WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

The Manchester United Legend I’d Love To Meet

roy keane The Manchester United Legend Id Love To Meet

Many people, when asked who they would like to meet from any point in history, might pick someone like Leonardo Da Vinci or Alexander the Great. When I heard this question, I thought of Roy Keane, one of the greatest professional soccer players of the modern era. Roy Keane had an illustrious career, most notably donning the red uniform of Manchester United, but also playing for the Irish national team, wearing the captain’s band for both squads. His tenacity and burning desire to win make him one of my heroes and meeting him would provide me with great inspiration.

Keane was not only an excellent soccer player, but a passionate captain, and had a fire inside him that refused to lose. He never gave up, no matter what the odds, which typically led to sparking his team to victory when they were previously losing. One of the most famous instances of this was when United were down to Juventus is the 1999 Champions league. He came up with a captain’s goal, and dragged his side into the final with an inspirational performance, despite the fact he was ruled out of the final against Bayern Munich. His zeal also led to a fiery temper, which occasionally resulted in his ejection from games. Despite this, Keane maintained his attitude, knowing it motivated and elevated his team to become legendary. He never backed down from anyone or anything that posed a challenge no matter how small or how monumental, be it Patrick Vieira, his revenge tackle on Alf Inge Haaland, or criticizing United’s fans.

I, like Keane, always wish to succeed, and for me that is with soccer, school and life in general. At times I have had difficulty picking myself up after setbacks both on the soccer field and in school, so I would love to meet Keane and ask him how he has always managed to do this so well himself. I would discuss with him how even when he got discouraged, he pushed on and maintained the form he had before the injuries or when his team was losing. Finding out what enabled Keane to be the person he is would be my main goal of meeting with him. I hope that I could apply to my own life what Keane would share with me during our conversation.

Roy Keane has had an impact on my life from the first time I watched him play. He has taught me to always yearn for more even after accomplishing a goal. I have learned that if there is a setback in life, not to feel sorry for myself, but to get up and move on. By watching Keane play, I understand that the only way to be successful is to have the desire to excel, not only on the soccer field, but in life as well, whether it is on a test, with a paper, or just homework. After suffering athletic injuries and some sub par grades, I have thought of Keane and have carried on, determined to get back in the game and do better with my school work. Keane has been a role model for me, and I have taken many lessons from him that are not only valid on the soccer field, but have, and will continue to help me lead a successful life.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Manchester United Legend I’d Love To Meet

1. trickybrkn says:

Roy Keane was a thug, a cancer, and an embarrassment to the game. Beyond the red cards, and career ending tackles, he was hardly the captain of the century. He was a player on a good team, that went out to win at all costs. Now maybe that is the model you want to follow. But, to me a captain is a man who inspires without lifting his studs, not to take the ball away but to injure. Think he missed over a dozen games to suspension based on that run in..Captain’s don’t attack the support for not being vocal, although maybe he was onto something with United. Then there was his temper… and his famously walking out on the Irish squad in Korea.

This isn’t a man you want being a role model. He’s the Ron Artest of football.

When you watched him play few drew more vitriol from fans, and it was commonly asked in the 90/early 2000s Who was more hated, Robbie Savage or Roy Keane.

Keane is where he should be, on the couch watching the game from afar.

was never a fan…

• Gazza says:

Indeed. Keane was a c***. Absolute idiot but a half decent footballer. I would never have picked him in my team because of his attitude and his unwarranted arrogance. The man was self-important and nothing else. The world cup disgrace and the Haaland incident (and comments in his book) show he is a petty little man and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

2. Andy says:

I would like to meet him so I can kick him in the balls and break his leg. He is SCUM, a disgrace to the game and thankfully a terrible manager. I just wish he would go away and never come back.

3. harpheeze of man utd says:

i like him and can be like him. man u is a team for the champions and he is born to be that. that was why he’s never relent on pitch. what a great player and captain. nice article. keep it up. fk critics

4. Dave C says:

Looks like people have strong opinions on Roy Keane!

FWIW, I think he was a really poor player from a technical point of view, but I think it’s pretty inspirational that despite this, he could make a career at the top of the game by virtue of sheer will-power and charisma.

That said, he was a dirty cheat, and perhaps if refs in England called the game the same way they do in Europe, he would never have made it as a pro. But I guess the saying is “Don’t hate the player, hate the game” – if refs were too lenient, then who can blame Keane for exploiting that.

5. Mike D says:

Keane was an outstanding player but unfortunately a total lunatic who had a terrible temper and vengeful streak to him. Ignoring the rabid ravings from those at the top of the thread, I (as an Irishman and a United supporter) found myself either cheering or jeering him depending on his excellence at running a midfield or his idiotic and boorish behavior both on and off the field. The shambolic embarrassment at Saipan before the World Cup in 2002 is something I would never forgive him for, he let his personal differences with Mick McCarthy be a reason to walk out on his country (with the encouragement of that spiteful journalist hack Eamon Dunphy it has to be said). His destruction of Haaland’s career is also another unforgivable incident as well as the numerous alcohol fueled antics off the field when he was younger (including 1 where he threatened a friend of mine in a Dublin bar). On the flip side of that, he was a midfield powerhouse for United and Ireland over the years, box to box lung busting runs and simple/effective passing skills to enable the creative geniuses around him. His dogged determination to bring United back into the semi-final of the Champions League when 2-0 down to Juventus in 1999 says a lot about his abilities (and probably his finest moment as a player).

Like many great footballers, he wasn’t blessed with much between his thick skull, and that meant he was a despicable character to opposing fans. I certainly wouldn’t want to meet him, I think as a person he is not someone I would relate to but I do appreciate the positive football moments he had for my country and club I support.

6. Dr G says:

Cantona!!!

7. Be carefull you don’t upset him he has one hell of a temper.

8. Rob476 says:

As usual, the idiots harp on about a “career ending injury” they allege Keane inflicted on on Haaland. Haaland admits himself his career was ended by an injury to the other knee, not the one keane hit in that infamous tackle. Read haalands book, read the PFA report on his retirement, and try exercise your brain, instead of just spouting what you and your idiot friends claim down the pub.

9. Vineet nair says:

Mann, keano a true leader… he has a crazy temper I must admit.
    But that man is a red legend, determined and passionate all he thought about was winning…