WED, 2:45PM ET
LIV
WBA
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
NEW

Umbro Makes Donation To Help Man City Supporters Clubs in Sierra Leone

On a day when Plymouth Argyle players are considering going on strike because they haven’t been paid in ages, it’s a breath of fresh air to hear about a feel-good story for a change.

Manchester City have been making inroads into Sierra Leone, a country that is the twelfth-lowest-ranked country on the Human Development Index and eighth-lowest on the Human Poverty Index. City have established a network of supporters groups in the country, and have been working with Umbro to give much-needed soccer equipment to many of these impoverished people.

Watch the video to learn more about Umbro’s donations as well as to watch a video of former Manchester City player Paul Lake, who is an ambassador for the club.

Hats off to Umbro and Manchester City for doing good deeds in a country where former City player Craig Bellamy has a soccer academy.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester City. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Umbro Makes Donation To Help Man City Supporters Clubs in Sierra Leone

1. Tuttle says:

(Best Roy Keane voice) All credit to spell-checking, but ‘inwards’ should probably be ‘inroads’. Thank you.

2. DP3 says:

This is a problem I see with a lot of articles on this site. The attempt to make some type of correlation between two completely different situations. What does the Plymouth Argyle strike situation have to do with an article about Sierra Leone?

3. Arsenic says:

great. another generation of glory-hunters in far-flung places that have no connection to English clubs or can’t even speak the language. The only reason that they will support either United, Chelsea, or City is because they want to be part of trophy-winning teams. I’m glad I chose Arsenal over Manchester United as a supporter because I would hate to be labelled a glory-hunter. It sickens me how many people wear United or Barcelona or Inter jerseys in the USA, especially where I live in Austin, TX. And these same people are reluctant to support the Longhorns football team because they aren’t National Championship contenders and are in rebuilding mode.
    Typical Yanks mentality. That’s why they don’t watch their national team because they expect them to a win a World Cup all of a sudden. Sade really. they want to show off to their friends, “Look my team won the [insert competition name]“.

• [OPTI] Madschester United says:

“I’m glad I chose Arsenal… because I would hate to be labelled a glory-hunter”
      — what an inane statement of utter ignorance about EPL and British football and it’s history.

Go back to NFL, they need your kinds of fans ;)

• Evan says:

“I’m glad I chose Arsenal… because I would hate to be labelled a glory-hunter”
      Are you fu**ng joking???
      Arsenal is the only team never to be relegated.So you’ve never felt the pain of that.
      Arsenal having gotten CL football for the past billion years. They’re continually finishing in the top four. They are a traditionally big club.

City fans like me have been all the way down to the 3rd division and have seen the club close to collapsing.
      Now that we have money we’re suddenly “glory hunters”?

You’re a joke of a fan. You shouldn’t even be posting on this website.
      You’re a disgrace to all Arsenal fans.

• Taimur says:

What he meant to say was that fans OUTSIDE of England who don’t know the history of the club?? The fans inside England like you are not being talked about. He’s talking about this people in Middle East and Far East Asia who brand out kits of European footballing giants without ever having spoken the language the country the club belongs to speak or knowing the history.

• MNUfan1991 says:

I grew up in the Far East and my family have been watching United since the days of Sir Bobby, the Lawman, and Bestie. You are welcome to keep your stereotyping to yourself. Thank you very much.

• MNUfan1991 says:

Um… did you grow up next to Highbury? If not, welcome to the world of glory-hunting.

Oh, yeah, never in a bajillion years would I support my local team, New Jersey Red Bulls. Not as long as le Cheat is still in the team.

• Why? says:

Wow they were watching English matches on TV in the Far East in the 60′s and 70′s you couldn’t even do that in England. They didn’t televising them fully till the 80′s unless it was the FA cup final of course but I can’t recall Utd wining that with those players. Back then you had to do a strange thing and actually go and watch them there was NO other way to see them!
        What does the 1991 stand for after your sign in name?

• MNUfan1991 says:

English football actually started making inroads into the Far East in the 60s, more or less coinciding with their World Cup victory. That helps explain the huge contingent of EPL fans in East Asia–when they were exposed to foreign (quality) football EPL is far and away their choice. Most support United and Liverpool because these are by far the most successful domestic clubs during the expansion of EPL in Asia.
          Obviously back in the 60s and 70s televised matches are few and far between–only spectacles like the FA (semi-)finals would be televised live. Once in a while an odd league game or two would be broadcast, oftentimes tape-delayed. Nevertheless, given the popularity of football and the quality of play (and the influence of the colonial overlords… it must be added) English teams became very popular. Not until the mid 90′s when it became possible to watch every single English league and cup game, live, on cable TV. In contrast, until FS+ we in the US are stuck with whatever FSC decided to show on TV. You support another team? Go find yourself an internet feed.
          ps. I became an United supporter in 1991, therefore my handle.

