SAT, 7AM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
QPR
SUN

Manchester City: The Poachers of the Transfer Market

Posted on by Nik Arur

rooney manchester city Manchester City: The Poachers of the Transfer Market

Ever since Sheikh Mansour’s takeover at Eastlands, money has been pumped into Manchester City at an ungodly rate. World-class players from every major league in Europe have been bought with the intent of propelling the club to domestic and European glory. Admittedly, the takeover has made quite an impact on the club’s success. City finished tenth in the League in 2008, the first season of Mansour’s reign, and have progressed each year until this past season, when they qualified for Champions League play for the first time in their history. You can read Brian Connell’s article for a more in-depth analysis of the transfers City have made since 2008. However my goal is to shed light on the scores of rumors that have surrounded the club regarding their plans this coming summer.

Of all the Premier League clubs, City has easily been the one linked to the most players this summer. They are reportedly in the race to sign Sergio Aguero, Alexis Sanchez, Javier Pastore, Gary Cahill, Gervinho and Jan Vertonghen, amongst several others. Now, there’s no telling if some of these are legitimate pursuits or whether they’re linked simply because they’re City and that’s what City does, but the mere fact that all of these big names are being mentioned highlights the problem with their squad structure. City already boasts the largest first-team squad in the Premier League, with a plethora of excellent players struggling to get playing time. If even half of these rumored transfers end up making their way to Eastlands, this problem will be grossly exacerbated. Even more worrying for City fans is the fact that not many current City players have been rumored to leave Eastlands thus far (only Jerome Boateng and possibly Carlos Tevez come to mind, currently.)

The problem is that the club simply has too much money to burn, and burning is exactly what they’re doing to that money. Rather than develop their existing squad, Mansour and Mancini simply want to keep adding to it. Whether they genuinely believe that they’re strengthening their squad or if they simply want to snap up players before their League rivals can get their signatures, it is clearly a problem. They are not really taking into account their squad’s weaknesses with these transfers, either, but rather simply trying to sign as many big names as possible.

Look at Chelsea, for example. Like City, they too have a billionaire sugar daddy in Roman Abramovich. The West London outfit, however, seem to be much more focused and direct in terms of who they’re going after this summer. Chelsea have been linked with the likes of Neymar, Romelu Lukaku, Luka Modric, Wesley Sneijder, Javier Pastore and Christian Eriksen. They seem to be looking to address two positions for the most part: striker and center-midfielder, both positions where their squad needs a facelift. Torres needs a strike partner that will complement his strengths, while there has been a creative void in the heart of Chelsea’s midfield for quite some time. Their transfer strategy is much more likely than City’s to bring them success in the coming season, and I can say I’ll be genuinely afraid of the strength of Chelsea’s squad.

In short, Manchester City need to buckle down and assess their game-plan in the transfer market before they completely go out of control with spending. From my perspective on the red half of Manchester, however, I can’t say I’d be too displeased if they continued in their wayward direction.

This entry was posted in Leagues: EPL, Manchester City. Bookmark the permalink.

106 Responses to Manchester City: The Poachers of the Transfer Market

1. Ade says:

the notion that City have the biggest first team is one of the biggest myths in football. Sure, maybe if you count all of the loanees, but United have a very similar number, if not more.

City are merely linked to dozens and dozens of players because it sells newspapers. Agents say the club are interested in their player to help drive up price. Fact is, City have a very specific way of identifying targets and then making an offer for them; this isn’t fantasy football or anything where dozens of bids to various players are made, something that I think the casual fan views the clubs transfer policy.

I don’t think anyone outside of City fans will read the following article, but it shows what goes into City’s spending, it isn’t as freewheeling as people think (at least under Mancini).

Cheers.

• Nik Arur says:

You’re right about them having similar squad numbers, that’s my mistake. I guess the only distinction I would make between the two is that, if you look at United’s squad list, I would say that many more of those players are either on loan or playing for the Youth team than City’s squad, comparatively. I guess what I’m saying is that City has a lot more players from their first team simply warming the bench and not getting any football than any other club that I can think of.

I’m not sure if I agree with you about the whole “it sells newspapers” bit. Most of the links that are made state that “bids have been made” or “negotiations have begun” etc. and I really don’t believe news outlets would blatantly lie in order to sell, especially considering I can get pretty much any football news I want freely online. These outlets have to be focused on accuracy of their stories. Going along with that, it’s clear that City is linked with more players than any other club is, generally speaking. Of course, rumors are by no means a certainty, but there has to be at least some concrete evidence of interest shown by a club for a news outlet to start speculating about it.

I’m interested in that article. Looks like they definitely are at least a little cerebral in their dealings, but part of me still believes that they really do go after a lot of players with intent to sign. Guess we’ll see this summer.

• Paolo says:

I work for a newspaper, buddy. And at least 80% of rumours are journalistic conjecture.
        The thing is, I don’t mind reasoned, thought out criticism of City, especially of how the team can sometimes be a little dull to watch. It’s this lazy, recycled, thought-free nonsense that winds me up. You’ve just not thought this through at all.

• Kaptain Kompany says:

I agree with Paolo. And City actually has a smaller registered 1st team squad than most other clubs, ours just earns more money. We also gave 9 U-21 players a debut this year….

2. Kody says:

These are RUMORS that you are citing as the basis of an article on what is purported to be a legitimate website. Why not wait until City make some actual signings?

