I’m a FIFA guy myself. Have been all my life. But, I was very surprised by the PES 2012 demo. It’s extremely good, and if proper team licencing was put in place, I would be buying that this year. But I’m going for FIFA again (even if I can’t stand the ‘realistic’ tackling system). Oh, and liking one or the other doesn’t make you better or worse than anyone else, so fanboys put your toys away and leave the comment section for serious gamers. We’ve not all 6 years old in the head…

12. football_lad says:

pro evo was the daddy back in the early 2000s then online came about and konami became lazy money grabbing idiots. If they would of fixed all the lag issues etc it would still be number one,but they keep churning games out and not fixing the errors. Because of that many turned to fifa which is now far superior and wipes the floor which pes hands down.

13. Tiny Dancer says:

Nice write-up, and for the people concerned about licensing I wouldn’t be put off by PES, fansites like WENB have great save files created very quickly after release to download onto PS3/360 and have all the proper kits and badges etc. Most of the leagues and teams are licensed anyway this year, it’s just the EPL that has a lot of unlicensed stuff in it. Also the upside of the lack of licensing is that the edit mode basically lets you do anything you want, you’re free to tweak player stats as you see fit, change hairtstyles, upload images for those reserve players who got the generic face treatment, create your own teams etc.

Oh and btw, PES 2012 actually does have a sub animation where you see the substitution take place, however you only get it sometimes, I think it usually happens when you take off a goalscorer or bring on a star player or something.

• John Jenin says:

Yes..Sub animation for substitution will come out when the score of the match is belong upon your side. Meaning the match you are playing you are the one who’s leading. Otherwise if your team is behind the scores,..no sub animation for you..TQ!

14. burnsey says:

Have to say I also havent played PES before – or at least not enough i.e. I have played on a friends before etc… BUT after downloading both demo’s for FIFA 12 & PES 12 that PES demo confirmed things for me, it seemed very slow compared to FIFA 12 (Yes I changed settings as well) the graphics don’t seem as good as and the licensing issues is a real downer for me – still reminds me of the day when the names werent even spelt out properly as they didnt have rights (e.g. Beckham was Beckhem, things like that anyway).

Maybe it’s because I have always been a fan of FIFA have been getting it ever since FIFA ’96 (think it was this 1) and I don’t give the game a chance, maybe I should rent ut PES to try it out BUT after comparing the demo’s FIFA is great again, I didnt think games could get better really (I own a PS3 by the way) as consoles can only go so far with what they can kick out we’ll have to wait for the next consoles to be released to jump ship to the better graphics) but FIFA 12 looks alot better players are looking more like the players (like they have been doing in past couple of years) EVEN Rooney’s hair transplant has been changed lol, the crowd look better and I have heard (not confirmed just rumoured) that you can sometimes interact with the fans. Also think that the subs look good as well the fact that you see 2/3 people changing rather than when you do 2/3 changes at same time only seeing one player go on/come off) I know that some might not be bothered by things like this but these games are supposed to be as realistic as possible so good to see this.

I also at 1st didnt like the change in the buttons to do the defending I have for – I dont know how long – used the O & X (A & B on 360) to do a standing tackle and bring a 2nd man to help – I have spoken to many friends who have thought the same thing – BUT once again like many games after a couple of games I got used to it and I actually think it’s better, I havent yet been able to drag someone back by their top (apart from the training you do at the beginning)

I havent been sent off yet or had an injury in the demo of FIFA.

everything just seems to work out better on FIFA and to be quite honest I dont actually know anyone personally who is a PES fan instead of a FIFA fan.

I’m looking forward to the youth academy and the players asking to be put on transfer now as they arent happy at being left on bench/reserves etc… will make things better

(P.S. do I get your job now lol)

15. lee robinson says:

i was pro evo all the way till i tried fifa 10 the gameplay blows pro evo away. now we have ultimate team which is the most adictive game ive ever played pro evo will never regain there crown untill they can deliver there own ultimate team experiance

16. Akin says:

Well Harry, great article on both competing soccer video games. I haven’t played any of pes 12 or fifa12 games but over the years of playing both games from ps1 to ps3. Pes seems backward a year or two. But like you point out, the graphics on the face, field of pes has always been ahead over fifa. In addition, the tournaments in pes is very nice. But the concept, the game play, the changing of tactics during a game (attack/defense mentality, offside trap, have wingers switch sides, etc) favors fifa than pes. How about the celebrations? There is a reason fifa over years is the most sold sports games. Now pes 12 might have improved from their previous pes which I haven’t played neither fifa 12. So can’t comment but I will personally lean towards fifa 12 base on history.

17. David says:

Everyone stop saying licensing is a game breaker in PES! Why? Well, because every year someone releases a mod on the PES forums that ‘edits’ all the teams in all the major leagues to be exactly the same as they are in Fifa. Including exact lineups/logos/team names/jerseys. All it takes is a total of 10 minutes to do it. Download it, put it on a flash drive, copy it your console, load it into the game settings and done. Never have to do anything else again, ever. It really is simple so you can’t use it as an excuse! Play the demo, see which gameplay you like better and decide based on that.

• Harry says:

I have to agree, took me a little more that 10 mins but yeah, within an hour the EPL was up and running on my machine. Go to PESgaming.com and look around and you can find what you need to do it.

18. paza says:

i have to say that the footie community is begining to tear about which one to get….

i pre-order fifa and pes.. always get both.. like both… BUT seems alot more negativity towards fifa on most community boards….

BUY BOTH and enjoy both…

otherwise ………..TRADE ! if you dont like.

19. john says:

it doesn’t even come close if you are an online gamer. Fifa pwns online play. If you just want to sit around and play AI all day then you should listen to this column.

