THURS, 1PM ET
THURS, 3PM ET
VIL4
ZUR1
THURS, 3PM ET
MON5
APO0

red bull new york arena New York Red Bulls 1 0 Sporting Kansas City: Luke Rodgers Tally Stands For Three Points

Since the insertion of the former Notts County striker Luke Rodgers into the New York Red Bulls side, something special has been happening. They started out slow, but all of a sudden exploded for seven goals at home against the Earthquakes and on the road at DC United. But this time it looked like a strong test was coming to Red Bull Arena as the road warriors Sporting Kansas City came to town.

It would be the only tally of the match, but Rodgers would convert after the quick re-start in the 22nd minute. As Dane Richards was fouled at midfield, Rafa Marquez quickly sent the ball towards the KC area. Thierry Henry with a quick pass to Dwayne DeRosario along the far side attacked, then hit a hard, low cross to an on-coming Rodgers and he converted the strike past keeper Jimmy Nielsen. “It was right place, right time for me.”

Before the match Rodgers suffered a pulled muscle during training this past Thursday and took a fitness test before the match, but sadly he only lasted through the first half. “The last couple of days my knee has been really tight” said Rodgers. “I thought it was OK to get through the start and last through the first forty-five [minutes]. I felt good for thirty minutes, but felt it stiffen up and knew I was done. I hope it’s nothing serious, but they have good physios here and hope it won’t be long term.”

After the goal was scored, ten minutes later the Red Bulls had another chance. Roy Miller took a long distance chance that was stopped by Nielsen, but he spilled the ball. Rodgers saw that and attacked the net. Even though Nielsen did put a hand on the ball, Rodgers tried to score with his right foot, but accidentally hit Nielsen in the face with the left and a big scrum ensued.

“I didn’t catch the keeper. The keeper spilled the ball. I had to go for the ball and I got the ball. Just followed thru and I wasn’t trying to hurt the keeper, but the keeper was fine and I would do the same exact thing again.” But referee Andy Chapman didn’t see it that way and Rodgers was booked for the foul. After the first half was done it was all defense for the Red Bulls in the second as they stonewalled Sporting Kansas City. But at the same time Kansas City couldn’t convert any chance they made for themselves.

But give Jimmy Nielsen credit for stopping the Red Bulls early in the first half. It all started on an early penalty for the Red Bulls in the 14th minute as Dwayne De Rosario was grabbed and fell in the area. Rafa Marquez took the penalty poorly and Nielsen made the big save. Right now the Red Bulls had two chances and converted none. “Yeah that’s one thing. If you get one nil that early, it calms down everything” said Head Coach Hans Back. “First Thierry (Henry), now Rafa (Marquez) will be the next one.”

But right now it looks to be a winning streak with three straight clean sheets for the Red Bulls and only conceding two goals is not bad at all. But now they will prepare for their long distance road trip to Los Angeles and face an old friend in Juan Pablo Angel.

15 Responses to New York Red Bulls 1-0 Sporting Kansas City: Luke Rodgers Tally Stands For Three Points

1. Charles says:

Henry will get all the press, but he is not the reason they are winning.
    2 goals. Marquez and Ream are the reasons they are winning.

Over 20k per game in NY, Sea, Dallas, and Houston.
    MLS Median game is 18,127 ( overlappingrun.com )

• dan says:

what’s up with attendance stats? LA is easily averaging over 20K.

And I disagree with Ream and Marquez. They are doing great but the real ace in this team is Tainio

• Charles says:

I appreciate the color on Tainio, I have only seen a few games.
        He must be like the Alonso of the Sounders. No credit, but you can’t win with out him. See last year for HUGE example.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

I agree. Teemu Tainio has been a fantastic pick up in the D-Mid spot. Ream & Marquez though have also been very good. If it wasn’t for two mental mistakes to allow goals against Houston & at Philly, Red Bulls would have three more points and 0 Goals against.

But Tainio is a fantastic bridge from the defenders to the attacking midfielders.

• Alan says:

Dallas and Houston had over 20k there? That’s great to hear. Philadelphia and Portland had around 18k, which is not bad.

2. CTBlues says:

It was nice to see Redbull Arena almost filled. Hopefully this trend will continue. Can’t wait to see the them play LA on Saturday.

3. Charles says:

Just a nitpicking comment from a MLS Homer.

Why is it when someone perviously played from England it somehow needs to be mentioned ? Like it gives him cred or something. Wasn’t Notts County in 4th division ?

I realize that they have a huge tradition.

But Dane Richards played for Clemson.
    DeRo played for Houston, San Jose, Toronto, and the Richmond Kickers.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Honestly Charles, so many times I have heard from others that the Premiership is the best league in the world and only Premiership players are world class. Sometimes I think ignoring other divisions below the EPL, other leagues and other countries in Europe; we don’t hear about these types of players that have the quality or at least near the quality of those EPL sides.

No one knew about Joel Lindpere till he showed his stuff in MLS. Do you know any Estonians who can play like that from Lindpere? Or Solli from Norway? Some knew about Tainio, but I haven’t till this year.

Also Charles, We all know about DeRo & I don’t even bother with what Dane did in Clemson. He’s up in MLS now. ;-)

• Alan says:

I would argue with anyone that claims that EPL is the best league in the world (or Europe for that matter), but not on an MLS blog. It doesn’t matter to me unless they play good in the MLS.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Agreed Alan. True that I can stop saying these things, but there is always debate on the posting boards and in bars all over NYC & Hoboken, NJ. Same old stuff sadly keeps on popping back up.

• Dave C says:

Really? You’ve heard anyone say that? I can’t imagine there exists such a person in the whole world who thinks only Premier league players are world class.

• Dave C says:

I think it’s just a journalistic flourish, don’t read too much into it. Is Luke Rodgers always described as a “former Notts County striker” (if so, you might have a point), or is it just occasional? I notice this article makes no mention of Henry or Taino’s EPL background, so it doesn’t seem like prior history in England is given that much emphasis.

4. Dave C says:

Daniel, just a general compliment:

As someone who has been critical of your spelling and grammar in the past, I just want to say you seem to have improved massively on that front.

The only minor point I would make (and it’s a request for clarification, rather than a criticism), is that when you quote Rodgers as saying “just followed thru” are you quoting something he said on Twitter, or something he actually said verbally? If it’s the former, you should probably say “just followed thru [sic]“, and if it’s the latter, you should spell it the correct way (through), just to avoid pedants complaining.

5. kuv ;iylv says:

What’s up with the Brazilian flag hanging from the roof of RBA in that picture? Anyone else see that?