3. Paolo says:

I’m guessing this clown is being deliberately dimwitted and provocative. If not, he should think about writing about knitting. Read The Indie’s piece and *understand*.

4. Mike says:

Quick get on the phone to Mancini and Shiekh Mansour and tell them where it’s all going wrong……hahahaha.

These people are no mugs and it is for the very same reason that you have been prompted to write this article. The recruitment strategy at City has been very successful so far. Mancini knows exactly what he needs and has the support of the club, they are not idiots as much as you wish they were.

I’m glad you underestimate us next season as I cant wait to see your supporters faces when you face the prospect of mediocrity while your likkle neighbours run riot and upset everybody even more.

Us blues have been warning your fans for years about your demise and still many of you are in denial. Cant wait to see how loyal your global fan base is are when you slip into mid table and beyond.

5. mark says:

We are lookingat a creative midfielder and a Central Defender with possibly a left back, nothing more. We may be in for another striker if Tevez f**ks off. This is an ill thought article from someone who admits to being a red c**t, probably from f**king Surrey, tw*t.

6. manchesterisblue says:

Ahh the irony … you spout anti city sentiments and call city fans bitter. I guess you can’t get used to not being relevant to blues anymore, we get on with supporting our club, you write about us.

United busdriver on league parade duty : “Rio – do you want me to drop you lads off after the reception”
    Rio : “True Dat”
    Driver : “If you have a whip round i’ll take the fans home too”

• Nik Arur says:

I never called anyone bitter, mate, not sure where that’s coming from. If it came across as inflammatory I apologize.

• Woodsy says:

You never called anyone bitter? Are you mental?

“Let me start off by admitting that I am a die-hard Manchester United fan, but I will try and keep my analysis of our bitter cross-town rivals as objective as possible.”

Did someone else write that then?

You are the exact reason why people hate Manchester United. Utter numpties who have no clue about football but feel compelled to comment about the very subject that have no clue about!

Do us all a favour and stop writing! Your quite simply no good at it!

• Nik Arur says:

All it means is that United and City are bitter rivals……..not sure if you know what that means but it’s simply a fact. I’m not calling the team bitter, I’m saying the rivalry is bitter, which is simply something said when describing two teams that don’t like each other. I thought that was extremely clear, but I guess one or two of you read it wrong, so I apologize for the way it came across but honestly in my opinion it’s quite clear what I said.

7. rooneycheatswithwhores says:

And you feel you compeld write this article on city because?
    Have you ever wrote an article this length on your own team?
    It seams lots of supporters from other teams seam compeld to voice their concerns on how we run our club.
    It really does amaze me.

Never the less good luck for the new season.

• Nik Arur says:

My first article on this site had to do with United’s plans this summer, a couple of days ago, so yes I have. Sorry it came across as insulting, I truly didn’t mean to be inflammatory in any way.

8. MUFC77 says:

Citys first team squad is no bigger than any other EPL squad, they register 25 players just like every other team, in terms of depth/strength they might be bigger that others but that’s the benefit of having money to spend.

9. King Eric says:

as a die hard united fan i sure hope you didn’t choose the image for your article.

• The Gaffer says:

Naah, that was my doing!

• King Eric says:

thought so ha. if i ever write a piece for this site, i expect to see/approve the photo before it’s released :)

• Guy says:

Not gonna happen, Eric….and that goes for the title as well. ;-)

Editor’s decision. SOP in journalism.

• Nik Arur says:

Actually, The Gaffer has kept all my titles the same.

• King Eric says:

ya, they just have to approve it that’s all. i was sports editor and editor-in-chief after that for my school paper back in the day, so i know how it works. if i were to come up with something good enough then i’m sure he’d approve it.

• Guy says:

Still down to the editor, but we wont quibble.

Bring it on, Eric. The Gaffer did ask for new blood the other day. :-)

10. Tevez32 says:

Spare us these foreign, glory hunting rags telling us how our team should be run. This one’s from Virginia in the USA ffs. I’d stick to that rounders game if I was you pal.

• Nik Arur says:

Not sure:

a) How me being from the States makes a difference at all. I have no problem with you disliking my article, but don’t act as if American fans of the PL are inferior simply because they’re American.

b) How you even know I’m from Virginia, that’s some grade-A stalking on your part.

c) What rounders even is in the first place.

• Why? says:

Haha funny, Rounders is a game like your baseball that girls play in England while at school a bit like football in the US That made me laugh.

• Tevez32 says:

Not stalking mate, just a facebook search. Standard practice when I spot a non-manc united fan giving their views on my beloved, home town, club. I’m surprised you didn’t slip in a ‘citeh’ or two into your article ;-)

• Woodsy says:

You calling it the PL says it all!!

11. Marshall says:

Half of the “squad bloat” is on the way out – Santa Cruz, Caicedo, Bellamy, Wright-Phillips, Onuoha, Bridge, Jo, and Adebayor are certain to leave. Boateng is close to joining Bayern and Given looks set to move. Vieira’s future is unclear. Tevez may leave but no one knows. 6 reserve players have just been cut. Many of these were out on loan after the January window, leaving City actually short-staffed at times contrary to the myth that the bench and reserves is full of “amazing” talent. I’d go as far to say that for the second half of last season Spurs had more in depth, when quality players like Krancjar couldn’t get on the pitch. City will rid itself of the players Mancini has no wish of and replace them with a smaller selection of experienced and young talent. As for the rumors, I have been keeping tabs and we’ve been linked to around 55 players in the summer window already – do you truly believe we’ll sign even 10 of those?