• Why? says:

I just can’t get my head round how they watched games at this time that were simply just not televised any where! By the way Utd were certainty not the most successful of the 70′s or 80′s they were pxss poor in the 70’s to say the least.
            Only the FA cup finals were televised to my knowledge and I was of they opinion that football became massively popular in Asia after the Word cup in Japan and Korea in 2002 and not 1966 as you say. I can never even remember so much of a far Eastern fan mention ever thought the 80′s or even most of the 90′s until the J league appeared Lineker went there to Grampus 8 and Wenger managed there this may have brought some interest in the 90‘s.
            In the early 60′s I think a league match was broadcast but then not till 1983 and if there was others before this it wasn’t Utd and maybe only 3 games in 20 years as the not solely business orientated clubs did not want to know.
            Wow that a weird coincidence that you started following them in the same year they became the first ever Premiership winners 91/92 after being a crap in comparison to others at the time. Of course it would have had nothing to do with this at all and it‘s definitely not about glory hunting at all!

• Robin says:

Does glory hunting even matter. I am an Arsenal fan but not becuase I gloryhunt them but becuase my English dad supported them (but my dad is a gloryhunter technically because of the 1971 FA Cup final victory over Liverpool which he saw live). Anyway ask yourself this… “who would anyone in the USA, Middle East, Asia, or Africa support” Really only the big clubs because they actually hear about these teams the most through the media. On FSC you always hear Warren Barten talking about Man U and Chelsea and how great they are. That makes any fan think about supporting Man U. In India right now Argentina and Venezuela are playing there and of course the gloryhunting continues as they are calling it the Messi match because that is the only player Indians know (who cares about De Maria, Higuain, Aguero, Zabaleta). When they were doing the poster for the match they had one side with the Argentina team and a big pic of Messi and on the other side they had Paraguay when they were supposed to have the Venezuela team. Point is gloryhunters only come about through what they hear and see in the media and many many Sports channels. Sorry for going off topic a little with the India story.

4. Arsenic says:

Keep your glory-hunting attitude at home. The rest of the world can do without it.

5. support local team always says:

let’s see how long these so-called “die-hards” in the Middle East, Latin America, East Asia, Africa support big clubs like Manchester United and Man City. Once the Champions League football stops, the income stream will dry up and these fans are gonna say good-bye and turn their back on the club. They aren’t there for the long haul. They only want entertainment like they do from watching a movie for 90 minutes. To them, it’s just entertainment and merry-making and glory-hunting, but not real supporting.

• MNUfan1991 says:

Funny you withheld your criticism for North American fans. What makes you think an Arsenal fan in, say, Austin TX is somehow more worthy than those in Seoul or Taipei?

• support your team always says:

the language mate. they speak english since they were colonized by England and England gave them the language they speak today. Same with any former colony of British empire. Same reason it’s ok for Mexicans to follow the Spanish league since Spain gave ‘em their language. Not tryna sound xenophobic, but that’s how i feel.

6. doctorl says:

Spare me the “glory-hunter” and “typical Yank” generalizations.

I grew up playing the sport in the USA when half my teammates spoke English as a second language. In my late 40′s now, I knock the ball around with folks from work a couple of times a week. I have two stepsons that play for travel teams at a high level. Because I still actually play a little myself, I have an appreciation for how difficult it is both technically and tactically to do what my kids do, and what the the pros do on TV.

I have a Barca jersey because I like the club’s history, style of play now, and because I found it cheap used on EBay. The ’90s vintage Celtic jersey I wear occasionally was purchased because I liked the colors and style. Oh, I also have an Inter jersey I wear because my older stepson didn’t like it and it was too big for him anyway.

“typical Yank” I guess…I suppose if you’d seen me in Austin with my Celtic jersey on then it would have been all good…at least I would not have been perceived as “hunting glory”

• support your team always says:

Yanks are glory-hunters. It’s an accepted fact around the world. Americans don’t have the patience to see their team work their way up through the system. that’s why you don’t have a promotion/relegation system. The team with the worst record gets the #1 Draft Pick the following season. Fans of these teams are not true supporters in the sense that fans of English football clubs are. They’re merely consumers in the eyes of the owners, and the teams can move to any city they want to. Houston Rockets were based in San Diego before they moved to Houston. Brooklyn Dodgers are now in Los Angeles; Baltimore Colts are now in Indianapolis, the list can go on. They don’t know the pain of suffering like English football fans do. The joy and ecstasy of promotion and the prospect of more money coming into the club; the gloom and despair of relegation and moving to a lower league and getting less money next year and having to sell your best players to highest bidders. American sports fans don’t know that feeling as well. Sure they’ve seen some of their best players go, but they still play in the elite league and will continue getting money from that league. So yes, Americans are glory-hunters.