20. Daniel says:

Open question:

regarding the manager modes, how do the two compare for depth of leagues? I generally choose 1 league and stick with it so it’s less important to me how many leagues are present but more important how deep? Ideally I’d like to start as a 4th division team (maybe lower) and slowly build up the team, getting promoted over several seasons. PES is generally bad at this but maybe this year is different?
    Along with that any aspect that promotes/allows for growing a team year after year (e.g. youth teams, stadium additions, hiring staff) is a big plus.

Can someone comment on this aspect? Like several people have mentioned, you can download edits that change PES to have accurately licensed teams so, to me, that is a non-issue.

• Harry says:

I can’t 100% answer your question because I haven’t gotten that deep but 2 things to keep in mind.

In PES you have a League Cup challenge you can play that’s just a vanilla franchise mode meaning you get all the bells and whisltes of having your favorite team, or you can play FootBall Life (Master’s League) where you can take a big franchise and start from scratch and bring in better players (by unlocking them) as you progress. You don’t have ANY of the top talent on your teams just mostly scrubs. Now if you want a challenge that is it right there.

21. moe says:

FIFA is Way better then PES. Gameplay, GFX, ONLINE, Teams ……….EVERY THING

22. MU19 says:

Used to play PES till 2008. Switched to FIFA series since 2009 & had never looked back.
    FIFA rules!!! PES gameplay looks like robots with glue on their feet.

23. Kearnkoff69 says:

I like your write-up, but I’d have to disagree with your statement that “FIFA feels aracadey.” PES was, for the longest time, the most realistic while FIFA was known as the arcadey, not quite competitor alternative. Since ’08 though, FIFA really has aimed at realism, and the new Tactical Defending system makes it so that the easiest and most arcadey part of the game, the “tomahawk missile” defending, is null and void. Defending requires patience and timing, and it is possible for the CPU to control the game for long amounts of time if you fail to knick if off them. I played both demos, but not the full games yet, and found PES was more fun going forward, because it is possible to score 35 yard screamers and maneuver around the opponent’s half much easier. If you’re looking for a sim, though, FIFA is the only game to get. The animations are, IMO, far superior (especially the dribbling and shooting animations) and the game is hard, even for veteran footie game players like me. You have to have patient build up and look for the killer through ball/cross, whereas in PES I was able to dribble through the defence and play a couple one-two’s, then put the ball in the back of the net. I’m holding out hope that PES will eventually regain its crown, as it is the footie game I grew up on. Until then, though, I’m sticking with FIFA for the realism.

It was good to hear someone else’s opinion, though, who isn’t a fanboy of PES or FIFA. Great write up

• Harry says:

Thanks!! and it’s good to read a few replies that makes sense!

• Steven says:

Hey can you put up a video of you playing a PES match and show me how just by dribbling and playing a few 1-2s you could net the ball. I have great difficulty in finding spaces to score goals in PES, however FIFA is much easier for me for it offers vast open spaces for me to dribble and score. Also more of my shots in PES are wayward (which is realistic as players actually miss a lot of chances) and 95% of my shots in FIFA tend to be on target (remaining 5% is because i overshoot the power bar)

24. Tuggie says:

PES is way more “arcadey” then FIFA. In fact PES is supposed to be more of an arcade like Socer Game, and FIFA is supposed to be more simulation. PES is okay, but FIFA really does edge it out in multiplayer and the resources EA has to put into statistics and newer additions like a great campaign.

25. Ryan M says:

What a ridiculous qustion if any person has either senn or played FIFA or PES they can see how PES is an absolute joke it’s graphics are so robotic it’s laughable and if anyone gets to play it it’s like they are actually machines not actual people on the pitch, whereas FIFA this year, while admitably more difficult to get accustomed to the defensive system is so definitively and clearly just an all round better game than the embarassment that PES is and has been for some time from Konami.

26. sohan says:

always Fifa:: fifa12

27. MU19 says:

Another post to prove a point. I’m living in Tokyo, Japan, home of the PES. PES 12 was released yesterday but there is still stock on the shelves. FIFA 12 was released this morning but they’re out of stock!!!
    FIFA rules, man!!!

28. Dani says:

Tbh, I always get both games every year…not because I can’t make up my mind, but because they each have stuff which I like which is not found in the other. For example, I get FIFA for the amazing online experience. I love playng Pro Clubs and Ultimate Team. They can get really addictive. But sometimes you get tired/ frustrated by noobs who ruin the experience and you decide to take a break and play offline meanwhile. That’s when I go to PES. The Manager mode is really deep and satisfying. Plus its got the CL and Europa league which for me makes it 10 times better. There’s no greater feeling than managing a mid table team to CL qualification and using that status to lure better players and increase funds. And most will agree here that PES is better offline coz the A.I is a lot better. It’s more dynamic and unpredictable as you can feel a difference between a Barca and a Stoke but in FIFA it gets too predictable and boring. On the flip side, PES’ online is pretty awful as the matches are usually lagged and apart from Master League Online, there isnt anything else to keep me hooked. So FIFA for ONLINE! and PES for OFFLINE.

• chris says:

Spot on, that’s exactly what I do for the same reasons. I have both and whilst I love the gameplay of both, FIFA does have the edge and fifa has a brilliant online set up. Pro evo on the other hand has the master league which makes fifa’s career mode appear dull and boring. Pro evo offline, FIFA online!

29. Cotes says:

Nicely put man…I read all & I agree with u
    I think I am gonna be playing PES more this year though…
    I got in PES 11 & the transfer & manager mode was real good & I wanna continue with it in PES 12
    FIFA is always gonna be favorite especially when u have friend over & u all trying find out who is top dog but the game modes are kinda lame for me…
    I just wish PES would change the damn commentators…

30. jinny says:

im sorry, fifa is the winner this year

and this is coming from someone who has played pes since the very epic PES 3

fifa passing, feel, animation, goalkeepers are all way ahead of pes

31. foxypie says:

I just think FIFA is more playable. Simples!