12. Brock says:

A very poor article based purely on speculation. It is a fact that City have in fact been very quiet regarding transfers. What has been declared is that they are looking to offload a number of fringe players. City only registered 23 of the 25 allowedlast year.

13. James says:

The only reason these spring to mind is because you have no idea what you are on about. You are just repeating nonsense spouted by the Man U loving media. (Where is the hysteria about 16m for a nobody like Phil Jones eh?)

Anyway FYI these players are all linked with moves from City this summer:

Adebayor, Tevez, Bellamy, Bridge, Roque Santa Cruz, Caicedo, SWP, Given, Boateng, Jo. There is 10 potential leavers for starters, then we have young players going out on loan like Weiss and Boyata.

Definitely not an objective article and certainly misinformed. Keep up the crap work, remember, every bit of ignorant jealousy like this helps us get stronger, and we will be stronger than you next season just you wait.

• Why? says:

James I think your being a bit hard as apparently Jones is one of the best players in the World, well according to the Utd loving media the minute they were connected to him. I had never heard of him till a few months ago even then only just. P.S 16m may end up being a lot more! If it was City it would be City over pay for unknown nobody.

• tublu says:

bit harsh suggesting old merlot breath has overpaid for underwhelming talent. Next you’ll be telling me he bought obertan, anderson, bebe, djemba whatsit, owen, valencia, smalling, kucsak, john o’shite, tangoman, carrick and countless others who make me chuckle when they run around aimlessly

14. Lee says:

There literally is no point in this article existing, its a raft of opinions from the author with no evidence to back up his points. I am not certain, but I know that it is highly likely this author is not from Manchester, as he supports United.

Only Tevez and Boateng leaving? Read up son. Also, the comments about a big squad size are ludicrous, everyone has to register 25 players and that is your squad!

On a side note, the picture is also incorrect, Rooney plays for United, a club that is not in Manchester, no matter how much they wish they were.

15. Daniel Ogden says:

Wait one minuite……first of all why is a “die hard united fan” writing on a Man City blog? hmmmmm.
    Secondly you seem to fall short of information about targets for other clubs…..let me inform you……
    Jo – Everton for around £7m,
    Onhoua – Sunderland £8m after the sale of Gyan,
    Boyata – Everton and Aston Villa Loan,
    Caicedo – French league £3m
    Given – £8m many teams in the running,
    Boateng – Byern Munich £10m,
    Logan – Released free,
    Vieira – out of contract and heading back to arsenal free,
    Wright-Phillips Everton – Aston Villa, Liverpool and Bolton £5m
    Adebayor Real Madrid £12m,
    Bellamy dont know yet, but will defo be leaving £5m,
    Santa Cruz Blackburn £5m,
    Tevez possibly Chelsea £50m.

So if i have my calculations right that makes £113m. Thats thirteen players all leaving Eastlands this summer, with what, possibly 4 or 5 players coming in. I think in the real world that is what you call making a club smaller!!

Also, you can not compare this to the Chelsea of now. Chelsea have had their money for longer that what City have, and have had more time to bring in the right sort of players and make an impressive team.
    We have had 2 seasons, and remember Rome wasnt built in a day.

So maybe someone needs to do some research before they come up with a load of tosh that means nothing.

Im sure all you City fans will agree with me on this one.

God that feels nice to get that off my chest :)

• Matt says:

i don’t understand how someone with actual living brain cells can make this comment. you literally just imagined about a dozen deals into existence. the fact of the matter is that it is pretty unlikely that you are able to sell all of those players. for instance, real don’t want ade at the price you are demanding. given i can only see going to celtic, but wages are a real stumbling block for that. and the 8m fee you list for him is ludicrous. i especially love how for onuoha you not only made up his deal, but stated that it would happen after another deal that you just make up out of thin air. sunderland are really light at striker, they aren’t just gonna sell their club record signing and only decent striker out of the blue. if someone pays 7m for jo i will laugh myself into a coma.

essentially, you have just illustrated the point that this article was trying to make (whether it did so effectively or not). you would need to sell about a dozen and only bring in a few to get the squad size under control.

additionally, i think there is some difference between city and united’s bloated roster (and i’m not a fan of either. quite hate them both actually); united have a lot of younger players they loan out, like cleverley, welbeck, macheda, amos. city have the alarming issue of having experienced players on huge wages out on loan, like bellamy, santa cruz, bridge. there is a massive difference between the two types of players. city definitely have young players out on loan too, but i can’t think of any veterans on 50k+ that united have loaned out at all.

• tublu says:

matt, are you being provocative, tongue-in-cheek or just fekkin dim ?
        Read this and try to remember it. Squad sizes are limited by the premier league rules. got that ? sure ? btw, IT’S NOT A FEKKIN ROSTER. That’s something you lot have for your rounders,netball and armoured rugby.

• ibro says:

Best answer.. he just reiterated the point the article poorly states.

• Matt says:

you act as if the 25 man squad rule helps the problem when in fact it makes it FAR worse. it simply means that they have a lot of players that aren’t even eligible to play so lol at you for acting like it isn’t an issue.

• Brian says:

Not sure where you are getting the Jo to Everton rumor from, but that’s one of the worst ones I’ve ever seen. Jo already came here on loan once, and pissed Moyes off after he went home without telling the club over the winter, and acted extremely poor. Nevermind the fact that Everton don’t have 7 million pounds to spend yet in the transfer season, you may want to check your information

16. King Eric says:

as a united supporter this is just all wrong and giving our fan base in general, especially in the states a bad rep. because of subjective opionions like these. simply stating that he was trying to be objective only makes it worse when it’s not. put the speculation aside and just wait and see how it all pans out by the time the transfer window is closed – way too early for these kinds of assumptions and criticism.

