WED, 3PM ET
STO
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Welcome to 2011/12: EPL Talk Podcast Season Preview

UPDATED: The Premier League is back! Kicking off a new season, we see the return of Kartik Krishnaiyer and Laurence McKenna as they dissect the Community Shield and look forward to a brand new Premier League season. In this special 90 minute episode, the team analyzes each club in the Premier League and their chances for this coming season.

Also, Laurence catches up with EPL Talk bloggers The Gaffer and Earl Reed to get their thoughts on some of the major stories.

Here is a MP3 version of the podcast if you’re unable to listen to the M4a version above.

Meanwhile, here are the different ways you can listen to the EPL Talk Podcast each week:

1. Listen via the Flash player included in the EPL Talk Podcast posts every Sunday and Thursday night via EPL Talk,
  2. Subscribe to the EPL Talk Podcast on iTunes,
  3. Add the EPL Talk Podcast RSS feed to your RSS reader,
  4. Buy the EPL Talk Podcast iPhone App which is automatically updated when each new episode is released,
  5. If you have an Android smartphone, buy the EPL Talk Podcast Android App,
  6. Get the free version of the EPL Talk iPhone App which includes the podcasts as well as EPL Talk posts, comments and more, and
  7. Subscribe to the EPL Talk Podcast on the Zune.
This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Welcome to 2011/12: EPL Talk Podcast Season Preview

1. Evan says:

Hey Gaffer,
    I’m currently working on my Fantasy Premier League team and want a forward from Swansea. Who do you think is better, Beattie or Graham?

I don’t know anything about Swansea.

2. trickybrkn says:

BBC World News is presently showing Enfield. An entire block on fire.

England game will be off for sure now. Major black eye on London and the other England copy cat riots.

This is the third night, and now Liverpool and the Brum.

Not out of question the first week of the PL set back a week.

3. Derek says:

Hi Gaffer, just to let you know, it seems all the feeds for the podcast with done in the m4a format and not mp3. Not sure if this was done on purpose but I can’t really play them on anything right now. Thanks.

4. Dlink04 says:

Stop copying from other news organizations, rubbish preview.. Drunken people can give better analysis then Karthik & co..

5. Really?? says:

Liverpool challenging for the title is laughable, but typical! It’s your job to not be biased, ridiculous.

• Edikan says:

Fully agree. This has to be one of the most ridiculous things I’ve heard in a long time. They’re a decent team. No more than that. Madrid would walk all over that team.

• Laurence says:

Hey Guys,

Kartik said what he thought Liverpool were potentially capable but that they wouldn’t win it eventually.

On an opinion podcast it isn’t anyone’s job not to be biased. These views are transparently presented as opinion and aren’t presented as facts. At the same time, there is no attempt to mislead people with misinformation.

I don’t think anyone is in a position to make anything but an educated guess right now with this new squad. Kartik and other guests are free to make their own opinions and express them. If you disagree then make a point back, we’re here to listen too. What do you think?

Laurence

• Really? says:

Laurence,

What you’re stating is true, but it’s just Kartik’s reputation that comes into play here is why I was harsh at not giving the benefit of the doubt. He makes ridiculous statements very often and therefore has never been very credible which isn’t good for the podcast.

While it is just speculation and are no way being portrayed as facts, you can’t continually give awful analysis and expect to have any respect and credibility on a podcast listened to by many on a credible site.

That’s my opinion and I’m sure many would agree.

As for my opinion, the addition of Adam and Downing don’t take a team from 7th to title contenders. Yes Suarez and Carroll will be on their first full season with the squad, but there’s too much talent in the top 3-4 for them to challenge. I think they will be challenging for the top 4 and United are the favorites after winning last year and the additions they made, especially if the Sneijder deal goes through.

