WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL
MAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV
ZEN

Champions League: The New Drug for the Mid-Table Premier League Footballer

The place is foreign but familiar. Alien yet indigenous. He had been here before – in dreams and on TV – but this time it’s different. As London’s Royal Philharmonic Orchestra blares over the speaker system, the gravity of the occasion materializes and suddenly White Hart Lane feels eons away.

The men in the legendary blue and black stripes flaunt brand-new gold and white champions badges stitched to their sternum as nearly 50,000 flag-waving, chanting supporters pile into the San Siro in hopes of intimidating the Champions League newcomer from North London.

On the same ground where Helenio Herrera established the defensive-minded catenaccio and La Grande Inter won the second of back-to-back European Cups in 1965, a 21-year old Welsh footballer played on the biggest stage of his young career on a Wednesday night in October and set the football world ablaze with an intoxicating display of grace and skill.

Despite falling to the Nerazzurri 4-3, Tottenham’s Gareth Bale had arrived in grand fashion. In the return leg, Bale again abused Inter’s Maicon repeatedly, flicking in a pair of delightful crosses to meet the feet of Roman Pavlyuchenko and Peter Crouch.

Spurs quickly became the darlings of the tournament and sent Inter’s San Siro roommates, AC Milan, packing in the knockout stage before being throttled by Real Madrid in the quarter-finals.

But the damage had already been done. Bale, in particular, had shown up on Europe’s biggest stage and not only commanded the spotlight, he dominated it. He seemed made for the moment, destined to drag his team to victory. For the young Welshman, playing at such an elite level of competition was the stuff dreams are made off – before it quickly evaporated as Spurs sputtered in league play and wound up missing out on a Champions League spot for next season.

Bale’s tremendous performance and desire to thrive on a continental level has undoubtedly led to transfer speculation and inquiries from top European clubs regarding his availability. While Bale hasn’t openly said he is looking for a transfer to a Champions League club, the same cannot be said about multiple other mid-table stars seeking to steal the spotlight at the next level.

Aston Villa winger Ashley Young outlined his desire to play in Champions League on June 6th, saying in an interview that, “I want to test myself at World Cups, European Championships and the Champions League. As a kid you always want to play in the best competitions. As a kid I wanted to play in the Champions League—and hopefully one day I will.” And while it’s not a done deal quite yet, it’s no secret that the suits at Old Trafford have been keen on Young and are still in process of trying to bring the England international to Manchester.

Only one day after Young’s comments, Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey also expressed that if a Champions League club came calling, it’d be hard for him to stay at Craven Cottage. “Right now I’m thinking about Europe and playing in the Champions League. That’s a goal,” Dempsey said. “Everyone wants to play at the highest level. If someday I get the opportunity to play for a big club in the Champions League, that would be great. I’d be lying if I said that wasn’t a dream. But at the same time you have to make the most of where you are.”

Another hot commodity this summer will be Blackpool captain Charlie Adam. Considering that the Tangerines will be plying their trade in the Championship next season, Adam is almost certain to leave – with Liverpool most likely to make another run at the former Glasgow Rangers youth system product.

In light of the smoke and mirrors that is the transfer window; it shouldn’t surprise anyone to see talented footballers willing to leave their current clubs for the opportunity to chase European glory. And in the modern-day Prem, that type of glory has only been provided by a handful of clubs. In the 12 seasons since Manchester United completed the treble in 1999, Arsenal (12), United (12), Chelsea (9) and Liverpool (8) have combined to claim 41 of the Prem’s 44 Champions League group stage spots. The only other clubs to reach the group stage since 2000 were Leeds United in ’01, Newcastle United in ’03 and of course, Spurs.

This isn’t to say that I advocate when big clubs go in and raid mid-table clubs of their young talent, but it’s inevitable considering how much that top clubs are able to spend after collecting additional revenue from making and performing well in the tournament (for example, 09-10 champions Inter made 49 million euros for winning the tournament and runners-up Bayern Munich made 44 million). Maybe Manchester City will become the first club in over a decade to make more than just a cameo Champions League appearance, but only time will tell as Liverpool seeks to restore the “old guard” (from 2005-2010 MUFC, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool were the only English clubs to make the group stage).