• Melon Man says:

Wow, a reasoned post from a Red, would you credit it?

Well said KIng Eric, I think you know United will spend as much as, if not more, than City this transfer window, thus leading to accusations of hypocrisy at those fans who dismiss City’s spending as “scattergun” and immoral.

17. Joel Mac says:

Manchester United bought Rio Ferdinand, that transfer fee for ONE player was four times the transfer budget for the WHOLE SEASON for Manchester City.

Yes Manchester city are spending lots! Yes they can out bid any other club. But that’s what United have done for 20 years! Just because the media is bias towards United and no one said anything when united were spending 30 million pounds on individual players TEN years ago.

Let’s be fair and honest. City are doing what united have always done. And still teams like Newcastle, everton, villa are left with the scraps that are left because they can’t compete financially. Good luck to City for getting in there with the elite! Let’s hope one day everyone can match City AND UNITED!

• MUFC77 says:

I guess part of the reason its a big deal when city spend that kind of money is because it comes from a rich owner where as the likes of Utds money was made by being successful on the pitch and selling the Man Utd brand worldwide, doesn’t make it right but that’s just the way a lot of people seem to view it.

I don’t remember Blackburn rovers getting as much bad press when they did the same thing back in the early 90s, it wasn’t on the same level but they had more money to spend because of Jack walker. Hell Chelsea did the same thing and it wasn’t as big a deal either.

• Russ the blue says:

United’s money was made by Sky TV, the prem and champs league dishing out money to them because they just happened to be the best club when Sky etc came along.

Sky sold United’s brand worldwide not United which is why Sky tried to buy their creation, united for 700 million when 10 years earlier it was not worth 20 million (michael knighton failed take over)

Manchester United have been very very lucky buying success year after year funded by TV money. Uniteds sugar daddy was TV money and exposure. City have a different sugar daddy.

Unlike United who have had 20 years for their sugar daddies to invest in them City have a very short space of time before Platini’s keep the big clubs big and the small clubs small rules come into play. Thats why we have to spend money fast and buy a lot of players, thats why it appears we waste money. We are playing catch up and have very little time to do it

• Why? says:

Here we go again, what success did Utd have when they spent £18+m in the 1980′s compared to City’s £3-6m does that not count?

18. Nik Arur says:

Listen all, I’m the first to admit when I’m wrong and I can definitely see where you all are coming from. Definitely an ill-conceived post research-wise, now that I look it over again. I guess I was just looking at it through red-tinted glasses. Sorry for the shoddy work and I hope my next post will be more well-received. I also want to make sure everyone knows that I meant no disrespect to City or its fans, however my post may have come across.

Cheers

• IrmoBlues says:

Nik, let me pit it to you in a way you might understand. It would be like a Red Sox fan trying to write an objective article about the Yankee’s…. Won’t happen, don’t try.

19. Jeff says:

Great article. I’ve been saying this all along. Their spending is absolutely obnoxious. That’s why I respect Chelsea so much more than City. City gets Edin Dzeko in January for no reason other than he’s the most expensive guy available. They overpaid for an almost worthless acquisition.

I don’t doubt Dzeko needs some time to adjust and will probably be better next year. But the fact of the matter is they had 4 strikers last year. Adebayor was one who fell out of favor. At the time of his transfer, Arsenal sold high and benefited. They have an unlimited bank account so there’s zero fallback. City will continue to overpay for guys and they may make top 4 epl next year. But one thing’s for certain, they will never beat Barca because Barca develops guys and buys guys who are relevant to their team’s needs.

• bnbn says:

What a complete idiot you sound like. “City gets Edin Dzeko in January for no reason other than he’s the most expensive guy available. ” Are you a moron do you realize how ridiculous that sounds. City have 3 strikers in Tevez Balotelli and Dzeko yes 3!! strikers everyone else who can play up front are either for loan or for sale. Adebayor left and Dzeko came in you plank so get your facts right before you start spouting this piss!
      Yes Barcelona’s model for breeding their own is very commendable though they have a much bigger wage bill than City. Why are you bringing Arsenal into this yes there business model is great but football is about winning trophys and what have Arsenal won in the last 6 years you twat.
      Finally i think you will find though it has not been as successful as Barca’s academy City have bred more players from their youth to the first team in the last ten years! Than any other club in the premier league. Do everyone a favor and get educated before you comment.

• Jeff says:

Dzeko did what for Man City so far? He was garbage. They buy guys like Robinho and Adebayor, two talented players. And they do nothing for them because they find themselves in secondary roles. I think Dzeko will figure it out. I’m not sold on Balotelli though.

The author of this article was referring to the excess they have at each position. Real Madrid does the same thing, except they attract the better talent because they have legacy.

• Dickov legend says:

Dzeko scored the equaliser against Notts County in the FA cup keeping us in the competition which, as we all know, city went on to win. He made the equaliser against united at old Trafford which had it not been for rooneys spectacular goal would’ve won us a great point. He scored two superb goals against Aris in Europe which won us the tie. He scored the winner against Blackburn pretty much guaranteeing champions league football and then he scored the vital 2nd goal against Bolton which secured 3rd place.
          I think he did well, I think he’s a good player.