32. Alf says:

I bet pes will take the tactical defense system next year, same as 360 movement, shame
    Fifa all the way

33. Justin says:

As others have stated, I was a PES all the way person a few years back. However, since the transition to PS3/360 FIFA has moved way forward as where PES still somewhat feels like it did on the PS2 with minor upgrades each year. Back during the PES 4-6 days, FIFA at the time was horrible; you could score the most asinine goals, almost every cross was exactly to your man who would score regardless if the defender should of had it, passing and ball physics were atrocious, and the worst part of all players had almost no size difference (everyone was basically the same height and weight).

Enter FIFA 07 and EA’s new from the ground up engine, the game changer. Now FIFA 07 had some serious, and I mean serious flaws. When players collided they would bounce off each other like bumper cars do and you could score almost every single finesse shot from right outside the box. Even though I ended up playing PES that year, I still had to give EA credit for building a new engine from the ground up. To me this meant they had potential to greatly expand the locomotion engine introduced in 07. The one thing FIFA 07 had going for it over PES was that, because player animations felt less robotic than PES.

Enter FIFA 08, bumper car collisions fixed, no more always in finesse shots, and skill moves brought back. “Holy good lord, EA is actually trying to improve” I thought. Both games were good that year, but I found myself playing FIFA more then PES.

FIFA 09 – user controlled celebrations, better responsiveness, and addidas live season, I’m sold.

The final nail in PES’s coffin for me was FIFA 10 and then the World Cup edition. At this point I felt PES was nowhere near FIFA in all aspects.

Now, saying all that, PES 2012 is actually good, very good. It no longer feels as robotic as past PES games have, the flow of the game is rather good, passing feels nice, shooting feels good and so on. However, at this point PES and FIFA are not even in the same leauge. Think about the new defensive system in FIFA; PES players don’t like it because regardless of if they’ll admit it or not, the tomahawk missle defense tactic of old FIFA people speak of is actually something most of us learned from PES. I’m one of those people who use the alternate control setting in FIFA. Why? Because I was so used to not only shooting with the X button like in PES for all those years, but being able to easily hold down X and A when defending in order to have two defenders run down the person with the ball.

On the pitch accuracy I’d give to FIFA 12 hands down. The new defensive system and player impact engine really shine and allow the game to have that authentic flow and feel. Again, PES 2012 is very good as well and it really comes down to what you prefer and not necessarily which is more realistic.

34. John says:

PES is obviously better because you can always go online and download a patch to get all your teams licensed. Plus PES has pesstatsdatabase.com which updates player stats everyday you just gotta put the time into it.

35. mattyboomboom says:

Was thinking bout getting fifa 12, played the demo didn’t like the new tacking but looked around and found a solution on how to change it back to fifa 11 style.
    Yea anywayz was wondering if they have fixed that bug that has happened to me in every fifa game from 2005+, where after like 5 or 6 seasons in manager mode or virtual pro, the game will just freeze when loading in the calendar. And then you switch off the xbox start back up and it freezes on the exact same match no matter how many time u try then u have to start all over again. :’(

……… SOOooooooo …….. anyone know if this issue has been fixed yet? As I know it has happened to many xbox users.

36. M says:

Excuse me, but who says FIFA is “Arcadey”? Or did you just make it up? First of all, FIFA is clearly geared more towards simulation and Pro Evo geared towards fun. It has been that way for about two or three years now and NO ONE says FIFA is arcadey, which you slipped in there as if it’s a fact. Everyone actually says Pro Evo is arcadey. Which it is.

37. brad says:

PES2012 is such a great game, i must say ” pes is back with a bang ” . fifa is good too but pes is pure soccer

38. Frankie says:

Iv had both games since ps3 came out (and most for ps2). Fifa has gradually got better since 1999 (1998 RTWC was great) and PES was amazing, got bad on ps3 and gradually is (almost) back to its best – which for playabaility and feel (the most impoortant part for me) is far better thatn fifa 12. I do like Fifa 12 though especially the tackling, Just bought it today. But PES 12 demo is almost up there wirh PES 6 and for me its amazing. Fifas just to sluggish.

One last thing, anyone who thinks PES is arcadey and Fifas simulation, you seriously havent put the time into PES its far more rewarding and involves far far more skill for passing dribbling AND shooting. But Fifas 12 is better that 11.

39. Matt R says:

I’ve been playing both games for about 15 years now (since International Super Star Soccer!) and I’ve swung back and forth on this issue so many times. In the mid nineties I always chose Fifa because it was so much more polished but by 99-00 I moved on to Pro Evo because the game play was so much more realistic (no more pressing the shoot button from anywhere on the field and getting one on target….even when facing the other way!).

What I started doing was buying Fifa (it always comes out first in the UK) and then a few weeks later, trading in for Pro Evo and then keeping that until the following year…etc. However a year or two ago I found myself getting really disappointed with Pro and I would find myself trading back coime November/December so this year….for the first time ever….I’m sticking with Fifa because reading up on Pro it looks like there are no major innovations (again!).

In my opinion Konami have got really lazy because they think the fanbase is huge and loyal (which it is) but that will not last for ever and most of my mates (who, like me, were Pro fans) are now switching to Fifa because it is far more visually pleasing and the game play has caught up with, if not surpassed, pro Evo in recent years.

Having said that, its just my opinion, buy what you want, I don’t really care!

40. Jay says:

PES is awful… like someone said earlier, they look like they have glue on their feet. FIFA is such a polished football game compared to PES… I’ve never played PES before 2011, and at christmas I played PES for five minutes, got bored and never played it again. Opened FIFA and played ever since. Now that FIFA 12 is out, PES is crap.

41. Footballfreak says:

I’ve bought both and loving them !

42. Mick says:

Who cares if you love PES and if not, when you love FIFA and if not.

I played FIFA 10 back then, it was unmatched to the playability of PES 10. From that moment on, I started playing PES 11 and now I’m gonna get PES 12.