As for now, the writing is on the wall for players like Bale, Dempsey, Young and Adam. Bale has already had a taste of how addicting chilly European nights can be and it’s only a matter of time before a new crop of Premier League stars soon find out.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Champions League: The New Drug for the Mid-Table Premier League Footballer

1. BD says:

Looks like someone got their hands on a thesaurus……

2. tonyspeed says:

Clint Dempsey shouldn’t hold his breath. The only team I could see with a remote possibility of Champions League action is Liverpool.

• Troy says:

tony, I agree. I think Dempsey playing for a CL club is more of a pipe dream for him. It’s hard to imagine a club making a run at him when he’s already on the wrong side of 25 and there’s younger talent to be had.

• Keith says:

Yeah but Dempsey is cheaper and I think a team like Arsenal could use a key guy like Dempsey coming off the bench or starting when RVP is hurt again. Would you rather start him or Bendtner (ignoring Dempsey’s missed goal last night)?

• Troy says:

Solid point. If Arsenal do lose Nasri and Cesc, there may be a place for Dempsey to work. I think with Dempsey, someone could take a chance on him and be relatively confident that despite how he performs on the field, the club will still sell a decent amount of kits in the U.S.
          When I was researching for this piece, I stumbled onto a Fulham forum (I think it was Cottage Corner) and they were tearing him to shreds. Maybe a FFC supporter could chime in and give me a little insight on their general opinion of Dempsey.

3. PaulFromMiami says:

I got no problem with Young saying that he wants to paly CL football. He is good enough. As for Dempsey, I dont think a team looking for CL glory will look him up as an option so he shouldn’t hold his breath.

4. Jason says:

After Dempsey’s horrible miss last night against Guadaloupe and poor performance overall I doubt any top team will come knocking on his door. He is a decent player but definitely top-class. He wouldn’t be able to get into the first team of any top 6 EPL teams. Maybe a backup.

5. Jason says:

Oops! That should have read “He is a decent player but definitely NOT top-class.”

6. MyTwoCents says:

On a somewhat unrelated note, I wanted to mention that this is one of the better articles I’ve read on EPLTalk in awhile. Not to say that other articles aren’t well written and informative, but I liked that this one was objective. It wasn’t about painting a team in a certain light.

Not to say I don’t like those articles (I’m a Spurs fan!) But, I’d like to see a balance between articles that are specific to teams and articles that feature an overall look at the EPL. I feel like [lately] the site features more articles that tend towards specific teams’ viewpoints. Again, it’s not a bad thing, but if I want to read Spurs news I usually go to a site that covers Spurs exclusively.

/MyTwoCents

7. Andyb says:

I can’t believe people are actually saying Dempsey has the quality to play for an English side in the champions league!!!! He is no where near good enough!!!!!!! He wouldn’t even be able to get on the bench of any top 6 side in the premier league, especially after this transfer window with all the new talent joining /set to join the clubs!!!!!!!!

However I do think he could play in the champions league – but for a side like Cluj, Zilina, Rubin Kazan or Auxerre.

Young I can see starting for a big side like United or Chelsea – and I think Adam wouldn’t get in the starting line up of the top 4, but maybe for a side like Spurs who have aspirations of champions league football.

8. dennis says:

For a guy who has gotten better each year in the epl scores big goals which is why some of you lads maybe hatting on dempsey but he is versatle play striker cam or lefte right attacking wing and scored more goals then half the bust signings by big clubs last year cough cough cough torres…….. he fights hard and willing to attack and play defense just another clash of hatting on americans ooh and he proably has scored 3 of the best goals in england over the past 2 years portsmouth, juventus, and sank liverpool to stop relegation i love fulham letem stay