SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA
LEI

Arsenal Is In A Shambles Right Now: Have Your Say

4426810110 096b680c0d1 Arsenal Is In A Shambles Right Now: Have Your Say

Photo by Ashburton Grove Blog

Arsenal is a shambles right now and Arsene Wenger needs to get his wallet out. The side, only two games into the season, are decimated by suspensions, injuries and lack of depth. And now. after losing to Liverpool 2-0 at home for the first time in 11 years, they’re earned one point out of a possible six in the league and face Manchester United at Old Trafford next weekend.

On top of that, they’re on the verge of losing their most creative player, Samir Nasri, who was one of the few bright moments in their performance in the Premier League today.

At times against Liverpool today, Arsenal look like they were fielding one of their Carling Cup sides with so many young players on the pitch.

What’s your opinion? Share your insight in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in Arsenal, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Arsenal Is In A Shambles Right Now: Have Your Say

1. moe says:

I just hope Wenger doesn’t think he has the right squad now, and spend money like everyone has been telling him for years to make the team better. If he doesn’t, he needs to be let go. I know thats harsh for a man who has brought soo much to Arsenal, but everyone knows what needs to be done. Fans hate to be lied to.

2. Tony X says:

Clutching at straws : Wengers ploy of fielding wantaway players Nasri & Bendtner backfires. No on field leaders. Could have done with Cahill or Samba today.

• Moe says:

as funny as it sounds, defense was not the issue, RVP got no service, and the Theo, Arshavin, and Ramsey might as well stay in the locker room.

• Jake Islas says:

The defense wasn’t terrible today, but you have to admit that when Sagna has to move to LB, and we have Jenkinson and Miquel in, there’s a problem. Sagna and TV played great and the other two did ok, but this is Arsenal and that’s not going to cut it. We should have cover at LB and not have to resort to 20 yr olds when we have a couple injuries. Koscielny is terrible to begin with and we had to stretch to cover there. Vermalean couldn’t even cover at LB because we have no CB’s. Shambles.

3. JonTron says:

we’ve got to sort out the wage bill first; ours is structured so that highest earner and the lowest earner are not too far off. this, in itself is a problem. we need to have it tiered, something like superstar>first team>squad>sub or something like that. this will allow us to buy players like mata, cahill, benzema and keep the likes of nasri, RVP, walcott (who both have not renewed their contracts) etc. everyone and their mother knows arsenal have money, it’s the wages that are fucking us up, we can’t afford to pay the better players to sign/stay because people like squillaci, diaby, almunia, denilson and even a lot of the kids are getting payed nearly the same amount as robin, nasri, theo et al. it’s to avoid jealousy, but to be honest that’s what we need, competition within the team, to avoid complacency.

4. 50 says:

I would say Arsenals defense was fine,if they weren’t responsible for an OG…Liverpool didn’t look all that great themselves today…But I will say this,we feel much more of a threat as soon as Suarez is on the pitch..We could be talking Torres type numbers….As for Arsenal,wow.If Nasri goes,and theres no replacements lined up…I just don’t see how they can mount any sort of challenge with this team.

5. Chyd says:

you’ve just stated the obvious.AW needs to dust his wallat and spend some money good players because the team i saw today though they did their best which was good enough can’t take Arsenal to a greater height;you can’t compete in competitive league like EPL with a thread bead squad.Arsene still has the time to make a statement in this transfer window but he’s allowing that the slip away because of his obstinate nature;he done well for the team over the years but now killing the team with his attitude.Spend the money or take a walk and we will understand.

6. SeminoleGunner says:

Just please spend the money. With our luck, I’m certain whoever is brought in will either fail to adjust to the League or immediately get injured, but just prove you’re capable of spending money Arsene.

7. raok says:

It just shows how much we were dependent on cesc. Hard to believe that cesc and clichy were the only first team members that we sold.

8. am says:

Let us not get carried away. We didn’t have gervinho,song,ilshere,gibbs a quite a few players who migjt have made a difference.

Truth be told liverpool were average until suarez came on. walcott, arshavin and ramsey had poor games but vermaelen and miquel did well. let us not forget that it was 11 vs 9.5 at the end…. wenger needs to add quality no doubt though to challenge city and united

9. Phil Sandifer says:

We should remember that Arsenal have been in the mix for trophies consistently – a massive change to their philosophy and approach would be foolish. There are problems, clearly, but Manchester United have won seasons after getting one point out of their first two games. This is not the time to panic and flip out.

It is the time to make some moves to replace major players on their way out. Nasri wants more money than Arsenal are willing to pay, and Fabregas wanted to go home. These are not in and of themselves disasters. But the money needs to be reinvested, and reinvested in more than two players.

The fact that they can’t go a match without getting red-carded seems to me the bigger issue.

10. Chicago Yeti says:

Think the officials called this game extremely tight due to last weeks game between Arsenal and New Castle. Thought some of the calls were overboard. Poor Miquel. Such a bad way to start things off!

