SAT, 8:45AM ET
SAT, 11AM ET
HUL
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

Arsenal Sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: A One-Of-A-Kind Name (And Player)

Alex OxladeChamberlain1 Arsenal Sign Alex Oxlade Chamberlain: A One Of A Kind Name (And Player)

Only days after Sir Alex Ferguson expressed his surprise that rivals like Chelsea and Arsenal hadn’t bought more players, Arsenal officially made their third signing of the summer in Championship starlet Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The 17 year old from Southampton officially signed with the Gunners in a deal that cost £12 million with an additional £3 million in add-ons.

This is a great relief to Arsenal’s supporters who have grown angry in recent times with the lack of transfer activity.  After months of speculation surrounding the futures of their own players, it must be an absolute pleasure for all Arsenal fans to see that the club is making additions to maintain their status as one of the biggest clubs in the Premier League.

The Southampton winger who in 36 appearances scored 10 goals, will be greatly missed by the Saints. However, the deal was one of the biggest in the history of the Championship and broke all the previous transfer records of Southampton. The Saints will now be able to use the large sum of money from the Chamberlain trade to find suitable replacements in preparation for their return to the championship.

With that being said, it may be a little unreasonable to expect an immediate impact from Chamberlain who will only turn 18 next week. Considering that Chamberlain has never played above League One football, he will need time to continue his development.

However, Oxlade-Chamberlain is without doubt one of England’s finest rising footballers and is widely considered the best coming from his age group. No one seems to be more happy than Arsene Wenger who proclaimed, “We are delighted that Alex has decided to join us. “Alex is a versatile player who can play in a number of positions. “He is an exciting young player who will provide us with creativity and offensive quality.  “He can play as an attacking centre midfielder or wide left and right.

“Alex is a perceptive passer of the ball and has a great understanding of the game and looks to be a very good team player.”

Wenger must also be happy that Arsenal’s influence was enough to wrestle Chamberlain away from rival clubs that he was linked with like Manchester United and Liverpool. The English star stated that a main incentive in his decision was Wenger’s strong history of developing young players. Chamberlain had long been the subject of possible links with Arsenal and reportedly almost signed with the club back in January but the deal fell through. However, Arsenal got their man who will join Arsenal’s other two signings, defender, Carl Jenkinson and striker, Gervinho.

Frankly, Oxlade-Chamberlain always struck me as a player destined to one day play for Arsenal. The comparisons likening him to Theo Walcott who also came from Southampton will be inevitable. Like Walcott, Chamberlain is known to be an attacking footballer with breathtaking pace who can come up from the wings or up through the middle. He’ll be able to make punishing runs into opponents’ boxes and is regarded as being better than Walcott when it comes to tracking back to play defense.

Overall, the signing of Oxlade-Chamberlain will be seen as a major positive this summer for Arsenal. With the futures of Cesc Fabregas and Samir Nasri still in serious doubt and news of injuries to Robin Van Persie, Kieran Gibbs and Thomas Vermaelen, the signing of Chamberlain is really a breath of fresh air that the club desperately needed. In reaction to his new deal, Chamberlain stated, “Arsenal have a great manager in Arsene Wenger, top-quality players and an attractive style of play.” “These were all important factors in me choosing to sign for Arsenal.”

This entry was posted in Arsenal, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

About Michael Schwartz

Michael wrote for World Soccer Talk in 2011 and 2012 with pieces that tackled a variety of topics related to the English Premier League and International competitions. He’s now back to continue writing about the Beautiful Game. You can follow Michael on Twitter @MichaelSchwart2
View all posts by Michael Schwartz →

28 Responses to Arsenal Sign Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain: A One-Of-A-Kind Name (And Player)

1. ALAKETU says:

Funny how the deal materialised minutes after i wrote my blog.good signing long expected..but yet another kid-ster.a central back is seriously needed.

2. Jon says:

Millions for tribute, but not one cent for defense!

3. trickybrkn says:

At this point football is taking a back seat…
    Carling Cup matches canceled this week at Charlton and West Ham…

Will the International at Wembley this week be canceled? These riots are a major black eye on England with the Olympics this summer. And frankly if they can’t control these crowds of of hooded teens, is it even a question that England v Netherlands be called. The police support will be needed to to protect people lives… I’ve had friends tell me people are being pulled off bikes, mugged and its not really safe anywhere. and then there is the fear that if there is a shop on the ground floor, you’ll be burnt to death.

it is madness. time to pass on the football talk.

4. MUFC77 says:

“this is a great relief to Arsenal’s supporters who have grown angry in recent times with the lack of transfer activity”

Uh something tells me Arsenal fans arnt going to be happy with spending 12+ million on another unproven kid. As far as i can tell Arsenal fans want proven, established and experienced players who can help them compete NOW not somebody who MIGHT be good in 2-3 seasons. This kid does nothing to help them now as far as I can see.