• TGN says:

How about mentioning David Silva? An abosulte gem of a player who can match the Barca midfield for close control and distribution? Yaya was huge bucks but was a monster in all the right ways? They win some and lose some, just like any other club, but on a bigger scale transfer wise.

And Chelsea is the last team I would use as an example. Nando cost how much and did how much?

This old boy supporters club mentality is kinda childish. And I don’t support Citeh.

• TGN says:

How about David Silva? A player who can match the Barca midfield in close control and passing ability? Yaya was big money and came through big. All teams win some and lose some. The scale of the transfers doesn’t make them worse than anyone else.

And using Chelsea, how is their 50 mil purchase of Torres somehow better than Man City spending half on Dezko? They spent 73+ in January but they are not as obnoxious? Apples to apples.

Not a citeh fan but the old boy supporters clubs are condescending sometimes.

• Steve says:

“But one thing’s for certain, they will never beat Barca because Barca develops guys and buys guys who are relevant to their team’s needs.”

How is spending millions of dollars all over the world luring young players in any different from buying already developed players in the transfer market?

• Jeff says:

For one, developing players is the way better investment because they are familiar with the organizational philosophies and don’t cost much money. Two of City’s best players are homegrown, Richards and Hart.

• Steve says:

How is developing a kid for a decade any cheaper or better than buying players?

I don’t have a problem with either way, but the whole “well Messi was free!” bit I constantly hear is nonsensical and ridiculous.

• Kaptain Kompany says:

Your absolutely right. Barcelona does buy people relevant to their team’s needs. They buy all the Champions League Referee’s

20. john says:

Fair play to you, author, for the rebuttal of your piece, nice to see someone take responsibility when their missives fail. Please don’t take any of the criticisms personally, us blues have to put up with 10 of these articles a day, along with the media making up rubbish too, so we are a little touchy at the mo. Please keep on writing, but be sure to check before you publish, as you are going to be critiqued every time you press that button.

I would also like to wish you well for next season, but that would be a lie.

Forza mancini. Forza city.

21. john says:

But as for Jeff…nice full sentences there mate. Well done. Gold star.

• Jeff says:

Just so you know, I’m a Tottenham fan. And even though I love Modric, my prediction is City gives us a large sum of money and we part ways with him. We’ll recoup our losses by getting Scott Parker and maybe a striker.

Modric would work really well with David Silva in that midfield.

22. Sean says:

Nik, you are man enough to apologise and admit you were a little hasty in the content of your article. Fair enough.

23. Tevez32 says:

We last beat them, at their place, in 2009. So your one certain thing is bollocks, pal.

• Jeff says:

Anything can happen in one game. Hercules beat Barca early in the La Liga season in Camp Nou. And that game actually counted.

I was referring to if City were to advance far enough in the Champions League to play Barca.

24. bluemoon70 says:

How many players have City (not the media) actually CONFIRMED that they are going after so far this summer?

One? Two? Three? Whatever the number, it’s less than Liverpool or Man U or Chelsea have actually SIGNED.

Eventually, people will have to accept that Man City has crashed the party and they are here to stay. Being bitter is not going to change that.

25. Joel Mac says:

City have had one if the best if not thee best youth programme in the premier league for ten years or so. Where did that get us? No where! Spurs spent a fortune to get to the level they have got too. But they have been smart and got a good return on a few players.

My point is this, how would City, Spurs, Villa, Everton etc. Ever be truly huge without lots and lots of money? Football is nothing like the 60′s – 90′s. It’s an elite business where the rich thrive and the poor struggle. Our youth programme was great but got us no where as good players are not going to stay once they’re wanted by richer clubs. Now this is football, its the modern game. And that game is played by the rich. Let’s not forget the glazers as we all call city. Let’s be fair and accept united, chelsea, barca, Madrid etc are at the top and the only way anyone who was not at the top over the last decade can join the party is to have a rich owner.

Also city have invested millions to carry on and improve the youth set up so we can buy great players but also raise great players. But to get the ball rolling and get in the elite club city have had to invest massively in improving the squad. Let’s all be real and fair and accept this is football now and the future is full of Arabs, Chinese and the likes of the glazers. I just hope other great English clubs like Newcastle get there day!

• Why? says:

Unfortunately Newcastle won’t get their day as UEFA’s new FFP rules or stop the premier league from becoming more powerful rules more like it make investment highly unlikely as you need to spend big to get up there, then it takes time for the money and success to follow. I seem to remember them having a go a few years back though, granted they never won anything but they were up there with the top teams.

26. CiTyBlUe says:

Prime example of a United fan so bored of their own club that they have to spout off about Manchester CITY, as is totally clear youre basing your boring article on what the media have told you and that is one dfiference between united fans and Manchester CITY fans.

united fans live and feed off anything and everything the media has to say and takes it literally as fact unless it happens to be against and not for united.

Manchester City have just released 3 reserve players and two first team players aka Tutte, Poole and Kay the reserves, then Vidal and Logan first teamers.

Wayne Bridge has already gone and Santa Cruz is leaving for definite, Nedum Onouha is another player who is leaving due to the fact city rate Boyatta higher.

Are you keeping up for that is 5 first teamers already and that aint even including Given, SWP or Jo, dont know why you think City can not accomodate all those players but the fact is, we can and will if possible.

Fear us for we are coming to help beat you scum rags down alongside Chelsea and Barcelona, you were lucky to win the league but you wont be winning it next season, you will be lucky to win anything.