Liverpool looked like wet bread! No creativity. Thank God for Suarez. They’ll never get goals dumping passes in the middle of traffic all day long to Carroll. And here’s to hoping Carroll improves.

Anybody willing to share (or point me to a forum that talks about this) about how they watch EPL games without spending an arm and a leg. Foxsoccer.tv usually shows only replays of the good games. Thought about XBOX Live with ESPN3 but looks like they don’t that much at all. Got up early and watched the Liverpool game at the Globe Pub in Chicago at 6:45am. Fun times but I really don’t want to have to do that every weekend. And I don’t want to drop $100 on cable just for soccer games. Oh and by the way, JustinTV sucks. Never works for me!

• raok says:

Try atdhenet.tv

• Chicago Yeti says:

Thanks raok for linking atdhenet.tv is a poor quality pirate feed site. I’m looking for information about economical ways to watch the Premiere League games in high-quality. And I will pay! XBOX Live worth it anyone? I wish we had Sky TV over hear in the states. And why don’t they post the games up on iTunes for sale? They’d make loads of $.

11. Daniel Mullins says:

So all of this is about spending money and reinvesting in the team? Wenger’s tactics and all that is okay?

I personally think that he has to go. He has run his course there like Rafa ran his course at Liverpool.

With United coming up next, Arsenal needs a miracle.

• Jack Tomczuk says:

I reckon the squad that started today will still keep them up.

Seriously, though, we must not forget about the board. Maybe they are padding their banking accounts with the transfer fees for Cesc, Clichy, etc.

Wenger should stay. He has done so much for Arsenal, and it would be an utter disgrace to sack him two games into the season. He deserves better, because no manager in the Premier League would be able to challenge they way he has with his squad the last few seasons, all the while spending less than rival clubs.

You can question his transfer policy, but please do not question Wenger’s football knowledge.

• Dr.EinCali says:

Hell yeah…these gooners are turning after two games with half our first team squad out. Give me an f*in break. Things will sort themselves out, esp so when the stadium is paid off…

12. Todd says:

This season looks to give me gray hair come May. It’s a tough situation with all the injuries, and as mentioned above, defense was not the issue today. It was inexperience and a poor attacking display. Frimpong needed to be weary after his first yellow.

RVP had almost no help up top with so many under-achieving attackers. And I think it is beyond clear that money must be injected into the squad if Wenger wants to keep his job.

The whole situation is like watching a car crash is slow motion; it’s painful.

13. BBC says:

I like their open style of play. They’re this year’s Blackpool.

14. dlink09 says:

if they had wilshere, song, gervino game might be different.. to me liverpool spending 100mil and look like shit.. Arsenal is not done yet, lets wait until transfer market is done.. Gaffer you know better, trying to get traffic with sh*t articles..

• The Gaffer says:

dlink, I said that Arsenal is in a shambles now. I’m not saying they’ll be in a shambles at the end of the transfer window, but they definitely have a lot of sorting out to do between now and the end of August.

• MG says:

Sh*t articles? How disrespectful to the Gaffer.. Arsenal IS in a shambles and have been since the middle of last season.. The club’s morale is extremely low, both on the pitch and in the seats.. The squad doesn’t even seem like a squad anymore, like a unit. Not even a year ago, they DID resemble a squad.. And there’s been nothing but negative news on the team since March of last years.. Gooners worldwide are feeling really low atm.. things look bleak but I am sure that this slump is only temporary.. It has to pick up soon.

Good things are coming out way.. I know they always have.

15. Emeka Obi Esq says:

One of the problems of Arsenal FC is that their players are not strong, but too fragile. This result in constant injuries. EPL is mainly based on strength, but AW prefers young players with flair.

16. Mike C says:

If Arsenal is in shambles now, what happens if they lose at Udinese later this week? I don’t think it will happen, but what sort of doomsday scenario is in store if the unlikely happens, and they don’t even make the group stages of the CL (I’d like them too, if only for continued good showings for English sides in the CL).

17. Taimur says:

Luis Suarez was off-sides and the own goal was just bad luck. The problem wasn’t the defense. It was like of creativity in the final third. Nasri was fine, but I thought the best player on the pitch was Emmanuel Frimpong. The boy played his socks off today. Too bad he got sent off, but he should have been careful. I do believe that Arsenal should buy a new center-back now. It’s not they don’t have good center-halfs, it’s the injuries. Arsenal need depth in the central areas of the pitch in all three departments.

18. Support Your Local Team Guyz says:

To all you glory hunters learn that your passion will never be like the little clubs. But i can Say i dont hate you as much as i hate my local rivals!!!
    support to your local team! No matter how sh*t they are and you know they will never hit the dizzy heights of all those glory hunting bastards!!! You still follow them because there is nothing better than a last minute winner in a 6 pointer, your team chants, the mad supporter who is known through out the land because he’s got a screw lose! for the small stadium with no under ground heating as well as half time refreshments in the pouring rain & Fa cup games u will never win but u go because u know you can out sing any glory hunting c**ts in there fake atomspheric dome!