• MUFCforlife says:

And I stated that he wouldn’t have an “immediate impact” in my article. I never fault a team for making a signing whether for now or the future because it still benefits the team anyway. Plus besides Walcott, Nasri(who could leave anyday now), an inconsistent and aging Arshavin, and Carlos Vela(who has struggled throughout his time with Arsenal), they don’t have any other wingers. Chamberlain looks like a pure winger with enough promise to warrant going after him.
      Do they need more guys for the immediate future especially on defense? Of course they do. However, I don’t think it’s right to argue how Wenger never signs anyone and when he does, say he never signs anyone for right now. Fans should be happy whenever their team buys players no matter how long their impact will be. And besides, you can’t argue that Wenger isn’t good at developing young players.

• Scott says:

Um… what about Gervinho? You know, their “big signing” so far this year? He’s a winger-forward who will be out on the wing. They also have Ryo Miachi who is a slight, fast winger…. just like AOC is. I like the kid but you’re leaving out some big plot points just to shoe-horn your point and defend your article. They didn’t NEED him and when you are about to lose 2 world-class players because they don’t feel confident that the coach and board are doing enough to stregthen the weak areas of the squad and win trophies… yeah a fast 17 year old isn’t getting anyone excited. 12 million could have gotten a defender or proven GK. Nothing wrong with Wenger buying AOC but everything wrong with his priorities and the order he is going after players. Since your name is MUFCforlife I’m going to assume you’re taking great pleasure that Arsenal are doing enough to damage their chances to challenge for the title before the season even starts.

• MUFCforLife says:

Well I am a United fan and knowing that United are the favorites is certainly a good feeling.
          With that, I like Gervinho too. I wrote an article on this webiste when he was signed saying that I feel he can have an immediate poisitve impact. And with RVP hurt again, Gervinho could be needed immediately.
          This article is about signing Chamberlain. I’ve already previously written about Arsenal’s transfer issues and who they should sign. I do think Wenger’s priorities maybe a little bit to be desired but if I was an Arsenal fan, I wouldn’t want Fabregas or Nasri because they haven’t shown their support for the club. While I think Arsenal are taking too long, I still feel the Gunners should use the money from those two guys to get a defender and Juan Mata.

• Scott says:

You’ve explained yourself fairly well- I just think it’s a bit naive at best to presume to speak for Gunners fans when you say “After months of speculation surrounding the futures of their own players, it must be an absolute pleasure for all Arsenal fans to see that the club is making additions to maintain their status as one of the biggest clubs in the Premier League.” When I found out you were a MUFC supporter- my first thought was “is he taking the piss?” Chamberlain’s signing doesn’t add to our “status” really, and any fan wants to see the defense taken care of first to maybe win a g-d trophy. That would REALLY do something for our “status”. I just think no true fan of Arsenal is looking at this saying “well- the trophy is ours for sure now!”

• MUFCforlife says:

And I not once in my entire article say that all of Arsenal’s problems were fixed or that they were winning a trophy this season. I wasn’t trying to speak for all Arsenal fans but more just in general about how its nice to hear about your team making valuable additions rather than always having to hear about who’s departing. Winning a trophy is of course the primary goal but I was stating that Arsenal’s status as a top 4 club can still inspire hyped players to want to come to Arsenal. For example, Juan Mata reportedly doesn’t want to have anything to do with Tottenham because he sees it as an inferior club to the Gunners.
            Are Arsenal the best right now? No. Do teams like City and United have bigger appeals to players right now? Yes. But I still think Arsenal can attract a defender like Cahill or Samba and in general appeal to profile players. Would winning a trophy help the status of Arsenal? Of course it would. However, fans of any team should be happy when their team shows a commitment to buying promising players because it at least shows they give a damn about being winning.

5. Stacy Richardson says:

I think this is a good signing for Arsenal. But I would like to think another veteran player or two is also on the way.

6. Jake Islas says:

As an Arsenal supporter, this gives me ZERO relief. Yes, I’m glad we got a young up and coming star, but this is another project. The kid is 17. This is now what we need right now, and definitely could have spend the 12 mil on a CB.

He may turn out to be a really great player years down the road, but Arsenal are supposed to be making signings to improve our squad for THIS season. This is getting ridiculous.

• MUFCforlife says:

There’s still plenty of time left in the transfer market and I feel Arsenal can get either Gary Cahill or Chris Samba for around the same price as Chamberlain.

• Jake Islas says:

Yes, but those transfers need to have happened already, season starts in 5 short days. Mertesacker is now available and if we don’t get one of those 3 it will show the priorities of Wenger. Whom you would think after the disappointment of last season, would be first to spend.

Also, he’s willing to spend the 12 mil on a kid, but not the 20M or 21M required to get Mata before his clause ran out. It’s just frustrating. United won the league and went out and bought a GK and a CB (which Arsenal need, moreso a CB) and Ashley Young, and Arsenal buys 2 kids, and are looking at another in that Costa Rican striker.

And Nasri and/or Fabregas still might leave.

That’s where the frustration and doubt lie.

• MUFCforlife says:

I won’t lie, I understand the frustration. Being an Arsenal fan is tough right now. I still feel Chamberlain will be a good signing but a defender is truly needed. At this point, do u really want Nasri or Fabregas after they haven’t showed their undying support for the club. U guys have talented midfielders in Wilshere, Ramsey and Arshavin. I would use the money from dealing Nasri or Fabregas(or both) to get a defender and Mata but I understand the doubt surrounding Arsenal’s activity in the market.