• The Gaffer says:

Kartik is more often correct than he is wrong in terms of his predictions. He was one of the few that said that Chelsea were still in the running for the Premier League title and not to count them out, when so many other pundits did. And Chelsea had a late run that saw them end up in second place. The same can be said about Kartik’s prediction about Arsenal. When they were back-and-forth between first and second spot in the Premier League last season, Kartik predicted that they didn’t have what it took and they ended up in fourth place. In hindsight, we may not be surprised by Arsenal’s decline last season. But when he made those predictions, there were tons of people here who responded with outrage.

• Really? says:

6th*

6. dachda says:

I’m in the same boat as Derek. No MP3 of the podcast = me not able to listen. Not all of us have/can afford a player with mp4a compatibility.

7. Edikan says:

People who cant play .m4a just use download and use RealPlayer or Windows Media Player. I did it and it worked for me.

I havent finished listening to the podcast yet but there have been some terrible opinions by Karthik. Most stacked team in europe bar Barcelona? You’ve got to be kidding me. The only you prove yourself is on the pitch and I dont see where this is coming from. They played well towards the end of the season simply because there was no pressure. Dalgish is a good manager but he has a lot of responsibility on his shoulders and he’s very fortunate to be at Liverpool because if he was anywhere else I’m sure he’d jump ship when the going gets tough. He’s done it before but I think he loves the club too much to do that.

Fourth spot should be Liverpool’s aim for this season. Forget about winning the title. They need to obtain a CL qualifying spot first. No need getting ahead of themselves. Once you get your eyes set on the wrong thing, there’s always that possibilty of losing sight of what you really need to focus on. They need to focus on getting into the top four this season. Karthik is acting as if Liverpool wont have any direct/tough competition for those spots. This is going to be an interesting season but Liverpool are going to have to really prove themselves if, by Karthik’s logic, they’re going to be a PL winning side. Don’t mean to be so offensive I do think Karthik is off the mark on this one. The season hasn’t even started and he’s saying this stuff. I’m a United fan and I dont think we’re going to walk the title. It’s going to be interesting for sure. Let’s be more realistic

• dw says:

That doesn’t work on many mobile devices. Some of us don’t have time to listen to podcasts on PCs.

• cnl. onions says:

I don’t think it’s crazy enough of an opinion to go on a tirade about it. Their pace(points per fixture) after Kenny came in last season was on a top 3 level and new troops have come in. Also, Carroll is like a new pickup since he was barely even fit for the second half of last season and he should be banging in goals left in right from Downing, Henderson, and Adam deliveries.

Gerrard’s health/form over the course of the season could be the difference between 1st and 4th/5th.

• Laurence says:

Hey dw/Edikan/cnl.onions,

First: We’ll do an mp3 on the website for you in the midweek pod. Thanks for letting us know!

Kartik said they were the most stacked team in midfield, he is right, they have more players than anyone else in the same positions.

Liverpool have to prove themselves, but I also don’t think that’s a reason to right them off so early. History would say that Liverpool are unlikely champions, but let’s give them a chance to prove themselves, uh?

We’ll discuss this in midweek pod. If you have anymore opinions email me at:

laurencemckenna@epltalk.com

Laurence

• Earl Reed says:

I think that it’s comments like these that provoke me to come at United fans. This is the way I read your comments: “Nobody is allowed to have any title aspirations besides Manchester United.” I thought Kartik gave United quite a bit of due respect, they are clearly favorites to repeat.

I’m not sure where Kartik made a prediction of Liverpool winning. In fact, I specifically remember him saying that, if it weren’t for their back-line, he’d pick them to win. He did make the comparison to Barca, and I agree that guys like Henderson and Adam have to prove their worth in a higher pressure situation. Blackpool were always pegged for relegation, so the pressure on Adam was simply that he needed results to earn a transfer to a bigger club. After December, the Black Cats never played like they were interested in a Europa League spot. So those two guys are specifically under a microscope this year to perform.

8. cnl. onions says:

Good stuff…really liked Gaffer’s segment: good voice, knowledge, and person overall.

• Laurence says:

Easy interview too. More Gaffer to come this season. Let’s hope that all the games can happen this weekend!