19. PaulfromMiami says:

How come nobody is talking about how woeful Liverpool was? Dunno what “King” kenny was trying to prove by leaving Suarez on the Bench. Arsenal’s back 4 were solid. Ramsey, Walcott and Arshavin were really bad though.

• brn442 says:

PaulfromMiami – Kenny simply proved that he knows much more about managing the fitness of his players than you will ever do

• PaulfromMiami says:

besides Downing, you think your summer signings have been great? As a matter of fact, i checked lost and found to see if somebody found Jordan Henderson because i sure couldnt

• Phil Sandifer says:

If Liverpool keeps winning against their major rivals – and given that their target is fourth place this season, Arsenal are clearly one of their major rivals – I don’t think anyone is going to care how woeful they play. A woeful three points are just as good as any other three points.

20. brn442 says:

Will say it again – Wenger’s transfer policy has faltered the last 5 years. All, he needs is 2-3 EXPERIENCED (near) world-class players before the window closes – I wouldn’t hold my breathe.

• Phil Sandifer says:

So… 40-80m of new signings?

Yes, a trivial matter that should be easily accomplished.

Nobody is buying 2-3 world class players these days. City and Chelsea can barely manage to get 2-3 near world-class players, and they’re doing it by buying youth. Arsenal needs some quality signings that are ready to play tomorrow, not next year. But it’s not a team that needs to go throw down silly amounts of money on hyped stars – especially since Wenger seems to manage a pretty low-drama, low-ego ship. (Much of why he was more than willing to let Adebayor depart, I suspect)

It’s tough to fault Wenger for declining to pay the premium on English players as well. So realistically, what I think Wenger would benefit from are a couple of solid players in the 25-28 age range in some key positions – a striker, a central midfielder, and some defense most obviously. But he doesn’t need big money star strikers or attacking midfielders. He needs effective, reliable workmen. Arsenal plays about 80% of a very effective game, and then has something go wrong when a weak spot gets exploited. The goal should be to remove the weak spots, not to reinvent the wheel.

The sorts of players I imagine Wenger doing well with are the Kuyts, Fletchers, or Parks of the world – reliable, solid players who can be counted on not to screw up.

21. Mike Perez says:

I cant see Arsenal having top4 finish is season Fabregas gone and Nasri out the door Arsenal doesn’t have quality to be in champions league next season

22. Support Your Local Team Guyz says:

You should read this article. It’s short and to the point.

• soonerscotty says:

Yeah, couldn’t give two figs for my domestic league. I’m 700 miles from the two closest MLS teams (Denver & Dallas). I suppose you could count Indios de Ciudad Juarez who are in the Mexican 2nd division as they’re 50 miles from me, but while I love soccer I’m not willing to die for it and Juarez is currently one of the most dangerous cities in the world…and I don’t speak Spanish.

My uncle served in the US military in the UK in the 70s and followed Liverpool. I know he followed LFC because they were the best then, but he truly and always loved Liverpool and translated that love to me. I may not have ever set foot in Liverpool or the UK for that matter, but I’ve grown up with LFC. Did I grow up with them in the same way as a lad born & raised on Merseyside? Definitely not, but that doesn’t lessen my love.

Even someone who chooses a team because they’re winners and could be classified as glory hunters or bandwagon fans doesn’t mean that they cannot come to love “their” club any less than anyone else.

23. John Smith says:

Things will turn around. Alan Hansen once said you can’t win anything with kids, and he was dead wrong. And if you’re calling for Wenger’s head, who would you replace him with?

• Matthew Reed says:

Might as well let the rumor start here as, like any other microscopic hint of a vacancy at a well know club, the rumor is inevitable…..Mourinho!!

24. jleau says:

The situation at Arsenal is bizarre to say the least. The real story behind the behavior of the club over the last 2-3 years will be an intersting read someday. The decision making at the highest levels is just completely nonsensical. I can’t tell who is in charge or what their plan might be.

The board says there is money available. Wenger agrees sometimes but other times says there isn’t money available. Nasri will sign, no he won’t, he’s gone, well wait he loves the club and will stay. The club says they will definitely spend but then they don’t. At the moment they appear to not be willing to spend to strengthen even when it is obvious that it’s required. I can’t believe a man as bright as Wenger has just sunk to the level of a stubborn old fool. So there must be some broader explanation. My gut tells me that there is money issues at the club and trouble in the boardroom. That is the only logical reason why things look so schizophrenic.

Or the club is run by clowns that make Mike Ashley look like a sage pragmatist.

No players are coming in and Arenal are not a top 10 team right now. I honsetly have no idea what’s going to happen next.

• Guy says:

Nicely put. It does seem a little manic/depressive around Arsenal right now, doesn’t it? Maybe a course of lithium is prescribed.

• John Smith says:

Whine whine whine, complain complain complain. Deals fall through. Finances need to be guaranteed in advance. People change their minds. Nasri is practically a schizophrenic.

Things are bad now, but believe me, they can get a lot worse.