Saying PES is crap and suck, shows that there’s something good about PES that FIFA doesn’t have.

It’s a tough comparison. But to me, PES is more friendly. PES ftw.

43. Kieran says:

Pes 2012 has it all this year graphics, movement and fast paced football but shame about the unofficial teams though.

Fifa is unreal this year as well with the ultimate team mode but it too easy to score and get past people on fifa which has made it a less competitive game as there are lots of high scoring games. The ultimate team mode is well addictive and a lot of money can be spent to get your perfect team.

My verdict is have both pes for one player manger mode and fifa for ultimate team online and playing with mates

44. David G says:

I bought both so I’m not really biased
    PES

Pros:

Game still has some nice touches offensively over Fifa. I like that trapping the ball is more difficult and the computer isn’t so robotic and perfect

So far I feel like there’s still a bigger difference in players in PES than Fifa. Playing against Barcalona and Messi a true terror as his dribbling is insane compared to Gervinho.

Champs league is still pretty cool.

From what I’ve read the franchise mode is still deeper than Fifa’s

Defensivley teams play much more like they do in real life. Barcalona pressing very high up the pitch. West Brom sits back and defends.

Computer changes tactics, formations, and subs in differnet posisitons during the game. Late in a game if the computer is down you’ll see them really push forward and games will super open up.

You can trick the computer into fouls by moving the ball right before a tackle and things like that. You also get called for a foul if you just run into someone to try and steal the ball.

Cons

Online play is barebones compared to Fifa

You have to unlock the franchise mode by playing like 10 games in other modes. This is stupid.

Sports games always going to have strange player raitings, but Aaron Lennon really the top rated Spur? I don’t think any Spurs fan in the world would list him as the top player.

Waiting for option files sucks. Even then you’ll only have like 7 leagues total so besides the league you play in there’s no relegations or promotions and there’s a limited number of players to buy.

I don’t know if it’s because of the licencing but hardly any of the transfers from teh entire summer have gone through, and the update as soon as you put the game in (becoming an industry standard) doesn’t update them either. Fabregras still on Arsenal, and Spurs only have Fiedal for example The worst is since West Ham got relegated and they dont have Championship sides (only an option file will take care of that) there’s no Scott Parker in the game at all, so even if you wanted to transfer him over you can’t.

CPU offense is different but still not as it should be. Barcalona (i use them as an example cause they extreme in both offense and defense) still pushed forward way too much, crosses alot, and kicks the ball up the field.

Fifa 12

Pros

Obviously while not as important to me as gameplay, AI, and franchise mode the graphics are alot better. You get stuck in animations sometimes which I don’t like, but so far it’s minor.

Having all the teams, and leagues starting out is great. I’ll probably play a Tottenham franchise and some small team like Preston North End. Can’t do the second at all in PES

Again a smaller thing but having more stadiums is nice. I don’t kiow this for sure in 12 but Fifa always had teams with fake stadiums at least play in similar looking/feeling places. PES basically had like 12 EPL teams at the Emirates which while minor got old after awhile seemed weird have blackpool in a 60 thousand seater.

Online is better. I really like teh new online season thing were you and a friend play 10 game seasons against eachother and it keeps track of your record and goal difference against. So far Rich and I are both 1-1-1 with a GD of 0. I hope we finish game 10 tied with same goal difference and we go into extra time for the trophy.

Offensivley Barcalona (CPU) seems to play a little slower and make more back passes than in PES. That’s more realistic.

They’ve swung the defense massively in teh opposite direction from 11. So far I’m on board with the challenge. I’ll need more time, but hopefully this works out (fingers crossed)

Cons-

Players still seem pretty similar to me. Don’t feel a huge difference between David Silva and some midfield from Sunderland. In PES you feel it right away.

Defensivley I don’t know what the f*ck is going on. Nobody presses, Barca included, as they’ll drop all 10 players behind the ball. You can literraly stand in your own half for like 15 seconds before the computer will jog over. I understand trying to tone the spuer comptuer pressure down from 11, but PES has this down much better. Computer Defenders on your team are insane. This will cause things to be broken as they only really seem to start playing D in the final third. It appears that you’ll have to pretty much constantly switch on defense to have a shot on the harder levels. Hopefully this doesn’t feel like work once you get past the normal difficulty.

Tatics still feel like the dark ages compared to PES.

Both games- The keeper for both games are still straight nutters. Feel like Gomes back there.

Basically soccer fans seems to be getting short changed as if you combined both games you’d have a challenger to NBA 2k series for best sports game ever. Right now each game has some serious shortcomings.

If you could take teh graphics, online, stadiums, team licence and combine them with PES gameplay, champions/europa league licencing, tweak the CPU offensive play style in PES and add Football Manager like Franchise Mode you’d have the greatest game ever and basically you’d only need a single video game for the whole year. At least we have something to dream about.

• Harry says:

I agree with you about the option file issue. Thankfully within a day or so it was out and within no time the game felt whole.

I liked reading what you had to say about both.

Thanks!

45. rosnazli says:

of course i will buy pes..amaing gameplay

46. MMS says:

It is really hard to make a choice so I am getting fifa for the licences and pes for the graphics and realisticness!!!

47. tawkingjames79 says:

I own both games, I play pes everyday, I have tried to play fifa a bunch of times but cannot really get into it. Fifa just seems arcadey and stupid really. The players run like retards, there is no real strategy, the game just isnt very fun to me. Pes 2011 is awesome! From the stats of the players, and how they build, to the feel of passing and shooting, its just awesome. At first the game was harder than hell, (it still is pretty hard with difficulty settings) but when you get in there and score it feels like such an accomplishment, it really is rewarding. I wouldnt play fifa for free. But I am GLAD I bought Pes, worth every penny.