• Jake Islas says:

I don’t want Fabregas or Nasri at this point if they aren’t committed. I would say it’s partially the club’s fault though as they’re not showing enough ambition by making signings, but for Nasri it’s obviously about the fact that his salary will be doubled at City, and Cesc is just being a baby. So get rid of em.

But it should have been done already so we could put that money to strengthening the squad weeks ago. Wenger was already given money to spend at the beginning of the summer which he hasn’t used all of, plus the money coming from Nasri, Cesc, or both could bring in some major proven talent. We’re talking around 60m plus the 40 or so mil promised at the end of last season. That’s unreal.

• MUFCforLife says:

Rooney was saying the same thing when everyone thought he was leaving. He still stuck with the team and I honestly that’s just a cover or excuse that gets in front of why they aren’t really happy. Fabregas is a baby that just wants to go to Barca and Nasri thinks the club is useless and isn’t paid enough so he wants to go to City. To me, they both have acted in a fashion that Arsenal shouldn’t tolerate.
            Arsenal are taking their sweet time but I have a feeling Arsenal may sign Cahill or Samba on deadline day with the money from either or both Fabregas and Nasri. I still think Mata is a possibility even though he’s more expensive now.

• Dave says:

Valencia need money so I doubt they will go above the 21 mil that ran out. I’m guessing Juan Mata will surprise everyone if and when it happens.

• Jake Islas says:

Trophies heal all wounds. Rooney got a staggering contract and United won the league, total contrast to Arsenal and Nasri. If Arsenal won a trophy and gave him 180,0000/week I’m sure he would be happy too.

Arsenal should definitely not tolerate this crap from Fabregas or Nasri. But they have to make moves to show they’re serious and show that Nasri and Cesc can get the hell out and they’ll be fine.

• MUFCforlife says:

I agree with you Jake. If Nasri actually showed his commitment to the club, then he probably would be paid 180,000/week. However, he doesn’t and therefore isn’t worth the expense or frustration. Arsenal should sell him and Fabregas and use that money to help the defense and other needs of the squad as well as furthur develop a promising young tea, with the likes Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, Gervinho and Chamberlain when he’s a little older.

7. AtlantaPompey says:

The firesale at St. Mary’s has begun. I hope they enjoy sitting in second in the table, because it won’t last.

Play Up Pompey!

8. Dave says:

I think Wenger is going to sign two CBs not one and people will be surprised. I see the wisdom of waiting as he knows what young players may be ready etc, but with Newcastle on Sat and Tuesday’s CL tie he’s cutting it close.

Arsenal may have to sent the 2nd team for NUFC so they are more prepared for Tuesday which strategically is more important.

Also Arsenal will have an all homegrown midfield potentially with Frimpong, Wilshere, Ramsey and Chamberlain. And with Jenkinson (whom I think is quite good and hasn’t got credit), Gibbs and possibly Cahill that will be a very English (save Ramsey who is Welsh) club for one that’s been criticized over the years for being too foreign.

I think also another forward and possibly midfielder is coming as Chamberlain and Campbell will be on Carling Cup duty and late subs me thinks.

9. This season is going to be wonderful.Villa boas will surprise everybody

10. Earl Reed says:

Wonder if Wenger is simply waiting for any Fabregas money to hit the books before grabbing defensive help. Also, they may end up with some cash should Arshavin move back to Eastern Europe somewhere.

• MUFCforLife says:

Don’t think Arshavin will leave yet but that will also free up their transfer budget as well. I really don’t think we have heard the last from Arsenal this summer.

11. Justin says:

Is he a centre-back? Not sure why they would sign anyone other than a centre-back. Maybe two centre-backs. Also, have they replaced Clichy yet? How many goals will they give up from set pieces at Newcastle this weekend. How many points dropped? Will the season be over before September? Will Nasri be completely demoralized with the same old problems going unaddressed? Priorities for Arsenal this transfer window were: 2 centre-backs, at least 1 GK, 1 left back, and probably a CDM who actually wants to play in that position. What have they signed so far? 3 forward oriented wingers. This is probably the season they drop from the CL places.

12. Dave says:

Arsenal have several windows open to bring players in, if some close faster than others you shouldn’t take it at prioritizing or lack of focus. When a team says yes on what you are negotiating you move quickly to close as was the case with Chamberlain who was linked to several teams for some time. Same thing with Joel Campbell who will likely go out on loan a season because of work permit issues.

I’m of the mind that the press are usually wrong which is why like this move they didn’t see it coming. Same will be with their new signings and transfers out. Don’t be surprised if Wenger brings in another striker and 2 defensive backs as well as another midfielder as Nasri and Cesc leave.

Although I read Cesc and Nasri have been listed for Champions League, probably to get Barca and City to move quicker.

13. micheal says:

i don’t believe wenger can lifted any trophy these season, on till he go for good and exprience playmake who can play with their (EXP).he should ready to spend, if you spend you will gain.