27. First a bit of biog so you guys know where I’m coming from : I’m a working journalist – people are still willing to pay me to write, amazing at the ripe old age of 70. City fan since 1954. Manchester boy, up to 1964, my family had season tickets at both Maine Road and OT. Wanted Manchester teams to win everything until about 1972 when it all got very polarised and you really had to choose which team to give your exclusive support to. I think my background makes me maybe more objective than the average Blue or Red.
    Basically what happened was United got rich, City got skint. And progressively more skint. Then 3 years ago, we got rich and the balance of power started to swing. In order to be able to play with the big boys, City had to spend big and quick. What else could we have done, stuck with stumors like Mick Mills? Good but limited players like Richard Dunne? We had to buy but clearly there was going to be a hit and miss element. To take but one example, Adebayor has all the talent in the world but there’s something about his attitude that didn’t gel with Mancini – I don’t think he likes players who are ‘high maintenance’ so he shipped him out.
    Last year I did a calculation for another site – over a four week period we were linked with no less than 74 players, of which we eventually bought two! Newspapers and websites gain readership through exciting speculation, fact. The author of the article on this site claimed that his stated aim was to ‘shed light on the rumours’ – this he significantly failed to do. After reading it I am still as in the dark as he obviously is over who City are going to buy. But it is clear as daylight that the main purpose of the article was to take a pop at those nouveau riche upstarts City and, as somebody said, there’s a lot of it about. Waste of time, mate, we are getting immune to it.
    If you really want to be a journalist, son, give us FACTS not rumours. Do some genuine research then come back and tell us which three or four players City will buy and why. That way you make your name and gain our respect.

• Jeff says:

You City fans cry bloody-murder every time anyone says anything that may not depict your team as bredwinners. I don’t mind teams spending money. I have no problem with the way a lot of these top teams spend.

I do agree with the author saying because City really does buy guys they don’t need. I don’t blame Mancini because Sheik tells him to spend money. He could either spend it or get fired. I would do the exact same thing. The truth is that city hasn’t targeted their weaknesses because they are so concerned with spending with the other big clubs.

Yes, maybe the author could have cited examples to better articulate his point. If you’re a city fan, you should be hoping they target an accomplished striker to replace Tevez. Tevez leaving city would be a good thing for you guys. He may have been a leading goal scorer, but he did most of that against bum teams with weak defenses. Dzeko’s fine. Balotelli may get better, but you guys need an accomplished premier league striker. It’s pretty hard to upgrade the best defense in the epl and one of the best goalies. The midfield could use some work, but it’s not like Milner’s a bum.

When you already have the team that city has, it’s pretty hard to spend more without it being excessive unless you guys sell some pieces. But that’s the problem. City doesn’t sell guys unless they ask to leave the team a la Tevez, Adebayor, and Robinho.

• Melon Man says:

Jeff,

you assert City buy players they do not need, just to be seen to be “spending” with the big clubs – do you really believe what you just stated?????

Do you honestly think that Mancini isn’t targetting specific players to address weak links in the squad???????

“City doesn’t sell guys unless they ask to leave the team a la Tevez, Adebayor, and Robinho.”

Do you realise how ridiculous a statement the above is? Of course if a player wants to go, then City will let them, if the deal is right for the club, who wants unhappy players disrupting morale?

Other players are on contracts of varying length, and if they are no longer wanted, they’re sold, or they run their contract down, same situation occurs in all professional football clubs,City are no different to anyone else.

Has it occurred to you not many players want to leave City because they actually like being there? (the wages, environment, positive future etc.. all helps).

I think you need to perhaps do a lot more research on City before commenting on a club you ought to be more familiar with.

I suggest using the excellent Newsnow Man City links for day to day stuff, then use the Independent newspaper online archives for some brilliant, unbiased articles on the progress being made at Eastlands with regard to physical infrastructure, youth academy, business and sporting ambitions, finances and so on.

In fact, all you United fans from across the pond could do with brushing up on your facts, it seems we Citizens of Manchester are far more knowledgeable than you with regards our club, and dare I say, yours too.

28. Jdaley says:

you are off base and your bias is shining through. Manchester city are strategically plotting summer moves to fill needs (a world class centre back to partner with Kompany, a creative midfielder to replace Barry, and possibly striker help should Tevez leave). They are doing no differently than Chelsea and to suggest otherwise further reduces your credibility. United are linked with as many players as City, something you fail to realize. In your comments I sense fear of City’s potential to improve upon their finish and awards from last season.

29. WillUK says:

Well then Nic, it’s clear to anyone reading this drivel that you need to go & get yourself a dictionary & look up the word “objective”. And then maybe you can try again!!

30. Alan Knut says:

Really awful article. I would conjecture that the author doesn’t quite live and breath football the same way most of us do. If he did, he would know that you actually can’t trust anything that is ever said about transfers unless it is from the club itself.

Really poorly written, he shouldn’t be allowed to write here again.

31. Larson says:

I stopped reading as soon as you mentioned you’re a Manure fan. Stop pretending that you can be objective!

32. karl says:

United fans wish they had an owner like Mansour. That’s why they love talking about City. It’s just penis envy.

33. StevieBlue says:

After reading the article and the comments may I just say, until I see someone with a cheesy grin holding the blessed blue shirt up with their name on it, it’s just Bullsh1t!
    As for the difference between the owners, the Sheik and his advisers are REAL business men. Uncle Malcolm and his inbred family are fleecing you lot something rotten. Keep buying the Norwich scarves.
    They’ve just posted another loss of 100+m, that was kept quiet wasn’t it? Red Venture (I think it was set up to offset the PIK loans) Tick! Tock! The banks will be circling soon!

