FRI, 2:30PM ET
FRI, 8PM ET
CHI
HOU
FRI, 8:30PM ET
USA
MEX

Poll: Would You Prefer Your Club to Win the Title or England to Win Euro 2012?

Some greeted this past weekend’s international break, which saw England brutalize Bulgaria but wiggle past Wales, as an unwelcome intrusion on the new Premier League season. We’ve often read about the tension players feel in prioritizing club or country duty, but, as evidenced by the longing for domestic action to resume, it’s evident that we feel a similar tension in rooting for club or country.

Sure, this past weekend didn’t feature many scintillating matches, but most were crucial for Euro 2012 qualifying. While all Englishmen may dream of the Three Lions lifting the World Cup again or becoming European champions for the first time, sometimes it feels as if some don’t want to watch the matches it takes to reach those summertime tournaments.

It’s not as if every match in Manchester United’s march to their 19th league title last season was a glamour tie against one of their Big Four (or Big Six if you believe Sir Alex) brethren. So it goes that England must sometimes play mirthless matches in the far reaches of Europe on their path to the real fun next summer. It’s all part of the journey.

At one time, international play took precedence over league play for players and punters alike. These days, it’s not quite as clear.

Do you find the international breaks to be unwelcome interruptions in the Premier League season? And, bigger picture, would you rather see England win Euro 2012 or see your club win the Premier League? (Voting unavailable for Manchester United supporters who have seen the club win every gong imaginable).

This entry was posted in England, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Poll: Would You Prefer Your Club to Win the Title or England to Win Euro 2012?

1. Andyb says:

I’m Welsh, and to me international football comes first.

I’d rather see Wales qualify for a major tournament than my club team to win the title, without a doubt.

2. The Gaffer says:

Andy, I’m Welsh too but I would definitely prefer for Swansea to win the Premier League over Wales winning a major tournament such as the European Championship.

Neither is going to happen in our lifetimes, but having a Welsh team win the league would be a greater achievement in my opinion over the course of an entire season versus a string of matches in a summer tournament.

And as EPL Talk reader Dan Kulpa wrote on EPL Talk’s Facebook page, “Club title [is more important]. FIFA has made international play a joke.” I completely agree.

3. Kevin says:

Why pose this question on a site where most of the readers aren’t English?

I don’t give a damn whether or not England win a World Cup.

4. Greg says:

tough poll for this site, as most americans will surely say they’d rather see their epl club of choice win.

that being said, from an outsiders perspective, I would love to see those poor fans of England football finally relish in the joy of an International victory.

5. MUFC77 says:

No chance its United > Ireland for me and it always will be. As for England winning Euro 2012 I think i might actually rather have City win the league than have England win a major trophy.

6. Marvellous says:

I’d prefer Arsenal winning EPL than England getting to
    1/2 final of a major competition.

7. nick says:

I think it probably also depends on what team you support. If you’re regularly winning then its easier to select england winning a tournament because that doesn’t come around too often.
    The rise of club football (compared to international football) also means we get to see better quality football at club level versus at international level where you have good quality football in later rounds of tournaments or the odd good group in qualifications.

I would like to see my club win the premiership over england win the euros. I think the number of foreigners in the epl might also have an effect on people’s attitudes because when the premiership was mostly english players (british players) supporting england created an us versus them standpoint when playing other countries but now with all the stars we have seen in the premiership its weird to be against certain players at international level then chant their name the next weekend for your club. I could never really not support bergkamp, pires, henry etc. just for international matches when i support them for most of the year. And selfishly I wanted Frimpong to select to play england versus ghana so he wouldn’t have to leave during the middle of the season to play in the african cup of nations ever other year and not because he is what england needs in the future. Club football all the way!

8. MNUfan1991 says:

I’m not English, so my support for England in Euro 2012 is about the same as that of Elbonia in World Cup 2014.
    United>>>Ingurland

9. Justareader says:

For all the non England fans, what if this question was asked? Would you rather have your club team win their domestic title, or your country win the World Cup?

10. Mike USA says:

Boy you guys over here at EPL really love your podcasts. First Laurence McKenna talking about the football ramble on yesterdays EPL talk and now this poll taken straight out of The Score’s podcast from September 7th.

11. Fabio says:

I voted England but I mean Portugal over Chelsea (Country over club)

12. Ivan says:

Country over club, not even close. Sadly, I don’t think I will see Bulgaria make the cut for a major competition in my lifetime, Euro cup or World Cup. We are so damn awful these days. I do have a legitimate chance of seeing Liverpool lift the Prem trophey in my lifetime. We shall see.

13. DempsyISFulham says:

I never want to see England win a world cup or Euros title as they are the most arrogant annoying fan base in world soccer (though the Mexican fan base is a close second)…I was never a fan of the England national team but after the draw for the 2010 world cup and the reaction by all English fans that they had the easiest group and they were going to romp over the USA and win the group with ease made me completely despise them..not only English fans thought for a second they wouldn’t lose or tie the match, the media was having a field day with headlines they would win the group with ease. It made the US tie with England all the more satisfying…as for the question I’d rather see the club I support win the EPL over England winning anything but if the question was rephrased to “would you rather have the country you support win a title or the club team you support win their league title then I’d of course go with the USA winning the world cup over Fulham winning the EPL though neither will happen for me in my lifetime & I’m only 26!!

• Reborn says:

No offence mate, but a true England side would of merked that group. We all knew that, but since the press was so busy trying to play sides, they failed to realise that most of us had no faith in the squad and manager.

I lost faith a long time ago, but still have that glimmer of hope. It seems even the fans sing our anthem that little bit softer nowadays..

Things are different in the states, as you know footie is becoming quite popular, however the one thing about yanks is they will support anything that says “USA”. Not saying its a bad thing, but that my friend is the difference.

All Hail Rob Green.

14. Jonathan says:

As an American, I don’t care who wins Euro 2012. I’ll watch all the games and root for certain players to well but not going to be too upset if any particular country wins or loses it. I’m a Liverpool fan, I’d love for them to win the Premier League title, but I’d choose USA soccer winning the World Cup (don’t laugh too loud) or even the Gold Cup (which I know, Europeans laugh at). In my opinion, most people would take country over club.

15. Ben says:

I am a Manchester United fan so winning the league, we are used too it so I would definetely prefer Poland winning the Euro Polska Polska Polska here we come!

16. IanCransonsKnees says:

Never going to happen until the top 4 dissappear off in their Global Super League (the day will come) but I’d take a Stoke win over England. I don’t care about the England football team they fill me with no pride and are picked on name not merit. Rugby on the other hand, fantastic. Am just off to the gym to get back in time for England’s first world cup game. Being a Stoke fan I can obviously understand rugby better than most football fans, Ryan Shawcross is starting in Dunedin today after Arsene ‘sausage jockey’ Wenger tipped Martin Johnson the wink.

Saying that once the racist chanting starts against the English players at Euro2012 & WC 2018 I’d support them out of solidarity.

17. Reborn says:

Winning aside, I would love to see England play with some passion/determination/sticklodgeddeftlyuptheirbacksides.

In the end of the day it seems that the only competition worth mentioning is the champions league.

Could care less about the league.

“Community shield anyone?”