48. The Gaffer says:

A question for those who have played PES 2012. Where can I find a patch for the XBOX 360 that changes all of the names? I’ve googled it but either I find sites that are spam, sites that have old versions, sites that are too difficult to understand or sites that are in a different language.

Thanks in advance for your help!

49. fifa is de beste waroom omdat het gewoo zo is fifa heeft meer effect pes niet en fifa op de ps3 lijkt echt maar pes lijkt op een pop einde verhaal gast

50. nathan says:

PES is & has been an absolute joke for several years now. The canned,stale & robotic animations are terrible it feels like an arcade game compared to the Fifa series these days. The online component is totally broken in PES, Fifa online is brillant on the other hand. The only thing PES 2012 has going for it is the Uefa tournament licenses, which EA sold as a seperate game when they had the rights to them. Fifa 12 is by far the best sports game in the world(as the stats in terms sales,reviews and # of people playing online worldwide prove) a lame baskeball game couldn’t possibly hope to compete

• pavlos7 says:

fifa footbool no foootball. fifa its really sucks its for babys when i play fifa i cry for 2 days its real football seams like this ??thanks heaven….. noooooooooooooo.fifa its sucks i cant think how any one can play this unrealistic thing…….everything its bad in that game,thats why pes its the king because is realistic its like real football.only dummys plays fifa ,balotelli its the right person for cover of fifa, dummy guy for a dummy game

51. Shafi says:

The fundamental point is which game is better to PLAY! When you talk about a video game, it’s how the game is played not how it looks. PES is fun to play, you find it more harder to score and when you do score it’s such a buoyancy, it’s THE football game. Every person that’s says FIFA has better animation, licensing and prettier menu’s is a kid, because that’s what a kid looks for in a game!

And also note I didn’t mention graphics because PES had way better graphics, which I also think is fundamental in a game like this.

52. Raul says:

Its not easy to score in Fifa 12 quite the opposite is true the defenders don’t give you much space and you really have to be patient to try to thread the perfect through-ball. In PES 2012 its quite easy to dribble past 2 or 3 players with skillfull player like Messi or hit a ball from 30 yards out & its far more likely to end up in the back of the net. Its also much easier to win the ball back from the A.I in PES while its damn hard to do so in Fifa 12.
    Fifa is defintely the better simulation with realistic animations all-around. And much better online play with its 11v11 be a pro offering among many other things make Fifa 12 the deeper more enjoyable game to play.

• Laura says:

well, seems you compare different levels. One Tip: change dificulties on both game will change this imagination. However. I like both of these games, but prefer slightly PES due to DYNAMICNESS!!!

53. Lee says:

FIFA 12 is the best by far i think. couple of years ago i was a evo fan but than i made the switch to FIFA and havnt looked back. It just feels better i think, more realistic.

Also managed to learn of the tricks and flicks now, thanks to the help of http://www.howtofifa.com

54. SSS says:

I am a fan of both games and I buy them both every year and choose to play the one that seems better, so I think I can provide an objective feedback.Last year FIFA 11 kicked the living hell out of PES 11 with out a shadow of a doubt but this year the contest is a bit better from PES and honestly after droping PES since 2009 I think I am having a change of heart towards PES this year. In the previous threads I read many people dislike the fact of messi having the ability to dribble past three of four players or scoring from outside but isnt this what messi does in real life hasnt any one watched barca vs manutd and saw villa and messi goals or hasnt any of you watched the supercopa match madrid vs barca and saw villa shot these things happen in football and after trying both games u wont see such goals FIFA12 its too rare and they happen more often in PES every 10 tries a good player can score 2 or 3 coz this is football some time u get wonders goals its not always buildup and crosses.

Now for the reality play which ev1 has been talking about this is what made the game worse and not better for 1 reason in PES 2012 u feel the difference when playing with barca or with madrid or milan or any big team in FIFA you dont the reality system implemented relies on timing and how much power in other words its beatable and you can beat any team with any team no more difference relying on players so it wont matter if its gerrard or charlie adam or alonso or xavi or iniesta or sm1 from league C passing the ball u can still make a killer pass if you time it correctly also ur dribbles dont rely on ur opponet beating pique is way easier than beating kosielny but in FIFA 12 u can beat any defender its a matter the timing on which u press the controls this practically kills the game u dont feel the difference between the players where is the reality in that

The online system in FIFA is astonishing but the AI system sucks u cant play at home just for fun any team ur facing plays possession football better than barca and this isnt realistic… Any way in my humble opinion football games isnt counter strike on an aiming game where everything relies on the player and his timing in football games ur recreating teams in real life some teams rely on counter attack other possession….. playing with a 95 million star is different to playing with a 10million player which what we dont get with in FIFA 12…. So for me its PES this year

55. Habibullah Khan says:

First of all thank you for a detailed comprehensive review. I scoured the net looking for a genuine viewpoint and this is the only one I have found.

I spent many hours playing both. To make sure my judgement is not biased I recruited someone who used to love PES and is now a FIfa fan to play with me. Yeah PES 11 to FIfa 11 was a loss for PES. Yes the licences still matter no matter what people say as EPL is miles ahead of other leagues in its global following, but give PES 12 a chance because to us it has the edge over Fifa 12.

I have watched proper football for close to three decades. Every weekend I watch at least 5 live games, sometimes more. PES seems the more realistic both when you attack and when you defend; how your players react, how the rest of the team moves with you and the fluidity of the game play. Fifa 12 just seemed slower in responses and slower in its AI as to where the rest of your team mates should be. PES seemed more natural.

It is possibly true that Fifa 12 is harder now but harder is not realistic. I suspect Fifa is falling into the trap where it hypes its advances technically but by trying to make its games differentiated from their predecessor they end up increasing the learning curve and causing the collateral damage of fun game play and simple elegance of the beautiful game. Its ironically what PES did when it was superior many years ago. Perhaps we all become what we despise.