9. Robert P. Karlen says:

Losing John O’Shea is a crushing blow to Manchester United’s title hopes??? Seriously??? Wow…. Keep chugging the Blue Kool-Aid…..

• Laurence says:

Hey Robert,

At which point was that said? I’m just wondering because I’m struggling to find it.

United are favourites for the title right? I think so…

Got any comments that we can incorporate into the pod? It’s hard to put: “Blue Kool-Aid” into the pod…but I can try!

Laurence

10. Jesse Chula says:

great show and good insight from all involved. It’s going to be exciting hearing how well this show continues to evolve this season into something listeners will begin to crave.

lots of talent around here and looking forward to being involved with it.

11. avd says:

That Karthik guy never fails to amuse me, lol.

12. avd says:

Some golden nuggets from Karthik
    ‘ this pool midfield is the best midfield behind barca’
    “downing is a bargain at 20 mil”
    “sturridge was bangin in the goals at city 2 seasons ago”

Seriously??!!!

• Laurence says:

For reference:

Sturridge began his playing career in earnest at local club Aston Villa. He then moved to Coventry City in 2002, from where he joined Manchester City’s Academy in 2003, aged 13. A Football League committee later ordered Manchester City to pay Coventry £30,000 compensation, with further payments up to a maximum of £200,000 based upon appearances and international honours. The following year, he was the leading scorer and voted player of the season (the only other person to achieve this was Argentine footballer Carlos Tévez) as City won the Nike Cup, the world’s largest under-15 tournament. At 16, he played for Manchester City Youth during their 2006 FA Youth Cup run. The youngest player in the side, he scored four goals en route to the final, and another two in the final, though they were insufficient to prevent a 3–2 aggregate defeat to Liverpool. That summer, he signed his first professional contract, which came into effect when he turned 17.
      From the start of the 2006–07 season, Sturridge began to train with the City first team. A hat-trick in a reserve match was rewarded by a place on the substitutes’ bench for the senior side’s match with Reading in February 2007. He duly made his debut from the bench, replacing Georgios Samaras for the final quarter-hour. He made a second substitute appearance a month later, but then suffered a hip injury which sidelined him for the remainder of 2007.
      He scored his first goal for City on 27 January 2008 in an FA Cup match against Sheffield United, followed three days later by his first league goal on his full debut, against Derby County. However, first team opportunities were sporadic, so Sturridge continued to play for the youth team in the FA Youth Cup. City again reached the final, with Sturridge the leading scorer in the competition. This time City won the final, with Sturridge scoring in the first leg. In the 2007–08 season, Sturridge became the only player ever to score in the Youth FA Cup, the FA Cup and the Premier League in the same season.
      As of 1 May 2009, after 16 appearances in the 2008–09 Premier League season, Sturridge had scored four goals and provided three assists. At the end of the 2008–09 season, the Manchester City fans voted Sturridge as the Manchester City Young Player of the Season, in which he dedicated the award to his family and his uncle Dean.

13. Mills says:

I agree with some people on here saying it is good to have different opinions on who will win the title (as wide open as ever). But the Liverpool comment where they are the best in the world behind Barca is laughable at best. With playing the two up front Suarez and Carroll, they can only play 4 in that midfield. Henderson (no big game experience), Gerrard (slumping but still good), Downing (cannot be better than Malouda, Silva, Ashley Young, Modric, Nasri if he stays) and then Charlie Adam would be their 4th. Lucas is not the best Brazilian player right now (Neymar). Liverpool will be improved but they are two injuries (Suarez and Carroll) away from being a mid-table side.