34. David says:

Nobody gives a rat’s ass how much money a club spends to win trophies or get into the Champions League. Most clubs who have won the EPL title have spent loads of money along the way. United once paid a record transfer fee for a defender when they bought Ferdinand and another record when they bought Berbatov.

When a club wins a trophy they don’t put an asterisk next to their name with the comment “but they spent zillions of pounds”.

I don’t care how much money a club spends. All I care about is the product on the field.

35. Patrick says:

City’s owner vs United’s owner. Guess which club is more likely to go into bankruptcy. Not City.

By all accounts, Mansour is a soccer fan in the true sense of the word and he knows exactly what the fans want to see. The Glazers know very little about the game and their decisions are only about bank loans and debt. That’s why they are so unpopular with United fans.

• Statsmonster says:

City’s trophies n United trophies….guess who has it more its United….Mansour is a pathetic human being who just want to overtake United by spending money in a idiotic way…n to satisfy Sh**ty fans claming that City ill overtake United ,which is never gonna happen…

36. CCcracker says:

Your supposed attempt at an unbiased look at City is self-evidently hypocritical. Fact is that United fans like yourself are very worried, especially after the Champions League final. All credit to Smart Alex for dragging a mediocre team to the Premier League championship, but against Barcelona, United were exposed as a pub team in decline. The root of the envy is that City have got exactly what United have not but obviously need desperately: cash.

• Silvestre says:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, ‘exposed as a pub team’? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I pity you and your sorry ass club.

Why do United ‘desperately’ need cash? We won the league by nine points and got to the Champions League Final. Just face it, City will always be in the shadows of United, with money or without.

37. DannyH says:

Typical RAG – what an ill thought out piece of biased idiocy! Nice to see you’ve made the statement that you support Man Ure at the beginning of the article.

I’ll take the whole article as just another sign of how worried Man U fans are about little City’s progression.

38. how old are you ?

and are you really as thick as your making out ?

39. I read this week that City spend 107% of their revenue on wages. That is simply unsustainable

40. Robbie says:

Yep…..we’ll have to watch our wayward direction…..after finishing joint second in the league,qualifying for the CL and winning the FA cup…shockingly bad.A bit like this pile of absolute head in the sand rag drivel.

41. Neville-Goater,2-1 says:

To the OP-please remind us how many times slur Alex has broken the British transfer record and in which year he first did it-also remind us how many goalkeepers he purchased after schmeichel left,until by a process of elimination he eventually got to vds? Remember Taibi,Kleberson,Djemba,Bellion,Webb…the list of fergie top dollar flops is endless…moving on,the most expensive teenager in world football history was bought by who again?Who paid £30million for a centre half in 2002,a year after he’d been signed by Leeds for £12million?Veron?£7million for Bebe…£2m more than
    City paid for a player who just captained Argentina….Rags…with a few exceptions-utterly clueless… Displaying a total lack of knowledge of their
    own history,let alone City’s…NEXT!

42. CTID says:

Just another self-obsessed RAG trying spin some spiel against City I’m afraid.

To claim City ‘the poachers’ of the transfer window is absolutely ludicrous. SO what if we have been linked with 5 or 6 different players – do you actually think we will buy all of them – NO! Put bluntly – you have no knowledge whatsoever of City’s transfer policy nor Chelsea’s so it would be best to keep you dirty RAG mouth shut. I would be more concerned about your own team spending in excess of £30 million on two very distinctly average English players – Young & Jones. Young who can’t even break into the England team without injuries and pull-outs!

Simple lesson here NIk Arur – stick to talking about your own club you muppet!

Where is the distinction and evidence that Chelsea have only outlined

43. Trey says:

Having an opinion is one thing. Being ignorant is quite another. The entire article is ignorance personified.

44. ibro says:

The guy has already apologized for the article. can you city fans lay off him now? its starting to reek of an Inferiority complex.

• Glazers wallet says:

No inferiority here mate…it’s called “get put in your place because you’re spouting a load of nonsense on a subject you clearly know very little about.”Typical rag…probably doesnt even know where Manchester is…should seriously wise up on his own club pre-92′..or better still-stick to watching muppets with silly nicknames playing rugby in helmets.

• MUFC77 says:

Ibro

They have had this inferiority complex for years so its nothing new, i understand why they have it of course but they cant help themselves.
        You can spot the City fans that have it easily enough as they are the ones that usually just start hurling personal insults at other posters because they have nothing of value to add to a conversation.

A lot of Citys fans will bring up fair points and can back up arguments as they are knowledgeable about the game in general but then sadly you have the rest of them. Most of these City fans can have a bit of banter with other fans and not resort to just personal insults.

“This is how is feels to be City”

45. maineman says:

Every time a united fan has an opinion, City are always mentioned. Why oh why can you not just leave City out of your opinions and stick to finding out who united are going to buy instead.
    We buy payers, united buy players, who doesn’t? that’s what football is about. Somebody mentioned earlier that united were spending £30 million on a player 10 YEARS AGO and around £30 million on a teenager about 8 YEARS AGO, now that was stupid money then, the only other club who could come near to spending that amount around then was Chelsea.

46. Nik Arur says:

All,

Just want to re-emphasize my regret in posting this article. As I’ve stated already, in retrospect it was poorly done, both research and content-wise.