Do NOT base your decision on the reviews. In this case they require threshold football fan experiences many reviewers simply dont possess. After pulling an all nighter we have decided to stick with PES for regular game play. What I will say is give each game a chance in a proper demo. Clean your heart of biases and just see which one you enjoy more. PES and Fifa makers are both making money and putting out good games, Our choices impact them but they’ll be ok. The real shame would be if you play one game while you could be enjoying another one more!

56. Brian says:

I have always played football games. When it comes to playing with your friends, it almost doesn’t matter. Play PES6 right now and it’ll probably suck, play it with your friend and you could play it all day.
    On my own however, since FIFA 08 I have played both the Konami and the EA Sports offerings. Except for last year when FIFA11 was just the better game, I swear it felt like PES was incomplete.
    *Internet gaming does not influence my opinion in any way. I live in Kenya(Africa) and broadband internet is expensive.

57. Jonathan says:

I play both tbh play pro for the master league its the best but play fifa for UT as friends have it and its good to play them, but i have to say i play pro more but fifa is getting better i know, oh pulling another player in to help defend as bin on pro since 2006 so thats not new (to fifa yes, but not new) but have to end this with fifa and pro are matched some stuff better in one and better in other fact hopefully next year one will be better and i can saved so money.

58. colincee says:

pes no contest mibbi it fails but least its more realistic haha ye hurt players wen u slide fifa you just go threw them! as if there ghosts

59. greyfoxNL says:

To be honest I think this is a pretty good article.

I like both games but prefer PES. The commentary is utter crap and the licensing is also shit but the gameplay is just excellent.

If I have to name one point where PES sells me over it’s gameplay. PES is much more dynamic than Fifa and scoring a goal has alway felt so much more rewarding in PES.

I also don’t like the fact that if you play with smaller teams absolutely none of the players look like their counterparts in FIFA (clubs like Ajax, Psv, Anderlecht).

But I absolutely love the animations in Fifa those make it look so real. I also love the commentary which is lightyears ahead of PES….

60. stealthops93 says:

if you want a good footballgame buy pes because fifa online sucks they wistle constantly for offside you have the half of the match no ball posession bad defence you just can outdribbel with 1 player from the worst team an entire team like barcelona

61. hassan says:

i have been playing pes for 7-8 years .but now i think fifa is really better than pes .and i think pes 2012 is not good at all and it’s worse than 2011!

62. gg says:

i play both .. but by christmas most fifa fans will be bored.. always happens.. reviews and sales dont determine shit.
    reviews are by one persons opinion , and look at dragon age 2 ! …
    sales, will favour the game marketed the most in this case FIFA. millions buy the cod series , and then half of them complain , and now we have them saying that battlfield is better quality.
    And PES sales better in european countires than it does in the UK.

overall i play both games, i will return to fifa when they patch it up by xmas… i will not buy a fifa game on release again…. id rather wait for a month or so ,

63. Harry says:

Wow!! 81 comments!! Thanks guys, keep it going!

64. Mark says:

Played both and I think I can safely say neither of them are good.
    Both are average at the very best.Dont waste your money.

65. micky burns says:

I have both games and can tell you PES is better then FIFA.

66. Alice says:

This is a professional game currency recharge site, fast delivery, excellent after-sales service, full tracking your goods, try to meet your needs, hope it makes your life more exciting.

67. Leo Messi says:

this years… PES / WINNING ELEVEN 2012 is far better than previous, smooth gameplay, strategy.. I said .. in PES/WE 2012, I play Barcelona and they like FC Barcelona in real life… now I can play tiki taka , ball possesion .. with more passing – moving.. and some one – two passing… very good, and Messi scores like he scores a goal in real life!!… this year -> PES2012 / WE 2012 is the winner!

68. Fifa is better says:

I have Fifa 2012 and I have played PES 2012 demo. All I can say is WTF happened to PES?!?!

Both games could do with some improvements. The new ‘collision’ system in Fifa is buggy and when players collide it seems exaggerated at times. PES the gameplay is ok but feels like they have completely changed the look and feel of the game from its glory days.

If you want a decent, simulation football game overall – go Fifa, if you want more crazy goals [fun?] go PES. Overall Fifa is the better game. PES just seems to be going backwards yet trying to go forwards.

69. Ivan says:

First of all, let me thank everyone who has participated in this site for helping me choose between both games. Can somebody please tell me what does it mean that PES isn’t licensed? and what would I have to do to make it better? How’s the experience online? I wanna play with some friends that are in different countries. I’d appreciate any help.

• harry says:

What it means is that PES doesn’t have the license to all the teams in the game hence you will have to find and install mods that will give you all of the team licensing and players.

70. montel says:

fifa is better by miles pes gameplay is sooo fake the graphicks are crap evri thing is sooo bad. i wonder y pple compare fifa to pes kuz fifa is better al the way…………:)

71. AdamChims says:

Just buy both, play and rate them,,,,,by your own thought.

thank you EA, thank you Konami for all the great games.

72. LOS says:

fifa is dead…. pro is the winner all day long, u fifa man jus cant play pro cus it takes real skill to play, not no fake sh*ttt !!!! f u k fifa long live PRO !!!!!!!!!!

73. tintinchiggie says:

OBVIOUSLY MOST PEOPLE WHO HAVE COMMENTED ON THIS ARE JUST THE GAYEST PEOPLE ON EARTH!!!!!!! how can you fu*king like PES. its a waste of money. you might as well go suck on an egg FIFA FTW

74. CTBlues says:

For those who play video games on their PC’s EA’s Origin service has Fifa 12 on sale for $16.00 plus tax until November 7th.

75. kako says:

Dribbling and walking past defenders is way too easy in FIFA 12. FIFA is hands down more arcadish.