I am assuming this podcast was before the Lukaku signing and the Romeu signing because those certainly add two quality young signings for Chelsea as well as David Luiz and McEachran. With that youth Chelsea have 5 players under 23 that will certainly mix well with the older squad of Chelsea. Please feel free to counterpoint, I love a good argument….KTBFFH

• Laurence says:

Hey Mills,

If debate is what you want :). I guess that’s kind of the point about Liverpool’s midfield. It is adaptable and Liverpool won’t always start Carroll and Suarez together. They could play 4 3 3 or 4 4 2 or could go 3 at the back at which point Downing could be very handy. No one has seen them play enough to say that they are going to be bad and the evidence has been that of last season and a few pre-season games which looked like experiments. Even so, the point stands that Liverpool have a good midfield which can compete if they fulfil potential. The Barcá point may be too far though…imo. Which other teams have a stronger midfield (just for reference?) I’ll start with Madrid…

Kartik said Lucas was the best in his position: DM and I don’t think he’s too far off the mark there, Lucas was resurgent last season and still suffers from his reputation under Rafa because people didn’t like that style of football.

The pod is gonna round up acquisitions at some point in the next few pods, but yes it was recorded before Chelsea bought.

Laurence

• Mills says:

I would rate (in no order) Inter, Bayern, United, Citeh, Chelsea, Madrid, Marseille, and I think that may be it. Of course I may have left someone out but off the top of my head that is who I would go with.

• Laurence says:

Are Liverpool’s midfield equal to some of those too? I can pick out the PL sides and say that Liverpool would feel confident about facing them when they get the combination of players right.

Lucas is surely under rated for the role he plays. Learned it well…

Inter, Madrid, Milan, Marseille all have quality midfields agreed! I’ll put it to Kartik and see how he replies. I think that Liverpool have shown great improvement from their transfers. Let’s see how well they adapt, if they can then I think they can compete.

It’s a shame LFC aren’t in the CL so we could see how they compete on the continent, but that’s just me :)

14. bbc says:

Glad to have you back, gents. It’s like taking a phone call from a friend that I’ve lost touch with.

People forget that Liverpool was the best team in the EPL last half of the year, plus by tipping them for second spot, Kartik gets to give Laurence schtick when they fight for fourth. Gonna be a tough start for Liverpool and it will take awhile for them to find their roles, but they’ll be as strong as anyone in the second half with no European distraction.

Good show!

15. Jack Tomczuk says:

Nice show guys. Kartik has very strong opinions and many people are going to disagree with him. But all pundits have to have strong beliefs. Not many people like everything Robbie Savage says, for example, but he is still a successful pundit in that he has strong opinions and sturs debate.

How good would the podcast be if Kartik just said he wasn’t sure who was going to win? If bold statements are not made, then the show will not be as interesting. And he is not just stating these bold statements to be a shock jock.

Even if you disagree with Kartik, you have to admit that he is very knowledgeable about every team in the Premier League. He can come up with facts and figures off the top of his head.

Kartik is allowed to have a bias. He is not writing a match report. He is a good pundit who has very strong beliefs. And this is coming from a Gooner! Kartik has been critical of Arsenal recently, and he should be.

• Laurence says:

Thanks Jack.

Arsenal fan? We’re discussing them in the mid-week show. What do you think about their transfer policy this season?

Laurence

• Jack Tomczuk says:

Well, Arsene Wenger has not had a great summer. We needed a striker and Gervinho is a good signing. He has speed and touch, and he should be able to mesh with RVP.

Ultimately, if Wenger does not sign a centre-half by the end of the month, it will be a disaster. I do not mind Cesc and Nasri leaving if we get Gary Cahill, or Samba, or Mertesacker, etc.

Wilshere or Ramsey can take the place of Cesc. We could play a 4-3-3 with Song, Ramsey, and Wilshere. I would like to get Scott Parker but that probably won’t happen. Wenger should buy Juan Mata or Eden Hazard if Nasri goes to Man City.

16. eplnfl says:

The new season has started for me with this podcast! The crew is in mid-season form with their first effort of the year. No need for a training camp or pre-season for the EPL Talk podcast group.

Kartik has to be considered as America’s foremost commentator on the EPL. Keep it up guys you double my enjoyment of the game.

17. Ankit says: