Latest Premier League News: Daily Ticker, Aug. 31
Drama: A situation or sequence of events that is highly emotional, tragic, or turbulent, according to the Collins English Dictionary. If this doesn’t describe this year’s transfer market, then I don’t know what does. Teams have made signings that have given them hope for a brighter future, while other clubs have sold players essential to the squad, leading to crises. In today’s “Ticker” we’ll review all the major signings from yesterday and things to look for as the window closes today.
- The captain of South Korea is headed to Arsenal. Park Chu-Young told The Australian, “It is a dream to be here and I am really proud to be an Arsenal player. Now I just want to show how good I am and prove myself.” The 26 year old forward will be able to support Robin van Persie in the Gunner’s attack. Arsene Wenger has signed Per Mertesacker from Werder Bremen to bolster his weak defense. Goal.com reported yesterday that Arsenal are in the hunt to sign American Clint Dempsey for 10 million pounds. Reports also state that the Gunners are lining up bids for Florent Malouda, Yossi Benayoun, and Alex. Wenger’s target Eden Hazard, of Lille, has told the club he is staying in France.
- Liverpool FC, arguably improved their side the most on Tuesday, with the signing of Uruguayan defender Sebastian Coates. The young lad impressed many at this summer’s Copa America, leading some in the English press to believe that the boy was nearing his mid-20s, when in fact, Coates is only 20. For just 7 million pounds, Damien Comolli has signed Jamie Carragher’s replacement, and Coates may challenge Carragher for his spot in the squad upon his arrival at Anfield. Joe Cole has been linked with a move to Lille. Liverpool have confirmed that Christian Poulsen will be moving to Evian.
- Fulham shocked the league yesterday, by closing in on a deal with FC Twente winger, Bryan Ruiz. For a reported 10.6 million pounds, the Costa Rican will join the Cottagers after he completes a medical at Craven Cottage today.
- After Monday’s rumors that Inter Milan starlet Davide Santon would be headed to Newcastle United, the Magpies got their man. Santon has signed a five year deal with the club. In addition, Newcastle lead the race to sign Frederico Macheda, from Manchester United, on loan.
- Tottenham Hotspur has heated up their attempt to sign Bolton defender Gary Cahill. Sky Sports reported that the clubs were “locked in” to talks over Cahill yesterday. As of this morning, Spurs boss Harry Redknapp is standing by his claims that Luka Modric will still be at White Heart Lane tomorrow. Redknapp is also going after West Ham United midfielder Scott Parker, whom handed in his transfer request to the Hammers on Tuesday. He said that he had, “a fantastic four years at the club,” and the midfielder thanked the club and its fans for their support, thus hinting that the Englishman will be at a different club come Thursday. Spurs lead the race for Parker and according to the Hammer, they are, “very, very close,” to a deal. Sorry QPR_Fan, but it appears Parker will not be making the move to Loftus Road. However, Warnock’s squad may pick up Shaun Wright-Phillips, Liam Ridgewell, and possibly Craig Bellamy.
- A Premier League technicality has stopped Stoke City’s loan deal for Chelsea’s Romelu Lukaku from being completed. Rule M.7.1 says, “a Temporary Transfer to a club may not take place in the Transfer Window in which the Transferor Club acquired the Player’s registration.” However, Stoke supporters can get excited about the possibility of Arsenal striker, Nicklas Bendtner gracing the Britannia, as Sky Sports is reporting the two clubs are in talks. In other Chelsea news, the Blues are working with FC Porto and the agent of Alvaro Periera, to bring the Uruguayan defender to Stamford Bridge by the end of the day. The only problem with the deal is that Chelsea are refusing to pay the 26 million pound buyout clause for the player.
- Wigan Athletic signed Albert Crusat from Almeria.
- Manchester City may sign Owen Hargreaves on a free transfer today, after the ex-United man completed a medical yesterday.
- Sunderland are attempting to sign Peter Crouch from Spurs to pair up front with Asamoah Gyan. Steve Bruce’s bid is rumored to be 10 million pounds.
- Look for Blackburn Rovers to complete the signing of Birmingham City defender Scott Dann today.
The electrifying Eljero Elia, the target of many Premier League clubs, has signed with Juventus for the fee of 8 million pounds. Elia signed a four year deal with the Italian club.
Article of the Day:
I overlooked this piece from Monday, but the Fifth Official’s article of the week is always a good read.
Video of the Day:
A look behind the making of FIFA 12 and EA Sports HQ in Canada.
Be sure to follow the EPL Talk Twitter page and the site for the latest news on Transfer Deadline Day.