76. MAvrick says:

fifa 12 vs pes two best soccer game and i played both but i suggest fifa 12 best football game ever rating these
    game fifa 10/10 but pes got 6/10 fifa is great game i am expert of game and i suggest fifa 12 or fifa 09

i am a game expert from uk fifa is best

M@/R!(K

• Alex says:

10/10 for defenseless midfielders and overwhelming shorties like Aguero to beat ferdie and vidic in high balls?

that’s purely ridiculous in FIFA. even though PES sucked for years on PS3 platform, FIFA is still far from realistic! It simply simplified the details and confined the freedom of play to minimize the chances of bugs and errors…

PES could at least get a 8/10 this year for all the neatness and bug-free upgrades~

And yes like a few said above, PES2012 does feel like the PES in good old days, Konami guys must have re-played previous pes on ps2, i felt they summarized all the past glories and cleaned most of the bugs and YES the new interface and match screen and feints system as well as camera angles, all of which together make a more realistic match in 2012 are of the only memorable legacy from the awkward 2011~~

PES2012 to some, me included, is the BEST PES of all time!

77. Spayman says:

Actually, PES really DOMNIATED the ps2 in it’s time.
    you could check google for both games sales on that console. FIFA was a dead game, no kidding.
    maybe that was because of graphics knowing that FIFA graphics on ps2 were a joke! (check youtube)
    Any way, i love competition. and am so glad that FIFA catched up, that way PES gets forced to be better :)
    Victoreous: EA SPORTS.

78. AG says:

I dont think none of them has a great advantage over the other one. it depends on which one you can play better. i have been playing PES recent years and my nephew has been playing fifa. so when i play with my nephew he claims that PES is shit because i can easily drible him and i remember it was always a headache to play fifa with him because his shots easily found my net when he used the finess shot ( especially in fifa world cup 2010 ) .
    both of them are great games, so i think we cant compare them in general and say which one is better, just could say what are the differences.

79. Axel says:

PES is real football, you could tell it by the feeling. A player could do a 35m screamer ? boateng did that 3 weeks ago. Messi get past 2/3 player ? that is what he did each game.
    FIFA is not realistic, the gameplay is too robotic. PES all the way.

80. Sam says:

im surprised no body has complained about the new impact engine in fifa 12. yes, the idea is very nice and, but if you want to do something, atleast do it right. sometimes players get tangled together when you tackle someone, and you see the ball rolling away while youre still trying to get urself free, and the bumping into each other and just other little annoying stuff about it. the refereeing is crappy, in one game the AI got 3 penalty kicks when i barely touched them, not for sliding and dropping them on the floor, just for a simple tackle or push, and that may also be due to the flaws in the impact engine. this gets very frustrating, especially when a game is on the line. the gameplay is nice, but you start feeling that your AI on attack is either dumb or slow. there isnt much creativity with your AI. so many times i scream my lungs out for the AI to make an opening or figure what kind of play im trying to make. and you dont get that individuality in players. they couldve added a bit more individuality into players, they did an ok job with players such as robben and messi and how they run or dribble, but not that well. and the through passes need are not that accurate. as for the new defense system, its nice, and keeps you on ur toes, but i think sometime slides are a bit too slow and sometimes players get TOO committed to slides and tackles. sometimes i slide and get the ball away from the player, but the slide takes too long and my player gets up slowly, that the same player i got the ball from gets the ball back. the game is very nice, but its not great and people should stop making Fifa 12 sounds so freaking amazing. if they just work on cleaning some of the problems in this game for next year, then FIFA 13 would be a great game.

81. shah says:

I was the fan of PES untill 2012, The during gameplay of fifa 12 is more realistic while it still have some lacks but PES 2011 was a lot better than pes 2012, try it.

you can compare pes 11 with fifa 12

82. Xxxxx says:

I really liked pes 2011 , th graphics were amazing, but after I saw what they did to pes 2012 graphics , I throwed pes 2012 away and got FIFA 12 graphics were amazing so is the gameplay ,advice for people who can’t make up their mind : FIFA 12 is your game

83. gerry says:

Fifa is ok for people with a lack of footballing intelligence, this is why so many Premier league footballers play it.
    PES is for REAL football gamers, if you like FIFA, you must be a fan of balloon style balls. I stopped playing with the floating balls when i was a kid.

84. john says:

pes 12 at online game is sack big time.
    the are cheaters that wen loosing disconecting all the time and konami do nothing about it.
    wen the cheat you you are loosing monye time points,all.
    pes 12 online is a big time loosing

85. gurnoor says:

i have played both for the past 5-6 years…. FIFA wins in commentary, licensed teams and stadiums…
    pes wins in terms of game play… its more fluid.. its more of a team game. the entire team is involved.. no stupid wrong passing… good players deliver good crosses n bad players cannot quite make such crosses n passes…

the real test in pes n fifa is when u play with a very weak team against the team like manu arsenal chelsea milan etc… in fifa what i really find stupid is that players have a very similar ball control.. bt in pes its much more realistic… n i feel after real football pes is the next best thing. fifa cannot compete with it…

no stupid player collisions in pes… and player movement is much more fluid… like mata or pato with mazing runs… they tend to play with defences jus like real players do.. i have never seen something like this in fifa… the LS is always on left n RS is on right always… when was the last time we saw that happening in a live game… goal keepers are like demi-gods in fifa… they can simple catch even very hard hit shots from the top of the D… what r they… sons of superman… so i cannot sacrifice superior gameplay for commentary (which i tend to mute most of the times as i like to play my own music while playing) and real club line-ups…

so for me pes all the way…

PS: we all have diff choices and as one of you mentions.. fifa is liked by ppl who have no actual knowledge of soccer… well i do tend to agree to certain point. me n my frnds were fifa die hard fans until we played pes.. n as one of my frnds says “fifa is for boys pes is for men”

just my opinion… we all have a different one…
    cheers :)

86. izunauchiha says:

Both game are sh*t, why? They divided the whole good thing, so each one has good and bad. T_T so personally Im not really into soccer and Im a fans of soccer during my younger years. So what I think is that I’ll try FIFA, fifa will mostly suitable for fun with commentary, as if you’re watching a real match on TV but you’re controlling them, PES12 on the other hand, if you dont like commentary and animation, but you prefer the quality of gameplay then this is for you, so I’ll go on this one after awhile ^^

87. 6767 says:

Personally if you like a football game with everything correct kit wise , boot wise , game mode and tournaments go for FIFA but if you like making your own team and playing with a kit made by yourself then go for PES.
    But if your on PS3 and Xbox then FIFA is your game
    Wii PES
    PSvita both.