To all the City supporters who have voiced their criticisms in a constructive manner, I greatly appreciate it. I wholeheartedly admit several glaring errors were made in the article and I’m glad you all shed light on it without attacking me personally.

To the others, I’m not sure what you’re trying to accomplish with your inflammatory remarks, but I’d really appreciate it if you all reigned it in. Like I said, I admit my mistakes and I welcome constructive criticism, but a lot of the things said in these comments are greatly uncalled for. I meant no disrespect to City or its fans in my article, and I’d appreciate it if you expressed those same sentiments regarding me when making your comments.

Cheers

• Nik Arur says:

Also,

I’ve already inquired about removing the article due to its inaccuracies, but I was told that that wasn’t possible, so what’s done is done and I hope we can move on without the article ruffling many more feathers.

Cheers

• in the interests of good relations i`ll except your grovelling apology :)

47. peweegriffin says:

Ive just read that City will as of next season be scrapping the useless reserve team system & instead concentrate their time and effort on what’s called an Elite Development Squad, a side of mainly under-21s in the Barclays Premier Reserve League North.

In addition the club will also enter the Nextgen Series, Which will see our youngsters playing against the elite of European football’s next big superstars from European Giants such as Barcelona, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich, Roma, Liverpool, Celtic etc. This new Champions League-style U19s tournament which starts in 2011-12 will hopefully see City develop even more young players in preparation for the first team thus avoid spending millions of pounds on foreign mercenaries.

This is all fact by the way, & all of which sound’s extremley promising indeed in terms of structure & future development going towards the first team, as this is important planning for hopefully & in my view definatley a very long & sucsessfull campaign in European compotitions.

To argue with your case Sir, firstly Redknapp at Spurs all week on Sky has been harping on about how his chairman needs to invest massively this Summer to keep his already overpriced squad in with any chance of competing again for a top four finish, Chelsea, well, everyone new how desperate they became in January, as they went on to spend over £70 million the majority of which spent on a striker having already had the dream partnership of Drogba & Anelka let alone kalou & as we now all know a very capable Sturridge,( before you say let me point out when this was being done, we had one fit striker in Tevez, balotelli was injured & don’t even get me started on Jo.) & who has now it seems, distrupted the entire way Chelsea play & among other things proberbly cost Chelsea the title.

And finally Utd, having the easiest route imaginable to the Champions League final ( you could argue Chelsea but in the other ties were the prospect of Inter Milan, Real Madrid or Barca so take your pick & the out-come will always be the same.) were absolutley battered by Barca & your response to this? First of all spending £16 risnig to 20 odd million on a virtual unknown & another centre half which you don’t need as you already have about 7 & was only signed due to the fact you were scared Liverpool or Arsenal would get him, so tell me how thats not a waste of money! Second, another £20 odd million on a player who gets nowhere near a starting place for England, & he’s not even Villa’s best player.( Richard Dunne is, thats how bad Villa are!) & let’s not forget, Utd already have in their ranks Nani, Valencia ( ex Wigan) & Giggs so if their plannig on starting with 4 wingers next season I don’t see the logic here either. & last but not least, an unknown goalie from Spain, a nation that already boast’s in goalkeeping terms the likes of, Casillas, Reina & Valdes ( good luck getting past those three mate!) So will never get experience at international level & a player that, you guessed it, will cost £24 million, so this all adds up to what could be in excess of £70 on two players they don’t need, two players with hardly any experience & 3 players who have very poor if not any experience at international level. Compare all this to City’s summer recruitment’s last year & how they all except 1 (Jerome Boeteng injured) contributed in City’s best finish in 35 years. So I can’t see how you can justify your comments

48. zorrin Drax says:

City haven’t spent any money in this transfer window, we haven’t “poached” anyone.

I think we will do a lot of business, both in and out. We will need a bigger squad now we are in the championsleague. We finally know who our first team players are, allowing us to offload the ones who don’t fit in.

Our spending has been artificially limited by not being able to offer champions league football in the past.

Although it’s all quiet on the transfers front right now, I can’t help feeling that the billiard balls are quietly being slipped into a sock. City are the daddy round here.

49. Earl Reed says:

Well according to the interwebtube, United is getting every player on the transfer market. Poachers indeed.

50. Nelson says:

You know, the best thing that could happen to the Premier League would be for every team to get bought through billionaire takeovers. Then we wouldn’t have this “unfair” mentality from the established majors. In my opinion, any move that broadens the premier league out of the Big Four is a good thing.

51. BD says:

Nik, please learn from Brian Connell’s equally inept article a few days ago…Get your facts straight before posting. First impressions are everything and you both have tarnished yours on this site with your shoddy writing.

Cheers

• Nik Arur says:

Not sure what you’re trying to accomplish with this. I’ve already acknowledged everything that you said so I don’t know what you think you’re adding to the situation.

Also, this is not my first article on the site, it is my second, and the first was perfectly well-received. I know I’ve made a mistake, as I’ve already stated several times here, and there’s no reason to beat a dead horse other than to try and leave me discouraged, which no amount of insulting remarks will be able to do.

52. jim says:

Nik Arur.
    im a man city fan,
    dont let the response from this article put you off your want to be a sports writer, believe me, iv come across much worse on even larger webbsites and even newspapers,and remember, practice makes perfect!

thanks 4 your openess of your falling short on certain facts etc..it takes a good person to do this and honesty is in short supply with jernos,period,
    keep up the work mate….