88. Gboy says:

You do know about the edit patches I’ve never played PES without it. The last fifa game I bought was 98, I played ISS Pro and never looked back after that it was Winning eleven and pro evo so on. The AI is much better in pro fifa has us for commentary but as for kits, boots cups and players faces there is a patch that fixes everything, and truth me they soon have a patch for commentary.

89. Ball says:

winning eleven or pes are the game which made by soccer fanatics.

whereelse fifa 12 is more like full action game, where the people who made fifa 12 love national football league better than soccer. Thats why fifa game is full of high trajectory kick

90. Etienne D says:

Hello,
    I had only played to fifa during I can hold a lever, and know I’d like to try something else so is PES worth it?
    I thank you

91. Barry Grant says:

Personally I’ve been a fifa baby from fifa 98. But now it ‘s clear for me. Pardon my french but fifa 12 is utter bs. i mastered the tactical defending, so don’t even think it’s the lack of experience. The review done by harry is relatively accurate of the both games, but the gamebreaker for me every year with fifa is the sluggish controls. pes is eons ahead in that category. Being a footballer……A REAL LIFE FOOTBALLER, some moves and plays require split second timing and really and truly PES is a footballer’s game. You really feel like you’re the field and your teammates gel with you. No L1 to send players….lolz. Do you really see that in real football? Come on.. PES all the WAAAY!!!

92. aaron says:

buy both, and find out yourself….

93. Nathan Jarvis says:

I have played both my first fifa game was 2002 World cup on the gamecube but my first PES game was 2008

94. Charlie says:

definitely go for PES 2012, the graphics are better, you have more control of players, it just feels better

95. jackmikeMon says:

Look, the main problem I have with Pes, is that Konami states that there is total control and freedom to play, yet they cannot even sort out the crossing. Many times in matches, I’ve felt so frustrated due to the way in which I just cannot put the ball where I want, and this is especially the situation when crossing into the penalty area – there is just no control…it’s like the second you hit the cross button, you know the ball is going to go anywhere but a team-mate. I love pes in so many other ways, but this issue is just one of many that leaves the game unplayable for me, it’s just feels like many have said before – completely unpolished.

If you compare this with the likes of Fifa, which provides the option to use a system where the player can control every aspect of the cross – including power adjustment – the result is much more satisfying.

But like I said, this is not to say that I don’t love pes for a variety of other reasons – I personally believe the visuals are far superior, and the camera angles, and the minor details such as cameramen in the background etc. have a much more cinematic feel than fifa.

Now it’s just such a shame that Konami seem to fail to pull it off each year – I buy pes thinking “are Konami going to get it right this time?” but nope, there is always something really annoying or frustrating that leads me back on to playing fifa.

To sum it all up, I’ve come to the conclusion that niether PES or Fifa are ‘perfect’ football games. They’re are far from it, because they simply do not represent the way in which a real football match plays. Fifa definately doesn’t. Yes, they are fun to play admittedly…but they’re obviously going to be because they are the only two options gamers around the world have of actually being slightly close to controlling a football match, but to be honest I’m most looking forward to the next generation of consoles in several years before I can can really start taking football gaming seriously.

96. JD says:

bought both, both have their downsides. But pes 2012 edges the win for me.
    I feel like the ball on fifa is a volley ball, way to arcade like for me..

97. JG says:

Fifa 12′s graphics are waaay better! Also they have more teams you can choose from.
    In pes 12 you can’t do tricks or feints like konami said you could.
    In fifa, tricks and feints are easy to do.
    Also when I play fifa, the enemy player touched the ball with his hand and I got a free kick because he got handball. In pes 12, when the enemy touches the ball, the game continues. It doesn’t stop.
    So what is the point of playing pes when it isn’t even realistic! I got fifa 10 and I thought it sucked.
    So I got pes 12 and it sucked balls more than fifa 10!!! I regret getting pes 12. When I got fifa 12, IT WAS SOO AWESOME!!!

98. Mohammmmmmmmad says:

FIFA is the best of course. PES is also good but it cannot be as well as FIFA is. FIFA can easily win it……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..I used to play PES till my friend suggested FIFA and from that day on I haven’t played it…
    FIFA is the best especially with KAKA

99. Barry Grant says:

@ Jackmikemon.. ur right they’re flaws in both games but imo fifa’s flaws are ridiculous. they need a real and i mean “real: footballer to get on their programming team. None of these so called soccer players from the states. (No offence but you guys suck.) They need to get a real pro who can explain what and how it feels like on the field. A “real” field.

100. Nachung says:

Thumbs up for both such 21st century video games…imo both are same..when i m bored, i go for pes..but m a hardcore gamer and m a pro…so more often i practice wid fifa . And m a champion at fifa..pes not really….fifa tornments are held often in our place…pes sheldom..but i keep both versions every time they r released..play or dont play…m a soccer fan..

101. jonathan says:

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111

102. bbba says:

f**ck fifa 12 .you should throw your fifa in your toilet and buy a pes 2012 …the best football game in the world.

103. Micro says:

f**ck fifa 12 .you should throw your fifa in your toilet (OR DELETE IT ON UR MC) and buy a pes 2012 …the best football game in the world, AGREEEDDDD………!!!!!!!!!